Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

If I just got the game should I try to start a game with a "good" seed or just roll with what I have for now and see how it goes?

Also how does the game handle asynchronous progression? I work mostly night shift and play during most people's workdays usually. If I set up a dedicated server (because I think it'd be cool to work on stuff with friends even if not totally contemporaneously with them) and one of them kills a boss or whatever is it dead for the server and I wouldn't be able to kill it later?

The delta between good & bad starting islands is pretty low, bad starting islands are likely to be surrounded by better ones. A "good" seed is one where you have to do less sailing to find good spots, so you can always just do more sailing on a bad seed. It's really not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Oh I missed the second half- if your friends aren't just beating the game without you, the biggest problem will be them hoovering all the surtling cores, copper, and tin off the map while you're still getting started and can't easily relocate. As long as they're conscientious about leaving you a section of the starting island it won't be TOO bad until they beat the whole game (which changes the map in a bad way), and base siege random events which are keyed to the most recent boss.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Just make sure to pick up every material, it's easy to never pick up intermediate ingredients if your friends are making the product, and that's how you learn recipes in this game.

Like my friends had set up beehives and I was wondering how, it's because I had never picked up a queen bee.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Oh I missed the second half- if your friends aren't just beating the game without you, the biggest problem will be them hoovering all the surtling cores, copper, and tin off the map while you're still getting started and can't easily relocate. As long as they're conscientious about leaving you a section of the starting island it won't be TOO bad until they beat the whole game (which changes the map in a bad way), and base siege random events which are keyed to the most recent boss.

Just to clarify: every boss that is defeated increases difficulty for the entire map. There are "events" that only trigger after a boss is defeated. So it's not just beating the whole game, though defeating the last boss is the worst one for novice players.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

If I just got the game should I try to start a game with a "good" seed or just roll with what I have for now and see how it goes?

Just roll the dice, and if something about your seed sucks, just Google "Valheim seed (thing you need)". There are people sharing seeds that have all sorts of different features and you can freely swap between different worlds locally without penalty, which is absolutely wonderful when you're getting started out or have a real lovely corpse run to do.

And like someone mentioned above, "good seed" vs "bad seed" is actually fairly subjective. If you put aside biome location/size and merchant location, almost every gripe about a starting location can be fixed with more exploring.

edit - Good example is my local seed. I haven't found the merchant after sailing for 4+ hours around the continents and I desperately needed the belt he offers, so I started up the seed "42069lolxd" which has a merchant location not far from the starting area. Since it's in the Black Forest, I also do a bunch of copper mining in that world too!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Awesome thanks. I feel like since everyone is generally polite and poo poo we can all agree to work together with timing boss fights and not worry about it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Finding a big swamp does seem to be the key. Especially thin strips of swamp seem to never have crypts.

Well, as soon as I wrote that, I went exploring and came across this nice strip of swamp:

The first crypt alone netted me about 100 scrap iron! I know all crypts aren't as big, but still those crypts should last me a while. That swamp is pretty small though and bordered by some pretty menacing fuling villages. Maybe there's barley there...

My map is basically one really big island with everything except swamp. No shortage of silver here.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Uh oh

Uh oh!

UH OH!

I'm gearing up to kill The Elder and there is a Greydwarf spawner right next door. I didn't get a shot of the final huge mob that was after me because I was too panicked, haha.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

TeaJay posted:

My map is basically one really big island with everything except swamp. No shortage of silver here.

I had a similar strike of good luck with map generation. My large starter island had an entire mountain range in the middle of it. Seventeen silver deposits, some of them massive.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Inzombiac posted:

Uh oh

Uh oh!

UH OH!

I'm gearing up to kill The Elder and there is a Greydwarf spawner right next door. I didn't get a shot of the final huge mob that was after me because I was too panicked, haha.

Looks like a job for Stagbreaker, to me.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

boofhead posted:

There are a few over here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959626

note that you can transfer your character (including inventory and stats) freely between servers, so you could beat the boss, load up on supplies, then port over and not have to start over from scratch. boss difficulty apparently scales with number of players within a certain distance of the boss, and the world in general gets more difficult (in terms of random mobs spawning and attacking your camps) depending on, if i recall correctly, how many bosses have been beaten in that server.. so if youve already got a character that has beaten the first boss, there are probably more reasons to bring it over than to start fresh

I know I'm using the same character, but I'm debating what to bring over to a new world. Like, do I bring a full load out, stuff to make a longship, basic bronze gear, or just some rags and a club.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I bought a copy for a friend and I'm making a new character to play with him. Though, I suppose I could just drop my gear on my personal server and keep gaining skills with my current one? That kinda seems like a hassle, though. Having to make sure I drop stuff if he's hosting so I don't have to keep track of it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd48qaf6OwU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Inzombiac posted:

Uh oh

Uh oh!

