Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I like the keychain, did that come with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I mean it's one keychain, how much could it cost? A hundred dollars?

I used the keychain in the 65 C10 I sold last year. I need another classic to make use of it again.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

angryrobots posted:

Feast your eyes upon the damage wrought by 9 harsh South Carolina winters, lo there is some light surface corrosion

Mods????

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Indeed. That is truly disrespectful showing off.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I would have assumed that amount of rust was from buying it in the spring and then working on it in the fall :eyepop:

angryrobots posted:

I did have one rotor hold down screw just immediately strip, but the cobalt bits I got for xmas 2019 made quick work of it, and I just screwed it out the back of the hub.

Get the set of 2 milwaukee demo drivers at home depot, you just put it in, give it a whack with a hammer on the back and unscrew them calmly before they even strip. It's nuts.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I actually had to use my impact driver the other day, I found a couple rusty screws. I forgot how to set it to loosen! :v:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Fuckin lol

In a similar vein, I have had that unstuck some bolts that wouldn't back out, but I know it's not good to overtorque fasteners.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

I would have assumed that amount of rust was from buying it in the spring and then working on it in the fall :eyepop:

Get the set of 2 milwaukee demo drivers at home depot, you just put it in, give it a whack with a hammer on the back and unscrew them calmly before they even strip. It's nuts.

Yeah, those screws I don't even try to use anything but a hammer-type impact driver, unless I've already been in there and applied anti-seize.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Picked it up from storage. 1965 Mercury Comet, 42,000 original miles, garage kept since at least 1980. Absolutely zero rust and still has the original paint except the one door. 200ci/3.3L I6 with a C4 automatic transmission.

I need to replace the cylinder head because the exhaust ports on cylinders 5 and 6 are eroded away due to a leaky exhaust gasket. I already sourced one, now need a bigger carb barrel to fit because it's from a later year. I might go with an Offy tri-power, they look amazing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

1ZZ-FE intake manifold gasket on a Matrix/Corolla: serious easy mode. And if I ever have to replace the starter, I'm pulling the intake. So much easier to get to it.

The intake manifold gasket was visibly cracked and came out in chunks. The throttle body gasket was still in good shape, so I reused it. Took an hour, and only because I was taking my time (I removed the TB and left it attached to the coolant lines). All of the hoses under the hood seem to be in good condition. I need to find out if the radiator is original or was replaced in the accident it was in (it was in the middle of a 3 car pileup about... 12? years ago - she stopped in time, car behind her didn't, SQUISH). If it's original, I'm probably going to go ahead and order a radiator now just to keep on hand - it'd be pushing nearly 18 years old going by build date.

There was a good bit of oil in the intake manifold and PCV hose, which is concerning - the car just broke 96k, and normally sees <10 miles a day. I suspect either the rings are sticking a bit (I've seen some blue smoke when pulling away from a stop a few times), or the PCV valve may be stuck. Oddly, Advance doesn't have the PCV valve locally (they carry one that claims to fit, but it's all 1 star reviews saying it doesn't fit), so I'll grab one from Amazon. Hopefully that's all it is; if not, I guess I'll fill the cylinders with MMO or ATF and let it sit a few days. This thing shouldn't have any blowby at this point - sure it's old, but only 96k, and it's seen regular oil changes its entire life. It gets driven regularly, just never very far.

Fired it up afterwards while watching live data (engine was only down to ~55F from running it earlier in the day and seeing an 18:1 AFR :stare:, but it usually went full lean once it hit about 90F, stayed lean as hell with a nasty miss until about 130-140F), let it run until the thermostat opened - AFR dead nuts where it should be, fuel trims actually showing negative numbers (roughly -3%) instead of pegging at +25% once going into closed loop (the battery was disconnected a few hours, so the ECU was re-learning from base maps). Idle still isn't perfect (but much better), but I suspect that may be the PCV. Also seems to be leaking some oil from the VVT-i solenoid - enough to make the engine gross, but not dripping. Might do the MMO or ATF today actually, I'm not taking a non-ABS car out with this weather. 100+ loving car pileup in DFW, 26 car pileup just a few minutes from me. It has pretty new tires, vs the Subaru's barely legal hockey pucks, but on slick roads I will happily take an automatic + AWD + ABS vs manual and non-ABS. Subaru also has heated seats. :cool:

I always forget how much smaller this thing is vs the Brokeback (this is with the bumper a few inches from the overhead door). And I need to get something to put under Brokeback - previous user of this garage definitely stained the floor good, but Brokeback is also trying to mark his territory, as you can see.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 11, 2021

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

On the 9-3, I received the new blower and blower resistor and got them installed.
Sorry, no pictures, it was frickin' cold in the garage and I was contorted around getting all of the screws in place.
It looks like it did before except now the fan works.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I was changing my brake fluid but the tube from my hacked bottle was too big and it spilled on the floor a bit and that sucked. I'm convinced to get a real brake fluid change bottle now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

net work error posted:

I was changing my brake fluid but the tube from my hacked bottle was too big and it spilled on the floor a bit and that sucked. I'm convinced to get a real brake fluid change bottle now.

This is me every time I bleed brakes and I probably have said the same thing every time without any action. :v:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Put a big clamp on the base of the bottle to weigh and stabilize it.

Ive never done that but I have sure thought about it.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

Put a big clamp on the base of the bottle to weigh and stabilize it.

