Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
We got them to change Sonic and we’re getting the Snyder cut. There’s nothing stopping us from getting back Lola Bunny’s big boobies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

My favorite part of the Lola Bunny thing is the 90s version looks exactly like everyone at the gym these days.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Leperflesh posted:

You should be. I regard it as the second-most-dangerous thing in my shop, after my table saw;

Routers still scare the poo poo out of me and should put any sane person on edge. You can't make them safe and still have them do their job. I literally close the door to my shop when I (rarely) fire it up, because I can't hear anyone approaching, and one time my dog came in and bumped my leg while I was edging a block and I about freaked out (but didn't move, thankfully).

I don't have a table saw because I'm trying to duck a family amputation curse; I'd be the fourth generation to lose a digit to a table saw. When I need one, I just bring the work to my father and have him do it on his.

Get a lathe. Turning pens is fun and easy, and eliminate any need to put effort into gift-giving for a few years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GD_American posted:

Routers still scare the poo poo out of me and should put any sane person on edge. You can't make them safe and still have them do their job. I literally close the door to my shop when I (rarely) fire it up, because I can't hear anyone approaching, and one time my dog came in and bumped my leg while I was edging a block and I about freaked out (but didn't move, thankfully).

I don't have a table saw because I'm trying to duck a family amputation curse; I'd be the fourth generation to lose a digit to a table saw. When I need one, I just bring the work to my father and have him do it on his.

Get a lathe. Turning pens is fun and easy, and eliminate any need to put effort into gift-giving for a few years.

I read half of this thinking you were talking about an internet router and not a giant loving saw and was very, very confused.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

A decent table saw is definitely on my list. We have a crappy one my wife's parents got me when we first moved in together and weren't married. Her mom has a real nice cast iron one we could take (it used to belong to my wife's late father), but there's no way in hell we could get it downstairs to where we have our workspace. I may bite the bullet and put it in the garage where it would be a whole production to use, but at least it would sit level, which the super cheap one does not do.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I have a Bosch table saw. My hand router is a Bosch too. I don't have a tabletop router

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

:lol: Glad someone caught this so quickly. I thought about it as I was looking at the "hope it was good" screen and said gently caress it, too late now.

I did read through a lot of the first page of that one yesterday. It's a pity the thread is so old most of the images aren't there anymore. I'll probably skip back a few years to when everything went to imgur and bookmark it to read through.

Well reading the entire thread would be quite a project, but I'd consider just jumping to the end if you like, it's not at all necessary to do that first.

GD_American posted:

I don't have room for a proper lathe, and I'm not really interested in one of those tiny benchtop hobby lathes for now. Actually I'm about to make a small table using a slab of walnut I've had lying around for ages.

For sure you don't want an animal or child underfoot while using any power tool, but especially one that is responsible for a lot of the "degloved" stuff on the internet (do not google that term unless you have a strong stomach!)

If you have an extra thousand dollars over the base price of a comparably-sized table saw, maybe you can buck the family curse by getting a Sawstop. I hate that they refuse to license their tech to anyone and also charge a lot for it, but you can't argue with the massive improvement in safety that their technology offers.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

A decent table saw is definitely on my list. We have a crappy one my wife's parents got me when we first moved in together and weren't married. Her mom has a real nice cast iron one we could take (it used to belong to my wife's late father), but there's no way in hell we could get it downstairs to where we have our workspace. I may bite the bullet and put it in the garage where it would be a whole production to use, but at least it would sit level, which the super cheap one does not do.

I've come around to the general woodworking thread consensus (with some objectors) that a bandsaw + a handheld circular saw, is together better than just a (non-Sawstop) table saw, as well as being a whole lot safer. At any rate a bandsaw can do a number of cuts that a table saw can do, but is inherently a safer tool. That said, I got a table saw before a bandsaw and I don't really regret it. I know myself to be a careful, cautious user of dangerous tools, though, so I trust myself with one.

A big slab of cast iron is a great base for a table saw. You need a riving knife or something that functions as one (I use the M J Splitter system which mostly replaces a riving knife's function) though, and a lot of times old saws are missing them so keep that in mind. Also big cabinet saws often want 220v.

