Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Minds keep humans around because they like to gently caress them and they only shame Meatfucker because it admits it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The Minds keep humans around because they like to gently caress them and they only shame Meatfucker because it admits it.

Meatfucker was shamed because it would invade people's privacy and literally rip thoughts out of their minds.

Minds hosed humans in big orgies at least twice on screen and its presented as a pretty normal thing. Sex in general is largely destigmatized, the biggest issue people ever have is the one dude im Player of Games who only hosed women and everyone thinks he's weird as hell.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

General Battuta posted:

That's not a plot hole!

A weird inconsistency that goes against the flow of logic established in the story? I guess there might be a better word for it than plot hole. It breaks my suspension of disbelief at least.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Minds not being as smart as they think they are is one of my favourite features of the Culture.

Excession in particular where
- a Mind indulges in exactly the same juvenile 'get revenge on Hitler' antics as Zakalwe and gets dunked on about it
- a Minds smugs about how the material universe is beneath them and then smash cut to their mate who is flying a breathless tour of cool stars because it's fascinated by them
- all the Minds start a civil war in their exclusive Mayfair dinner club over a higher dimensional entity, which decides they are bickering children not worth its attention and leaves

The Minds are godlike but they absolutely believe their own hype and they're great fun to read about.

Actually if there's one consistent message in the Culture, it isn't that utopia is not enough. I think it's specifically that the Culture's attitude of "yeah well I ran the numbers and war/peace/stellar engineering/uplift is the best solution" isn't really good enough to sustain either the humans or the Minds on its own.

Hell, Special Circumstances specifically exists for situations where the morality calculator spits out a divide by zero.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Minds just keep all the quadrillions of humans around to use the occasional referrers that pop out, change my mind

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

Mauser posted:

I have about 15 pages left in Memory and this one just arrived today, but work is getting in the way :mad:

You've got a treat waiting for you! I'm enjoying it a lot.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I know! Memory took soooo long to get going (as I complained earlier in the thread) but it definitely got going and it was good! It definitely needed a lot of build up for the various factions and plot points, but my only complaint is that I didn't really get the seductive nature of imperial culture coming out in that slow build up as much as it seems to peak out later when the riots and factional street battle action actually starts ups. I definitely get that aspect of it, thinking about the pull that colonial empires had on the elites in colonial and post-colonial settings.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Re: Star Trek books, this is a good site doing a reread of all of them, is a great walk down memory lane for a bunch of stuff I read 20-25 years ago - http://deepspacespines.com/

Modern stuff I checked out after the relaunch as I got behind and always meant to get back but never did. I did read some of the side series and probably would have read the Discovery and Picard novels had corona not happened to disrupt when and how I read to make it more older pulp stuff I grabbed off the internet instead of books I saw while at the bookstore/library

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

thotsky posted:

A weird inconsistency that goes against the flow of logic established in the story? I guess there might be a better word for it than plot hole. It breaks my suspension of disbelief at least.

It's not though. In fact, they've made perfect Minds without the flaws. It's just that any Mind they make perfect immediately ascends into a higher plane of existence within a few minutes like the super-advanced cultures do.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Danhenge posted:

Didn't he come out of a non-Culture culture?

Zakalwe did, but I meant the referrer who sends Sma after him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

freebooter posted:

Randomly picked up Alastair Reynolds' short story collection Beyond the Aquila Rift at a bookstore the other day and am reminded of how much I like him. The only other collection of his I've read is Galactic North, and I think he's actually better at the shorter form. The titular story, Beyond the Aquila Rift, is just an instant classic of the creepy sci-fi mystery genre.

Head's up, the short stories Beyond the Aquila Rift and Zima Blue both got animated adaptions in the Netflix series Love, Death & Robots (which is a collection of short films based on various sci-fi short stories).

