Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Looking forward to it. MLA is great but I was always curious about what would happen after MLU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

psychoJ posted:

finished umineko. very good, satisfying ending. don't know that i liked it as much as higurashi, but it was still thoroughly enjoyable.

might try reading ciconia later, or take a break from vns for a bit

ciconia is a must-read

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

psychoJ posted:

finished umineko. very good, satisfying ending. don't know that i liked it as much as higurashi, but it was still thoroughly enjoyable.

might try reading ciconia later, or take a break from vns for a bit

Cons of reading Ciconia now: Phase 2 is delayed due to COVID, price can be a bit steep

Pros of reading Ciconia now: Somehow, despite being written in 2019, it is about 2020; you can meet all of Ryukishi's new beautiful children who I would die for

The delay gives an understandable reason to put it off, but I personally really love Ciconia for something that's only got one installment so far.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

RIP ciconia, suspended for being too prescient.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Looking forward to it. MLA is great but I was always curious about what would happen after MLU

My controversial opinion is that MLU is better than MLA.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

My controversial opinion is that MLU is better than MLA.

I can feel that. Unlimited has such a uniquely melancholy atmosphere.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Its actually a pretty common take

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
decided to read Me and You and Her because it's on the extreme shorter side compared to higurashi and umineko and wow. i'm having a good time with my friends aoi and miyuki

e: just now finding out that aoi loves to say "cucked"

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 30, 2021

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its out now https://twitter.com/muvluvseries/status/1357530191656964096?s=20

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

Its actually a pretty common take

Ah, that's interesting - I pretty much always just see people talking about how much they like MLA.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I definitely prefer MLA, but I can also see the appeal of a smaller, tighter story that raises the stakes without going to the same insane heights of MLA

I'm really surprised at the pricing model they used for The Day After. Even with the launch discount and "MEGAVERSE" discount, all four parts are as much as the first two games combined

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yeah its a huge gently caress up on their part

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

finished Me and You and Her. it was alright.

NOW i'm going to take a week-long break from vn's and when i come back i'll read ciconia.

e: actually i lied. im reading the first higurashi console arc now. despite knowing the answer to the mystery, it seems interesting!

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 6, 2021

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wow not only did they charge too much for TDA but it's running on an older engine than the steam ports of the ML trilogy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i finished dead end junction

did this 2014 visual novel just end on a loving cliffhanger with no sequel

anyway i really uh, can't recommend this game, in general. it's super flashy visually and it's got some good music but holy gently caress the writing is dry and feels totally unwilling to commit more than a couple seconds to any potentially emotional or impactful scene. it's a really weak script for how well presented everything else is

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 11, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

wow not only did they charge too much for TDA but it's running on an older engine than the steam ports of the ML trilogy.

As a Backer of the kickstarter who they didn't even bother sending all the swag I'm owed this is the most unsurprising thing I've heard all day. I loved Muv Luv but the whole drat company is a mess

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i reading 428

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Have fun, it’s a good one.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finished 428 a couple days ago, it was fun. i enjoyed the type-moon canaan bonus scenario too, it was a different bent but i usually get something fun out of nasu's writing and in this case it was fun enough that i'll probly watch the canaan anime later even knowing it's not really much like 428

today i finished oshirabu, it was a cute vn. not like, outstanding, but its characters are fun and the art's good, and there are a few legitimately cool bits in its script. lol that the steam release cuts out the epilogue because of its r18 content though, it's insanely vanilla lesbian sex between two adults and it provides more satisfying resolution to akuru's feelings about ren than the base story provides.

now i'm starting danganronpa 2, can't wait to become best friends with this komaeda guy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i didnt like danganronpa 2 very much

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Danganronpa 2 suffers from all the interesting stuff being at the end

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the komaeda scenes aren't all at the end though?

the end twist is an interesting idea but it fell flat for me because of how extremely lame the game's writing is on average, you've got like a couple good scenes per chapter and then the core beats are interesting ideas that are executed very poorly and chapter 3 just leaves this huge stink on anything interesting the game might have set up for its characters early on with stupid forced motives and killing off someone critical to another character's arc, resulting in just, neither of them getting to have any actual writing for the rest of the game. and then it doesn't even have good writing for the cast dynamics to carry it so a lot of scenes based around characters supposedly being more interesting than they're ever depicted as fall flat and by the end of the game your party is like, hajime and four people who barely talk to each other