D-LINK posted:

I have a Bosch table saw. My hand router is a Bosch too. I don't have a tabletop router

My Delta table saw is excellent, albeit fairly old. Bosch is good. A good brand that has pretty low prices for shop woodworking stuff is Grizzly. My Rikon bandsaw hasn't disappointed me, and I see Jet around a lot too.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 5, 2021

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GD_American posted:

What's so scary about this? It looks so friendly.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I want to get back into woodworking, I was really proud of my last project turned our really well, but after my divorce lost the gumption to do it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nick Jr. Face posted:

All this time I remembered it as "Toon Squad". drat you, Mandela Effect
Looney Tunes != Tiny Toon Adventures. That's what trips up all of us 90s kids.

That, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit involved Toontown.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Silly Burrito posted:

It's just waiting to pounce, those antennae twitching when you're not looking.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CannonFodder posted:

Looney Tunes != Tiny Toon Adventures. That's what trips up all of us 90s kids.

That, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit involved Toontown.

I like that the only way they could do Who Framed Roger Rabbit was by giving Mickey and Bugs exactly equal screen time. So the only scene they're in they're both on screen the entire time.

Also Donald Duck probably calls Daffy the n word.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

D-LINK posted:

There is zero need for anyone besides a professional carpenter/furniture maker to have a tabletop router. A good mount for your handheld is maybe 40 bucks.

I've seen the stuff on Sawstop; as dumb as it sounds considering the massive testing they've done, I still just have a hard time believing in it. I am laughing right now reading about how the entire saw industry is waging war on them, which, because I'm an idiot, actually does more to convince me they have something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

From the "what about community safety" files
https://twitter.com/dabeard/status/1367614345342038023?s=20

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

GD_American posted:

There is zero need for anyone besides a professional carpenter/furniture maker to have a tabletop router. A good mount for your handheld is maybe 40 bucks.

I've seen the stuff on Sawstop; as dumb as it sounds considering the massive testing they've done, I still just have a hard time believing in it. I am laughing right now reading about how the entire saw industry is waging war on them, which, because I'm an idiot, actually does more to convince me they have something.

I’ve seen one work. The person had a tiny cut on their finger. Once my son is old enough to start working with me, I’m going to ditch the dewalt job site saw and upgrade to the saw stop portable.

My router is also the scariest tool I have until I finally set up my jointer.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Also Donald Duck probably calls Daffy the n word.

Yeah but only because scrooge mcduck funds the papers that write the stories, that cause the tension so they don't join forces to take his wealth.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

One thing I quickly learned from doing wirless network testing was that all but one of those antenna on every single home router was empty plastic.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

swickles posted:

I want to get back into woodworking, I was really proud of my last project turned our really well, but after my divorce lost the gumption to do it.

Maybe you can start small? Get yourself a whittling knife and some basswood? You can make something while watching TV or whatnot.

GD_American posted:

I think a tabletop router is much safer than a handheld one, and I mostly use mine in its table. It's tremendously useful even for small projects.

Sawstop works. Maybe too well, you may find yourself out a hundo if you try and feed some overly wet wood into one, since it works by constantly checking conductivity of whatever is in contact with the blade and will slam that blade into a block of aluminum in a microsecond if conductivity hits a certain threshold that is similar to human skin.

But they won't sell upgrade kits for other saws, they won't license out the tech, and a basic contractor's jobsite style saw from them costs $1400, which is outrageous. They're reaping profits on a safety device that ought to be industry wide and clearly the only way they can actually save everyone's fingers like they say they want to, with this approach, is to become literally the only table saw company in the world, which isn't happening.

So instead they'll be profitable until the day their patent runs out and then instantly disappear. Good. gently caress that company. In the meantime, though, if you think you're gonna chop a finger off and it's worth $1k to you to not to, it's the way to go. I'm sticking with my Delta that I got on Craigslist for $175, though, a saw that compares to their "professional" $2500 saw.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Sawstop's wiki page sure seems like they tried to license for years first but didn't get decent terms; I imagine there's two sides to that story.

