Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Question for Modesty Blaise readers - there are two stories left after the one I just started. One is the last proper serial/newspaper comic, while the other is an adaptation Romero did of a Blaise book for an international publication. Which do you want to read last? The true conclusion or the final produced work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The true conclusion please. Do you have any thread plans afterwards? New comic, or just doing the time warp and starting Modesty Blaise again from the beginning?

catlord posted:

If 9CL does come back, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to slap it under spoiler tags. I'm curious, but poo poo, man, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to see that poo poo.

I really do prefer timg tags rather than spoiler tags for offensive material. Most of the stuff that gets spoilered these days you can't see the offensive material in timg form. Spoilers also make it annoying for me to read Axa in my preferred manner, reading exactly one strip at a time broken up by random errands to simulate the feeling of reading it day by day in an actual newspaper.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Definitely the true conclusion last.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hostile V posted:

I would like to see Axa rebooted and written by a queer woman so she could just constantly and consistently pick the robot to the consternation and confusion of the man barbarians of the savage world outside of the domes. Just, "well I wanna be free and let my tits hang out and maybe know a lover's touch but like one thing at a time, yeah hey I'm topless nude even but like shut the gently caress up I'm gonna date this robot".

"That robot is not even a man! It is a thing!"
"You got the first part right, Mark's pronouns are they/them."
"How can a woman be so foolish and yet so nubile?"
"I am kicking you now."

Now here's the question, who should do the reboot? I keep on thinking "Olive Rae Brinker's Axa" and while I think that'd be hilarious, I'm not sure if the world is ready.

Some Guy TT posted:

I really do prefer timg tags rather than spoiler tags for offensive material. Most of the stuff that gets spoilered these days you can't see the offensive material in timg form. Spoilers also make it annoying for me to read Axa in my preferred manner, reading exactly one strip at a time broken up by random errands to simulate the feeling of reading it day by day in an actual newspaper.

Hm, that's a point. Sometimes I wonder if I go overboard with the spoilers, since I drop them if I see a single nipple. I tend to do timg for dialogue and spoilers for art content, but since Axa's niche, trashy sci-fi I put it in timg to make it easier for others to scroll past and then spoilers go on top of that.

Anyways, I'd say true conclusion for Modesty Blaise last as well.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

catlord posted:

Now here's the question, who should do the reboot? I keep on thinking "Olive Rae Brinker's Axa" and while I think that'd be hilarious, I'm not sure if the world is ready.
Noelle Stevenson for the proper "used to do webcomics and has pivoted into some form of mainstream media" trend of these days, though legit she's off doing bigger and better things than newspaper comics (RIP the Nimona movie). That or Emily Carroll.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (March 23, 1918)

Tee Hee of Everett True (April 29, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (December 15, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (April 10, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (September 10, 1935)

Dark Laughter (March 19, 1942)

Mopsy Sunday (November 16, 1947)

Those Were the Days (December 13, 1951)

Dinky Fellas (June 1, 1965)

Wee Pals (June 1, 1965)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (August 11, 1933)

Peanuts (March 7, 1974)

Tom Batiuk Les Moore Makes A Half-Assed Attempt To Connect With The Times That He's Ignored For The Past Twelve Months

Crankshaft

"Classic" Mutt And Jeff assumes a logical spot in the lineup. Think of it as a plastic spacer in your car dashboard. You know, to cover the hole where your stolen stereo used to live.

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 4, 1937)

Out Our Way (March 19-21, 1936)

Toonerville Folks, in which Mr. Fox takes a different angle on wartime jingoism than Everett True did. (April 16-18, 1937)

Dok's "Pick Up Your Money, Pack Up Your Tent" Duck (June 25, 1913)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLQRKnZ2cK8&t=44s

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EasyEW posted:

Tom Batiuk Les Moore Makes A Half-Assed Attempt To Connect With The Times That He's Ignored For The Past Twelve Months

andthentheyfucked.png

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm surprised it was actually Tara's cousin and wasn't either Luann's mom/Tiff getting something they forgot from the restaurant, or Ann Eiffel stealing food because she's homeless now.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

I'm surprised it was actually Tara's cousin and wasn't either Luann's mom/Tiff getting something they forgot from the restaurant, or Ann Eiffel stealing food because she's homeless now.

I'm surprised that it didn't turn out to be a con Tara was in on. Those weird battle poses she was doing made it look like bad acting, but I guess it was just bad art.

(I guess it's possible that it's still part of the con and Tara is acting out this scene with her cousin for Bernice and Luann to see, but it's seeming less likely.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

CommonShore posted:

andthentheyfucked.png

"Remember, I get to call you Lisa. And you have to wear the wig...okay, now put on the bald cap."

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm surprised that it didn't turn out to be a con Tara was in on. Those weird battle poses she was doing made it look like bad acting, but I guess it was just bad art.

(I guess it's possible that it's still part of the con and Tara is acting out this scene with her cousin for Bernice and Luann to see, but it's seeming less likely.)

I would bet actual money that would make more sense than whatever is coming next.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/4/01

Brenda Starr 1/6/46

Smokey Stover 10/8/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Yes, hardcore Washington Football Team fans do attend games wearing flower-print dresses, straw hats, and rubber pig noses.

Karen Hughes was one of W Bush's close advisers.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hostile V posted:

I would like to see Axa rebooted and written by a queer woman so she could just constantly and consistently pick the robot to the consternation and confusion of the man barbarians of the savage world outside of the domes. Just, "well I wanna be free and let my tits hang out and maybe know a lover's touch but like one thing at a time, yeah hey I'm topless nude even but like shut the gently caress up I'm gonna date this robot".
I think that's just Barbarella

Some Guy TT posted:

Most of the stuff that gets spoilered these days you can't see the offensive material in timg form.
Not even when it's unspoilered and blown up to max resolution, to be perfectly honest.

