Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

we just unanimously ratified the first contract for workers at the Guggenheim; the workers who run and take care of the building, build, install, and light exhibitions, and take care of the collection are unionized. average 10% raises, bonuses, union healthcare, no more favoritism in work schedules, on and on... and all in a pandemic and economic catastrophe

satisfying to see the guy who was management's election witness vote 'yes.' he deserves this as much as anyone else.

unionize or die

gently caress me! nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

pourin’ one out for all the striking mine workers Daniel Guggenheim kicked out of their bunkhouses in -30F temps, the indigenous miners driven up a mountain to work in copper mines 50 miles from any water, the tens of thousands of acres of forest land they stole from the forest service, and every man woman and child murdered by a bullet made from copper and lead that came from the Guggenheim mining trust.

bread and roses motherfuckers

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Hell yes!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

we just unanimously ratified the first contract for workers at the Guggenheim; the workers who run and take care of the building, build, install, and light exhibitions, and take care of the collection are unionized. average 10% raises, bonuses, union healthcare, no more favoritism in work schedules, on and on... and all in a pandemic and economic catastrophe

satisfying to see the guy who was management's election witness vote 'yes.' he deserves this as much as anyone else.

unionize or die

awesome work. so happy you all were able to make that happen under the direst of circumstances

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

unionize or die

nothing like the feel when you get that contract :mufasa:

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Got to help out on a picket line for the first time yesterday. Feels good.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Nice. Getting that boots on the ground experience was what got me really active in the union.

Unrelated downer, but goddamn they'll try every little thing:

The Verge: Amazon changed traffic light timing during union drive, county officials say. posted:

As part of its ongoing fight over an Alabama warehouse’s efforts to unionize, Amazon reportedly changed the timing of a traffic light outside the warehouse, according to reporting by More Perfect Union. Union organizers at the site had previously accused the company of altering the timing so that pro-union workers would not be able to canvass workers while stopped at the light.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

God's work

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

nice, how'd it go?

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

kingcobweb posted:

nice, how'd it go?

I'm not a worker at the memory care facility striking; just a community member helping out. They're striking for more staffing and better pay.

1st day I was there was great, loads of people and high energy while I was there. 2nd day I was there was good but we got drenched by delightful oregon winter weather. Just yesterday they held a candlelight vigil for the folks that had died there and shared stories. They're extending the strike and morale is high!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm not a worker at the memory care facility striking; just a community member helping out. They're striking for more staffing and better pay.

1st day I was there was great, loads of people and high energy while I was there. 2nd day I was there was good but we got drenched by delightful oregon winter weather. Just yesterday they held a candlelight vigil for the folks that had died there and shared stories. They're extending the strike and morale is high!

good poo poo lending support. hope they get everything they're fighting for and then some.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
saw this discussion somewhere else

and it lead to these two resources that people might find useful

https://forgeorganizing.org/article/organizing-secret-history

https://www.marxists.org/archive/foster/1936/10/organizing-methods-steel-industry/index.htm

https://libcom.org/history/party-organizer

mila kunis has issued a correction as of 07:57 on Feb 22, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

a bunch of wolt (gig food delivery) workers are striking in denmark this weekend because wolt is changing their bonus model. used to be a 200 usd bonus if you did 100 deliveries fri-sun, but now its 2.50 per delivery between 5-8 pm same days.

wolt claims it will mean more money for the delivery people (yeah right lol)

its basically the same setup as in the states, the workers are "partners" (independent contractors), and arent unionized atm, but have been organizing thru social media, though apparently wolt negotiating is with the 3F union

last year, just-eat (also gig food delivery) signed an agreement with 3F, but it only covers about 10% of their workers. back then, wolt was all "this is a lame and bullshit agreement that doesn't do enough for the workers" :rolleye:

finally, the EU is working on adjusting anti-trust law so it doesnt cover gig workers. as written, the law would class independent contractors forming a union as if they were a price-fixing cartel

unionize or die

hell yeah

Carthag Tuek has issued a correction as of 16:11 on Feb 26, 2021

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

I'm not in the current bargaining unit (still has to be hashed out before the election) so I'm not allowed to publicly comment but hey my studio just went public.

We make Archer and Dicktown (and other NDA stuff)

https://twitter.com/FCP_Guild/status/1366433048456290304

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
hell yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

that's awesome, congratulations!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

In Training posted:

that's awesome, congratulations!

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

sat through a union busting meeting. got told so many times not to record it I'm not sure I'm allowed to remember it happened.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Union busting lawyers and their employees are the most insufferable people imaginable

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Headed back to Bessemer this weekend to try to raise support for the union among the community. Had a lot of really good stories from people, one was a dude who went to Michigan and worked at a factory organized by united auto workers and he was happy to put up signs and get his whole family to haha.