UH OH!

Invest in a sword my man

Also a cauldron

E: no wait, you forgot to upgrade to the Bronze Age at your town centre

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Khanstant posted:

I don't agree, the "training dummy" being a rock is a bit silly, but with the way weapon XP is calculated and the way comfort benefits your stamina use, burning excess stamina while you sit around in a base waiting to reload the forge or whatever isn't the same as cheating or instead whacking graylings, which are easier enemies than a rock, but incur much more inventory clutter. Also my rock dojo involved a set of table and chairs I also included in my swings, just because it's fun to bash em and repair em. If training dummies aren't already in the game, it's something I'd expect eventually, along with bullseye hay bales or targets for archery.

I just learned earlier that probably the best "training dummy" is probably a fermenter. I'm remodeling my original base which was basically a giant cluttered barn and I tore apart all the workbenches so it wouldn't let me disassemble the fermenter. No prob, I'll just beat the poo poo out of it. Turns out the thing is a loving dumptruck of hp that's resistant to both blunt and slashing weapons. It took so long to break it with a max level iron mace I thought it might not actually be possible. So yeah, if you want to train weapons skills while waiting for your smelter to finish making GBS threads out iron bars or whatever, that's your ticket. Or if you have the mats, just build a wall of them around your base.

Also was sailing across the ocean at high speed in that super thick fog that someone posted earlier. I was far enough out that I wasn't worried about hitting anything and was just navigating using the minimap when suddenly I slammed into a giant rock (note: not the barnacle creature). Just a giant unmarked rock in the middle of the sea large enough to build a base on. It was large enough and in a spot I'll probably sail through again so I ended up marking it on my map for future excursions.

Edit:

Quill posted:

I had a similar strike of good luck with map generation. My large starter island had an entire mountain range in the middle of it. Seventeen silver deposits, some of them massive.

Lucky. I had just been sailing back from finally having found a mountain that actually had silver in it. It took me hours to find a mountain with silver. So long that I started to think I must be doing something wrong. Also it was halfway across the map and I forgot to set up a blank teleporter before I left, resulting in the lovely return trip full of giant rocks and multiple sea monster attacks :rolleyes:

GENUINE CAT HERDER fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 4, 2021

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Zesty posted:

What do you mean to "terraform the swamp"? I just got to the Swamp in my progression. I have built my new main base a little bit outside of it in a pleasant meadow.

"terraform" might have been a bit exaggerated term here. What SynthesisAlpha said basically, it really makes a difference just using the flatten tool, so you won't end up in knee or waistdeep puddles every step and can tow the cart perfectly through it. It also prevents Leeches from attacking. You can even flatten the ground directly underneath them. The real Death Stranding :v:

I have a base a bit further outside too but my swamp seed there is quite large with (so far) 8 tombs and that cheap pathway with a few lights already makes a huge difference. Also I have to play solo currently so my effort level is pretty low, so yeah I don't pave anything.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Well, found the trader. Does the inventory get new items added from time to time? I'm not swimming in coin, but I also have only killed the first boss

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

genericnick posted:

Well, found the trader. Does the inventory get new items added from time to time? I'm not swimming in coin, but I also have only killed the first boss

Nope come back whenever for whatever you want, it's a fixed set of items and infinite supply

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

genericnick posted:

That's a great find so early. I'd recommend saving for the belt.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm another person who never would have touched the game if it didn't strip out all the things I dislike about survival games. Not having to watch a bunch of bars that drain ridiculously fast and constantly stuffing your face to avoid starving in 5 minutes is great. Free repairs and full material refunds when deconstructing things is great. And not forcing PvP where anyone can come along and make your life miserable is great. I know some people love it, and they're welcome to it, but I've never liked PvP being bolted on to the side of essentially PvE games. It's always jarring when they cross. Like playing solitaire and then someone runs up, sets fire to your cards, and punches you out.

I could not agree more, and as I said before I would love if rare looked at this game and had a change of heart about sea of thieves or someone would make a more carebear friendly version of that game. I'm crazy about pirate poo poo since I played monkey island as a kid but I just can't stand the forced pvp, it feels like I'm paying to be bullied.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Where am I going to find 20 whole raspberries for 12 extra lives?! Do you want me to mark two clusters of berry bushes on my map or something?

If you don't complete the entire game with 25 health and three bars of stamina, are you even really playing it?

