Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vince MechMahon posted:

If you totally ignore it and never mention it again is there really any difference between the two beyond semantics? Both companies use selective continuity, that being "whatever the current editorial team determines to be in continuity on that day," it's just that Marvel is a bit more honest about that.

Yeah, because hypothetically a future writer can incorporate it into what they do, see Al Ewing referencing back to NEXTWave in his Mighty Avengers run. Which had been completely ignored aside from some writers carrying over Machine Man's personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hey, the Captain was in two issues of Sam Alexander Nova!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Hey, the Captain was in two issues of Sam Alexander Nova!

That was after Mighty Avengers though, wasn't it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Boom Boom was essentially the same in the handful of X-Men appearances she made. And hasn't Elsa Bloodstone been in a bunch of crap?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Boom Boom was essentially the same in the handful of X-Men appearances she made. And hasn't Elsa Bloodstone been in a bunch of crap?

Again, this is all stuff after Mighty Avengers, and having gone back and read Boom Boom's earlier appearances, she's probably the character Warren Ellis changed the least.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Again, this is all stuff after Mighty Avengers, and having gone back and read Boom Boom's earlier appearances, she's probably the character Warren Ellis changed the least.

She was given a complete overhaul in X-force prior to AoA and stayed that way for a long time. The vapid airhead thing was not how she was generally written.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Elsa has consistently been the same since Nextwave.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also Nextwave ruled.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Elsa is currently shacking up with Deadpool

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Yeah I don't know what kind of bullshit Spectre was on but if this turns into a "Jon Kent is going to be a bad guy" thing I'm super done with it before it even starts.

I'd say the fact that Diana was on his side, and the story itself was basically Jon being the Supermanniest Superman to ever Superman, might mean there's some prophecy bullshit where he's 'destined to rule Apokalips' or some crap, but it turns out to be ironic. But I definitely got the sense from the whole 'he doesn't belong' dialogue that they're heading to at least ship him off to boarding school Earth-387 or something.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Karma Tornado posted:

it's still pretty funny that Marvel invented a wizard based south Pacific conflict to replace every war America didn't win after 1945 so dialogue about like Ben Grimm being a war veteran in a Roy Thomas issue of FF from the seventies doesn't make the Thing sound too old, though

in 40 years magneto vol 10 #1 is going to explain the origin of the rwandan mutant who can control metal

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Quotey posted:

in 40 years magneto vol 10 #1 is going to explain the origin of the rwandan mutant who can control metal

Magneto got turned into a baby and also magnets make you Immortal, he can be tied to the holocaust forever.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Got a good hearty lol at Roy tossing the trucker cap. Somewhere out there, D_T is losing it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm a little confused about Nubia. I had thought from the Future State issues that she was one of the special lineage Amazons 'cuz she had an actual aunt just living out there in Man's World, but here it seems like she's just another Themysciran? Did I miss an arc about her somehow?

The Alan Scott story was nice. I'm glad Tynion isn't shying away from the fact that Obsidian is also gay and that this father and son are both gay and that's just how it is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The aunt isn't her literal aunt. She's Anansi.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh. Werk?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm glad they stuck the landing on Alan Scott being gay.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Infinite Frontier off to a bad start with Roy throwing away his trucker hat

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He got rid of his hat?

Can anyone do a wellness check on Darth Titmouse?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rhyno posted:

He got rid of his hat?

Can anyone do a wellness check on Darth Titmouse?

Nah he got banned for being terrible.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Best joke this week.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Crime Syndicate definitely seems like they're gonna try and have fun

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sounds about right for a mirror DC Universe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I didn't read Crime Syndicate, but I assume the Earth 3 Talons are like a secret society of warrior monks dedicated to peace?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Talon is Owlman’s Robin. Predates The Court.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I believe it's now that Gotham is ruled by the Owls and Owlman is their prime agent in enforcement. Volthoom and the Power Ring are no more and in its place are no actual Guardians who seem to want their GLs to be dictatorial like the Manhunters. Oliver Queen is president (idk if that was something from previous versions like how Benedict Arnold is the founding father instead of Washington)

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
A dumb question about a dumb thing, but is "HH" is Batman's thing and "-TT-" Damian's thing?