Voting started a few weeks ago (its by mail) and ends March 31st I think. Hope it works out.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
can help the trade unions in myanmar by donating to the All Burma Federation Of Trade Unions strike fund as they continue to join in the protests against the military dictatorship https://www.gofundme.com/f/abftu

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

apropos to nothing posted:

can help the trade unions in myanmar by donating to the All Burma Federation Of Trade Unions strike fund as they continue to join in the protests against the military dictatorship https://www.gofundme.com/f/abftu

aye, fair enough, my uni sent me an out of the blue stimmy on account of plague apocalypse, unexpected windfalls are an opportune time to express solidarity via material support. if you can spare it, it's good for your soul.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

CoolCab posted:

aye, fair enough, my uni sent me an out of the blue stimmy on account of plague apocalypse, unexpected windfalls are an opportune time to express solidarity via material support. if you can spare it, it's good for your soul.

:hai:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Getting people to sign these union cards is luddite nonsense from a less enlightened age. Why can't I just inject them with a Union RFID yet?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Admiral Ray posted:

Getting people to sign these union cards is luddite nonsense from a less enlightened age. Why can't I just inject them with a Union RFID yet?

check your daily Soros talking points, there’s a great discussion of this

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

we lost the auto indoctrination guns with the fall of the USSR, it’s been looked into though

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

https://twitter.com/audubonforall/status/1372261992145289216?s=20

bird union

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

anyone read Secrets of a Successful Organizer? Is it decent?

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
bessemer amazon union votes are all in, though it will likely be some weeks before the count is finished. seems like the vote could go either way, the campaign itself is much stronger than some of the other high profile union campaigns in the south over the last few years like the volkswaggen plant in tennessee which was heavily top down, but there are still some weaknesses. regardless of the count it will just be the beginning. if it wins the union will have a tough fight ahead in their first contract fight, and if it loses theres 100% an NLRB lawsuit there cause amazon has very brazenly violated labor law, would just be a question of how determined the workers are to keep fighting in the event of a loss which would be demoralizing and possibly destabilizing.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

worth also noting, the labor department is investigating whether the scores of unfair labor practice charges filed by workers at fulfillment centers around the country constitute a pattern of behavior and can be combined into one case

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
this goes in-depth into the gross poo poo that can happen in an anti-union campaign https://mainernews.com/liberal-union-buster-on-the-loose-in-portland/

quote:

Among the many downloadable brochures on mainenurseswhocare.com was one that warned a union would bring “increased bling and colors” to the workplace — an apparent reference to racial diversity.

Joseph Brock, a principal of the union-busting firm Reliant Labor Consultants, one of the out-of-state companies hired by Maine Med this year, declined to answer any questions for this article, including whether the reference to “bling and colors” was race-related. Hospital spokesman Clay Holtzman also declined to comment, but then a funny thing happened. Within hours of our inquiry, the brochure was edited to change the line to “increased bling and red team colors” — whatever that means.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bessemer amazon union votes are all in, though it will likely be some weeks before the count is finished. seems like the vote could go either way, the campaign itself is much stronger than some of the other high profile union campaigns in the south over the last few years like the volkswaggen plant in tennessee which was heavily top down, but there are still some weaknesses. regardless of the count it will just be the beginning. if it wins the union will have a tough fight ahead in their first contract fight, and if it loses theres 100% an NLRB lawsuit there cause amazon has very brazenly violated labor law, would just be a question of how determined the workers are to keep fighting in the event of a loss which would be demoralizing and possibly destabilizing.

fingers crossed, comrade

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I was canvassing Bessemer nearly every other weekend with psl, the majority of the community supports a union but that doesn't mean it will happen. Lots of the younger workers at the Amazon warehouse were the ones who told me they were voting no. loving idiot s

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I was canvassing Bessemer nearly every other weekend with psl, the majority of the community supports a union but that doesn't mean it will happen. Lots of the younger workers at the Amazon warehouse were the ones who told me they were voting no. loving idiot s

The vibe I got from some older acquaintances whose children are working there is that Amazon has done a really good job buttering up the younger folks with largely meaningless benefits that don't actually confer any real value.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Lotta younger folks haven't had any meaningful contact with unions so it seems like it's easier for the bosses to sway them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i hate the bosses

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

In Training posted:

i hate the bosses
:hai:

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

its cause of some of the problems and weaknesses of the campaign, combined with misinfo from amazon. know comrades who talked to folks there who had already cast a no vote but who after a 10 min convo had changed their mind. we cant be dismissive of people for not coming to the correct conclusions immediately we gotta be patient and always willing to work to win people over.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

its cause of some of the problems and weaknesses of the campaign, combined with misinfo from amazon. know comrades who talked to folks there who had already cast a no vote but who after a 10 min convo had changed their mind. we cant be dismissive of people for not coming to the correct conclusions immediately we gotta be patient and always willing to work to win people over.

I mean I'm not dismissive of them when I'm canvassing, doubt any of them are reading this thread. My thoughts are that this is probably the best chance to start a union drive in major retail companies. Amazon will be better prepared next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
my little sister, a care worker at a homeless facility, is getting hosed over by management with a below inflation pay offering for frontline staff immediately following a global pandemic. i am so, so gushingly proud of her and happy i can provide any advice and support to help her organize and get her colleagues loving signed up :3:

apparently they were at some kind of all hands meetings while people were furious and staff were already talking about unionizing. most of the managers were kind of clueless liberal types and were going "sure, why not sign up for a little union"? kind of attitude, while the CEO/owner, who apparently used to be a steward, immediately was visibly shaken and was hugely against the idea. smart lad.