Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

it's the paranoid style, and it long-predates the industrial era ideology of fascism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Hofstadter basically pinned down the American psyche for all time

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the umberto eco quote’s been posted to death and lost all meaning

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

shrike82 posted:

the umberto eco quote’s been posted to death and lost all meaning

quote:

Ur-Fascism grows up and seeks for consensus by exploiting and exacerbating the natural fear of difference. The first appeal of a fascist or prematurely fascist movement is an appeal against the intruders.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yah posting it repeatedly doesn’t make it any more profound

and lol if you can’t apply it to China/Japan/South Korea in relation to each other

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Most of that essay is too broad and applies to too many non fascist nations to be too useful.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

in any case, i suspect covid has worked more effectively than any coordinated FP blob propaganda effort in poisoning public opinion against China

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

shrike82 posted:

in any case, i suspect covid has worked more effectively than any coordinated FP blob propaganda effort in poisoning public opinion against China

Weird take. You think there's some natural effect that causes "the public" to spontaneously blame China for the virus?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it’s happened across the world with a general rise in racist attacks on ethnic Chinese and negative trends in opinions polls across countries. US pols have capitalized on it but that’s separate from the FP establishment manufacturing something whole cloth

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Years and years of anti China propaganda.

"Wow this consent got manufactured on it's own out of nowhere. Amazing!"

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

shrike82 posted:

it’s happened across the world with a general rise in racist attacks on ethnic Chinese and negative trends in opinions polls across countries. US pols have capitalized on it but that’s separate from the FP establishment manufacturing something whole cloth

And your take is that this happened independently of any anti-China propaganda effort in the media? lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

shrike82 posted:

can’t wait for the Chinese wave of cultural exports - I miss eating authentic mala hotpot

even in minnesota I can get pig brain as a side to my mala hotpot so idk where you can't get it authentic if you look hard enough

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

* watching the NY Times print its 5000th article blaming COVID-19 on China *

Hm, yes. It seems to me all this criticism of China is springing up organically. I am a very smart man

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

:shrug: COVID’s probably undone the past couple decades’ worth of Chinese soft power single-handedly

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
on the contrary it seems to me that COVID has dramatically advanced china's global position because of the incredible disparity in different countries' ability to handle it

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yes, the US foreign policy establishment, famous for never manufacturing anything out of whole cloth.

This is what Americans actually believe.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

on the contrary it seems to me that COVID has dramatically advanced china's global position because of the incredible disparity in different countries' ability to handle it

And lets not forget that China is sending out vaccines and supplies to other countries at the same time the west is hoarding them. In relative terms China’s soft power should be rapidly increasing in the global south

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
to paraphrase a friend of mine, COVID actually does scan as a chinese conspiracy to destroy the united states because all you'd need to do to weaken the US empire is trigger the onset of any kind of global problem which can be easily dealt by even a small amount of deliberate, coordinated, government action that isn't bombing people

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/China-s-vaccine-diplomacy-fails-to-win-ASEAN-support-survey

quote:

China's vaccine diplomacy fails to win ASEAN support: survey

JAKARTA -- China's attempt to win hearts and minds in Southeast Asia during the coronavirus pandemic through "vaccine diplomacy" appears to have fallen flat, according to a survey by the ASEAN Studies Centre at Singapore's ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute.

But despite these efforts, 61.5% of respondents said they would choose the U.S. over China if they were forced to pick sides in the ongoing U.S.-China rivalry. Support for the U.S. rose 7.9 percentage points from last year's survey.

and this is China‘a backyard

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

shrike82 posted:

lol this is adorable

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Lol, that poll isn’t a random survey of the populations of ASEAN countries, but a poll of academics, government officials, and business people. Basically, the economic and political elite of the country, not the country as a whole

quote:

In a poll of 1,032 people, including academics, government officials and business people across the 10-nation Association of South East Asian Nations conducted from Nov. 18 to Jan. 10, 44.2% of respondents said China had provided the most help to the region during the pandemic, ahead of Japan at 18.2%, the European Union at 10.3%, and the 9.6% who named the U.S.

Pretty funny that they all recognize that China has been providing the most aid in the region though

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

ok and...? isn’t that even worse for China

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Chomskyan posted:

Lol, that poll isn’t a random survey of the populations of ASEAN countries, but a poll of academics, government officials, and business people. Basically, the economic and political elite of the country, not the country as a whole

Pretty funny that they all recognize that China has been providing the most aid in the region though

45% isn't "they all" it's not even majority

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

shrike82 posted:

:shrug: COVID’s probably undone the past couple decades’ worth of Chinese soft power single-handedly

This is the dumbest hot take out of all your dumb opinions. It doesn't take 2 minute to find a pewpew survey online that show the Americans were hating on China in 2019.

