Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Cardiovorax posted:

I've literally never seen one in my entire life. To me they're on the same level of "archaic and quasi-mythological" as top hats: they probably existed somewhere at some point, but certainly not within my lifetime.

To hear that there are actually still places in the US where this is the norm is kind of a weird feeling.
You don't have to go to the US, you can find them in Poland for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Everyone's favorite Valve game is ending updates and going free.

quote:

Artifact, the Dota 2 card game, shipped in November of 2018. Despite good initial sales, our player count fell off pretty dramatically. This warranted a shift from the service/update development model we'd planned to a full reevaluation of the game's mechanics and economy.

It's now been about a year and a half since the current Artifact team began work on a reboot in earnest. While we're reasonably satisfied we accomplished most of our game-side goals, we haven't managed to get the active player numbers to a level that justifies further development at this time. As such, we've made the tough decision to stop development on the Artifact 2.0 Beta.

However, we recognize that both versions of Artifact still have players and still have value to the community. For this reason, we're opening both games up to make them available for free to everyone. Final releases of both Artifact Classic and Artifact 2.0 Beta (renamed Artifact Foundry) are now available. Technically Artifact Foundry remains an unfinished product, but most of what's missing is polish and art - the core gameplay is all there. While both games will remain playable, we don’t plan to ship any further gameplay updates.

RIP

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

haldolium posted:

lol don't sweat it, I actually forgot about this at my 2nd PT recently and spent points later as I could've. It's just not very intuitive in the beginning, totally okay to miss it.

It really isn't that self-explanatory or transparently communicated to the player and you are easily distracted by other stuff going on in Control as to actively check control point menues.

In a game about finding things to interact with to explore the story and lore somehow people are going out of their way to interact with the core game mechanic for leveling and fast traveling.

You don't even have to explore the menu, you just hit F or or Square when you see it and then you see "Fast Travel" "Abilities" "Astral Constructs" and "Board Countermeasures"

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much

If it makes you feel any better, my gaming blunder was finishing the entirety of Arkham Asylum and never understanding that the combat had rhythm to it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

homeless posted:

If it makes you feel any better, my gaming blunder was finishing the entirety of Arkham Asylum and never understanding that the combat had rhythm to it.
I had games where I missed some important mechanic because there was no mention of it or just one and done it, then forgot it existed. Sliding in Shadow of War would have been a great help. Before I had internet, my big bad was forgetting about how to use instant kill specials in the various weapons you got in Granstream Saga, where combat took forever while you chipped away at loving mimics that vomited stunlocks. Enemies could get about 16 lifebars to wear down.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 5, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bussamove posted:

I live in WA but every time I had to hear about our weird friends down south wanting to make it so you can pump your own gas someone brings up gas stations explosions and I have to imagine they think we’re just blowing up gas stations left and right up here.

The story I heard, but haven't been able to confirm, is that the whole thing started here back in the day because some state senator's daughter died pumping her own gas. Jobs and inertia is why it sticks around though. There was a big deal when the law was altered to allow some stations to go self-service at night; out in remote areas with staffing issues they'd just shut down entirely and that's a hazard when you're the only station for miles in any direction.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Taking inspiration from Anthem, I see.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Veotax posted:

Taking inspiration from Anthem, I see.

They're still charging $59.99 for Anthem on Origin lmao

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yikes.

I had big hopes for that game, but didn't buy it and it flopped.

Was confident Valve could / would fix it, and nowwww they're just giving up on it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its interesting they cite poor player numbers right now when most people cant even play the game if they wanted to since its been in closed beta for 2 years or whatever

i guess the hardcore artifact nerds they invited arent even playing it lol

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
The last time I stopped at a full service gas station in Portland before self-service was legalized, we asked the attendant to top off our oil. He did, and then promptly lost the oil cap without telling us. We went back the next day to look for it and the manager brought us into the back office to look through the lost & found. Three cardboard boxes absolutely filled with gas, oil, and radiator caps. How the gently caress do you even

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
loop hero seems to be pretty kick rear end.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

uber_stoat posted:

yeah i'm thinking about getting it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0qZTS38cjw

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

In a game about finding things to interact with to explore the story and lore somehow people are going out of their way to interact with the core game mechanic for leveling and fast traveling.

You don't even have to explore the menu, you just hit F or or Square when you see it and then you see "Fast Travel" "Abilities" "Astral Constructs" and "Board Countermeasures"

I just started Control on a different platform, and I don't think it unlocks upgrades right away. I'm not sure when it does, but all I can do so far is fast travel and change my outfit. I'm only three or four control points in though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

homeless posted:

I didn't know you could kill monsters in silent hill 2, so I'd knock them down and they'd keep getting up and chasing me.

