Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Hydra still has to get past Whiplash. Whiplash has won a lot of improbable fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sweet geek swag posted:

Hydra still has to get past Whiplash. Whiplash has won a lot of improbable fights.

Whiplash's driver is probably the best in the tournament but a lot of his fights took advantage of his bot being ablt to take spinner hits until those broke or otherwise body blocking spinners. Also, I think Hydra is just fast enough to keep their weapon towards Whiplash.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

For me, damage has to actively impact the bot in a negative way. Yeah, Bloodpsort lost a wheel, but it still drove fine regardless so the damage actually didn't do anything in the end. Same with the self-righter. Just because it was bent doesn't mean it stopped working. And you're way off with the aggression thing. Bots all tourney have retreated to get space to line up their attacks and still got aggression points

Rotator won that

Well, the judges actually have at least guidelines to what qualifies as damage. And the only thing excluded is cosmetic damage and I don't think there is any argument to call losing a wheel just cosmetic damage... If you start doing that then who the gently caress knows what is cosmetic or actual damage.

And Tantrum just completely dominated the Control and was aggressive. It's a good decision IMO.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Whiplash/Hydra is gonna be the battle for low ground, and I think Vasquez is just a hair better at playing that game. I expect Whiplash's vert to do some work as well.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Whiplash is fast enough to likely keep to the sides or back of Hydra for a majority of that fight... It's an insanely fast bot and driven pretty well... But I think Whiplash might still have some difficulty as half their offense is making the spinner bots destroy themselves...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Witch Doctor-Sawblaze: Holy poo poo what a fight. That's gotta be the best driving of Jamison Go's career. Witch Doctor's had some questionable driving this year, and continually going right into the front of Sawblaze was definitely a blunder.

Ribbot-Uppercut: That's a pretty fitting end for Tombstone Jr.

Tantrum-Bloodsport: Good decision. I was surprised it was a split. Even with Tantrum's weapon going down, it was alllllll over Bloodsport the whole match. Tantrum-Sawblaze should be a hell of a fight.

Gigabyte-Hydra: Pretty cool it went the distance. So many entertaining flips. You don't see too many full-body spinners that are durable.

Black Dragon-Tombstone: Pretty standard Tombstone loss.

Whiplash-Valkyrie: Second verse same as the first. I doubt a weapon change would have made any difference for Valkyrie so they were probably right to stick with the one they thought was best.

Shatter-Mammoth: Weird fight (of course). I don't think they've ever mentioned that Shatter can strafe like that. It's strange it doesn't come up more. Anyway, Shatter landed the Chomp Shot, so obviously they win.

End Game-Rotator: End Game lost some luster there, breaking their own weapon on Rotator's backside rather than its weapon. I thought they were gonna be the vertical spinner that makes a finals run this year, but I'm not so sure now. :lol: Rotator guy has a second decision he can gripe about this season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

logikv9 posted:

going through my predictions, :siren: next ep spoilers below :siren::

the whole episode was a big upset and incredibly boring for what it could’ve been. i guess this is what i get for wishing powerful weapon vs powerful weapon - they both break and then it becomes a push match.

See I feel exactly the opposite. I thought it was one of the best episodes ever. I'm fine with a minute of pushing as you get to evaluate exactly how functional the bots are after they both blasted each other's weapons apart.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Witch Doctor-Sawblaze: Holy poo poo what a fight. That's gotta be the best driving of Jamison Go's career. Witch Doctor's had some questionable driving this year, and continually going right into the front of Sawblaze was definitely a blunder.

I will say that it definitely worked for them last year, and that Sawblaze should absolutely ditch the middle fork the next time they fight Witch Doctor or really any vert spinner. You could see how it got bent up and hosed with their ability to actually get underneath Witch Doctor. They were basically feeding that middle fork right into the disc.

