Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Some say too high memory controller voltages burn cpu's. Actual voltages may differ from mobo reported voltages. Did you OC ram, cpu, or use some auto OC settings on mobo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Not as far as I know. I have a ASrock X570 Phantom 4S. Unless it autoOC'd the CPU. The memory voltage spec with XMP is 1.35v. CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Cygni posted:

double post because TR Pro is now heading to retail, meaning here comes the retail WRX80 motherboards
gently caress the TR Pro, give us the 5000 series Threadrippers instead.

(Like that's going to happen anytime soon, with what not even being able to supply sensible numbers of 59x0X CPUs.)

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Well, out of the blue today my Asrock B550 just developed the USB issue after running fine for a month and a half. Hopefully they can figure something out with it soon. I’ve tried all the usual fixes and it’s still persisting.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Okay, so after my last post where I was like "hey I'd like to do x/y/z with X570" and someone said "Can you afford Threadripper?" it seems like I've overestimated what Ryzen can do. So then I went to another site's forums and was like "what's the deal with chipsets and PCIE" and got called an 'old person' by posters there so I need to ask what the PCIE demands of m.2 drives are.

Really what this comes down to is I want to end all reliance on standalone hard drives held in brackets by the chassis and cabled to the motherboard, and get ready for a future where 100% of my storage on the machine are on these awesome little chip-cards. My understanding is that an NVME uses 4 lanes of PCIE, so if I buy a motherboard that can split the lanes x8/x8 between two sockets between the GPU slot and a second slot, I can run 2 NVME's in that second slot, yes? The GPU would be cut to x8, but at PCIE4 that would be equivalent to x16 of PCI3. Again, is that right?

Do the two m.2 slots on the motherboard itself factor into this? I basically want to know how many m.2 based drives I can use because gently caress cabling drives for sata and power forever. The best cable management is just not having cables.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Craptacular! posted:

Okay, so after my last post where I was like "hey I'd like to do x/y/z with X570" and someone said "Can you afford Threadripper?" it seems like I've overestimated what Ryzen can do. So then I went to another site's forums and was like "what's the deal with chipsets and PCIE" and got called an 'old person' by posters there so I need to ask what the PCIE demands of m.2 drives are.

Really what this comes down to is I want to end all reliance on standalone hard drives held in brackets by the chassis and cabled to the motherboard, and get ready for a future where 100% of my storage on the machine are on these awesome little chip-cards. My understanding is that an NVME uses 4 lanes of PCIE, so if I buy a motherboard that can split the lanes x8/x8 between two sockets between the GPU slot and a second slot, I can run 2 NVME's in that second slot, yes? The GPU would be cut to x8, but at PCIE4 that would be equivalent to x16 of PCI3. Again, is that right?

Do the two m.2 slots on the motherboard itself factor into this? I basically want to know how many m.2 based drives I can use because gently caress cabling drives for sata and power forever. The best cable management is just not having cables.

For the first part of the question about running 2 drives in a slot - this is dependent on how the slot bifurcation is set up. If it is simply a x8 in one slot (slot 1) and x8 in the other (slot 2), you can run a pcie gen4 in slot 1 at x8 (the speed would be totally fine for regular GPU usage) but in slot 2 you could only run a single SSD in the x8 unless the motherboard supports bifurcating to x4x4 OR you have an add in card that has a PCIe switch that goes from the x8 in the slot to 2+ x4 m.2s. This would be spendy as pcie switches aren't that cheap and are mostly only found on really high end motherboards or enterprise setups. It's also unlikely the motherboard supports that bifurcation but it is possible!

For the m.2 slots on the motherboard they are often one of them is connected directly to the CPU - as non HEDT cpus usually max out at 20 user accessible PCIe lanes to the CPU, 16 to the slots and 4 for the nvme. The 2nd m.2 slot is most likely connected to the chipset (which is connected to the CPU via 4 more PCIe lanes) and may be a lower PCIe speed (gen3 instead of gen4).

Usually the best thing is to check the manual for the motherboard and see if they have the diagram mapping out where everything is connected.

