Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
i miss her so much. feel like poo poo, just want her back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

pokchu posted:

i miss her so much. feel like poo poo, just want her back

What is grief, if not love persevering?

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
D2 Remaster :cool:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

NoMas posted:

D2 Remaster :cool:

It's being headed by the team who did the Tony Hawk remaster and that was fantastic so I have...hope?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

God what a fun game why did they have to go gently caress it up? Huh Gaz?

Because they made the stupid decision of listening to the jerk who hated unlimited travel powers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it was all downhill when they decided they needed more cash and the only solution was console

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
all they had to do was pm icr

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Ghostlight posted:

it was all downhill when they decided they needed more cash and the only solution was console

It's honestly a masterclass in how to destroy a small but loyal fanbase. Completely ignore the people that actually pay money so you can rebuild the entire game for ??? reasons ??? and maybe make money off more people.

Seriously what was the reason to change every stat and itemization.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
IIRC it wasn't just Gaz wanting to make money off more people for their own wallets. Disney wasn't really keen on maintaining any of the existing licenses and it seems like it was an attempt at a hail mary of "look, we're not just holding steady on money, we're even EXPANDING."

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Speaking of stats, it was always funny to me how every unique had poo poo like, "40% chance on attack to increase critical damage by 25% for 15 seconds" and similar things that would obviously have 99% uptime, instead of simply having the piece increase critical damage by 25%. It was a workaround for some weird bug, iirc. Also, blah blah Item Budget blah blah.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

I think there may have been a licensing thing where they still had the console rights but thought they were going to lose the PC rights. Regardless, it made the game die twice. Like the stroke that disables a beloved grandfather and sends him to hospice.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Shine posted:

Speaking of stats, it was always funny to me how every unique had poo poo like, "40% chance on attack to increase critical damage by 25% for 15 seconds" and similar things that would obviously have 99% uptime, instead of simply having the piece increase critical damage by 25%. It was a workaround for some weird bug, iirc. Also, blah blah Item Budget blah blah.

I think they said at some point it was more efficient on the system to give conditional boosts over persistent effects. How that's supposed to make sense I don't know, but they also somehow managed to make the game run worse on low graphics settings over max so...

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Ghostlight posted:

I don't follow. It's not like the game used enough buttons that there'd be a problem with conversion.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Bloodly posted:

I don't follow. It's not like the game used enough buttons that there'd be a problem with conversion.

Controller layout wasn't the issue. Conversion is rarely straightforward and it's the kind of work that takes considerable time, money and manpower. Gaz was low on all three. Also, going through certification every time you need to patch your game on console platforms is a real ball ache. I remember their quick fixes during big events. Those would've been a clusterfuck on console.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
it was the new CEO’s opinion that pc was dead and porting to console was the only way to survive. he was also a sex pest of some kind, and brought gaz down with him.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
The plan was haphazard and made in a mad scramble. A saint couldn't have pulled it off. I don't recall much about the allegations, but they sure as poo poo didn't help any. The way in which their management decided to shut the studio down and burn both players, as well as staff one last time... That chaps my rear end to this day.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
yeah but they forgot to actually turn the servers off for like 4 days so lol

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

It's being headed by the team who did the Tony Hawk remaster and that was fantastic so I have...hope?

It is now. The work prior to Blizzard buying that studio was all being done by the god awful team that did the Warcraft 3 Reforged work, so...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bloodly posted:

no it played fine. the issue was they froze developing anything for the pc version except for half-assed backports of the stuff they changed for the console version because they didn't have the workforce to maintain two separate versions except come release whoops someone decided all the itemisation would change on console so now that's exactly what they were doing.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Zaodai posted:

It is now. The work prior to Blizzard buying that studio was all being done by the god awful team that did the Warcraft 3 Reforged work, so...

shut up shut up shut UP I refuse to believe this and choose to believe they're banging it out in a year since it comes out 2021

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I know I was a shamefully bad player but I just rewatched one of my submissions on Nova and literally no ARPG these days has that much actual zoom zoom gameplay

Jesus I miss this game

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'd love to have a private server for this game, but let's be honest:

It wouldn't be nearly as fun without Gazillion there to Gaz it up.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

I'd love to have a private server for this game, but let's be honest:

It wouldn't be nearly as fun without Gazillion there to Gaz it up.