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Ooooohhhh the Rift one was one of my favorites. Man that was creepy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They're supposed to be doing another round and I would really like it if Diamond Dogs (from that same collection) was one of them.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Ccs posted:

I picked up The Unspoken Name because Tor was offering it free as this month's ebook. It's good so far! Books about traveling with wizards are definitely my thing, although I suspect as with a certain other popular fantasy series that this would-be Gandalf is not going to turn out to be all sunshine and rainbows.
The main character is an orc, but this does not play into the narrative at all so far aside from mentioning she has tusks and the wizard does not, and that she's reticent to pronounce certain words because a lot of spit would fly. As with Malazan I find orc characters vaguely hilarious and pointless. It's just a human with a dental issue that makes them look sillier whenever I try to picture them. Maybe later it will come into play, but there's been no suggestion that being an orc conveys any sort of extra strength, and the world appears to be mostly populated by orcs. So it's just a cosmetic gloss on the world for people who like that sort of thing.

good to hear, i chucked it on my kindle because it was free, free+good is a perfect value proposition

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

Actually if there's one consistent message in the Culture, it isn't that utopia is not enough. I think it's specifically that the Culture's attitude of "yeah well I ran the numbers and war/peace/stellar engineering/uplift is the best solution" isn't really good enough to sustain either the humans or the Minds on its own.

Or that Utopia is enough for a long time, for most people, but eventually you either go into storage or radically reinvent yourself.

Even post-scarcity and almost no death gets boring eventually

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Head's up, the short stories Beyond the Aquila Rift and Zima Blue both got animated adaptions in the Netflix series Love, Death & Robots (which is a collection of short films based on various sci-fi short stories).

Love, Death, and Robots is something I couldn't get more than halfway through. And that first half was shockingly misogynistic. There are no healthy female characters. They're all fluff, background, ugly, and victims, victims, victims. It was the kitsune's story that ended it for me. That was just repeated degradation of what could have been a strong, distinctive character, ground into a filthy morass of perversion and body erasure. Or look at the piece about the farmers jumping into battlemechs to fend off an alien swarm. There are women in that story, but you have the housewives who bundle the kids into shelter to ride out the danger passively, and an old, ugly, mean spirited woman who nobody likes. She's the only one allowed to act and... that's a dire message. There's nothing better in anything else.

Maybe it gets better later, but I'm not planning to see for myself.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The order of Love, Death, and Robots is randomized; we don't know which episodes you've seen or not seen when you say you've watched the first half.

Not that I want to have a conversation about Love, Death and Robots, its just an interesting Netflix oddity.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

branedotorg posted:

Or that Utopia is enough for a long time, for most people, but eventually you either go into storage or radically reinvent yourself.

Even post-scarcity and almost no death gets boring eventually

It's a weirdly pessimistic take compared to something like Star Trek: The Next Generation, where improving oneself and the human condition is how humans stay fulfilled in a post-scarcity society. The culture books have this conceit that the minds of the Culture have basically explored pretty much everything already and is teetering on the edge of simply leaving this plane of existence, but eschewing it as some kind of cop-out.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

I saw when googling it, yeah, and had vaguely heard of LDR. Which is exactly the kind of short video anthology series I would have been interested in about five years ago when I was surfing through sharehouses and just had a laptop, but now I'm like, watching longer films on TV in the evening with my partner... but then at the same time I easily spent a cumulative 90 minutes today arguing with dickheads on Twitter? Can I not set aside 15 minutes to watch an adaptation of a short story I really enjoyed? I will, eventually, it's just weird how people's priorities shift.

(Also for the record I read Zima Blue last night, and meh, that was a nothingburger, one of his weakest stories.)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah Love Death Robots is some of the best animation studios in the world adapting some the worst scripts. Even the few good ones like Aquila Rift are more meh than they should be, and the resolution of Zima Blue is disappointing, it's more notable for the excellent Robert Valley style of the animation. Netflix is making another season though, and i'm sure it will be a lot of the same crap labored over by amazing visual artists.

branedotorg posted:

good to hear, i chucked it on my kindle because it was free, free+good is a perfect value proposition

I'm further in it now, it's still really good. The fact that they're Orcs kind of has a bigger impact now? A little? It's still mostly for the aesthetic though. The first 5 chapters have enough plot for an entire book, but the pacing doesn't feel rushed. The author is just telling a very expansive story and has good control over economy of storytelling, so gets through a load of stuff at a quick pace.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

UK Kindle daily deals includes The Fifth Season for 99p.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea #1) by Ursula K Le Guin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008T9L6AM/

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MZN2B2/

Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-earth by JRR Tolkien - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00796E7CA/

The Iron Dragon's Daughter by Michael Swanwick - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E6HYNGE/

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
Maybe I'm misremembering because it's been a while, but didn't some of the protagonists living in the Culture ultimately find the ability to have everything actually unsatisfying?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

crazyvanman posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering because it's been a while, but didn't some of the protagonists living in the Culture ultimately find the ability to have everything actually unsatisfying?