So the tl;dr is you should be able to get 3 NVMe drives fairly easily (although will need an add in card to m.2 adapter for the one in the slot) and above that you're getting into extra bucks for a pcie switch fanout card.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

What do you plan on doing with that much fast storage? And I think to sort of answer the question it depends more or less on the motherboard how the pcie lanes are allocated but if you have a high end x570 board I doubt that you could run in to a reasonable situation where something plugged in doesn't work. You will probably experience some minor performance degradation but I don't think that in your case you would notice much. But really this is a paper exercise since an 8tb nvme drive is >$1400.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I understand the competing interests of wanting moar storage and avoiding cables, but having a case which keeps most of the cabling under the motherboard and out of sight goes a long way to helping, at least for me. My case could use another 1/2 inch of space for the cables (it's a tight fit and I should really get in there and anchor things differently, but the side closes and I keep putting it off), but just having the cables routed back there means the only visible cables in my case are power cables to the mobo and GPU, USB cables to the headers for the case connectors, audio cables for the same reason, and small cables going to my PCIe wireless/Bluetooth card. I have 2 NVME drives on the motherboard itself, then all the other drives are hidden behind the motherboard.

1TB + 512GB NVME as boot drives, then a 2TB and 3 1TB SSDs for data. It's probably more space than I need, but it's also one of the few places left where I could potentially upgrade my machine and the itch is definitely there.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

priznat posted:

For the first part of the question about running 2 drives in a slot - this is dependent on how the slot bifurcation is set up.
If it helps, I'm only considering Asus boards, namely the B550-E and X570-E. Both support SLI and the B550's manual even includes a table about Asus's m.2 host card. Both boards have a "PCIE Raid Mode" switch that when enabled splits the other port into x4/x4 for running two m.2 drives. My understanding then is that I can run two m.2's on that card and then one each in the boards's built in slots, while still having x8 leftover for graphics.

Asus now makes a newer board called B550-XE that includes that host card, but to put all four drives on it you would have to put your GPU in the chipset's Gen3 slot.

HERAK posted:

What do you plan on doing with that much fast storage? And I think to sort of answer the question it depends more or less on the motherboard how the pcie lanes are allocated but if you have a high end x570 board I doubt that you could run in to a reasonable situation where something plugged in doesn't work. You will probably experience some minor performance degradation but I don't think that in your case you would notice much. But really this is a paper exercise since an 8tb nvme drive is >$1400.

One drive for Windows boot, one drive for Linux boot, and probably an additional non-boot drive mechanism for each. I may just buy a larger third drive that I can partition two ways if it's easier, but I'm a dual-booter who likes keeping each system on a different device. My only real goal here is to get rid of my drives that use mounting cages and SATA ports, hell if one of the drives wasn't even NVME and was m.2 SATA it wouldn't be the end of the world (though it likely won't be, as I already bought an SN550 to eventually be the Linux boot drive). Rhe likelyhood that I need PCIE4 out of every slot seems unlikely but I'm looking at the price of gen4 and it isn't that much more.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

If it helps, I'm only considering Asus boards, namely the B550-E and X570-E. Both support SLI and the B550's manual even includes a table about Asus's m.2 host card. Both boards have a "PCIE Raid Mode" switch that when enabled splits the other port into x4/x4 for running two m.2 drives. My understanding then is that I can run two m.2's on that card and then one each in the boards's built in slots, while still having x8 leftover for graphics.

Asus now makes a newer board called B550-XE that includes that host card, but to put all four drives on it you would have to put your GPU in the chipset's Gen3 slot.

That's slick! Sounds like it'll work well then for the 4 drives.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

One drive for Windows boot, one drive for Linux boot, and probably an additional non-boot drive mechanism for each. I may just buy a larger third drive that I can partition two ways if it's easier, but I'm a dual-booter who likes keeping each system on a different device. My only real goal here is to get rid of my drives that use mounting cages and SATA ports, hell if one of the drives wasn't even NVME and was m.2 SATA it wouldn't be the end of the world (though it likely won't be, as I already bought an SN550 to eventually be the Linux boot drive). Rhe likelyhood that I need PCIE4 out of every slot seems unlikely but I'm looking at the price of gen4 and it isn't that much more.

