Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

multijoe posted:

I'I think there's a good case to be made for tanks too. You get a fairly simple rotation and don't have to worry about hitting solo positionals, an insane amount of survivablity, you get free queues every time it's time to run a dungeon and you get a classic fantasy hero aesthetic and weapon no matter which class you choose, it's basically a free pass through the game.

yea tbh if you want a more 'active' experience tank classes ARE really good in FF14, plus the advantage of this game having one of the few not completely rancid communities is even in higher level stuff just a quick 'hey I'm new to tanking, sorry if I go a little slow for you' is all you need for most parties to understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I hope something like this comes around. It's absurd that trials and raids get synced to the max ilvl of the expansion, and not something sensible like max ilvl for that patch (or maybe next patch for Savage raids).

It's probably wishful thinking, but I wish they'd also squish everything at level x0 to the same ilvl, or at least a much smaller range. The levelling gear covers about 50 ilvls over 10 levels, and then you have like 150 ilvls over the patch content.

as I recall they're still not exactly sure how they're going to square the circle of stat squishing and being able to outgear older content. WoW just put in an explicit multiplier on damage done/damage taken on content from previous expansions, which I guess works but is kinda artless

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

This is only at the extreme levels, or a rare couple of normal raids. If you have basic tanking skills down, you're fine jumping into 99% of new content. Healers might be a bit tougher since you can't tank privilege your way through a couple failed mechanics.

Healer also (usually) has nobody else to raise you, so if you're the first to die to some boss mechanic while half-paying attention you'll probably wipe the party.
On the other hand if you kill SOMEONE ELSE with bad drunk healing it's not too big of a deal since you can just rez them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chomposaur posted:

I mean when WoW tried to ape that scene six months later, they dropped this goofy turd that was universally reviled as a lovely end to a lovely expansion. Maybe they should stick to Thrall kill shots lol

lmao

Legion also had a scene that just straight up rips off your first meeting with Hydalaen, except instead of telling you that you're the special hero, the magic light wind chime tells you that some other guy (Illidan) is the special hero.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

lmao

Legion also had a scene that just straight up rips off your first meeting with Hydalaen, except instead of telling you that you're the special hero, the magic light wind chime tells you that some other guy (Illidan) is the special hero.

to be fair, it is extremely funny when illidan responds "no i'm not lmao" and kills the wind chime

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

World War Mammories posted:

to be fair, it is extremely funny when illidan responds "no i'm not lmao" and kills the wind chime

I wonder how much of that was a course correction by the writers. Because the 3 patches leading up to that moment were basically everyone being forced to watch a windchime write erotic fanfiction about how Illidan was a HARD MAN making HARD CHOICES and hating every moment of it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
In the dead blizzard forum, someone linked some climactic cinematic where Tyrande did some moonwell poo poo and destroyed an invading orc army, and it was probably the most amateur looking poo poo I've seen in a game of that calibre.

It was a half dozen identical night elves, fighting a half dozen identical orcs, all kinda scattered around lackadaisicaly, all animating in step with eachother. Then an identical flash hit all of them, and they all fell over in unison.

Disregarding engine ages and poo poo, there was no effort in making it look like any sort of battle line. It was as if a handful of pairs got spawned in random locations and the animator called it a day. Which, you know, is probably what happened. But the lack of effort was outstanding.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

not gonna lie this was probably my favorite cutscene in wow history

eat poo poo windchime my destiny is my own

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Wind Chime Tries To Temper Illidan, Is NOT Prepared For What Happens Next

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

In the dead blizzard forum, someone linked some climactic cinematic where Tyrande did some moonwell poo poo and destroyed an invading orc army, and it was probably the most amateur looking poo poo I've seen in a game of that calibre.

It was a half dozen identical night elves, fighting a half dozen identical orcs, all kinda scattered around lackadaisicaly, all animating in step with eachother. Then an identical flash hit all of them, and they all fell over in unison.