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 2, 2021

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I was most ly there for the nurse and the gamer girl

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
chiaki's decent but mikan really gets one of the worst moments in the game and is probably part of why i ended up disliking it as a whole. she really got shafted on any kind of interesting characterization and while it might sort of tie into the ending twist i don't think it justified the moment itself being so cheap

i think if danganronpa 2 had an off switch for its wacky comedy and was less fixated on doing things to shock you it could be a decent game, the murder mysteries are a lot more fun to solve than dr1 and there are some characters in its cast who are really fun ideas. it's just incapable of making any of the ones who stick around longest really feel likable or human and thus the only ones who really get any interesting writing are chiaki and komaeda, which kinda, just kills the game for me

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 2, 2021

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You probably want to avoid dangan ronpa 3 then. So far I've felt the twists have been really bad and the characters much less memorable.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

is anybody looking forward to Gnosia. i'm looking forward to Gnosia

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

psychoJ posted:

Pre-ordered, pre-loaded. My body is ready

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

psychoJ posted:

Very excited. Will probably not be getting enough sleep in the next week...

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Been waiting for it since it was announced. Pre-loaded it, and waiting impatiently.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Colonel posted:

i didnt like danganronpa 2 very much

Danganronpa is one of those stories that should never have gotten a sequel imo. It ended on its own terms and what ambiguity was there made the story better.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Dr Pepper posted:

Danganronpa is one of those stories that should never have gotten a sequel imo. It ended on its own terms and what ambiguity was there made the story better.

i think it getting sequels could work if the sequels were less obsessed with creating an interlocking danganronpa lore scroll. like danganronpa 2's big twist is an interesting idea but i don't really need half of the ending to be dozens of lines about how it ties into The Tragedy while we have an hour long epic showdown with giant ai junko i'm fine with just saying you're fifteen people who were driven to do hosed up things that left you irreversibly scarred and this was meant to give you an opportunity to change back into better people who can live happier lives and help others

but like at the game's core it's just very bad at making decisions that flow into a natural and engaging story rather than capitalizing on shock value, even divorced from all that, and it makes any emotional beats it does attempt fall completely limp. i mentioned it earlier but chapter 3 is really where it just throws away anything interesting it could be doing, chapter 2 sets up a couple characters to have fairly interesting arcs and then... it kills hiyoko, cutting her off from ever being able to grow out of her annoying recurring bit, and by killing her it also cuts off fuyuhiko from getting to have his arc actually continue to matter, which makes fuyuhiko feel ultimately unnecessary to a lot of the writing because nothing about it ever comes up again other than vaguely touchign on his relationship with peko, which totally mutes the impact of chapter 2's ending. and making mikan's motivation be that she remembered how ultra hosed up she was and became ultra hosed up again is like. ok. i guess this foreshadows the ending but. not in a way that makes the characters more interesting. honestly having her just instantly shift to going Sicko Mode kind of undermines the ending because it defeats the point that people who are ultra hosed up can still find some sort of light and change themselves.

chapter 4 isn't as bad about it but it still completely lacks any proper set up to what its ending is supposed to be, because despite sonia and gundham's relationship being a recurring gag you... never see them actually interact. and gundham himself is never really allowed to break out of his Gimmick so you, never really get a strong idea of who he really is, and he still spends the entire trial trying to throw you under the bus, so the whole thing of everyone at the end going like "do you think gundham... was sacrificing himself for us...?" totally falls flat. the guy was literally just trying to wiggle out of it five minutes ago. he only gave up when you definitively found out it was him.

dr2's awkward sequel issues are ultimately like, one part of why i dislike it but the bigger problem is that honestly it's just very badly written and does not properly set up any of its big motifs, and its characters are far more caught up in obnoxious bits and patterns than even dr1's cast were. it's like. just kind of a bad game. it is easy to see why chiaki and komaeda are the most fondly remembered parts of it on average since they're the ones who get actual writing lol

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I see your points and they make sense, on the other hand I've been reading the LP of Sweet Fuse elseforum and I keep thinking how vastly better written and more sense-making Danganronpa was.