If you really want to avoid cables what about using a PCIe NVME card where the drive just lives on the PCIe card?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If you really want to avoid cables what about using a PCIe NVME card where the drive just lives on the PCIe card?

That's what the Asus host card I keep bringing up is. I'm just trying to figure out how many unique devices you can run, since I don't understand gen3 vs gen4 and how lanes work. It seems a single gen4 NVME uses 4 lanes, but PCIE4 lanes are double the speed of PCI3 lanes. So can I run PCIE3 x8 device in a PCIE4 x4 slot and get full speed?

This is up there with USB naming schemes for disparity between marketing and tech specs.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm sure this has been asked to death but for some reason my googling is totally failing me - what's the recommended method to reduce PPT on a 5000 series CPU?

I've got my 5900X (NH-U12A) in an NR200 and was hitting close to 90C in Valheim of all things. I've moved my case to a bookshelf and while it's more restricted than on my desk, it's still got decent inches of space above, behind, and to the side for intake and exhaust.

I want to try and reduce thermals with PPT before I spring for a 280mm AIO.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

That's what the Asus host card I keep bringing up is. I'm just trying to figure out how many unique devices you can run, since I don't understand gen3 vs gen4 and how lanes work. It seems a single gen4 NVME uses 4 lanes, but PCIE4 lanes are double the speed of PCI3 lanes. So can I run PCIE3 x8 device in a PCIE4 x4 slot and get full speed?

This is up there with USB naming schemes for disparity between marketing and tech specs.

Oh, no pcie gen3 means each lane (tx/rx pair) runs at 8GT/s, whereas gen4 means they run at 16GT/s. A pcie3 device will always top out at 8GT/s. If it is plugged into a gen4 slot it will work fine at gen3 speed (pcie will train to the maximum speed that both supports) but you need to have both a gen4 host and endpoint to get gen4 speeds.

It’s way less bad than usb.

(GT/s = giga transfers per second, it’s denoted this way because the different widths can give different raw throughput values)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Ah, I had been picturing some kind of m2 splitter or something. Carry on.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Noobles posted:

Well, out of the blue today my Asrock B550 just developed the USB issue after running fine for a month and a half. Hopefully they can figure something out with it soon. I’ve tried all the usual fixes and it’s still persisting.

What CPU are you pairing with it? Some people are finding running VDDG IOD at around 1060 - 1080 (CCD 950-1020) has fixed USB issues/crackling, but also that means VSOC should be like 1.1 - 1.1375

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Saw an article and confirmed that 5800x's look like they're back in stock; I bought a 3900xt right before COVID shut everything down and I just now finally got a graphics card delivered so I have to decide if I want to try and sell the 3900xt and put the money towards the 5800x. Is this going to be worth the hassle of trying to sell and risking stock shortages? I see a lot of comparisons online between the 3900 and 5900, but cant find much to see if there's going to be a huge performance gain (mostly just gaming on this).

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

PageMaster posted:

Saw an article and confirmed that 5800x's look like they're back in stock; I bought a 3900xt right before COVID shut everything down and I just now finally got a graphics card delivered so I have to decide if I want to try and sell the 3900xt and put the money towards the 5800x. Is this going to be worth the hassle of trying to sell and risking stock shortages? I see a lot of comparisons online between the 3900 and 5900, but cant find much to see if there's going to be a huge performance gain (mostly just gaming on this).

I've seen 5800s in stock a lot. Probably not that hard to get one. Maybe try to get one first before selling the 3900

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

PageMaster posted:

I see a lot of comparisons online between the 3900 and 5900, but cant find much to see if there's going to be a huge performance gain (mostly just gaming on this).

5800 and 5900 are going to be close to identical in games. I wouldn't bother moving from a 3900xt unless you play a lot of MS flight simulator.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

ijyt posted:

I'm sure this has been asked to death but for some reason my googling is totally failing me - what's the recommended method to reduce PPT on a 5000 series CPU?