Disregarding engine ages and poo poo, there was no effort in making it look like any sort of battle line. It was as if a handful of pairs got spawned in random locations and the animator called it a day. Which, you know, is probably what happened. But the lack of effort was outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYzGvfhkmnE this one.
The thing that really sucks is this was supposed to be the narrative payoff/counter to Sylv burning down the world tree. But it functionally didn't do anything except turn Tyrandre into a violent, mindless, revenge robot and let Alliance players make night elf characters with goth eyeshadow.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

The thing that really sucks is this was supposed to be the narrative payoff/counter to Sylv burning down the world tree. But it functionally didn't do anything except turn Tyrandre into a violent, mindless, revenge robot and let Alliance players make night elf characters with goth eyeshadow.

She doesn't even manage to kill a single named character as the embodiment of divine vengeance.

Hell, when it comes to angry women empowered by vengeful goddesses of the moon Tyrande just barely squeaks past Tsukuyomi in body count.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Kerrzhe posted:

not gonna lie this was probably my favorite cutscene in wow history

eat poo poo windchime my destiny is my own

It's an excellent scene, well written and executed. Too bad it stands out because everything else sucks

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

She doesn't even manage to kill a single named character as the embodiment of divine vengeance.

Hell, when it comes to angry women empowered by vengeful goddesses of the moon Tyrande just barely squeaks past Tsukuyomi in body count.

She eventually kills Nathanos, by which I mean she just sends him to Superhell where his boss is waiting because Nathanos is an authorial self insert.

More importantly she "retakes" Darkshore, but it's still a literal warzone that changes hands on a regular weekly schedule because the alliance isn't allowed to actually make lasting changes to the worldstate.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kurieg posted:

Wow really needs to work on their cutscene engine because it's not good enough to pull off the in-engine stuff that FFXIV can do, which is part of the issue.

This is the big problem. Their cinematics that use the ingame assets but are prerendered look absolutely stellar. I frankly like them more than the expansion cinematics that try to go for a more realistic look. But these ones that are actually ingame like the N'Zoth cutscene are just really really really bad. They use stock animations, there's zero attempt at lip sync, there's no good camera work or special effects. It's just constantly a huge bummer when they happen to the point where I would rather read a note that tells me what happened than watch the godawful ugly cutscenes.

The N'zoth situation sucks because they wanted to avoid a "Thrall or whoever kills the boss" but because the only way to have your character show up in the cutscene is to have it be the lovely ingame ones, it just ended up looking terrible. In general I prefer WoW's much more western cartoon inspired look to FFXIV's overall more anime look, but FFXIV has them beat so drat hard on in game cutscenes. It's such a shame because it's obvious Blizzard has REALLY good animators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slzQOyS5TqQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8pZ_7syXT8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtMimHSeWKs

Visually these look so good. But then you have this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIRZ93tFGvE

Just... God. Imagine how good this scene would look properly animated. It drives me crazy.

Also since we're on the subject I'm just gonna rant real quick again about how disappointing the N'Zoth stuff was. I was SO excited for N'Zoth to finally be free and to gently caress everything up and I thought it was gonna be this big awesome moment in BFA. No. Instead, they have this (well animated) cutscene of N'Zoth's prison chains finally coming off. And then... nothing happens. He just keeps chilling in the bottom of the ocean. He doesn't burst from the water and rain insanity and despair down now that he's finally free. No he smoke monsters over to Azshara's body, takes it and then that's it. Oh well guess those huge prison chains that were made by the ancient titans of the universe didn't really need to be there, N'Zoth is chill.

I play both of these games, and I enjoy both, but man WoW frustrates me by how much potential it has and then wastes it.

Kurieg posted:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Why is this not a pre-rendered cutscene? Imagine how cool this scene would look with proper animations. Drives me insane.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

As far as I know WoW is the only game that attempts to fit into the modern AAA cinematic space using assets and engines that are nearly 20 years old. It's been falling apart at the seams since WotLK and if Blizzard still had the talent and capability to do it they should and would have moved onto WoW 2 years ago.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cythereal posted:

I looked up a strategy guide for Syrcus once out of curiosity. We actually still get the complete Xande and Amon fights. But did you know Scylla has an ability called Daybreak? And Glasya has an ability called Deathstream?