Yes, and the Minds take great care to ensure that positions are found where they can satisfy their desires to be challenged, such as Contact or other voluntary services like Quietus in Surface Detail. Or even finding them a nice empty rock to try and survive on all by their lonesome, if that would make them happy.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 6, 2021

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

team overhead smash posted:

UK Kindle daily deals includes The Fifth Season for 99p.

They're on a roll, one of today's deals is Dead Lies Dreaming by Charles Stross.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Another thing the later books in the Culture series highlight is that it's really weird and kind of off-puttingly stubborn that they haven't ascended to another plane of existence yet.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
Apparently my 18 year old brain, that is 10 years ago, interpreted all of this as raising questions about whether this all meant that luxury communism was actually a good thing or not. Maybe if I read it now I'd come to a different conclusion.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
trust me when i say being bored to death is better than starving or freezing to death.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

some criticism I have heard of the Culture from a left-perspective is that, like Star Trek, it's merely a post-scarcity utopia - liberalism rather than communism, with all the humans as bourgeoisie

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

Minds not being as smart as they think they are is one of my favourite features of the Culture.

Excession in particular where
- a Mind indulges in exactly the same juvenile 'get revenge on Hitler' antics as Zakalwe and gets dunked on about it
- a Minds smugs about how the material universe is beneath them and then smash cut to their mate who is flying a breathless tour of cool stars because it's fascinated by them
- all the Minds start a civil war in their exclusive Mayfair dinner club over a higher dimensional entity, which decides they are bickering children not worth its attention and leaves

The Minds are godlike but they absolutely believe their own hype and they're great fun to read about.

Hell, Special Circumstances specifically exists for situations where the morality calculator spits out a divide by zero.

Best bit of Excession is Anticipation of a New Lover's Arrival, The having a complete mental breakdown at the realisation that maybe the only reason Minds have been friendly freedom loving hippies isn't because they're moral, but because they haven't yet needed to not be that.

crazyvanman posted:

The Hydrogen Sonata has a big subplot about Life Goals and the main character is stubbornly attempting to learn to play the Hydrogen Sonata just because it's a challenge, and if you decide something has meaning, then it has meaning. It doesn't need to be particularly important or significant for it be something worth caring about. And the Sonata is neither of those things, and is actually a godawful travesty.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
All this just reminded me of an email I got from a machine-learning newsletter thing where she asked an AI routine to generate Culture ship names. My favourite was 'Absently Tilting to One Side' but there were a few really good ones.

Aha found the link. https://aiweirdness.com/post/185883998702/ais-named-by-ais

Other highlights:
Not Disquieting At All
Friendly Head Crusher
Protip: Don't Ask

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City (Siege #1) by KJ Parker - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078W5M7DB/

Jade City (Green Bone Saga #1) by Fonda Lee - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRCBRX8/

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Lt. Danger posted:

some criticism I have heard of the Culture from a left-perspective is that, like Star Trek, it's merely a post-scarcity utopia - liberalism rather than communism, with all the humans as bourgeoisie

It is both hilarious and deeply sad that someone can be so wrapped up in their politics that "post-scarcity utopia where all of humanity's material and emotional needs are met, leaving everyone to pursue their best lives" is seen as insufficient.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There is something a little disquieting about humanity basically being the indulged pets of godlike AIs. Like sure, they can do basically anything they want, but they're not fundamentally in control of their society or the high level decisions it makes as a civilisation and you don't have to really read too far into the setting to conclude any real large-scale democratic exercises are simulated, gamed out and subsequently shaped by elite Mind groups. It's an open question whether that is a good thing or not and whether quantifiably fewer atrocities is worth entering a civilisational playpen, but it's something worth considering

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think you can view it as triumphant in that we presumably made the Minds, and they both capture and retain human values rather than turning into unknowable and uncaring elder gods.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

multijoe posted:

There is something a little disquieting about humanity basically being the indulged pets of godlike AIs. Like sure, they can do basically anything they want, but they're not fundamentally in control of their society or the high level decisions it makes as a civilisation and you don't have to really read too far into the setting to conclude any real large-scale democratic exercises are simulated, gamed out and subsequently shaped by elite Mind groups. It's an open question whether that is a good thing or not and whether quantifiably fewer atrocities is worth entering a civilisational playpen, but it's something worth considering

it's an ideal form of government for most people. Everything just happens, and happens in a way that's quantifiably good for you. Sometimes you get to participate in a Culture-wide vote. And if you wanted to live under a different system, I'm sure you and your friends could find an Orbital willing to give you a whole Plate if there wasn't already a Tendency or splinter faction doing exactly that.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Stayed up until 2am finishing City of Miracles , the last book in Robert J Bennett's Divine Cities trilogy. Got them as a Christmas gift from a friend and I super enjoyed them! I feel like these books could have easily gotten too bogged down in world building and lore but it did a real good job of not throwing too much at the reader while still making the world feel pretty fleshed out. Would recommend!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

multijoe posted:

There is something a little disquieting about humanity basically being the indulged pets of godlike AIs. Like sure, they can do basically anything they want, but they're not fundamentally in control of their society or the high level decisions it makes as a civilisation and you don't have to really read too far into the setting to conclude any real large-scale democratic exercises are simulated, gamed out and subsequently shaped by elite Mind groups. It's an open question whether that is a good thing or not and whether quantifiably fewer atrocities is worth entering a civilizational playpen, but it's something worth considering

As someone said earlier, it's very possible that the Minds keep around 30 trillion humans for the 30-40 total people who can predict events with near 100% accuracy. For the rest of us the little technological gods will learn faster than you ever will, even if you get glands in your body that can bring you up to AI functionality for thinking. The Minds are just way above what you'll ever be. Humans are not really even good as soldiers because the human as an as a soldier or warrior, the body itself, is extremely antiquated due to physical limitations.

Honestly I think that one of the major risks in a FALC style post-scarcity society is the lack of stakes which robs people of identity through labor, Minds or not. If you exist now then capitalism requires more and more physical and mental and emotional energy from you, but many people find identity in what they do. Not everyone, but many.

To suddenly be freed to think and then not having anything to do in terms of labor for a lot of people is to basically be deprived of meaning. Meaning and identity are frequently (but not always) found in labor, even if their relationship with that meaning isn't a healthy one. Some people find identity meaning in religion and that meaning is laid out before them. Or gently caress, maybe you find meaning in shallow consumerism. But for many people, believing that life has no inherent meaning is terrifying and one of the only ways to deal with that is to assign something meaning and strive for that thing no matter how arbitrary that thing is.

One of the theorized pitfalls of FALC is losing a source of meaning as our relationship with our labor as a means of survival is basically deprived from us. If machines are what keep the lights on and grow your food and treat your water and make medicine and are your doctors and pilots and whatnot, a lot of meaning in peoples' lives first becomes lost and then can't even be meaningfully achieved. You can take up a hobby and earn a dozen PHD's because you're bored or become a master woodworker or solo explore space or even choose a life where you technologically regress on purpose and be the Culture version of the Amish. These are all basically hobbies or lifestyle choices though.

To me this was illustrated in the show "The Good Place" at the end (season 4 spoilers ahead) where the cast literally goes to heaven and they do basically do everything and anything. They're full post-scarcity, death is optional and also everyone you ever loved gets to go to heaven at some point. Then Tahani, one of the characters, who was a British socialite, masters woodworking and then she well...Has nothing left to do. She becomes a mix of fulfilled and bored and part of making heaven palatable for people was to allow them to die or pass on or whatever. And she contemplates dying until she takes on a job meant for non-human angels or demons or whatever in designing her own version of heaven for others to live in. A job which for her should literally be impossible, but hey, she's got eternity to do it. And that's why she doesn't die when the rest of the cast does, the only survivor of the "human" cast. She found meaning even if that meaning was considered impossible for her.

tl;dr The social implications of FALC actually kind of terrify me because we'd be deprived of some of the normal avenues of creating meaning and identity for ourselves.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Read 17776, which is both the best example of that argument for and response to that viewpoint that I’ve seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You can create and work without being exploited for your labor. Tahani did not become an architect for the pay, and her decision was not somehow more fulfilling than Jason’s decision to meditate for a thousand years or Chidi and Eleanor‘a decisions to die.