Ive never done that but I have sure thought about it.

just put a little bit of fluid into the bottom of the bottle. put your hose below the fluid level. then you can bleed brakes without extra hands.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
I too have messed up while bleeding brakes. Make sure all your bleeders are closed people!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

When brake bleeding comes up it still always amazes me how many people have not come over to pressure bleeding. I'm not able to get the same pedal feel any other way. And with some hydraulic clutches......lol good luck without pressure bleeding.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

EvilBeard posted:

just put a little bit of fluid into the bottom of the bottle. put your hose below the fluid level. then you can bleed brakes without extra hands.

LOL sure. I must be buying the world's cheapest clear hose that never relaxes and always tries to go back to a tight coil. I've tipped over half full bottles.

Yeah I'm a bit of a klutz.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I gave up and just gravity bleed directly onto the floor now and then clean it up after.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

LOL sure. I must be buying the world's cheapest clear hose that never relaxes and always tries to go back to a tight coil. I've tipped over half full bottles.

Yeah I'm a bit of a klutz.

I just use a pop/water bottle and drill the hole a little tight. I squeeze the tube through it. it'll hang from the bleeder.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speed bleeders. I've done vacuum, I've done pressure, speed bleeders are the best one-person method I've used.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Speed bleeders. I've done vacuum, I've done pressure, speed bleeders are the best one-person method I've used.

Those look great, thanks for the tip

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

IOwnCalculus posted:

These never worked out for me. Always seemed to let in a little air through the threads that makes it hard to judge when the real air was out. Pressure was best for me, I could operate the bleeder without getting up or pumping the pedal.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The ones I bought have some form of thread compound on them from the factory. To be fair I haven't yet had to re-bleed anything I've put them on.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

I gave up and just gravity bleed directly onto the floor now and then clean it up after.

I park over the nearest storm drain, make sure that it's marked as one that drains directly to a stream, and go to town. May as well do an oil, ATF, and coolant change while I'm at it.

don't do this. if you really think I'm doing this, no.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

STR posted:

I park over the nearest storm drain, make sure that it's marked as one that drains directly to a stream, and go to town. May as well do an oil, ATF, and coolant change while I'm at it.

don't do this. if you really think I'm doing this, no.

Don't forget power steering too.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I usually do that after I crack open all the AC lines.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

A little bit of the brake fluid got on one of my tires. I washed it off but should I be concerned?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is the way.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

net work error posted:

A little bit of the brake fluid got on one of my tires. I washed it off but should I be concerned?

Do a burnout. Problem solved.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Can confirm.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

net work error posted:

Brake fluid is water soluble, worst case hose it off but I don't imagine it doing any long term damage to a tire. It will however do damage to paint if left for a while but again you can just spray it off.

Doing stuff chat: fixed the negative battery cable on the Fiat, still have battery light on so need to track down that issue :italy: Letting it warm up a bit more then giving it a wash, first driveway wash of the year.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

kastein posted:

Yep, doing this right now in fact. Pressure bleeding works great too but I don't have the right cap for the truck I'm working on. Gotta try speed bleeders someday, only have heard good things.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

New wheels/tires on the ranger today.
I went with the Yokohama geolander at’s thanks to the tire thread.

The old ones are in the back. A guy I know wants them. I’m gonna put the center caps on Craigslist or something I figure someone might want them.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 24, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Not today, but yesterday. Was at where my S10 is at and fired it up for the first time in over 2 months (if not more, don't remember). Fired up instantly with no coughs or splutters and idled just fine. I was kinda worried about letting it sit for so long.

I'm really itching to get the bed off and wirewheel all the surface rust, scaling and dirt off the frame and rust treat it. I really shouldn't because it's a cheap rear end truck... but I kinda really like it...

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Installed the hardware for the Ford Performance tune today. Still need to load the tune itself.

It's essentially a GT350 throttle body and intake, with an adapter for the throttle body.

Before:

Yank out the "sound tube" which pipes intake noise into the cabin. The bolt holding this to the firewall is impossible to get to, but there's only a thin plastic ear holding it down, so you can yank and twist and it pops right off. It's never going back in so I don't care about snapping that tab off. Kit comes with a rubber plug for the firewall.

Stock throttle body and intake removed:

Both throttle bodies side by side:

Adapter:

Throttle body installed:

All done:

The weather turned lovely again so it'll probably be another week until I can load the tune and try it out.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
nothing big, just swapped the wheels for smaller ones so have a bit more sidewall for these lovely Michigan roads and swapped the tires for all seasons, as summer performance is just dumb up here cept 3 months a year

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
What kind of gains do you expect from the GT350 throttlebody + intake?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

What kind of gains do you expect from the GT350 throttlebody + intake?

The parts alone I'm dubious would do much anything. By all accounts the stock 2018+ intake is really good. But Ford only sells the tune with them.

The tune is advertised as +19hp peak, but more importantly +42ft/lb at 2000rpm, and most who have it agree you really notice the added torque down low.

It also smooths out power delivery, and gets rid of rev hang, (which drives me completely nuts) so I'm really looking forward to that too.

Here's their lol-worthy scale-less dyno:

There's not much more headroom on the gen 3 Coyote without going to E85, even aftermarket tuners can't get any more out of it unless you go catless.

opengl fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

opengl128 posted:

The parts alone I'm dubious would do much anything. By all accounts the stock 2018+ intake is really good. But Ford only sells the tune with them.

The tune is advertised as +19hp peak, but more importantly +42ft/lb at 2000rpm, and most who have it agree you really notice the added torque down low.

It also smooths out power delivery, and gets rid of rev hang, (which drives me completely nuts) so I'm really looking forward to that too.

Here's their lol-worthy scale-less dyno:

There's not much more headroom on the gen 3 Coyote without going to E85, even aftermarket tuners can't get any more out of it unless you go catless.

Nice. The tune sounds worth it for sure. Is this a gen1 or gen2 coyote?