It's kind of silly the even though people know nowadays to ignore the puddles in the Glasya fight since Deathstream is just not gonna happen, people still run the lightning tethers to the towers in the Scylla fight despite Daybreak being even *less* likely, if anything.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kurieg posted:

Yep, this is that clownass cinematic.

I don't even mind the graphical or technical aspects of the in-engine scenes. It's all on the terrible direction and planning.

Looking at the opening seconds alone are terrible. There are more orcs closer to the moonwell than there are night elves, but none care to try to stop tyrande. And they're all just otherwise scattered on the road, with nothing else happening elsewhere.

It's less like a battle, and more like the shittiest high school dance imaginable, where every dude gets forcefully paired off with a girl, and they're all kinda milling about the designated area of the dance floor. But they're all so pristinely choreographed that they move identically.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Can you queue up a 24 man alliance and set it to minimum ilevel? I'd actually love to run Syrcus Tower like that.

LOTA? Ehhhh...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

seiferguy posted:

Can you queue up a 24 man alliance and set it to minimum ilevel? I'd actually love to run Syrcus Tower like that.

LOTA? Ehhhh...

i'm not sure you can (iirc alliance raids didn't allow undersizing/ilevel options but i last checked expansions ago), and even if you can you'll need a full alliance obviously :v:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i have seen min ilvl lota runs in party finder before

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A premade Alliance Raid just needs to have have a minimum of 1 person in each alliance, otherwise it can have all the regular modifiers.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So three people can speed run ST with their level 80s for relic drops or whatever?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i asked that and was told you have to run them synced to get the memories

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ST is already 15 minutes synced

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sadly you'd need a minimum of 12 to beat LOTA unsynced cause of the dang pads.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

E: nope nevermind

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Send 4 into A, 5 into B (4 for the pad, 1 to kill Atomos), after Atomos is dead, one person leave B before the arena gets locked and get sucked into A and kill A's, 5 into C for pad + Atomos, bam, a mere 14 needed.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yep, this is that clownass cinematic.

I don't even mind the graphical or technical aspects of the in-engine scenes. It's all on the terrible direction and planning.

Looking at the opening seconds alone are terrible. There are more orcs closer to the moonwell than there are night elves, but none care to try to stop tyrande. And they're all just otherwise scattered on the road, with nothing else happening elsewhere.

It's less like a battle, and more like the shittiest high school dance imaginable, where every dude gets forcefully paired off with a girl, and they're all kinda milling about the designated area of the dance floor. But they're all so pristinely choreographed that they move identically.

It's even worse when you recognize that most of her animations are just stock night elf animations. It's the stock walk animations, the stock throw, the stock cast animations. The only thing that's new is the weird yelling pose she does when she gets empowered? The movements she does during "The night warrior lives within me" are just /yell and /train.

Her killing of Nathanos was a more high quality cinematic on par with the Denathrius one linked upthread. But there were something like 30 minutes worth of fully pre-rendered CG cutscenes focusing on Horde character, guest starring Anduin, during BFA.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Things have been slowly approaching alignment in my head over the past couple weeks, but last night of 12S door prog is I think the first time PLD really started clicking and I saved more pulls than I killed. There's a very satisfying oGCD dance to get all the mandatory mitigation out when necessary without fumbling dps cooldowns and just the right amount of incoming damage so that Intervention and/or Cover can save someone who's missed party mitigation or taken an extra hit (without Cover being a suicide button).

