Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

KirbyKhan posted:

Hello thread. I have a baby now. It is day 5 and it is a glorious day. We went to the pediatrician for first appointment and we found out our son was starving and lost 14 oz. I am happy because as soon as we made the formula my little dude gulped down 4 oz, crushed the bottle against his skull, and pulled his arm out of his onsey to Popeyes flex. Then, finally, he went to sleep.

My wife is destroyed though. Absolutely crushed. Her boobs went up to H and it is a sick irony that they have no milk. My first instinct was to look her in the eye and tell her "This is not your fault". It isn't, she did all the correct things and abstained from all the incorrect additives and chemicals. Her labor was induced, her body doesn't know to make milk until next week.

I hope that she doesn't internalize it. I told her for the next lil bit I want her to continue being the sole feeder. I've prepared a few bottles for tonight, and it really helps me feel useful. I've vowed for the last two nights to stay on baby watch until 6am. I failed after being exhausted and shoo'd away by mom in law.

But that's because the baby was violently screaming at my face. Thank goodness I now know it was hunger that made that face, at the end of day 4 I thought that terrible existence was going to be the rest of my life. I mean it is, but tonight is too and on average it feels p cool. 😎

My wife also was a good week or two until kiddo got all the milk he needed from her.

Also, she too was induced and had painkillers, and benadryl for the itchiness symptoms from the painkillers. Benadryl negatively affects milk production, we learned a bit later. Did that happen to her too? It's apparently a fairly normal goof that happens in L&D wards, according to a Gyn friend of ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

truavatar posted:

:words:
horrible sleep regression
:words:

Well, whatever was going on seems to be over after almost 3 weeks of hell. She's finally sleeping until around 6:45 again and her naps have recovered to being around 1:10... even had a couple record-setting 1:45 naps. I've slept better the last two nights than I have in a month.

She just had to watch me break I guess.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

This silly kid is learning so much.

Literally overnight he learned like 3 things. He fed himself a whole bottle without us helping at all, he turned all the pages on his own during his bedtime story and he brushed his own (2) teeth.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Today is going to be fun for us. Our 6 year old has been having stomach pains for the better part of the last year. We can't tell what's real and what's not (a lot of times it's been around things that have made her anxious). We did the big tests a while back to make sure it's nothing serious (it wasn't). It went away for a while but started happening again. We went to a GI doc and turns out she has quite a lot of poop in her even though she poops once a day at least. I guess it's not enough.

Sooooo the answer? Today she is to drink SIX caps worth of miralax and take an ex-lax and do a complete clear out.

I don't think our pipes are ready for this.

Oh man, I've been through that. My son had a rough time with a blockage at close to that age, and it was basically the "If this doesn't work, the next options are on the level of 'surgery'" treatment. The best advice I can give is you're not going anywhere for that day, and stick close to the bathrooms. And that, especially at that age, making it to the toilet every time is absolutely not guaranteed (it's not even fully guaranteed for adults, if you're getting your insides Draino-ed).

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
My 6 year old just finished an almost 3 week stint of viral diarrhea, so my advice is to soak the accidental shart or didnt make it in time undies in the oxiclean maxforce stain remover and wash twice. So much crying about poop stains in Elsa chonies.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Apparently baby software update that came with "self feeding" and "page turning" also came with "wake up at 4am and scream multiple days in a row" and "refuse_all_naps.exe"

We're so tired.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Sending vibes. We just went though that and came out the other side after three lovely weeks. From what I read it doesn’t usually last that long though. Hang in there.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hadlock posted:

Besides less personal time, what are the downsides to letting our 4 month old stay up until 10pm? She usually starts getting fidgity around 8:30-9 and by 10 she's ready for milk and will sleep straight through until 5am to feed, and then down again until 8am or so

Sleeping through the night is really really nice, but I'm guessing there's some sort of phantom bad reason why we shouldn't do this, and instead put her to bed closer to 7pm? But then we're dealing with 2+ midnight feedings and a hosed sleep schedule

Others already said, but I'll second "do whatever you think works". I promise you're not going to end up with a one-year-old who goes to bed at 10 PM just because you do that at 4 months.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

L0cke17 posted:

Apparently baby software update that came with "self feeding" and "page turning" also came with "wake up at 4am and scream multiple days in a row" and "refuse_all_naps.exe"

We're so tired.

You will get a break soon. Whenever my infant had a big leap in development, her sleep was completely messed up for a while. Then things would settle in for a bit, we would get a little more rest, only to get messed up again with the next set of skills.

Also, routine at 4 months looks completely different than routine at even 8 or 10 months, and there’s no comparison to what a toddler routine is. The first year is about survival and doing what works for you. Expecting your baby to do things at certain times of the day will only lead to frustration. It takes a long time for a baby to even get a sense of what a routine is, or recognize that things happen in an order (dinner, then bath, then books, then bed for example).

Of course it never hurts to start routine early in life, but you have to be super flexible and not let it get to you when your idea of routine gets disrupted, especially when it comes to the time of a clock. Babies don’t even know night and day, let alone that 10pm might be considered a later bedtime.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

you're not going to end up with a one-year-old who goes to bed at 10 PM just because you do that at 4 months.

Yes, you can end up in that scenario even if your kid sleeps like a dream at 4 months! On a good day, he sleeps at 8.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Koivunen posted:

You will get a break soon. Whenever my infant had a big leap in development, her sleep was completely messed up for a while. Then things would settle in for a bit, we would get a little more rest, only to get messed up again with the next set of skills.

Also, routine at 4 months looks completely different than routine at even 8 or 10 months, and there’s no comparison to what a toddler routine is. The first year is about survival and doing what works for you. Expecting your baby to do things at certain times of the day will only lead to frustration. It takes a long time for a baby to even get a sense of what a routine is, or recognize that things happen in an order (dinner, then bath, then books, then bed for example).

Of course it never hurts to start routine early in life, but you have to be super flexible and not let it get to you when your idea of routine gets disrupted, especially when it comes to the time of a clock. Babies don’t even know night and day, let alone that 10pm might be considered a later bedtime.

It's just so frustrating that for basically the last 4 months he's been on a routine to the minute practically and now he just isn't any more.

I just want to sleep. My work performance is suffering, my everything performance is suffering. I have 0 energy even for things I want to do.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
If you want to play a fun (read: depressing) game, enter "sleep regression at" in google and see what all it suggests.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ben Nevis posted:

If you want to play a fun (read: depressing) game, enter "sleep regression at" in google and see what all it suggests.

What about “MY TODDLER WONT SLEEP EVER” or “WE HAVENT SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT IN YEARS”

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

life is killing me posted:

What about “MY TODDLER WONT SLEEP EVER” or “WE HAVENT SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT IN YEARS”

Yeah we're almost at 2 years with no sleeping through the night.

At this point he sleeps in our bed and he wakes very often through the night. Often just screaming. Not like "I had a bad dream" scream but more of a "hey you two fucks... YOU AWAKE?!"

And then he just kicks or punches us. Then flops over onto the boob.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Fuckin 2 month vaccination shots man. I was on speakerphone and you could hear the doctor baby talk to my baby, then pause and then the awful screams. And I had to take both bandaids off, which was more screaming. Poor girl has been wiped out all day.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
as a tip for people that we definitely didn't do the first time we had baby shots, get no-stick or some other kind of easy take off bandaid and bring them with you. The medical person should have no problem with you slapping those on instead and it's wayyyy easier getting them off.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Benagain posted:

as a tip for people that we definitely didn't do the first time we had baby shots, get no-stick or some other kind of easy take off bandaid and bring them with you. The medical person should have no problem with you slapping those on instead and it's wayyyy easier getting them off.

https://www.saveritemedical.com/products/uni-solve-adhesive-remover-wipes

These are handy too. We’re constantly taping medical devices to people here so we have a full box of them but if you have little kids with bandaids then it might be a smart buy.

Our kid took 4 shots at the 2 month mark and cried surprisingly little, just passed out. Then I used that stuff to soften up all the bandaids and he didn’t mind that either.

He did cry outrageously at me for feeding him formula instead of breast milk (ear drum vibrating) and then had two diaper blowouts to balance things out karmically.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The crying at shots only gets worse as they get older and stronger

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Oh poo poo I’m taking my baby in for shots next week :(

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

meanolmrcloud posted:

Fuckin 2 month vaccination shots man. I was on speakerphone and you could hear the doctor baby talk to my baby, then pause and then the awful screams. And I had to take both bandaids off, which was more screaming. Poor girl has been wiped out all day.

For my girl’s 2 month shots I had never seen her face get so red so fast. :( I was going to wait until her bath to take the bandaids off, but she got poop on it during a diaper change so it had to come off quickly and that was extremely unpleasant too.

Her 4 month shots were a little better, though the rotavirus vaccine did make her throw up all over me. For some reason, the nurse didn’t give her any bandaids on her 3 shots. She just had me dab the blood with a cotton ball.

I’m just glad she didn’t have any side effects and was just sleepy for the rest of the day.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Shifty Pony posted:

5:45 pm at dinner: "oh wow what an appetite, he is so excited to be eating all of his eggs!"

8:50 pm after he woke up very unexpectedly: "oh god there is egg vomit everywhere, I'll get the bath going if you swap the sheets!"

I guess a 9 month old doesn't know when to stop when they really like the taste of something? :iiam:

Is this his first time eating eggs? The timing (3 hr between eating and vomiting) is giving me PTSD when our guy had eggs. Turns out he has FPIES, basically a gastro allergic reaction to eggs that makes him vomit a lot almost exactly 3 hrs after he eats them! We are going to try again once he is closer to 2 y/o, as kids almost always grow out of it...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Crazyweasel posted:

Is this his first time eating eggs? The timing (3 hr between eating and vomiting) is giving me PTSD when our guy had eggs. Turns out he has FPIES, basically a gastro allergic reaction to eggs that makes him vomit a lot almost exactly 3 hrs after he eats them! We are going to try again once he is closer to 2 y/o, as kids almost always grow out of it...

No he's had them multiple times with no issues. He's just started being really loving excited about food and I think his digestive system hadn't caught up with how much he wants to eat.

The day before for lunch he absolutely destroyed some beans and rice only to have some obvious discomfort two hours later when the reality of eating so many beans caught up to him. It seems to be getting better now, we are pacing him and putting our finger foods to make him work for it.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

That kinda happened with our guy, he loved tangerines so much he’d mow down five or six of them as fast as he could. Next day his poops were laced with pulp and he’d be super rashy from the citric acid. We have to ration his citrus now.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Big Taint posted:

That kinda happened with our guy, he loved tangerines so much he’d mow down five or six of them as fast as he could. Next day his poops were laced with pulp and he’d be super rashy from the citric acid. We have to ration his citrus now.

We also have a tangerine loving baby, and ugh, the pulp pieces get absolutely everywhere during diaper changes.

What are some good toy recommendations for 10-month-olds? Everything I look at seems to be for 6-months or 12-months or made of PVC or something else you shouldn't let teething babies inevitably gnaw on.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

nachos posted:

The crying at shots only gets worse as they get older and stronger

My son just stares at the doctor during shots. Completely unfazed by them so far.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

L0cke17 posted:

My son just stares at the doctor during shots. Completely unfazed by them so far.

Yeah my kids all like to watch it even the 2 yo, just fascinated by it. I only had to hold them tight the first time then they are like "eh this is nbd" and we go to the same location every time so they're very familiar with the process and get a gummy bear when they are done.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Squats posted:

We also have a tangerine loving baby, and ugh, the pulp pieces get absolutely everywhere during diaper changes.

What are some good toy recommendations for 10-month-olds? Everything I look at seems to be for 6-months or 12-months or made of PVC or something else you shouldn't let teething babies inevitably gnaw on.

I might be missing something but what kind of toy is appropriate at 12 months old but not 10 months? If you see something you like, I say get it.

At that age though, my kid was really into disposable coffee cups so maybe I’m not the best one to be giving advice. Maybe something tactile and fun, like a cloth book?

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I think around 10 months my son loved tissue boxes. Empty (drop a ball or scarf inside) and full.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
At around 12 months our daughter got really into containers and stacking toys. She thought they were cool at 10 months but around 1 year is when her motor skills started getting good enough to successfully put things in boxes, stack cups on each other, and clap profusely after doing so.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Yeah we're almost at 2 years with no sleeping through the night.

At this point he sleeps in our bed and he wakes very often through the night. Often just screaming. Not like "I had a bad dream" scream but more of a "hey you two fucks... YOU AWAKE?!"

And then he just kicks or punches us. Then flops over onto the boob.

I wish I could say I can only imagine

But unfortunately I can do more than imagine some of that

In other news for the first time in two and a half weeks ours didn’t get out of bed! Unfortunately he still woke up three times screaming for no reason. But he didn’t get out of bed! Progress!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My son’s favorite toy is crinkly wrappers for food. He will literally butt-scoot across the room and climb on you and steal them right out of your hands.

He’s also learned where his toy boxes are and his new thing is crawling to them, pulling them over on their side and rooting around til he finds the 1 toy he wants then taking it back to the big blue puzzle mat on the floor to rub it on the interesting texture there.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
10 months for my kid was all about putting objects into containers and pulling them out. Actually an empty wine bottle box from Costco ended up being his favorite toy as he could stuff all the rest of his toys in it and push it around. Since he was cruising a lot and pushing our dining room chairs all over the house we also got him a push cart but it was a tough one to turn and so he’d get super frustrated when he ran into an obstacle and it was kind of a bust.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
My kid (13) is now fully self-aware. This morning, rather than eat something small before starting homeschool lessons he he started in the usual spiel of 'I give up! I'm just going back to sleep.' I checked in with him a minute later to let him know that I was going to go get a shower and get started with work and he replied 'I didn't mean I was really going back to bed; I was just going to sulk in here for a few minutes.' School proceeded per the usual plan with minimal interruption.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I'm proud of my 2-year-old for developing an embryonic sense of humor. When we're playing a matching game or putting together a puzzle, she'll put things out of place and go "naaahhhhhh" with a huge smile. I feel like messing with expectations is fundamental ur-humor so I'm looking forward to seeing her evolve into the pinnacle (forums posting) from first principles.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

Engineer Lenk posted:

My kid (13) is now fully self-aware. This morning, rather than eat something small before starting homeschool lessons he he started in the usual spiel of 'I give up! I'm just going back to sleep.' I checked in with him a minute later to let him know that I was going to go get a shower and get started with work and he replied 'I didn't mean I was really going back to bed; I was just going to sulk in here for a few minutes.' School proceeded per the usual plan with minimal interruption.

Sounds a lot like my 13-year-old

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
All you folks with recent babbies, do consider data tracking. Yes, pain In the rear end recording stuff, but I used a data app to track my youngest (6 now), from newborn to 2.5 years and it was awesome to have all the data. New Foods, diapers, bottles, fevers, it’s pretty cool to tell the doctor, we ate new food on X day, fever started on X day, she usually takes naps from a-b. Watching the nap envelope shrink (and disappear!) when she was 2 was pretty neat. We never really wondered about anything she was doing, we had a record and could gauge against it.

I’ll be a grandfather in next week or two! Dang.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Yup. I’ve got Huckleberry and it’s really useful.

I took my baby out to the mall to check out a closing sale and it looks like she’s aftraid of the elevators at the train stations. 3 times in a row she whimpered and cried as soon as we stepped into them. They’re completely lined with metal sheets on the inside, so they’re a scary metal box. :(

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I had big plans to track everything about my kid's data as soon as she was born but the first few weeks made me realized I was too fatigued to add another task to my list of responsibilities. I picked it back up when we started sleep training though and I'm glad we did. Now it's really interesting to see the trends in Huckleberry playing out over weeks and months. I use the "pumping" tracker to indicate when we put her down in the crib so we can visualize the gap between that and when we notice her fall asleep on the monitor.

Relevant:

https://twitter.com/AnnaSchapiro/status/1367196566549901322?s=20

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We kept feeding/diaper changing logs for the first six weeks, and as new parents that was really helpful to know what the hell was going on, how much we were feeding her, if we were feeding her enough, rate of intake was increasing etc

The paper log we had went to 90 days but we completely stopped by 8 weeks (56 days)

I think for kid #2 we might only do it for 4 weeks

About twice a week we sync on formula intake and make sure she's been drinking about 2-3oz/lb bodyweight

If you have any complications/risk of complications, the extra data is probably extremely useful when talking with your doctor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Babies make no drat sense. Mine is easily overtired. Like, too tired so he can’t sleep! I know it’s a stress response now, but at first I was like wtf just go to sleep.