Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

half cocaine posted:

You should check out all the leftists in the candebt thread WELL AKSHULLYing that Harper did one good thing in giving us the progressive gift of the TFSA.

lmao. what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

discontinuing pennies was good tho

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

avocado toast and not leveraging enough tax advantages from you TFSA is why you’re poor

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

the TFSA is unambiguously better than the RRSP for investing for lower-income Canadians, it's not like anyone was singing Harper's praises or saying that it's the One Neat Trick to defeating the immiserating forces of capitalism

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Square Peg posted:

the TFSA is unambiguously better than the RRSP for investing for lower-income Canadians, it's not like anyone was singing Harper's praises or saying that it's the One Neat Trick to defeating the immiserating forces of capitalism

How many low income Canadians do you know who have the financial literacy to pick and choose the right stocks to buy, much less the right mutual funds that won't rob them blind in management fees?

How many low income Canadians do you know of who can spare the extra funds to invest in stocks, bonds, or mutual funds?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Wait what's a TFSA I wrote it off as some rich people acronym I dont need to know

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tax-free savings account

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
dont buy stocks, don't buy mutual funds. do buy ETFs and dont touch them until you retire.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

half cocaine posted:

How many low income Canadians do you know who have the financial literacy to pick and choose the right stocks to buy, much less the right mutual funds that won't rob them blind in management fees?

How many low income Canadians do you know of who can spare the extra funds to invest in stocks, bonds, or mutual funds?

very few, the state of financial service regulation and financial education in this country are both appalling and many times worse than even the US

very few, advantageous investing is not the One Neat Trick to defeating the immiserating forces of capitalism

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Here's a very good and friendly thread if people want to know more
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569987

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
i almost bought a stonk once. but after about twenty minutes trying to get the dumb apps to work right it stopped being funny and I gave up.

imagine having savings in this economy lol

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

apatheticman posted:

https://twitter.com/globeandmail/status/1367491535030394884?s=20

Why arent we making money!? We're losing millennials and younger due to FACEBOOK. That's it, no other reason.

The drill ISIS tweet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

The drill ISIS tweet

more like

https://twitter.com/dril/status/660644922744262656

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Square Peg posted:

Here's a very good and friendly thread if people want to know more
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569987

:toot: I'm close to being debt free for the first time since I was 16, and I'm pretty loving dumb when it gets more complicated than "get paid, throw money at debt", so this should be a good read

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

if you read from the beginning, take special note about investing in Hootsuite and Lululemon

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Square Peg posted:

very few, the state of financial service regulation and financial education in this country are both appalling and many times worse than even the US

very few, advantageous investing is not the One Neat Trick to defeating the immiserating forces of capitalism

Well comrade, I'm glad you agree with me that the TFSA is regressive bullshit and Stephen Harper is a waste of skin.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Danaru posted:

Wait what's a TFSA I wrote it off as some rich people acronym I dont need to know

Income invested is taxed normally but gains and withdrawals aren't. Kind of like the inverse of a RRSP.

If you have money to invest there's no reason not to do it with a TFSA, you save taxes you'd otherwise owe on gains. But the net gain from it is peanuts if you can't afford to max it out every year. If you've got $1000 a year to save, and you put it in an index fund making 5% YOY, after the first year a TFSA would save you about ten dollars.

It's just another tax complications that primarily benefits rich people.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

So Alberta has banned high intensity activities at the gym, unless you are in close contact with a trainer, in which case you are allowed to huff and puff and spread covid all you want, under close supervision of a trainer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sure, whatever. trainers only have one client anyway, right?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's a very special covid trainer, you gotta train ur lil bug not to infect

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Every gym is a Planet Fitness now

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

there is nothing about this man I do not intensely dislike

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
possibly the weakest modern NDP leader just out of sheer inability to do anything useful other than take a beating and declare it a pyrrhic victory

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems
i saw him standing in the food court at the angrignon mall a couple years ago. locked eyes with him and he looked away first. does not have the alpha mindset to run a party.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
hi uh yeah i'm ndp leader thomas "childcare pharmacare" mulcair and im here today to talk about how much i love, hmmm, let's see here, ah yes, margaret thatcher

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'll never forget that.

what an absolute dipshit.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
wow a total lack of appreciation for how good a parliamentarian and question period battler he was

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

if he had won and passed MMR electoral reform, he would have been the best PM of my life

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

vyelkin posted:

hi uh yeah i'm ndp leader thomas "childcare pharmacare" mulcair and im here today to talk about how much i love, hmmm, let's see here, ah yes, margaret thatcher

do you think he'd have used a "hmm look at all these states' rights" defense when he walked back his pharmacare promise

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Reality Protester posted:

if he had won and passed MMR electoral reform, he would have been the best PM of my life

Mulcair was such an idiot egotist he'd instantly go back on ever doing that becasue the NDP were "here to stay" with him in charge.

He would then Ignatieff himself in the very next election.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Hand Knit posted:

wow a total lack of appreciation for how good a parliamentarian and question period battler he was

I appreciated all that! He just sucked in other more important ways, like policy and campaigning.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

So Alberta has banned high intensity activities at the gym, unless you are in close contact with a trainer, in which case you are allowed to huff and puff and spread covid all you want, under close supervision of a trainer

the thing im most looking forward to when the pandemic ends is governments trying to constantly make rules that dont make any sense and people constantly trying to rules-lawyer their way around them.

ah yes if the governments says i can only have 2 people in my house at a time i will have 40 people over, 2 at a time in 20 minute increments, this is safe and i am veyr smart

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
just went to get a bottle of water on my coffee break and had some anti-mask lunatic screaming in the streets about how unfair unions were to Gordon Campbell.

who stans Gordon Campbell in 2021?? (or ever really, but especially now)

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:keke:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 16:59 on Jun 28, 2021

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:keke:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 16:59 on Jun 28, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
1.7 million dipshits called the vaccine signup hotline in BC this morning despite there only being 80,000 people eligible to sign up today (colonials 90+ or first nations aged 65+)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

What a crock of poo poo fake loving country. Goddamn

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Kazinsal posted:

1.7 million dipshits called the vaccine signup hotline in BC this morning despite there only being 80,000 people eligible to sign up today (colonials 90+ or first nations aged 65+)

Two weeks ago on the news, BC Health was calling 80+ to schedule and the sign up was for 70-79 year olds. Whether the plan changed, Global's reporting leaves something to be desired or I misheard the report 4 separate times in the morning is a question left to the ages. (It was clearly only for 90+ this morning though.)

Pretty sure there are not 1.7 million 70+ residents of BC though, so there is no doubt that this is a dumb province.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
luv to save all my spare money in a TFSA that I can then use for five years in old age before i die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

BGrifter posted:

just went to get a bottle of water on my coffee break and had some anti-mask lunatic screaming in the streets about how unfair unions were to Gordon Campbell.

who stans Gordon Campbell in 2021?? (or ever really, but especially now)

Lol that rules

Just imagining the thought process (or lack?) behind such an outburst

"I've been bottling this up for over a decade, but it's time to let total strangers know, this aggression against Gordo, will not stand man"

Like he was so fair towards unions