Improved the game immensely.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

sebmojo posted:

I didn't know you could kill monsters in silent hill 2, so I'd knock them down and they'd keep getting up and chasing me.

Improved the game immensely.
There is a hidden feature in SH3 where monsters should be dead, but they can keep reviving, so you think they had much more health.

uber_stoat posted:

That dev? stream done by skeletor is really selling it to me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Still a warmer reception than Diablo Immortal

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Sab669 posted:

I had big hopes for that game, but didn't buy it and it flopped.

It's all your fault.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
What you fools can't see is that Artiffact 3.0 will have anime art like that of the upcoming Dota anime. THAT will be the money printer, baby!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This still warms my cold, black heart

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

beautiful. should have sent a poet.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Blizzard and Valve seem to be passing the torch for "biggest gently caress ups with IP" when it comes to DOTA.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
For Loop Hero, do temporal beacons next to meadows make the meadow give healing on a faster cycle than normal days? I thought yea but from testing it doesn’t really seem to be the case.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

no they still just do it once a day - but putting anything next to meadows increases the amount they heal for.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Barry Convex posted:

got my Eternal Cylinder beta key, will have to give that a try. hopefully the survival elements aren't too hardcore

haven't had a chance to properly play it yet, but I checked the options menu and there are thankfully several options to turn down the difficulty of the survival elements. good news for gamers like me who aren't really fans of the survival genre but are intrigued by the exploration/adventure aspects

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I never opened the menu! I didn't know there was one!! I press "F" on the point and it does the animation and then the first time it draws my attention elsewhere, the second time it tells me with no further input that I've unlocked fast travel so I just assume that's all the drat things do. I haven't needed or wanted to fast travel yet so I never looked at them further.

if it helps I completely missed that poo poo for at least a couple hours, too, for exactly the same reason

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Loop Hero is great but man I want this on my phone

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

explosivo posted:

Loop Hero is great but man I want this on my phone

The old itch.io alpha actually has an Android download available, looks like that didn't make it through to the finished product, at least not yet. ...And now that the game is out the Steam demo has been removed. Sigh.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Loop Hero...has no cloud saves. :negative:

I wish this were a standard feature! Especially now that I'm in a position where I go between my desktop PC and laptop a lot!

e: ...wait, holy poo poo, it does? Why is it not marked on the store page??

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 5, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Loop Hero is... decent? I'm not sure if it'll be the next big thing, but I'm sure it'll be fun until it's over at least.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1359320/The_Last_Divinity/

Monster Train's newest DLC is out in two weeks!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone else pickup The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1272160/The_Life_and_Suffering_of_Sir_Brante/

Sorta choose your own adventure about one persons entire life.

Came out today and I've been enjoying it a lot.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Yes, I bought it today as well. I really enjoyed the demo and the save carried over. The demo was pretty long as well if anyone is interested.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Wasn't sure what Loop Heroes was, so I checked Steam bestsellers and didn't see it only to realize I'd ignored it weeks ago in a discovery queue. The game just didn't (doesn't) look fun at all.

Different games for different personalities and playstyles, I suppose.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Hell yeah! Soul Nomad & The World Eaters is coming to PC!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1535610/Soul_Nomad__the_World_Eaters/

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Yeah I put a couple hours into the demo and idgi. I had a hard time figuring out how I was meant to play it. Regardless of whether I was reserved with monster cards or mostly just dumped everything onto the field, I'd only make it 5 or 6 runs around the board before having to bail. I also couldn't quite manage to get a cohesive build going in any of my runs which was more frustrating than anything. The town unlocks looked like they'd be a huge grind too, I think I only managed to add the cheapest upgrade even after playing for 2 hours.

Even if I understood how to min/max, it's not really my kind of game I think.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Gonna pick up Loop Hero since i loved the demo! But while i am at it, Rhythm Doctor, yeay or nay? Looks like a whole new kind of rhythm game

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gently caress yes, rhythm doctor is incredible. Similar vibe to katana zero but with kickin music and sweet absurd mumblecore romance rather than slicing up goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

after watching the trailer for rhythm doctor i felt like i would just get frustrated with all the "glitchy" stuff in a rhythm game. like if my guitar hero screen suddenly started flickering and notes jumping around i dont think that would be fun for me