as if a private server could afford to pay someone for the vital role of switch flipper

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I know I was a shamefully bad player but I just rewatched one of my submissions on Nova and literally no ARPG these days has that much actual zoom zoom gameplay

Jesus I miss this game

Being able to rip rear end up one side of the map and down the other with absolutely no downtime like a six year old on a birthday sugar rush is the thing I miss the most

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I remember Wanda, Silver Surfer and Dr. Doom had incredibly long teleport ranges (pre-nerf) and and basically no cooldown. Going across an entire campaign map in like 3 seconds was stupid as hell and I miss it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You could spam Deadpool’s teleport with no cool down. It was incredibly fun. Although elbow drop Juggy was the best way I’ve seen him interpreted in a game to date.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I liked Nightcrawler because they actually delivered on the idea of "character who is constantly invisible and dodging and teleporting" in a way that was like, balance is stupid, just kill poo poo really fast and have fun

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Being able to rip rear end up one side of the map and down the other with absolutely no downtime like a six year old on a birthday sugar rush is the thing I miss the most

Also movement as the way to do damage, absolutely lit af fam

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Shine posted:

I remember Wanda, Silver Surfer and Dr. Doom had incredibly long teleport ranges (pre-nerf) and and basically no cooldown. Going across an entire campaign map in like 3 seconds was stupid as hell and I miss it.

Dr. Doom had a teleport that would put the Diablo 2 sorceress to shame. It was glorious, and his damage was stupidly high too. He was basically the epitome of power creep.

It made Juggy not as fun as he could be, since he was supposed to be a movement champ but without a godlike teleport he was never going to be move-y. Still, he had the people's elbow and he made fun of Professor X for being a cripple, so there's that.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Zaodai posted:

Dr. Doom had a teleport that would put the Diablo 2 sorceress to shame. It was glorious, and his damage was stupidly high too. He was basically the epitome of power creep.

He also worked great as an active summoner, which most ARPGs still can't figure out. Doom could summon one Cinderbot, one Aerobot, six Servo-soldiers and three Doombots. In between activations he'd shoot magical bullshit all over the place. Christ, they even gave him an airstrike called "Latverian Air Defense" that stunned enemies in addition to doing heaps of damage. That said, it was great fun and fit the character perfectly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I was okay sacrificing a teleport for forever-charging because being efficient is great but watching models rag doll away from your head while screaming about google was also great.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

dr doom was my last char before the servers went down

requiescat in pace

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I liked Nightcrawler because they actually delivered on the idea of "character who is constantly invisible and dodging and teleporting" in a way that was like, balance is stupid, just kill poo poo really fast and have fun

The best was his teleport grab people in an aoe into a ball combo'd with when they broke aoes to have infinite range. Load into MM and grab the whole zone into one massive katamari.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Quill posted:

He also worked great as an active summoner, which most ARPGs still can't figure out. Doom could summon one Cinderbot, one Aerobot, six Servo-soldiers and three Doombots. In between activations he'd shoot magical bullshit all over the place. Christ, they even gave him an airstrike called "Latverian Air Defense" that stunned enemies in addition to doing heaps of damage. That said, it was great fun and fit the character perfectly.

people remember the ridiculous parts of MH mostly but the sheer mechanical variety is a big part of why this game dying sucks

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
yeah no other game in the genre has gotten down letting you feel as fast and explosive as this game did at it's best. more or less everything else still hews too close to diablo 2.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hauki posted:

dr doom was my last char before the servers went down

requiescat in pace

Same. I'd almost finished Cosmicing him before the movement change and after that my heart wasn't in it anymore.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2HntbHIGf0

Who wants to bet that Perfect World just bought this game's engine and repurposed it into a MTG game?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

SNOT CORN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2HntbHIGf0

Who wants to bet that Perfect World just bought this game's engine and repurposed it into a MTG game?

Oh good, it's another medieval fantasy ARPG. Looks forgettable.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Legends in the Marvel Heroes system would be great. All those useless buttons nobody uses? Well now you have to, because your buttons rotate, gently caress YOU!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Quill posted:

Oh good, it's another medieval fantasy ARPG. Looks forgettable.

Looks like something you can hit buttons in while listening to podcasts/ watching streams, so right in anyone in this thread's wheelhouse.