It depends on your mobo, not on the CPU itself, so check your mobo manual. It is frequently found under overclocking and/or PBO options, to give you a bit of a head start.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
It's really amazing how quick Precision Boost 2 is. Running cinebench r23 it will push the clocks until it hit's 90C and then stay there perfectly. I have never seen it go over once. The second the benchmark ends they drop down to like 40C almost instantly. My scores are fine for my 5800x, around 15260 on the multicore test, so it doesn't seem like it's hurting performance. I haven't seen anything like it before. I am a bit worried about the temps but they are nowhere near that high in gaming. I am pretty sure my heatsink should be up to the task, I am using a Mugen 5 rev B.

Is this sort of behaviour similar to what you all are seeing?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Shemp the Stooge posted:

It's really amazing how quick Precision Boost 2 is. Running cinebench r23 it will push the clocks until it hit's 90C and then stay there perfectly. I have never seen it go over once. The second the benchmark ends they drop down to like 40C almost instantly. My scores are fine for my 5800x, around 15260 on the multicore test, so it doesn't seem like it's hurting performance. I haven't seen anything like it before. I am a bit worried about the temps but they are nowhere near that high in gaming. I am pretty sure my heatsink should be up to the task, I am using a Mugen 5 rev B.

Is this sort of behaviour similar to what you all are seeing?

I had the same temps with the same CPU and cooler, the bad news is I've heard that there are problems with the Mugen 5 rev B having insufficient mounting pressure and from my personal experiences this seems to be true. After I moved my 5800X to a different build with an NZXT Kraken X53 my temps went down by 10-15C maxing out at 80C worst case rather than the 90C limit. The good news is that the performance difference between running it at 90C vs 75-80C was basically nothing, it doesn't care about being hot.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

gently caress the TR Pro, give us the 5000 series Threadrippers instead.

(Like that's going to happen anytime soon, with what not even being able to supply sensible numbers of 59x0X CPUs.)

I ordered a P620, should have been here end of Feb but they just updated the delivery info to early April.

Good luck getting anything the coming months.......

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

MaxxBot posted:

I had the same temps with the same CPU and cooler, the bad news is I've heard that there are problems with the Mugen 5 rev B having insufficient mounting pressure and from my personal experiences this seems to be true. After I moved my 5800X to a different build with an NZXT Kraken X53 my temps went down by 10-15C maxing out at 80C worst case rather than the 90C limit. The good news is that the performance difference between running it at 90C vs 75-80C was basically nothing, it doesn't care about being hot.

ah, well I guess it's good to know it's not just me. I will probably look into other cooling solutions if I can't get this working better. Going to try adding a fan for push/pull.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

mdxi posted:

It depends on your mobo, not on the CPU itself, so check your mobo manual. It is frequently found under overclocking and/or PBO options, to give you a bit of a head start.

Aaah got it, thank you!

e: Though before I touch something, getting some weird behaviour. Tried running a Prime95 stress test and despite it showing as running, my 5900X was hovering around 65C and didn't seem to be getting taxed. I quit the test, started installing Cinebench, and it spikes to 72C during a simple install. I am very confused by this CPU. Using HWiNFO to monitor.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 8, 2021

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

ijyt posted:

You can use Ryzen Master to try out capping PPT in the Win10 environment, you just need to keep Ryzen Master running while running benchmarks or whatever. Like mdxi posted, ultimately you want to set that in BIOS (specifics depend on board) but many folks start off in Windows with Ryzen Master to "dial in" their PPT cap.

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 8, 2021

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

ijyt posted:

Tried running a Prime95 stress test and despite it showing as running, my 5900X was hovering around 65C and didn't seem to be getting taxed. I quit the test, started installing Cinebench, and it spikes to 72C during a simple install. I am very confused by this CPU. Using HWiNFO to monitor.

Are you testing it with 24 threads and small FFTs in Prime95?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Inept posted:

Are you testing it with 24 threads and small FFTs in Prime95?