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

A dumb question about a dumb thing, but is "HH" is Batman's thing and "-TT-" Damian's thing?
Yes. Morrison introduced it as a Batman tic at the start of their JLA run and carried it over to their Batman work, and put Damian's tic in reference to that.

Arkhams Razor fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 13, 2021

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It’s such a little thing, but I really enjoy them. Nice little piece of character work.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

I believe it's now that Gotham is ruled by the Owls and Owlman is their prime agent in enforcement. Volthoom and the Power Ring are no more and in its place are no actual Guardians who seem to want their GLs to be dictatorial like the Manhunters. Oliver Queen is president (idk if that was something from previous versions like how Benedict Arnold is the founding father instead of Washington)

I believe it's new, but, Oliver Queen as Earth-3's "billionaire failson that got elected president" is an inspired riff.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ElNarez posted:

I believe it's new, but, Oliver Queen as Earth-3's "billionaire failson that got elected president" is an inspired riff.

The blonde hair initially made me think it was pastiche Trump because I didn't see the facial hair at first.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't know about everyone else, but I, actually, really enjoyed all my DC books this week (Infinite Frontier, Batman, Swamp Thing, Suicide Squad, and Crime Syndicate)

Feeling a bit optimistic, and between this, the Snyder Cut, and Woolie starting an Arkham Asylum LP I'm really in a DC mood this month.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The start of Tynion's new arc is really stimulating long-dormant scans_daily neurons in my brain and making me want to post about how happy I am that Batman has a nice boyfriend for once. I thought Suicide Squad was.... fine? I'll give it another few issues to really grab me but it feels like a step back from the recent and excellent Tom Taylor run.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Tom Taylor's Suicide Squad was probably the most enjoyable batch of Suicide Squad comics since, I don't know, the original Jon Ostrander run?

I'm just happy for more Peacemaker, but it is an uphill battle. Probably the weakest of the bunch this week for me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think the Ghost Makers costume and name are bloody stupid but the character is growing on me. I like that Bruce has a bro he can bounce off of and I just hate the idea that that means Ghost Maker is probably not going to be around long.

As for Suicide Squad I really wasn't a big fan the Future State Suicide Squad and it feels like this is a prequel to that. I generally love Suicide Squad so I will keep getting it but I need to see more before I get invested. Do agree that Taylor's run was great though and it was nice to see someone do something different with the squad instead of Waller just getting worse and worse.

I picked up Swamp Thing but I haven't read it yet.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Joker is shaping up to be...interesting. The majority of the issue focuses on Jim Gordon and looks like it'll be more about his hunt for the title character than the title character himself which is good. The backup is more Bluebird/Punchline stuff and I could care less.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Well yeah, Joker is busy raising Baby Batman.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I like just about anything with Wonder Woman in it. But I REALLY enjoyed this issue. I hope the rest of this arc plays out just as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, I'm very rarely a fan of these 'hero has amnesia and is separated from their friends' arcs because as fun as the story itself might be, there's not much you can do to follow it up, and it basically forces you to come up with a whole new cast of characters (and in some cases, basically a new version of the lead) that aren't going to be there after. And I'm not necessarily so pulled into this story that I think all that you're having to bend the series to fit it is worth it. But we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm mixed about it. The art and story is pretty nice so far, but there's a part of me that's bitter that Diana barely gets to do poo poo with her own pantheon and mythology anymore, we hardly know what she thinks about her own faith, and then she gets dragged into this whole Norse thing. And they're actually handling the Norse thing pretty well here which just makes me more bitter, 'cuz in contrast they seem utterly determined to keep the Olympians' status quos in the DCU as muddled and ambiguous as they possibly can.
:colbert: