Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Can't help but notice I don't have my fuckin money yet

Wait, what?

Are there any other reports of this problem in the country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Majorian posted:

Wait, what?

Are we still on the cusp of millions of people becoming homeless every month that rent is due?

Ah well I’m sure 5-10 million newly homeless people in the next 6 months won’t have much of an impact on anything.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

mcmagic posted:

People just wanted to get rid of Trump and didn't care what Biden was actually going to do. I think seeing a corporate dem like Biden fail is more likely to radicalize D voters than another republican. (Though Obama's failures didn't radicalize most D's either)

all those radicalized D voters will now be able to vote for ________ in 2024

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Shipon posted:

That's a fair point about Occupy, the messaging behind it started real strong and focused and I would agree that it boiled everything down to a very simple question of class and who owns the means of production. Which then resulted in academics and "activists" coming in to muddy the waters with other focuses.

BLM and MeToo are not left wing movements. That's not to say that they're negative ideas, both racial and gender justice are vital to any left project, but BLM and MeToo were at their core just an attempt to correct a rather narrow injustice within the context of the present system. BLM saying that police violence is a grave injustice (correct) quite easily got turned into "we need to make sure that only 13% of police killings are Black people" and MeToo was from its very start only a thing people latched onto because powerful rich women were being abused in the workplace.

I'll concede the MeToo thing, because while its roots are humbler you're right that it didn't really get oxygen until celebrities started sharing their stories (and of course it was smothered the moment it became too inconvenient for the politically powerful).

But regarding BLM, two points:

1) I've never seen anyone directly involved in BLM make anything approaching the bolded argument.

2) I would argue that it is a left-wing movement, whether or not the leaders/founders of BLM realize it, because you cannot extricate matters of racial justice from matters of class in the United States. Defund the Police became the movement's mantra, and that's impossible without also dismantling a lot of the Capitalist apparatus - if not all of it. Some - even many - within the movement clearly understood this, from what I've seen both on social media and in fleshspace. Not all, true, but unless they just give up on their goals they'll have to come to terms with this reality sooner or later.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

The Oldest Man posted:

Here's another person who works for the same agency. I think I've got a Dark Souls Curse-style status effect on from looking at this, my life is halved

https://twitter.com/PAniskoff/status/993204349634596864?s=20

"action is a hallmark of obamaism"

yes, the obama administration, famously known for "doing things"

:suicide:

reality is warping

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

mcmagic posted:

If they get everyone vaccinated by may and the economy comes back strong, they might just win on that no matter how much they gently caress people on the 15 dollar wage and the checks.

What do you mean by "the economy comes back"? A lot of the jobs that were lost to COVID aren't coming back, they were all lovely service industry jobs that existed to profit from low wages and many of them were on borrowed time in the first place. No one's going to front the capital to reopen movie theater chains when streaming services had already been eating their lunch for years, and airlines already only exist by virtue of government largesse.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'd bet money that Trump inspired more young people to run for political office than Obama did

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Majorian posted:

Wait, what?

Maybe from RUSSIA!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chillgamesh posted:

What do you mean by "the economy comes back"? A lot of the jobs that were lost to COVID aren't coming back, they were all lovely service industry jobs that existed to profit from low wages and many of them were on borrowed time in the first place. No one's going to front the capital to reopen movie theater chains when streaming services had already been eating their lunch for years, and airlines already only exist by virtue of government largesse.

You don't think people are going to run out to the movies and to travel and poo poo like that in droves the second they feel safe doing so?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

mcmagic posted:

You don't think people are going to run out to the movies and to travel and poo poo like that in droves the second they feel safe doing so?

Yeah I hate to agree with you here, but... Ft Lauderdale says hello. spring break is in full swing here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lib and let die posted:

Yeah I hate to agree with you here, but... Ft Lauderdale says hello. spring break is in full swing here.

And that is just chuds who think COVID isn't' real. Half the people are still probably being careful and not going out.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

mcmagic posted:

And that is just chuds who think COVID isn't' real. Half the people are still probably being careful and not going out.

It's definitely not all chuds. There are a bunch of college aged idiots here right now.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Liberals are becoming that stupid meme where Trump and hitler were in photos next to each other drinking water.

Someone actually made the argument that nazis were all about outdoors stuff so someone being into outdoors stuff is a reason to suspect them of being a fascist.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

mcmagic posted:

Of course they will, but what I'm saying is that a lot of what was lost won't come back because it isn't profitable to do so. Movie theaters are extremely expensive to run and basically profit entirely from nickle-and-diming customers and employees; Why pay hundreds of millions of dollars to reestablish a chain of theaters when that industry was already getting killed by online streaming? There will be a short-term boom of people wanting to go see films on the big screen, but they're just gonna go back to the couch like they were before. I'm not arguing that things like gyms and restaurants won't return, but COVID accelerated the inevitable for some industries.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

spacetoaster posted:

Liberals are becoming that stupid meme where Trump and hitler were in photos next to each other drinking water.