Quill posted:

As far as I can tell, all silver veins are uniform in physical size. You can dig out around them and see the distinctive pattern they generate in. As for how many ore drops you get out of them that I don't know.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 4, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that if you parry a rock throw (or arrow, I think) the guy who threw it is so amazed he gets stunned.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

IMO, first purchase from the trader should be belt for everyone. It makes stuff like mass wood/stone/ore harvesting so much easier. After that I'd say it's a toss-up between the light circlet and fishing rod.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Gully Foyle posted:

Ugh, I thought I had identified a great spot for a main base on my starting island - nice big meadow, big flat area for building, and even a semi-sheltered harbour. Built a ship to explore, and it turns out that this water is actually completely enclosed - big enough that there's even some Ocean biome in the middle, but no exit to the rest of the world.

Sounds to me like your next project involves finding nearest path from the lake to the sea proper and a lot of time with a pickace.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Also, regarding stones, I wish they'd let us use the stonecutter to turn stones into "stone blocks" or something that you could use to build stone structures anywhere, it's annoying having to move the stonecutter around. The workshop isn't that big of a deal, since it's fairly cheap so you can just plop it down wherever.

You should be able to upgrade your cart to serve as a mobile crafting station. As a bonus it could let you build directly from the carts inventory.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

As far as I can tell, all silver veins are uniform in physical size. You can dig out around them and see the distinctive pattern they generate in. As for how many ore drops you get out of them that I don't know.

Yeah, I think the T-shaped deposits gave me the most ore. Probably just RNG though.

Also, it would be nice if maxing out the pickaxe skill gave us even one extra nugget of metal.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Valtonen posted:

Sounds to me like your next project involves finding nearest path from the lake to the sea proper and a lot of time with a pickace.

Fair warning, you can only dig down about 8m (4 "tiles")

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Valtonen posted:

Please don't give me ideas about building canals, I was already thinking about making a "drive through" harbor of sorts.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sushibandit posted:

This is likely a similar generation thing as copper nodes in the Forest biome - they only spawn beyond a certain distance from the shore from what I've seen.

I’ve come across copper that was less than 20m from the shore, but it does seem to be less common. The land rose pretty steeply there, so that might be part of it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I've seen some hanging off slopes almost adjacent to the water. My guess is it's elevation gated.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have a small base in a ruin right next to the shore and there is a big copper rock next to it.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

OwlFancier posted:

I like that if you parry a rock throw (or arrow, I think) the guy who threw it is so amazed he gets stunned.

It's awesome. Greydwarves going all "whoaaaa! Did you see that?!" never gets old.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Good, went with the belt. I noticed I have access to sharpened stakes. How do you use those? Do Greydwarfs just impale themselves on them?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

genericnick posted:

Good, went with the belt. I noticed I have access to sharpened stakes. How do you use those? Do Greydwarfs just impale themselves on them?

They do do damage (to you as well), but it's pretty negligible. The most interesting part is it knocks them back a couple meters.

They do keep stuff from punching your walls but they take damage themselves so it's not a zero maintenance defense. Archers will stand back and fire arrows at them until they break.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also I'm pretty sure you don't get the wood back if they break so it's a bit annoying to keep rebuilding them, so I don't bother. They don't seem to survive many hits (or things walking into them) either.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Near my main house/base is a constant greydwarf vs skeleton thunderdome and it's massively affecting performance. When I go around and pick up every drop it gets better, but it's annoying to need to do so. Drops do not need to last as long as they do, especially when stuff like greydwarves drop 3-4 different items.

IMO, drops should last <1 in game day outside of a workbench area and <1 week within a workbench. And it should go the route that many other games do that if a mob drops multiple items it drops as a single drop in a sack or similar.

For reference it's one friend and I running off a dedicated server that's an old machine of his. It meets the requirements, but ho boy does it struggle when there's triple digit things on the ground.

OwlFancier posted:

Also I'm pretty sure you don't get the wood back if they break so it's a bit annoying to keep rebuilding them, so I don't bother. They don't seem to survive many hits (or things walking into them) either.

You can repair them, but if they break or if you break them down with the hammer you don't get anything back.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah the spikes are not really worth it but they can be funny sometimes.

Once you can make stone, making a 2 unit high wall should be your first priority.

Trolls and still knock it down but most everything else can be dispatched before they're a real threat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still think a trench with stakewalls on one side is a perfectly good (and nice looking) defence. If they added an earthen fillpiece for making earth ramparts it would be golden. You can cover it up with grass and wood planks but it still looks a bit jank sometimes.

Basically I want to surround the base with hahas. Or hohos I guess if trolls are involved.

Also let me snap smaller spikes to the outside of the stakewalls. And give me proper iron spikes too later on for stonework.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 4, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Basically I want to surround the base with hahas

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Real life already solved the problem of how to keep the plebians out of your estate without obstructing the view, millions of greydwarfs dead by capability brown and his invention: the ditch with a wall in it.