Now I feel bad for giving serious reply on your previous posts.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Also it's loving Indonesia which is still dominated by the Islamist military cabal we elevated to power.

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx
Shrike what is your security clearance?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

shrike82 posted:

you repeatedly assume that China must act like the United States in terms of a global power instead of doing its own thing since it is a state with very, very different characteristics

does it ever occur to you that China might just have aided neighboring nations for the humane practicality of it instead of some pseudo-Monroe doctrine attitude, like, helping our neighbors with the pandemic helps us greatly too in direct material terms, we don't need "recognition" for that

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

thats what xi said

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

shrike82 posted:

You’re cherry picking a group of countries that joined an anti-Chinese alliance, and from there further cherry picking the upper echelons of that society, its politicians and businessmen, whose opinions are most likely represented by that national policy. If your point is to show that the elites of countries which were already against China before COVID are still against it afterwards, you’ve succeeded. If you’re trying to evaluate the broad impact of China’s vaccine diplomacy in any meaningful way, you’ve failed

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Southpaugh posted:

it has been interesting watching significant brain rot set in on noah over the years, he became more popular and got worse. Don't trust anyone whose into W.B Yeats imo.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

china really does seem to be decaying heavily, while the U.S. becomes more streamlined, competent, stable and inspirational. compared to 1996, america is looking amazingly great

THS
Sep 15, 2017

today i had to listen to NPR cause a work truck had no working aux cable, hadnt really listened to NPR in awhile. in two hours half of the stories were about china and they were always vaguely menacing, including criticism of their anti-poverty initiative because the state is “giving people money”

totally normal and real media coverage that is not manufacturing ideology for liberal dum dums

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this is NPR. china's last executive transfer was marked by violence and the state couldn't expel the main state supporters for the insurrection. they control the country's most significant mass media outlets where they are encouraging disease-spreading behavior and focusing on belligerent foreign policy as a panacea for economic pain, using aggressive patriotism to stifle criticism and deflect grievances. that's the subject of a new book by our guest this hour, economist don hughes of the hoover institute's forum on hoovervilles: flex-housing in times of crisis sponsored by home depot

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

[white guy in a suit with binoculars on the taiwanese coast looking west] drat, can't scrute a thing from here

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Chomskyan posted:

You’re cherry picking a group of countries that joined an anti-Chinese alliance, and from there further cherry picking the upper echelons of that society, its politicians and businessmen, whose opinions are most likely represented by that national policy. If your point is to show that the elites of countries which were already against China before COVID are still against it afterwards, you’ve succeeded. If you’re trying to evaluate the broad impact of China’s vaccine diplomacy in any meaningful way, you’ve failed

lol are you trying to argue that ASEAN is an anti Chinese association of countries?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

this is NPR. china's last executive transfer was marked by violence and the state couldn't expel the main state supporters for the insurrection. they control the country's most significant mass media outlets where they are encouraging disease-spreading behavior and focusing on belligerent foreign policy as a panacea for economic pain, using aggressive patriotism to stifle criticism and deflect grievances. that's the subject of a new book by our guest this hour, economist don hughes of the hoover institute's forum on hoovervilles: flex-housing in times of crisis sponsored by home depot

lmao

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

oh thats cool i wonder who these guys are

ISEAS Yusof Ishak Institute posted:

Mr Choi Shing Kwok was appointed Director of ISEAS on 15 January 2018 and took on the role of Head of ASEAN Studies Centre at the institute in March 2020.
Prior to this appointment, he was Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources from July 2012 to September 2017. Mr Choi started his career in the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) in 1978. He held various appointments in the SAF before he was appointed as Director, Security and Intelligence Division, Ministry of Defence in 1995 and held the post till 2005.

that's crazy why would they publish polls that make china look bad

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this is all so horrendously stupid and depraved

https://twitter.com/onlyyoontv/status/1367776368235282435

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

How come every china watcher is always a weird white dude that is balding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i was expecting an ASPI account, but they just work for CNBC

quote:

@CNBC @CNBCi Beijing Bureau Chief, Senior Correspondent | @NBCNews | @BrownUniversity @PhillipsExeter| Instagram: onlyyoontv