I liked SDR2 about as much as I liked the first game. I strongly disliked Ultra Despair Girls. I have generally positive feelings about v3 mostly because I have decided on my own interpretation of the ending and the point of it all, and don't want to hear anyone else's. So long as there is never another DR game I am content with the conclusion.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dunno if i'd read the goofy otome game about being keiji inafune's daughter with the expectation of it surpassing danganronpa

not as "danganronpa is so good that it can't be surpassed" i just think danganronpa 1 is okay, they just kinda seem like different things.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I wasn't expecting it to surpass danganronpa, but when you mentioned SDR2 being "very badly written", it made me wonder how many more "very"s you'd need to add in order to properly compare their writing quality.

Sweet Fuse wasn't marketed as goofy to the English market afaik, but as an "American-friendly" otome game with an active protagonist. Which... so far, at least, hasn't really played out. But it quickly sets itself up to look like one of the many DR-inspired games. Characters trapped in a weird environment by a wacky nonhuman-mascot-appearing evil mastermind forcing you to play sadistic games with the threat of death for you and others constantly hanging overhead? The comparison seems obvious to me.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

sweet fuse gives the protagonist a prompt to yell "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU" at the otome boys whenever they do a dumb otome boy thing so it owns imo

anyway the setup is superficially similar to danganronpa but the substance of the games are completely different, because sweet fuse is an otome game about dating hot older men (with some mystery and suspense elements) and danganronpa is an actual murder mystery death game

even with that in mind, sweet fuse wins because it has likable characters who all have a place in the story, and have actual arcs that aren't randomly cut off by them dying, and also danganronpa is many things (that i mostly enjoy) but 'sense making' is not one of them

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Characters arcs getting cut off by their death isn't what I'd call a flaw in Dangenronpa.

It's not the first story to do it and it's only a flaw if it doesn't serve a greater narrative purpose.

For DR it helps keep up the tension of who might die next. If a character couldn't die until their narrative was all neatly wrapped up it would become predictable what would happen to them. "Oh hey this guy got over his issues guess he's the next victim"

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i mean thats a solid concept but i dont think dr2 does that well at all, the endgame surviving cast is a handful of flat characters who've barely had any plot focus with the exception of fuyuhiko, but even his arc was super sabotaged by saionji dying where she did, and i guess akane technically had some development???

Dr Pepper posted:

For DR it helps keep up the tension of who might die next. If a character couldn't die until their narrative was all neatly wrapped up it would become predictable what would happen to them. "Oh hey this guy got over his issues guess he's the next victim"

yeah, but in a game like DR not everyone even has an arc. sure, it's surprising when a flat comedy character makes it out alive, and it's surprising when a character who could have had an interesting arc is tossed aside like garbage, but i don't think the games execute those concepts well at all. it's novel on a first playthrough but it weakens the actual quality of the writing

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The problem with DR2 especially is the exact opposite problem. "Oh this character is becoming interesting, they are obviously going to die next". There was no stakes or tension because that in of itself became super predictable and boring.

They could solve this by just making everyone compelling in some way but both of the first two games, and especially DR2, drop the ball so hard on doing just about anything of note with its cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Dr Pepper posted:

Characters arcs getting cut off by their death isn't what I'd call a flaw in Dangenronpa.

It's not the first story to do it and it's only a flaw if it doesn't serve a greater narrative purpose.

there's a difference between killing off impostor byakuya in case 1, or nekomaru in case 4 because they're the character who has the most immediately going on and potential for growth but aren't so immediately important that doing it absolutely 100% cuts off potential for writing that would be fun to experience, and killing saionji in case 3 (and also never giving fuyuhiko any meaningful writing after doing so) literally because she just happened to be in the wrong room when someone arbitrarily went sicko mode for story reasons that on their own actively weaken any of the meaning the story is trying to give itself

like i don't care if the writing wants to kill off interesting characters but the problem isn't that dr2 does that. it's that it kills off characters before they actually do have a chance to be interesting and it has two separate instances of murders that literally come down to "the sicko mode switch was flipped!!!" completely irregardless of any potentially meaningful character motivation that might tell you more about the people involved on a personal level. even at dr1's weakest that's, not something it did.