Yes, the moment you recognize someone is the moment they sit in their car in the darkness and shine the headlights at you. Well done.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I can't believe Gunther's stepdad is Tara's cousin.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

... obviously I'm just being glib about it, I mean like, I can see perfectly well where the offensive material is and I can point to it and say "sheesh, pretty racist", but I'm never bothered by it to the point where I don't even want to see it, ever.

Served me well over the years, but naturally I don't mean to tell anyone to "just don't be offended", y'all do your thing. :)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

catlord posted:

This is a lot of agonising about whether to keep the lovely guy or the kick-rear end robot.

The robot, Axa, choose the robot.
Has Axa met a man who wasn't a jealous, possessive arsehole?

Actually, has she met anyone nice at all?

Transmodiar posted:

Question for Modesty Blaise readers - there are two stories left after the one I just started. One is the last proper serial/newspaper comic, while the other is an adaptation Romero did of a Blaise book for an international publication. Which do you want to read last? The true conclusion or the final produced work?
Not picky. I'll read them in whichever order they appear.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Tiggum posted:

Mark Ten, but he can honestly do better with how Axa's been treating him. :colbert:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Tiggum posted:

The scientist who made Mark seemed mostly decent, if a little too trusting. The cavemen seemed pretty ok as well, if perhaps a little suspicious and simultaneously also far too trusting. Uh... the boatman that Axa and Jason rescued? I don't remember him doing anything particularly lovely. A few other minor characters here and there. The wasteland sucks and it's like Fallout: New Vegas taught us, always choose the robot.

Are we gonna get a dramatic Luann story where Tara gets run down by her cousin? It feels appropriately soap opera.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not that it wouldn't be painful, but running someone down at a distance of 2-3 inches would be about the level of action I'd expect from Luann, yeah.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

catlord posted:

The scientist who made Mark seemed mostly decent, if a little too trusting. The cavemen seemed pretty ok as well, if perhaps a little suspicious and simultaneously also far too trusting. Uh... the boatman that Axa and Jason rescued? I don't remember him doing anything particularly lovely. A few other minor characters here and there. The wasteland sucks and it's like Fallout: New Vegas taught us, always choose the robot.

I remember thinking it was strange that boat dude just died unceremoniously when their boat ran into those mermen and he jumped into the ocean to try and save Axa. I don't know if he would've turned out to be an rear end in a top hat, but he probably would've been an okay companion rather than Jason.

Axa just has the incredibly unfortunate habit of shacking up with assholes.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Maybe it's just me but it's pretty rare for me to address my cousins as "cousin," I just call them by their names if I'm talking to them. It just feels really awkward and sounds dumb when you have to have a character say something unnatural like that.

Or maybe Stella just played a lot of GTA IV.

Taking advice on how to be confident from the most confident guy in the office? What an idiot!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (December 20-24, 1999)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft_Corp.

quote:

Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson issued his findings of fact on November 5, 1999, which stated that Microsoft's dominance of the x86-based personal computer operating systems market constituted a monopoly, and that Microsoft had taken actions to crush threats to that monopoly, including Apple, Java, Netscape, Lotus Software, RealNetworks, Linux, and others.

(This means that at this point, Holbrook had at most a 40-day buffer on Kevin & Kell.)

Also, Men in Black (the movie) came out in 1997 and was a smash hit.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Taking advice on how to be confident from the most confident guy in the office? What an idiot!

On the note of IL here, the first panel of the second comic, disregarding the rest of the strip, is I think the first time in awhile Skip initiated wanting to do something with nerd friend? Lately it seems most of their interactions is Skip telling him to shut up or hang around less.

IL seems like a lot of nerd media in that it simultaneously has contempt for people both less nerdy and more nerdy than the author insert.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Maybe it's just me but it's pretty rare for me to address my cousins as "cousin," I just call them by their names if I'm talking to them. It just feels really awkward and sounds dumb when you have to have a character say something unnatural like that.

Or maybe Stella just played a lot of GTA IV.

You gotta let the reader know who these random folk are somehow and why not do it with fists of ham?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (December 13, 1951)

This strip is so remarkably hateful. (also Cream of Tartar isn't dairy, but I guess that's part of the 'joke')

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Art Beeman is definitely like, Chuck Asay's uncle or something.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin Goes Wild West

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set gets cultured.

Working Daze takes a skip day.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix reminds me of this thread.

Cul De Sac is the next big creepypasta.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946 looks familiar

I feel like the one from 1978 was a bit more streamlined, writing-wise

manero fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 5, 2021

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Small thing I enjoy about Family Circus: The parents are rarely amused with their kids' antics. All these "kids say the darnedest things!" kinda "whimsical" moments, and the parents simply observe them with dead-eyed passivity. No grin, no enjoyment. Just resignation.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

This actually bothers me. Their organist died (or something) just a day ago and they had exactly one strip of them being concerned for her - and it wasn't even concern, it was "she put wine on her cornflakes" - and now they're trying to replace her. Where's your concern? Don't you have ANY compassion for someone you worked with on a regular basis?!

e: For background my dad is a church organist and choir director and if he went down he'd get flowers and concerned phonecalls and such, and prayer in the church. Same with any regular church-goer who had a health problem! Churches in my experience tend to be aggressively caring towards their flock, ESPECIALLY organists!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also, pay your musicians you cheap-rear end church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yes but did the organist have Movie Cancer?