Someone actually made the argument that nazis were all about outdoors stuff so someone being into outdoors stuff is a reason to suspect them of being a fascist.

i heard that nazis liked eating food and having sex :ohdear:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I live in the middle of Seattle and the restaurants and gyms are filled with people, many of whom aren't wearing masks. Magical COVID thinking is as bipartisan as bombing the poo poo out of Syria.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

I live in the middle of Seattle and the restaurants and gyms are filled with people, many of whom aren't wearing masks. Magical COVID thinking is as bipartisan as bombing the poo poo out of Syria.

Yup. Biden won, we built back better, there's a vaccine out there, open r up

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

Yup. Biden won, we built back better, there's a vaccine out there, open r up

On Sunday while I was walking my dog I saw a Range Rover and and G-wagon roll up to the local brunch dispensery, a combined total of around 10 white girls piled out (no masks) and then the proceeded to go inside (no masks) to order from the masked up wait staff and then proceed to start taking group hug selfies. They were still there hanging out inside without masks on when I came back the other direction, about 45 minutes later.

I've seen one or both of those vehicles at that place every single weekend since January.

But I'm sure they were all from a single household of vaccinated ER nurses so it's fine and only red state chuds are behaving like death cultists. Open'er'up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/1367586468751765521
https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/1367585536928481293

LOL Governor for life.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

hey dems, where's the scary militia??

get back to work and send the loving checks

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Chillgamesh posted:

Of course they will, but what I'm saying is that a lot of what was lost won't come back because it isn't profitable to do so. Movie theaters are extremely expensive to run and basically profit entirely from nickle-and-diming customers and employees; Why pay hundreds of millions of dollars to reestablish a chain of theaters when that industry was already getting killed by online streaming? There will be a short-term boom of people wanting to go see films on the big screen, but they're just gonna go back to the couch like they were before. I'm not arguing that things like gyms and restaurants won't return, but COVID accelerated the inevitable for some industries.

This is probably a fair take. Some industries will come back (even though I think stuff like travel will be a lot slower than airlines and hotels would like) but I think COVID was a death blow for others with movie theaters being the most obvious example.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/cj04115073/status/1367584261532839941
look upon this and despair celebrate the strengthening of the Democratic Party through Bernie's contribution of unity to it by courageously defending the compassionate alteration of the stimulus check to make it more targeted

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 22:30 on Mar 4, 2021

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

MeToo dead again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Thoguh posted:

This is probably a fair take. Some industries will come back (even though I think stuff like travel will be a lot slower than airlines and hotels would like) but I think COVID was a death blow for others with movie theaters being the most obvious example.

I'm gonna need to see the death of that industry before i believe it. I think people are going to stampede back the second they feel safe. Is AMC or Regal going out of business?

mcmagic has issued a correction as of 22:34 on Mar 4, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Clinton figured out the cheat code: No regrets, no resignation.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Grey Fox posted:

I'd bet money that Trump inspired more young people to run for political office than Obama did

“hey if that fat idiot can do it so can I!”

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I'm gonna need to see the death of that industry before i believe it. I think people are going to stampede back the second they feel safe. Is AMC or Regal going out of business?

People going out to restaurants isn't going to boost the economy much when there's empty retail properties all over the place.

*I said retail but meant commercial.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

mcmagic posted:

I think the WSB mania threw a life line to AMC they announced

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Going to be pretty funny when the eviction moratoriums get lifted for real and everyone's consumer spending budget gets hoovered up the by the rentier class to sit in safe investments, crippling the economy all over again.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Consumer spending is for chumps, haven't you learned that? It only matters for poors

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Grey Fox posted:

they ran for the office, and nancy wasn't there

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

Consumer spending is for chumps, haven't you learned that? It only matters for poors

passive income is love, passive income is life

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/florencequinne/status/1367589952029032450

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The tweet in question:

https://twitter.com/emrazz/status/1367352130563104769

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Democratic voters just like their faves and won't believe that they would do bad things.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

hey poor and hosed-over of Texas! Don't like your governor? Impeach and remove him! Bing bong so simple.

https://twitter.com/MMFlint/status/1367179024544505866

hey poor and destitute of the Earth! Don't like your God? Attack and dethrone him! Bing bong so simple.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

tmfc posted:

hey poor and destitute of the Earth! Don't like your God? Attack and dethrone him! Bing bong so simple.

The endboss Kefka speech, but its bidens cornpop story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

hey poor and hosed-over of Texas! Don't like your governor? Impeach and remove him! Bing bong so simple.

https://twitter.com/MMFlint/status/1367179024544505866

Don't mess with Texas! Or else the Texans will be sad and poor, and will make toothless vague threats.