Otoh it was insane how much more stable they've been driving - they've minimized wheelies that they've been having in previous seasons and, as a result, were able to totally reverse the 1 sided matchup they had against WD this season.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sawblaze is just such a versatile robot, it can crawl along the screws, it has a powerful hammer with a powerful buzzsaw that it can either keep back and safe to spin up while slamming along enemy robots or just go rear-first to hit low. I was impressed by how it just stabbed into Witch Doctor's drum and sunk deep enough to get stuck.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Whiplash has the best shot out of anybody left (maybe Sawblaze) to actually beat Hydra. They dominated Bronco a few years just by outdriving them and repeatedly getting to their side and away from the flipper.

Also lol, people somehow thought Bloodsport won that match? It got its poo poo kicked in for 3 minutes straight, got its pole bent, lost both its wedgelettes and a wheel, and did basically no noticable damage to Tantrum, unless you count the weapon which I think was unrepaired from the Fusion fight.

Fuuuuck, Ribbot vs. Black Dragon are the two most un-interesting designs in the whole thing and now we have to watch them fight.

Edit: I forgot how good this fight was. If Whiplash can do this again against Hydra, they might be able to pull it off. The one time they get flipped, they self right so fast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTBudOgsZwc

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 5, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fish Of Doom posted:

Whiplash has the best shot out of anybody left (maybe Sawblaze) to actually beat Hydra. They dominated Bronco a few years just by outdriving them and repeatedly getting to their side and away from the flipper.

Edit: I forgot how good this fight was. If Whiplash can do this again against Hydra, they might be able to pull it off. The one time they get flipped, they self right so fast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTBudOgsZwc

Totally agree. The robot's an extension of the man at this point. I think Hydra will beat them, but they've got the best chance of those in the field right now.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Totally agree. The robot's an extension of the man at this point. I think Hydra will beat them, but they've got the best chance of those in the field right now.

I think Sawblaze probably has the next best chance - its the only other one really fast enough to control Hydra.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Borsche69 posted:

I think Sawblaze probably has the next best chance - its the only other one really fast enough to control Hydra.

End Game also has a shot. They should be able to reach Hydra unlike a lot of other vertical spinner bots, and that spinner could pop Hydra away before it gets a chance to flip, and then they're good at chasing after they pop somebody, so they could get on top of Hydra from the jump and hound it the whole fight until they break it.

I think any bot in the field other than Whiplash, End Game, or Sawblaze beating Hydra would be an astounding upset. Hard to even envision Black Dragon or Shatter doing anything but getting flipped 13 times.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lol, Uppercut was TOO strong

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Do you think Ribbot damaged their drive by just engaging in head-on pushing? It seemed pretty obvious that was their tactic, and it was surprising Uppercut played that game with them.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

RBA Starblade posted:

I think this is also why Bloodsport was trying to avoid wall contact with their blade at full tilt. They've broken their main tri-bar weapon, and also broke one of their alternate bars in a bounty hunter episode. It's either too fast or too brittle.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Well that was certainly a set of surprising events.

Congratulations to Coaab and Halloween Jack for getting the highest scores this week, picking 5/8 matches correctly. It was a rough week for us all as you can see in this week's percent-correct

5/8: 11.7% (2 people)
4/8: 41.2% (7 people)
3/8: 23.5% (4 people)
2/8: 5.8% (1 person)
1/8: 11.7% (2 people)
0/8: 5.8% (1 person - sorry No Broccoli Please :( )

Current Standings
21- Coaaab
20- Kloaked00
20- Esoter1c
20- Halloween Jack
19- Mumbling
18- Fish of Doom
18- Post Nouveau
18- Beepsandboops
17- Zedd
17- Guava Moment
17- Queering Wheel
17- KennyMan666
16- Oh Jay
16- Great Beer
12- Slick Goku Baby
11- No Broccoli Please
9- Tunicate

Players with their Champion Still Standing
Great Beer - Whiplash
Coaaab - End Game
Zedd - Sawblaze
Post Nouveau - Hydra
Guava Moment - Hydra

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

I'm sad I only found this thread as things are winding down.

It's been a fun season! The lack of Biteforce and Minotaur has really helped some of the newer (or just improved) teams shine.

Uppercut and Shatter's glow-up has been really fun to see.