I really like PLD now.

e: It's also nice to tank with DRK since I can see which healer he's TBNed and Intervene the other one. Mitigation buffs get completely lost in icon barf when raidwide shields and mitigation are going out, but the big fat extra shield is impossible to miss.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 5, 2021

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
FFXIV can generally do cutscenes better because they've worked to make you invested in each character as a person with consistency to who they are, their motives, and the stakes you share in, and because they've created a wide range of general emotes and character positioning they can use to move and position people with. It's also not afraid to lock people in place so that they don't mess with the staging, which WoW has been mildly allergic to for ages. It's also willing to give the player character emotions and have them share in the moment, rather than needing to treat them as a completely blank slate.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Thundarr posted:

It's kind of silly the even though people know nowadays to ignore the puddles in the Glasya fight since Deathstream is just not gonna happen, people still run the lightning tethers to the towers in the Scylla fight despite Daybreak being even *less* likely, if anything.

I don't know what any of that means or does but the scary lighting ball stops following me when I take it to a tower so that's what I do.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
If people take the orbs to the tower these days it is so they don't explode and wipe the raid when healers are either 1) completely inattentive (most common) or 2) all frozen and everyone with a fire orb is completely inattentive and doesn't free them.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Thundarr posted:

No, people run the lightning to the towers because that's the only way to prevent them hitting you and taking damage. Of course, it's a trivial amount of damage, but...

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

also, here's the whole ending cutscene with n'zoth. BEHOLD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_iHOJ1Ezr0

I like how the player character just majestically floats straight up and completely out of frame for a bit

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ironslave posted:

FFXIV can generally do cutscenes better because they've worked to make you invested in each character as a person with consistency to who they are, their motives, and the stakes you share in, and because they've created a wide range of general emotes and character positioning they can use to move and position people with. It's also not afraid to lock people in place so that they don't mess with the staging, which WoW has been mildly allergic to for ages. It's also willing to give the player character emotions and have them share in the moment, rather than needing to treat them as a completely blank slate.

Its also funny that the WoW cinematic is apparently the highest the stakes have been, and meanwhile our second best expansion is about saving a single small nation from two dragon eyeballs (one with a dragon attached)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Every ST party features at least one whm who does nothing but spam Medica the entire raid so a little burst damage from letting a lighting tether pop isn't really a concern.

No, it's the jerks who drag ice tethers across water that are the real problem. And the ones who run around wildly with shrink tethers in Amon but they're probably the same people.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The only tether I run away from in fights is that red and white one. I still dont know the mechanic but it must be lethal

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Control Volume posted:

Its also funny that the WoW cinematic is apparently the highest the stakes have been, and meanwhile our second best expansion is about saving a single small nation from two dragon eyeballs (one with a dragon attached)

The Garrosh cinematic from Pandaria got posted here, but for anyone who's just seeing that it's just another action trailer. It meant more to players because most of them had been there for the whole ordeal, likely meeting him in Nagrand, watching him hang around with Thrall, knowing or learning his family's history ("where is your father now" is a useless line unless you know about his father, for example), and then fighting for and alongside him and seeing the cracks begin to form before being witness to his slide into absolute monstrousness. Yeah, his arc clearly shifted some in the middle, but never irreconcilably so, and players were largely part of and witnesses to it.

Tyrande becoming the night warrior... who cared? She'd been three different characters since the end of WC3, barely got any focus of her own outside of her relationship to Malfurion throughout WoW, and even her home being burned was more about the people who did it than about the people who suffered for it. They never gave her the consistency and focus they should have and as a result the most common reaction I've seen to it is a shrug.

WoW's problem is less that it often doesn't so cinematics well (though BFA's floppy mouths and eternally-gesturing hands really, really did not help) but that it frequently has failed to do the legwork to invest us in the people in them. Players will overlook bad cinematics easily if they care about the people or messages in them. The reverse isn't as true. FFXIV has put a lot into making you know about these characters and who they are, so not many people care if they just got involved in a five minute scene of people cutting between talking heads and canned stock emotes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Sadly you'd need a minimum of 12 to beat LOTA unsynced cause of the dang pads.

15 for Atomos - 4 for each the pads and 1 to just walk up and one-shot it, since they're just out of range if you're standing on the pads. I guess you could use summoners to just have their pets attack it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that was actually what i said and then edited to nevermind because you can just have one group kill the atomos at a time while the others stand on their pads. should have plenty of time.