Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Dawgstar posted:

No, the last issue was the last issue as far as I know. Kamala just had her actress cast so I wouldn't be surprised if she has a new ongoing soon but right now there's nothing.

Sorry, what I meant was that the end of the book was the writer's choice, not Marvel's. Nothing Ahmed has said makes me think it was Marvel's decision to end the book but that's all inference on my part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Duggan is extremely good, it'll take some seriously interesting ideas to top his Deadpool run. I know it was collaborative with Brian Posehn but Brian left somewhat early and I kinda assumed Gerry was doing the heavy lifting.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I like Saladin Ahmed but he has not felt totally invested in either Ms. Marvel or Miles Morales for awhile. I just don't think he writes teens very well-- it's hard to write young, I think, but people who do it well (BKV, Rainbow Rowell, G. Willow Wilson, Vita Ayala) do it as well as they do because they make their young characters really rich with specificity and they balance well the eagerness and anxiety of youth. Ahmed's two teen books felt really generic all the way through and felt like they were hitting the rote "teen notes" without branching out into interesting granular details. Like-- Wilson's Jersey City felt like such a weird, tangible place, and the relationship of Kamala and her friends with it felt super dense and crunchy because world and character were so tightly integrated. That's been pretty much lost for awhile.

Ahmed-- and even, I hate to say it, Eve Ewing on Champions-- feel like they're writing archetypes, like they're just looking at their characters through the wrong end of a telescope.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Duggan is extremely good, it'll take some seriously interesting ideas to top his Deadpool run. I know it was collaborative with Brian Posehn but Brian left somewhat early and I kinda assumed Gerry was doing the heavy lifting.

yeah it feels like Posehn was there to pitch the like "Deadpool fights zombie presidents" parts and Duggan did the "this is a sad man with a sad life who is kinda funny in spite of it" parts

radlum
May 13, 2013
I enjoyed Ahmed's work on Miles Morales more than on Ms. Marvel; I think G. Willow Wilson had a better grasp at Kamala and her supporting cast and Jersey as a whole and Ahmed's run doesn't; while I think that Bendis's run on Miles (post SW) was just "fine", so Ahmed could improve somewhat on that lukewarm take.

I still want to read him on Miles Morales and I've enjoyed his solo miniseries (Quicksilver, Black Bolt), so I hope he sticks around for more of those; also, I wouldn't mind seeing him tackle an X-book.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I've liked Ahmed's run on Miles Morales, but there's definitely a sense that he has a specific notion of Miles that doesn't fully mesh with Bendis' initial depcition. It definitely feels like he'd rather not have to deal with having Ganke or Bombshell as part of the series and kind of keeps their appearances to a minimum.

On the other hand, the mini-arc where the vice-principal pretends that he doesn't know Miles is Spider-Man after spending the entire series trying to get him expelled is extremely my poo poo and I choked up.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I wonder if the Ganke thing is an editorial mandate to avoid more complaints about how MCU Peter Parker stole Ganke from Miles and named him Ned, which I guess is also why Ganke looks so different and has no speaking role on Into the Spider-Verse (haven't played the PS4 game, so I don't know how much of him is featured there).

The Vice-Principal thing works for me too. Despite some issues, I think between Bendis and Ahmed, Miles has a very strong supporting cast.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Ms. Marvel thing feels like there was going to be a new book after Ahmed left but then the big covid delays/reshuffling/cancelations happened

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Blockhouse posted:

The Ms. Marvel thing feels like there was going to be a new book after Ahmed left but then the big covid delays/reshuffling/cancelations happened

or they just delayed it to push it closer to the Disney+ series

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

radlum posted:

I wonder if the Ganke thing is an editorial mandate to avoid more complaints about how MCU Peter Parker stole Ganke from Miles and named him Ned, which I guess is also why Ganke looks so different and has no speaking role on Into the Spider-Verse (haven't played the PS4 game, so I don't know how much of him is featured there).

The Vice-Principal thing works for me too. Despite some issues, I think between Bendis and Ahmed, Miles has a very strong supporting cast.

Ganke is all over the Miles Morales game

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Ganke's lack of lines in Spider-Verse is just due to his scenes getting cut for time if I'm remembering right

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Ganke's lack of lines in Spider-Verse is just due to his scenes getting cut for time if I'm remembering right

Yeah in the extended animatic version he's got a whole subplot.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

T'Challa kicking Logan in the dick made this whole Phoenix storyline in Avengers worth it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Haven't Marvel done a "Heroes Reborn" series in the past?

Also, has Power Princess always been that close to Wonder Woman?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
1. Yes it's a reference to that event though not quite the same idea (world where all the classic marvel heroes have been rebooted versus world where the Avengers never came together and the Squadron Supreme is Earth's mightiest heroes)

2. It varies but given that they're hewing pretty hard to the DC references in this story it makes sense

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I really enjoyed Runaways this week, particularly with Pixie and Wolverine being such good guest stars. That ending has me all :stare: too. Is Nico gonna do another panic kiss, and is Pixie into her??? I'm kinda here for it, and I like NicoLina a lot!

Power Pack is still excellent, doing great work with Mass Master this issue to show that there is much more behind his front, which North had lots of fun with.

Re: America Chavez: moratorium on first arcs featuring "my powers are on the fritz?!" when?? America also needs to treat her GFs better! She's rude! :mad:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

bessantj posted:

Haven't Marvel done a "Heroes Reborn" series in the past?