Also, the meta-trolling by Jake Ewert made me finally not hate him. The anti-Huge bike rack was annoying, but that Gigabyte fight was fantastic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'd like to offer my thoughts but I haven't even watched the new episode yet. I didn't expect to jump back up after last week. I definitely did not expect Ribbot or Shatter to get this far. Which is fine because they're cool-looking bots. I just thought they were too cute and fragile for this world. If I was voting my heart I'd pick Hijinx to win the tournament.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

My beautiful bracket...

I'm a little heartbroken about Uppercut. They're super entertaining and it sucks that they went out like that after being durable throughout the season.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Kloaked00 posted:

Well that was certainly a set of surprising events.

0/8: 5.8% (1 person - sorry No Broccoli Please :( )

Yeeeeah. Ouch. I see people on reddit posting memes about messed up brackets and thinking "you don't even KNOW."
Ah well! Go Whiplash!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So is next week the last episode?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So is next week the last episode?

Yes, Amazon called this one the penultimate one

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

My bracket was so hosed but I still have sawblace.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mumbling posted:

My beautiful bracket...

I'm a little heartbroken about Uppercut. They're super entertaining and it sucks that they went out like that after being durable throughout the season.

I think Uppercut's match with Hydra was a sign that while the weapon is powerful as gently caress, the driving system wasn't exactly all there, but just burning out like that is a real disappointment.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Borsche69 posted:

It is very fast and agile, but its best bet is that it can stay in its extended stance and use its.. proboscis(?) to strike hydra while driving backward. IIRC the business end of the saw rotates downward with the articulated thing pointed forward and rotates upward with it extended.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

End Game needs to find a graphic designer or artist to help them. That is a very ugly robot. "What if it was just orange and green and said NEW ZEALAND in huge block letters on side?"

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Fish Of Doom posted:

End Game needs to find a graphic designer or artist to help them. That is a very ugly robot. "What if it was just orange and green and said NEW ZEALAND in huge block letters on side?"

They posted a picture of what it looks like post rotator repairs and it's somehow even uglier. Other fun facts: their weapon is 2 inches of ar500. Rotator bent it to the point of uselessness.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
The saddest part of the championship is seeing all of your favorite bots losing to all of your other favorite bots.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

RIP horizontal spinners. I want to see someone make them championship contenders again. I think Bloodsport and Rotator are on the right track, but they both need to put a lot more work into their forks. Bots like Valkyrie, Gigabyte, and Tombstone that are overcentralized on their weapon will always run into a wall against control designs. And just we saw that three times. A horizontal spinner and a vertical spinner both lost weapons, and the vert was still a good wedge so it won.

Go SawBlaze though. With Uppercut and Tombstone out of the field, things are starting to look pretty good for them.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 8, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What are you talking about? We saw one horizontal spinner go the distance and make it to the next round! :v: Against the vertical spinner without a wedge no less.

I do wonder if Tombstone could be redesigned to have more of a wedge on the other end for if something goes wrong with the weapon, but that might mess with its fighting style if the behind isn't just flat and blank as a target to bait in enemies. There's also a bit of "don't fix what isn't broken" since Tombstone is one of the best, most powerful, and most durable designs in the show, even though it often just barely comes short of winning the whole thing.

Definitely I think Malice should get redesigned to get rid of that flat butt that cost it a match.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
I am thinking that teams are starting to be able to hand the hits of tombstone with more solid frames and wedged fronts. They have his number and I am not sure what kind of redesign could fix the counters teams have come up for him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TheJadedOne posted:

I am thinking that teams are starting to be able to hand the hits of tombstone with more solid frames and wedged fronts. They have his number and I am not sure what kind of redesign could fix the counters teams have come up for him.

I wonder if there's something going on inside the frames too. I remember a breakdown video with Duck from Duck's first season or so, and the guy had like redundant frames within frames to protect the internals. That's the first bot I remember having a strategy of being so solidly built that the other bot breaks itself.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I do wonder if Tombstone could be redesigned to have more of a wedge on the other end for if something goes wrong with the weapon, but that might mess with its fighting style if the behind isn't just flat and blank as a target to bait in enemies. There's also a bit of "don't fix what isn't broken" since Tombstone is one of the best, most powerful, and most durable designs in the show, even though it often just barely comes short of winning the whole thing.