Yup, had it set as so:

denereal visease posted:

You can use Ryzen Master to try out capping PPT in the Win10 environment, you just need to keep Ryzen Master running while running benchmarks or whatever. Like mdxi posted, ultimately you want to set that in BIOS (specifics depend on board) but many folks start off in Windows with Ryzen Master to "dial in" their PPT cap.

Oh hot, thank you - had completely forgotten about that tool.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

ijyt posted:

Aaah got it, thank you!

e: Though before I touch something, getting some weird behaviour. Tried running a Prime95 stress test and despite it showing as running, my 5900X was hovering around 65C and didn't seem to be getting taxed. I quit the test, started installing Cinebench, and it spikes to 72C during a simple install. I am very confused by this CPU. Using HWiNFO to monitor.

How many watts is it using during P95? I think seeing higher temps in Cinebench vs P95 is normal for Zen 2 and Zen 3 actually, very different than on Intel CPUs.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

How many watts is it using during P95? I think seeing higher temps in Cinebench vs P95 is normal for Zen 2 and Zen 3 actually, very different than on Intel CPUs.

About 125 watts on the package power, 93 on the cower power. PPT is at 125 watts while running P95. Also mind that that was simply installing Cinebench, not even running it.

The more I think about it the more I'm starting to think that I was seeing the 80-90C temps when the GPU was running and dumping heat into the CPU.

e: Ah the Blend test seems to get it going in Prime95.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 8, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AMD is gonna launch Zen3 Epyc (Milan) on March 15th, the same day intel launches Rocket Lake. Savage.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

That specific card has specific mobos / configuration it will support and that is mostly making sure the CPU and BIOS support taking the x16 link and bifurcating to x4/x4/x4/x4. It has no active circuitry on it and won't work any other way unless its fed 4 individual PCIe links on specific pins. That said, it would technically work with x2/x2/x2/x2 or x1/x1/x1/x1 but the host machine would have be wired up in a specific configuration to each link onto the right pins.

I got one for my TRX40 board where I'm just going to take one of the x16 slots and fill it w/ M.2 to U.2 adapters and/or M.2 drives.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Cygni posted:

AMD is gonna launch Zen3 Epyc (Milan) on March 15th, the same day intel launches Rocket Lake. Savage.

https://youtu.be/571BuZeeQjE

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Cygni posted:

Does anyone know how long have the gaps have been between AMD releasing a new Epyc gen and the likes of Dell offering servers with the new CPUs? I was told months which seems a bit poo poo.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know of site that does good CPU comparisons for live streaming games/3d/multiple video sources? I'm leaning towards getting a 5900X since it's the last stop on my chipset (not counting the way to expensive, to me, 5950X). I'd like to be able to use CPU encoding as it is usually higher quality and more customizable in general. Unfortunately 5800X is what's available for the last couple of weeks, not the 5900X. I suspect even the 5800X will be giving me what I want but I'm trying to see what results others have had. Failing that, opinions?

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Xaris posted:

What CPU are you pairing with it? Some people are finding running VDDG IOD at around 1060 - 1080 (CCD 950-1020) has fixed USB issues/crackling, but also that means VSOC should be like 1.1 - 1.1375

I’m running it with a 3700x. Haven’t messed with those settings but I’ll definitely give it a shot!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I've been tracking stock at major retailers for a while, just for fun as I got a 5900X a while ago. This is the first time I've seen both the 5600X and the 5800X in stock and at MSRP from a major retailer. Hopefully the higher end SKUs will soon follow.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

MaxxBot posted:

I've been tracking stock at major retailers for a while, just for fun as I got a 5900X a while ago. This is the first time I've seen both the 5600X and the 5800X in stock and at MSRP from a major retailer. Hopefully the higher end SKUs will soon follow.

Yeah, someone must have started clapping, because the 5800X has been online at Best Buy for the last two days.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
A bunch of UK online computer shops has had the 5600 and 5800 in stock for a while now. AMD seems to be doing alright keeping the production going for those parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
AMD does a much better job of allowing user-settable bifurcation settings than team blue but its also a crapshoot and dependent on BIOS/motherboard vendor.