Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Truth in labeling is an important consumer protection though.

I'm late to this party but I guess this explains your redtext.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Captainsalami posted:

If you're going to put any stock in TFR redtext, that's on you :shrug:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The French also call potatoes "ground apples".

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

more falafel please posted:

So too the Germans.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The idiot english insist that a bunch of unrelated fruits are all some kind of “berry”

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I think vegan food needs to be more confident in itself. "Deep fried banana blossom" sounds so much tastier to me than "vegan fish and chips."

Grand Fromage posted:

Why would you need to do that? If everything's being stewed or something you don't have to care, if it isn't then just cut the meat after you've finished the vegetables. Easy.
I guess it's more accurate to say that I'm a depressed bachelor goon living alone and doing a mise en place would require me clearing off the counters to make room.

more falafel please posted:

Get into the linguistics and everything is an apple. The word "peach" comes from the old Roman name malum persicum, or "Persian apple."

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
an astounding proportion of actual chefs are depressed bachelors and what they tend to do ime is just not clear off the counter but still do the mise

(or microwave pizza rolls lol)

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Captainsalami posted:

this isn't really the place to discuss Cyrano being an ammosexual

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

bob dobbs is dead posted:

an astounding proportion of actual chefs are depressed bachelors and what they tend to do ime is just not clear off the counter but still do the mise

(or microwave pizza rolls lol)

All well and good until your bowl of sliced creminis slides off the wobbly tower of pizza boxes.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Nameless Pete posted:

Has anybody tried making re-usable "animal bones" out of oven safe ceramic? I smell a potential market. I found a couple people on Reddit who made vegan ribs using maplewood and clay, but I'm imagining something you can put in the dishwasher. Or like a whole chicken skeleton or something. Most of the purchases would probably be made by passive aggressive family members, though.

I eat vegetarian a lot, but it's mostly driven by my unwillingness to wash an additional cutting board.

the standard restaurant prep here these days is pieces of sugarcane for vegan drumsticks and ribs and such, it works really well

and a hearty perpetual lmao at all the weirdos who still have a 90s afterschool special outlook on veganism as some impossibly weird thing about which they need to be Very Concerned lest they wake up one morning and find their precious hogfat jar spirited away in the night and replaced with the Devil's Toejam (what they call tofu when they're extra mad at vegans)

have a boca burger and chill lol

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Nameless Pete posted:

All well and good until your bowl of sliced creminis slides off the wobbly tower of pizza boxes.

Clean your kitchen. No fooling having a clean kitchen will give you a sense of self accomplishment that can't be matched. I'm deeply depressed all the time, but I clean because it makes the depression bearable. Cleaning is a way to clear up your mind too. It can be fun if you dance while you do it. You don't have to do a deep clean first. Just clear the trash and do a load of dishes.

It makes your food taste better.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nameless Pete posted:

I think vegan food needs to be more confident in itself. "Deep fried banana blossom" sounds so much tastier to me than "vegan fish and chips."

I guess it's more accurate to say that I'm a depressed bachelor goon living alone and doing a mise en place would require me clearing off the counters to make room.

Get into the linguistics and everything is an apple. The word "peach" comes from the old Roman name malum persicum, or "Persian apple."

vegan food already has that stuff, they just want to imitate crap carnivore food for themselves sometimes and don't care about what you think

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Vegan food is surprisingly easy to make too, when we make vegetarian food once a week or so at least half of the vegetarian recipes we use are actually vegan too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I accidentally make vegan dishes all the time. I'm happy to eat good vegan or vegetarian food but I'm of the camp of "don't call it vegan meat because that's stupid."

I think in my case a big part of it is if someone makes something for me and calls it "vegan bacon," all that happens is I sit there and think about how little it tastes like bacon and I have a bad time. If someone serves me "crispy bbq eggplant" (which has been served to me as vegan bacon) I'll be like "hey this is good I love eggplant."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CommonShore posted:

I accidentally make vegan dishes all the time. I'm happy to eat good vegan or vegetarian food but I'm of the camp of "don't call it vegan meat because that's stupid."

I think in my case a big part of it is if someone makes something for me and calls it "vegan bacon," all that happens is I sit there and think about how little it tastes like bacon and I have a bad time. If someone serves me "crispy bbq eggplant" (which has been served to me as vegan bacon) I'll be like "hey this is good I love eggplant."

That's a you problem not a problem for veganismù

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had some vegan replacement bacon once, it was alright, sort of like bacon flavoured doner meat which is impressive for something with supposedly no meat content. Wouldn't pay for it though, too expensive.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the fakon i had the one time reminded me of the bacon shaped dog treats we would get for doggo when i was young. not good, do not recommend.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Brawnfire posted:

It was brownie batter with ground beef mixed in and baked.

He didn't inform us of this before we ate them

haha, :same:

except it was weed instead of beef, and instead of D&D it was start of evening shift in a kitchen.

We chilled out at the end of the night smoking cigs and sitting on milk crates and said a bunch of word salad that made us feel like zen monks.

Powerful experience, 8.5/10 would recommend.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

CommonShore posted:

[preachy vegan] *silence*
[meat eater who ate a lentil once] I don't think you should call that a sausage if it doesn't have meat in.