And yeah, after years of suing and lobbying, the day those patents expire every single company will have their own version.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Its Rinaldo posted:

I've given up on Breath of the Wild. I just can't find it interesting. I dug out Divinity Original Sin 2 and man is this Sad Animals the Game.

I kind of share this opinion. it had the oblivion effect for me where it was very wide but very shallow.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1367590642637938691?s=19

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

I'm not going to quote it but there's a Dennis Robin baseball card in that tweet conversation that is definitely not safe for work.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So is Wayne Knight returning for the sequel or not?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GD_American posted:

Sawstop's wiki page sure seems like they tried to license for years first but didn't get decent terms; I imagine there's two sides to that story.

And yeah, after years of suing and lobbying, the day those patents expire every single company will have their own version.

I don't want to talk myself into defending the giant corporations that make table saws, but yeah somehow those companies manage to license lots of other tech for power tools from inventors and each other, and yet this one tech they can't license.

The rumor has always been that Sawstop basically demanded terms that would keep their own saws cheaper than any competitor's saw using their technology, which is obviously a non-starter for any company trying to license it.

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

Wasn't Dallas where that lady cop bust into the wrong apartment "thinking it was hers" and blew a black guy away?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

What is the thread consensus on the original Space Jam? I think I saw it once over the course of several PE classes in 4th grade, and then saw it once more circa 2012 and it didn’t make much of an impression either time.

It’s not especially good use of the Looney Tunes, and Jordan was a void of charisma onscreen.

Edit: I did have some Space Jam pajamas because my uncle was a sporting goods broker for Champion Athletic.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 5, 2021

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I've never watched Space Jam.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I saw it once and thought it was bad.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The NBA players acting like they couldn't play was funny

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The funniest bit in retrospect is the idea that there was any talent to steal from Shawn Bradley.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's got a killer theme song from

*checks notes*

Oh, for gently caress's sake, really?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Skwirl posted:

*checks notes*

.....What's wrong with Steve Miller

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

In non-rabbit sex news, this is an incredibly wholesome video. I thought for a bit this guy worked for some city's public works but apparently he is a freelance hero who goes around clearing street drains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV9dOHRDb3c

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

General Dog posted:

The funniest bit in retrospect is the idea that there was any talent to steal from Shawn Bradley.

His monstar was the only one to put up an all zero statline

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the funniest part was bill murray saying "Larry I'm giving us both threes on that hole, neither of us was in any condition to putt."

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Samadhi posted:

In non-rabbit sex news, this is an incredibly wholesome video. I thought for a bit this guy worked for some city's public works but apparently he is a freelance hero who goes around clearing street drains

What I learned is apparently their sewage systems are designed to just overflow into waterways when it floods :stonk:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Skwirl posted:

*checks notes*

Yeah. gently caress that guy. But the Monstars Anthem is awesome still.

https://youtu.be/I4_3PVFSUxE

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Its Rinaldo posted:

What I learned is apparently their sewage systems are designed to just overflow into waterways when it floods :stonk:

That's true basically everywhere. The alternative is critically breaking your waste collection system. By the time you're reaching that point the vast majority of flow is just rainwater. At least it should be.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I think a tabletop router is much safer than a handheld one, and I mostly use mine in its table. It's tremendously useful even for small projects.

Yeah, after 10 years of working on production floors, I will shell out extra for some safety. I shelled out for a little table to attach it to that has all the fingers and guides and whatnot (look, I'm not a wood word expert). A router is one of those things I've thought would be nice to have but could never justify. The project I could finally justify it with is doing our own rosettes for trimwork. The store-bought ones are too ornate, and buying enough for the whole house is the cost of a router anyway. I definitely want a solid surface working on something that small.

The bandsaw + circular does make sense, but bandsaw and drill press are definitely a next-house (long-term house) thing. I hadn't thought about the 220V on the old cast iron one my MIL has. I'll have to check on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Samadhi posted:

This dude kicks rear end. Nothing but a rake, some sweatpants, and a pair of boots.