Woah. Till I scrolled down further and saw the black corset, I honestly thought it was a pic of Diana.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

1. Yes it's a reference to that event though not quite the same idea (world where all the classic marvel heroes have been rebooted versus world where the Avengers never came together and the Squadron Supreme is Earth's mightiest heroes)

2. It varies but given that they're hewing pretty hard to the DC references in this story it makes sense

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I'm not really keeping up with current comics, too busy going through stuff on Marvel Unlimited (Nearly up to 1980!).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

She hasn't always looked that close but yeah, the whole Squadron Supreme was by Mark Gruenwald's design a JLA analogue.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

She hasn't always looked that close but yeah, the whole Squadron Supreme was by Mark Gruenwald's design a JLA analogue.

Gruenwald expanded the roster to include analogues of practically every Satellite Era Justice Leaguer in the 1980s miniseries, but Roy Thomas created the original team and their JLA-knock-off status while he was writing Avengers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Metalshark posted:

I really enjoyed Runaways this week, particularly with Pixie and Wolverine being such good guest stars. That ending has me all :stare: too. Is Nico gonna do another panic kiss, and is Pixie into her??? I'm kinda here for it, and I like NicoLina a lot!

Power Pack is still excellent, doing great work with Mass Master this issue to show that there is much more behind his front, which North had lots of fun with.

Re: America Chavez: moratorium on first arcs featuring "my powers are on the fritz?!" when?? America also needs to treat her GFs better! She's rude! :mad:

power pack deeply reminded me why i don't watch youtubers

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Splint Chesthair posted:

Gruenwald expanded the roster to include analogues of practically every Satellite Era Justice Leaguer in the 1980s miniseries, but Roy Thomas created the original team and their JLA-knock-off status while he was writing Avengers.

Wow, I'd forgotten they show up in Avengers way back when. Good catch. Gruenwald's series still loom pretty large, I guess. It felt like a 'what if superheroes take over the world' before that was done to death.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

site posted:

power pack deeply reminded me why i don't watch youtubers

It is only a matter of time until a writer decides to confirm Vtubers also exist in the Marvel Universe. Immortal Hulk ends with the various alters getting hooked on different Vtuber's livestreams, creating a new system.

(Actually, Tony Stark would be most likely to fall in the Vtuber hole, right?)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metalshark posted:

It is only a matter of time until a writer decides to confirm Vtubers also exist in the Marvel Universe. Immortal Hulk ends with the various alters getting hooked on different Vtuber's livestreams, creating a new system.

I feel like Tony would be more fascinated by the software used for the avatars

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like Tony would be more fascinated by the software used for the avatars

I mean he’s visualized AI forever before so if anything it’s probably his old software being used to run the vtubers. Wonder if Jocasta would be pro or con vtuber

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Metalshark posted:

I'd read a comic about a Vtuber superhero. A regular person gets the power to transform into their streaming avatar character, and becomes more powerful the more viewers they have!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gripweed posted:

I'd read a comic about a Vtuber superhero. A regular person gets the power to transform into their streaming avatar character, and becomes more powerful the more viewers they have!

Freakazoid?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Freakazoid broke the fourth wall all the time and was aware of the television audience, but he wasn't being watched in-universe. A Vtuber is always consciously performing a character for an in-universe audience. Freakazoid was aware that he was part of a fictional narrative, while the Vtuber hero would believe themself to be a real person in a real world

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i swear i've read a book where someone's power involved turning into an anime girl. astro city maybe?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

site posted:

i swear i've read a book where someone's power involved turning into an anime girl. astro city maybe?

Sex Criminals, sort of.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

site posted:

Yeah. American Chibi

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I knew they were JLA analogues (Though I completely forgot that the Wizzer was supposed to be Wanda and Peitro's father until I read some Avengers issues recently), they don't seem to be trying hide that fact really, I just don't remember Power Princess looking quite so much like Wonder Woman.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

This kind of came up in a bit of the most recent Dial H For Hero.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bessantj posted:

Yeah, I knew they were JLA analogues (Though I completely forgot that the Wizzer was supposed to be Wanda and Peitro's father until I read some Avengers issues recently), they don't seem to be trying hide that fact really, I just don't remember Power Princess looking quite so much like Wonder Woman.

It depends on which "Power Princess" it is to be exact. At one point it was the version from Secret Wars masquerading as the one we were originally familiar with during the time right after Secret Wars. That version went by Warrior Woman originally and was much more physically similar to Wonder Woman. And I'm not sure what version is currently represented in Coulson's team.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Splint Chesthair posted:

And then it got even more complicated when the JLA writer Mike Friedrich introduced the Champions of Angor shortly thereafter. They were Silver Sorceress (scarlet witch), Blue Jay (Yellowjacket), Jack B Quick (Quicksilver), and Wandjina (Thor). They had about 0% of the lasting power Squadron Supreme had tho.

Seriously, if anyone hasn’t read the Mark Gruenwald Squadron Supreme 12 issues series from the mid 80s, it’s all up on Unlimited. Great series and way ahead of its time.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

X-O posted:

It depends on which "Power Princess" it is to be exact. At one point it was the version from Secret Wars masquerading as the one we were originally familiar with during the time right after Secret Wars. That version went by Warrior Woman originally and was much more physically similar to Wonder Woman. And I'm not sure what version is currently represented in Coulson's team.

I see I have something to look out for as I get into the mid 80s comics on MU.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bessantj posted:

I see I have something to look out for as I get into the mid 80s comics on MU.

No, that's the recent Secret Wars.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The latest 5 issue Juggernaut mini had a video blogger as a costar. She had the power to slow things down, so she was also a support character for Juggernaut. The end of the series ended with a few other people in a team-up pose, and THE END. Who knows if that was meant to spin into another series or be longer than 5 issues, but it seemed they were trying to set something up there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

No, that's the recent Secret Wars.

The 3rd best one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

The 3rd best one.

What are you ranking ahead of it? because the first two certainly can't include the actual first two secret wars. And the Bendis mini was mostly about how awesome "preventative warfare" is.