Definitely I think Malice should get redesigned to get rid of that flat butt that cost it a match.

Ray did an AMA on reddit yesterday and said straight up he has no plans to add a butt wedge. Tombstones biggest flaw from his point of view is that impacts tend to fling the opponent into tombstones right wheel, which is what keeps causing him to lose it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Great Beer posted:

Ray did an AMA on reddit yesterday and said straight up he has no plans to add a butt wedge. Tombstones biggest flaw from his point of view is that impacts tend to fling the opponent into tombstones right wheel, which is what keeps causing him to lose it.

He definitely has a style going for him, I'll give him that.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I wonder if there's something going on inside the frames too. I remember a breakdown video with Duck from Duck's first season or so, and the guy had like redundant frames within frames to protect the internals. That's the first bot I remember having a strategy of being so solidly built that the other bot breaks itself.

Duck's frame is basically single billet milled, which I also think is what tombstone is and that helps with the durability. As noted above Tombstone has a wheel weakness. The wire disconnect that stopped his weapon in Black Dragon was a mix of forces + unfortunate luck. Even then we are getting better drivers and front/back wedges can negate a lot of tombstone's damage. Think we are quickly getting to a point where just punching really loving hard isn't enough anymore.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I wonder if it's that weapons are specifically limited in weight, while armour isn't. Might be the weight limits need eased on the weapons, or imposed on the armour. There are definitely some robots (EG: Whiplash, Sawblaze) that profit from having light weapons that do mostly cosmetic damage or just shove the other robot around, and using the saved weight for sturdy armour and good engines for pushing.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Gort posted:

I wonder if it's that weapons are specifically limited in weight, while armour isn't. Might be the weight limits need eased on the weapons, or imposed on the armour. There are definitely some robots (EG: Whiplash, Sawblaze) that profit from having light weapons that do mostly cosmetic damage or just shove the other robot around, and using the saved weight for sturdy armour and good engines for pushing.

Sawblaze has never been too casual at the fact that it's bot built for the rules... In it's 1st season at least, it was just a wedge bot with a saw that made lots of pretty sparks... I guess now his hammer saw is a bit more impactful... but it's mainly still just a wedge bot. And the 2 wheeled bots have the major advantage of mostly being able to turn on a dime so he can always have the dustpan wedge facing the 4 wheel spinner bots.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
loving the ray billings AMA. all the work next year to try to protect the wheels from itself and to keep up durability. like he says, if the weapon's spinning he's winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Finally saw the episode.

Ribbot vs. Uppercut: Ribbot got lucky, IMO. I think Ribbot is underestimated, but if it beats Black Dragon I will throw my beer at the screen.

Bloodsport vs. Tantrum: Tantrum is a sturdy, well-driven little shoverbot. Too bad the weapon's just for show. I predicted that Bloodsport wouldn't be able to create distance and get its weapon up to speed for big hits. Tantrum did a good job crowding Bloodsport, but as it turns out, it can take direct hits from Bloodsport's weapon anyway.

Gigabyte vs. Hydra: I wonder when Ewert decided that he had this one in the bag, so he'd focus on trying to murder someone in the audience.

Black Dragon vs. Tombstone: You always hope that these showdowns between two feared bots are going to be full of sparks and loud noises and maybe something catching on fire, instead of them breaking their weapons against each other and spending the rest of the match circling and shoving. I agree with the judges: Black Dragon was very clearly the monkey and Tombstone was very obviously the football.

Valkyrie vs. Whiplash: I rated Valkyrie very low because of apparent durability issues. I was completely wrong about that! It turns out that in Inverted Mode, their weapon is too high to high a lot of bots. Like Gigabyte, they were forced to attack the floor again and again. Whiplash has proven once and for all that Industrial beats Vaporwave.

Mammoth vs. Shatter: I defer to the judges. I couldn't tell which one was the monkey and which one was the football.

End Game vs. Rotator: Ah, the old "Let them punch you in the skull until their hands break" strategy.