Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Apologies, they're not just shooter protagonists, also third-person action games and stealth games

Banjo Tooie was a shooter, since Kazooie became a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Khanstant posted:

I dunno about FF but WoW also goes out of its way to slow the game down if you opt to not pay for boosts. They'll sit on their hands for weeks, months, years, about big or current expac issues... but the second somebody finds out an even marginally faster way to level new characters, they scramble and hotfix it away immediately. It feels like they sit back and watch play statistics and instead of using that to guide them to developing features that people seem to gravitate toward, they instead just see that players aren't doing what they say they should be doing.

This reminds me of Destiny and Bungie scrambling to patch the loot cave while the endgame RPG is completely unfinished.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Extreme Hard Mode: Identifying 2000s-2010s Shooter Protagonists, portraits only

Edit:

you'd think being extremely online would help me recognize at least one of these dudes but nope! no idea!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Khanstant posted:

I wonder if or when WoW Classics catch up to modern expansions, will there come a point where you could actually level a character from start to finish with the content designed for that stage of the game along the way. WoW changes so much from expansion to expansion, once content is old, it's basically broken. Old content was designed and tuned for systems that may or may no exist anymore and it creates these really bizarre anachronistic moments. Like you might be leveling a new character, doing some quests in was once a max level zone, that assumed characters there would have all of the game's skills and starting to acquire it's best gear. Meanwhile, today, some of those gear mechanics don't even exist anymore, your class is different, and you only have half of your abilities and you're stuck dealing with this zone full of hollow mobs wearing the skin of an era-past dealing arbitrarily scaled numbers to one another.

The old notion of "learning the game" or "learning your class" doesn't apply since you don't get the game's/class' full tools until your max level and none of the content is ever challenging or engaging in a way that would ever force the player to learn the combat beyond mash 1234.

Are you aware of all the revamping blizz is doing?

WoW Live (not classic) is (has?) being completely restructured so now you can level from 1-60 in any expac. So instead of the awkward fast leveling process of spending a few hours in Burning Crusade and out-leveling it before you experience the story, then going to Northrend and doing the same, you can choose to go to Northrend at level 10 (20?) OR go to Outland at level 10/20 and either way you level all the way up to 60 just seeing that one expansion's story.

I think that works much, much better, having them sit as parallel stories instead of one HUGE epic track that you have to do all of at once in a specific order.

Although it does require you to either ignore some plot holes or have stories that don't build on each other, sure.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

yeah i only recognize Default Male Shepard and Guy From Too Human (cause he's got blue lines on his face like on the box art, which is the only part of that game i've ever seen)

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Shepard and Baldur are recognizable, the rest is basically impossible unless you have some very deep love for the games they're in.

I remember seeing this a long time ago, don't remember them all but I do know a few are from extremely forgettable games and others are very famous characters.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm pretty sure either 1 or 3 is the guy from Red Faction Guerilla but I can't narrow it down more than that

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is my monthly reminder than Anthem and Artifact are different games

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

The frustrating thing about Genshin is that it would be really fun to experiment with different team compositions, but the way the leveling system works you really need to pick a team and put all your resources into it. It's still fun having a single team and bopping around and solving puzzles (even the starter team!) and there's a lot of care and charm put into the world and the story. Play it like a single player game, get to the end of the story, it's absolutely worth it.

But the system of elements and weapons is fun to play with! Like when I got the fire bomb girl I could swap out my fire archer, but so many of the world puzzles (and the headshot robots) really want you to have an archer, so I brought in the lightning archer which combos nicely with fire. That made my lightning wizard redundant, etc., etc. And I'd be happy to pony up for the monthly gem trickle to do more of that, but having to get a new character to the same level as the rest of your team makes it impossible.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit:

Max Payne isn't on there and that's a drat crime.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I knew literally one of those and I thought one of them had to be Niko Bellic but he's not there at all lol

Answers here:

https://pastebin.com/8pDycHiP

Credit goes to this tweet but I'm suppressing the preview since the answers are visible
code:
https://twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/1320465361423241217

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Khanstant posted:

I just tried watching 5 minutes of outrider gameplay footage feauturing each class and I couldn't tell you when the class swap happened or when they added a skinny guy to gears of war

That's more an issue with Outriders' art department than anything else.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Harrow posted:

if the thread title wasn't already perfect I'd be changing it to this

Do it. I dare you.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Computer, show me the forbidden suppermariobroth posts

(deleted because of mario lore arguments)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Interesting theory but this doesn't consider where these games place on the Super Mario Timeline

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Walla posted:

Do it. I dare you.