No one asked, no one cares.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

oh my god shut the gently caress up and post afp jesus

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The meat lobby recently tried to make it illegal to call meatless products 'burgers', 'sausages', 'steaks' etc in the EU. It's was eventually shot down by the EU parliament. Burger, sausage and steak are shapes, meat or no meat.

However, the dairy lobby got throught that you can't called plant based foods 'milk, 'butter', 'yogurt'. Guess peanut butter got grandfathered in.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

plant-based non-BUTTER food product

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

The meat lobby recently tried to make it illegal to call meatless products 'burgers', 'sausages', 'steaks' etc in the EU. It's was eventually shot down by the EU parliament. Burger, sausage and steak are shapes, meat or no meat.

blasted Big Meat

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

CommonShore posted:

Less that, more that it's also selling vegan food short. Like... vegetables and fruits are perfectly capable of being delicious on their own without trying to copy meat, and the meat-copy stuff just tends to be... not good, because it's trying not to be what it is. Vegan food that isn't ashamed to be vegan food is best, in my experience.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

axolotl farmer posted:

However, the dairy lobby got throught that you can't called plant based foods 'milk, 'butter', 'yogurt'. Guess peanut butter got grandfathered in.

And they are right. Also you can't call even dairy products that don't fit the definitions butter and such, so if you had a dairy spread that wasn't actually butter, you can't use the word butter in its name anymore. Peanut butter should be called peanut spread, not butter.

Hopefully the meat regulations will come into effect as well.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Milk, butter and yogurt are textures, not content.

I'd like them to just label it by what it's made from, like actually writing out 'cow butter' or 'oat milk'.

Also lol if you don't think the meat and dairy lobbys are a huge political, environmental and financial disaster.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They shouldn't be able to call it mustard gas unless it's made with real mustard

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

If it's not from the TripleDeckerBypassBurger region of the US, it's just 10,000 mg of sodium in meat form

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
NO ONE CARES ABOUT HOW YOU LABEL PRODUCTS ANYMORE SHUT UUUUP peanut spread because butter is TOO CONFUSING FOR YOU SHUT. UP.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

fizzymercury posted:

NO ONE CARES ABOUT HOW YOU LABEL PRODUCTS ANYMORE SHUT UUUUP peanut spread because butter is TOO CONFUSING FOR YOU SHUT. UP.

Actually it shouldn't be called peanut spread either, because it's not a nut.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

steinrokkan posted:

And they are right. Also you can't call even dairy products that don't fit the definitions butter and such, so if you had a dairy spread that wasn't actually butter, you can't use the word butter in its name anymore. Peanut butter should be called peanut spread, not butter.

Hopefully the meat regulations will come into effect as well.

Hopefully not because this is stupid as poo poo and you sound like a shameless shill for the meat and dairy industry. People managed to deal with the existence of peanut butter and coconut milk for years without crying about vegan food taking good honest names away from our meat and dairy products. 'Milk' has an extremely long history of association in English and other languages with non-dairy products, with things like poppy milk, milk of magnesia, and the various plant based milks all having existed for many centuries across the planet.

The dairy industry muscling in and trying to assert their sole claim to the word milk is total bullshit from most perspectives but especially a linguistic one.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Butterfly Valley posted:

Hopefully not because this is stupid as poo poo and you sound like a shameless shill for the meat and dairy industry. People managed to deal with the existence of peanut butter and coconut milk for years without crying about vegan food taking good honest names away from our meat and dairy products. 'Milk' has an extremely long history of association in English and other languages with non-dairy products, with things like poppy milk, milk of magnesia, and the various plant based milks all having existed for many centuries across the planet.

The dairy industry muscling in and trying to assert their sole claim to the word milk is total bullshit from most perspectives but especially a linguistic one.

Time to put this nightmare to an end.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I have taken a farm hostage and I’m going to kill a cow each time someone posts about vegans or food labeling

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

As someone who used to be hardcore vegan oh my god i'm just coming here to look at gross pasta jesus christ

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

steinrokkan posted:

Actually it shouldn't be called peanut spread either, because it's not a nut.

GOOBER PASTE

edit: poo poo, forgot Goober was that PBJ combo in a jar

Still I can envision an alt-world where "goober peabutter" is accepted nomenclature

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hey that thing that at least a dozen people are talking about, nobody cares :confused:

content:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

GOOBER PASTE

edit: poo poo, forgot Goober was that PBJ combo in a jar

Still I can envision an alt-world where "goober peabutter" is accepted nomenclature

more people need to call them goober peas imo

just before the battle the general hears a row
he says "the yanks are coming, I hear their rifles now"
he turns around in wonder and what do you think he sees
the texas militia, eatin goober peas

peas peas peas peas eatin goober peas
i wish the war was over and free from flags and fleas
we'd kiss our wives and sweethearts and gobble goober peas

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
We used to sing that song every Friday while we learned Texas History and eat peanuts and drank fruit punch in 2nd grade. My teacher called us "her little cotton pickers". I grew up weird.

My Mema always called 'em goobers and when she'd make boiled goobers I wished she didn't call them that. Took a lot longer to get around to trying boiled goobers than it would have if they'd been peanuts.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/KhosroKalbasi/status/1366806805553303567

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

pretty sure i would so hard i'd have whiplash?