Do it, these thread titles never last the full month anyway

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The main issues were that Dimentio specifically sent him to the Underwhere and that Paper Mario is sometimes implied to be a different character from Super Mario

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Harrow posted:

if the thread title wasn't already perfect I'd be changing it to this

"Warch: the wholesome business model of noah's ark 3d cannot save you from gamergod" does fit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit:

Ah, the complete PiranhaBytes collection.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

karmicknight posted:

"Warch: the wholesome business model of noah's ark 3d cannot save you from gamergod" does fit.

if the mods capitalize warch i will destroy them

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Warch

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I knew literally one of those and I thought one of them had to be Niko Bellic but he's not there at all lol

Answers here:

https://pastebin.com/8pDycHiP

Credit goes to this tweet but I'm suppressing the preview since the answers are visible
code:
https://twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/1320465361423241217

agent 47 is so hilariously grumpy i never would have guessed that was him lmao

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Relax Or DIE posted:

if the mods capitalize warch i will destroy them

fair.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Procrastine posted:

Computer, show me the forbidden suppermariobroth posts

(deleted because of mario lore arguments)

Canonically, in Super Mario RPG, Smithy shattered the Star Road, thus plunging the mushroom kingdom into a world of only despair.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

warch is unimprovable

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Harrow posted:

warch is unimprovable

overwarch

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Harrow posted:

warch is unimprovable

:hmmyes:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Ogre Battle: Warch of the Black Queen

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I am the true inventor of warch yet have not gotten a single penny out of this.....

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
warch dorgs

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
warch of the eagles

my favorite paradox game.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
warchlight

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
warch is over. overwarch

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
warchandise

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Help Im Alive posted:

I am the true inventor of warch yet have not gotten a single penny out of this.....

i swooped in like an elon musk and made the thread, buying the right to say i invented it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

game & warch

yokai warch

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

game and warch

efb

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Warchette

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Are you aware of all the revamping blizz is doing?

WoW Live (not classic) is (has?) being completely restructured so now you can level from 1-60 in any expac. So instead of the awkward fast leveling process of spending a few hours in Burning Crusade and out-leveling it before you experience the story, then going to Northrend and doing the same, you can choose to go to Northrend at level 10 (20?) OR go to Outland at level 10/20 and either way you level all the way up to 60 just seeing that one expansion's story.

I think that works much, much better, having them sit as parallel stories instead of one HUGE epic track that you have to do all of at once in a specific order.

Although it does require you to either ignore some plot holes or have stories that don't build on each other, sure.

I'm aware of it but I have managed to avoid temptations ever since the first vocal boycott event. Honestly from the outside I cannot conceive of how it's any different than before, just with smaller numbers. You're still going through punctuated content re-scaled but not actually designed for the game and systems as they exist today. I am of the view there really is no way to re-experience old content, except through something like WoW Classic. They even tried updating the whole world at once to make it more contiguous between leveling to moving through expacs, but all it really did was convolute things and block off even more now-broken content. I'd probably be okay with them just changing character creation to always create a new character for the current expansion levels, instead of trying to backwards include a lifetime of heroics and adventures to some race/class combo that didn't even exist during those times.

I've leveled through Northrend at various times but I'm not ever experiencing anything like what it was like during Wrath, it was practically a different game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Kerrzhe posted:

agent 47 is so hilariously grumpy i never would have guessed that was him lmao

Same. He looks different in Hitman 2