Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

2house2fly posted:

Hux didn't defect to Leia's side, he was feeding information to the rebels in hopes they'd take out Kyle and he could take control of the First Order

i'm the spy!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Why did hux hate kylo ren so much. Did kylo ren hate hux back or was he just ambivalent about him

edit: Oh yeah, snoke. forgot about him

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hux is just Admiral Motti from ANH with way more screen time. But not as funny as that sounds. Kylo finds his lack of faith disturbing.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Robot Style posted:

The event was also told from the POV of Leia's adopted mother (who was with him) in the short story anthology From a Certain Point of View.

And it doesn't feature Leia's family, but the planet-side view of the event was also shown in the manga adaptation of Lost Stars:

That's some good art.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Hux is just Admiral Motti from ANH with way more screen time. But not as funny as that sounds. Kylo finds his lack of faith disturbing.

Nien nunb nosedives the tantive in the third film, making him admiral piett

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Why did hux hate kylo ren so much. Did kylo ren hate hux back or was he just ambivalent about him

edit: Oh yeah, snoke. forgot about him

Fascists are always catty bitches who turn on each other for power at the first opportunity.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

Nien nunb nosedives the tantive in the third film

I always forget this. God.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Eason the Fifth posted:

All this talk about fascist uniforms makes me want to watch the best Star Wars movie, Starship Troopers

Star war makes fascists of us all.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

kylo isn't religious

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Palpatine was never Hitler though - he kept order and he ran the empire, but the Imperial hierarchy despised his religion and his force powers.

Did they know he had supernatural powers? I thought that for them Vader was the only open weirdo with a sword as set up in New Hope.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
They probably thought of the force as an outdated concept that has no place in the empire rather than not knowing about Jedi powers in general? The clone wars were like what, 20 years ago?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Junkozeyne posted:

They probably thought of the force as an outdated concept that has no place in the empire rather than not knowing about Jedi powers in general? The clone wars were like what, 20 years ago?

19 years between RotS and ANH.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Junkozeyne posted:

The Star Wars universe is so enormous and baroque that it's probably easy for the individual denizens to hand wave that sort of thing. Could be any one of a hundred flavours of drugs, cybernetics, mutations or inherent alien powers. Every time they meet a new type of guy who can, like, read minds or turn invisible or whatever, they aren't going to think of it as the manifested will of an all-pervasive force. It's just another weird thing in the galaxy.

It's probably widely known that the jedi attributed their powers to their religion, but come on, they tried to do a coup in the middle of a war. They were clearly just crazy, and, also, had strong ties to the really corrupt government we had back before Sheev Palpatine "drained the garbage compactor".

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Elfgames posted:

kylo isn't religious

Dude literally worships his father's broken helmet and seeks to finish his great work

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

Did they know he had supernatural powers? I thought that for them Vader was the only open weirdo with a sword as set up in New Hope.

The line from Motti is “Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the Rebels' hidden fortress”

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I get the feeling the "sorcerer" part is as dismissive as Owen's "wizard", like he's not calling him much of one. Motti might as well have said "conjurer of cheap tricks".

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jewmanji posted:

The line from Motti is “Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the Rebels' hidden fortress”

Yeah I dont think he would have dared to say that if he knew that Palps was the spooky wizard too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Palpatine very rarely openly uses his Sith powers in most appearances, and lightning seems to be his signature. His prequel appearances are pretty consistent in that his real specialty is politics. Also, Sith names aren't subtle. Vader is a weapon of an empire, Maul is an assassin, Tyranis is an aristocratic leader, Sidious runs a galactic conspiracy.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, Sith names aren't subtle. Vader is a weapon of an empire, Maul is an assassin, Tyranis is an aristocratic leader, Sidious runs a galactic conspiracy.
Nobody even wanted to be in the same room as Darth Icky.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I'd say the question of the First Orders ideology is another example both of the creative forces behind the ST not knowing what the movies are supposed to be about and their own lack of understanding of real world ideologies. They dress like Nazi's, make angry authoritarian speeches like Nazi's, and are claimed to be "Argentinian Holdouts" by the director, because those are the things he thinks make a Nazi a Nazi. But in the meta sense anyone in the audience with historical literacy knows that Fascism is a lot more than just those aesthetic things. So there is a disconnect between what the First Order is supposed to be and what it actually is.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

galagazombie posted:

I'd say the question of the First Orders ideology is another example both of the creative forces behind the ST not knowing what the movies are supposed to be about and their own lack of understanding of real world ideologies. They dress like Nazi's, make angry authoritarian speeches like Nazi's, and are claimed to be "Argentinian Holdouts" by the director, because those are the things he thinks make a Nazi a Nazi. But in the meta sense anyone in the audience with historical literacy knows that Fascism is a lot more than just those aesthetic things. So there is a disconnect between what the First Order is supposed to be and what it actually is.

You are making a lot of stuff you cant really know like what the "creative forces" do or do not know in order to get to the same point which is that the First Order are not nazis in the films. You can cut out all that stuff you think you know about the "creative forces" and just stick to the film. IMHO. Do whatever you want of course. Just my observation.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

galagazombie posted:

Lindsey Ellis has a good video from a few years back where she talked about the (lack of) obvious ideology of the First Order, it's a decent watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAVeyXwy3BE

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Yoda is force sensitive because he is a puppet. He can feel someone else pulling his strings, and is therefore able to pull the X-wing by its abstract strings, out of the swamp. Like his brother, grover, he teaches children, but not letters just how to kill each other.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded of a bad pen and paper RPG, Stigmata, and its antagonist group being 'non-ideological fascism'. Attempts to just throw together villainous signifiers and thinking that alone is enough.

Cobra from GI Joe is more fleshed out, compelling and interesting.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of a bad pen and paper RPG, Stigmata, and its antagonist group being 'non-ideological fascism'. Attempts to just throw together villainous signifiers and thinking that alone is enough.
That was the one with the ultra-liberal take of "nooo, you mustn't use excessive force against the Nazis, that would make you as bad as them!", wasn't it? Even though you're meant to be playing resistance fighters.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The revolution actually forbids you from assassinating fascist politicians, it's insane. You're supposed to overthrow fascism with like, sabotage and graffiti.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Finally, the superweapon Strongly Worded Letter's time to shine

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Halloween Jack posted:

The revolution actually forbids you from assassinating fascist politicians, it's insane. You're supposed to overthrow fascism with like, sabotage and graffiti.

Isnt that the plot of Jet Set Radio

Barudak
May 7, 2007

weekly font posted:

Isnt that the plot of Jet Set Radio

You also run the cops over with your skates and blow up their helicopters so theres a bit more weight to the graffiti in those games

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cobra from GI Joe is more fleshed out, compelling and interesting.

I think the old Marvel comics actually made Cobra explicitly made up of middle class White Americans with a fascist ideology that blamed the (at the time of the comics just starting) death of the American middle-class on minorities/immigrants/feminists/liberals/etc. Waaaay more to say there than the T.V. shows vaguely european Cobra that wanted to rule the world because they hated fun or whatever.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
They loathed freedom yet loved snakes

So who's to say if they are the good or bad friends we made along the land of contrasts, aw dammit

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, Larry Hama really knew what he was doing.

Please don't get me to tease out everything wrong with Sigmata. It's just fractally wrong in the way that only a certain type of online leftist techbro can be.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I tried playing Sigmata, but it hurt the palms of my hands too much.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Halloween Jack posted:

Please don't get me to tease out everything wrong with Sigmata. It's just fractally wrong in the way that only a certain type of online leftist techbro can be.
For a start, the bad guys are called the Freedom Fist. :quagmire:

Also IIRC, people randomly turn into superpowered cyborgs from listening to pirate radio. For some reason.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

Finally, the superweapon Strongly Worded Letter's time to shine
Unleash the full power of the votes

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The Emperor will surely de-activate the Death Star if we peacefully march down Coruscant Main Street (but not during rush hour, and follow all Stormtrooper orders) with "witty" holo-signs. Blowing it up would make us just as bad really.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.thepaincomics.com/weekly050525.htm

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Has this thread discussed the unofficial Treverrow comic yet?

http://awinegarner.squarespace.com/duel-of-the-fates

It's actually pretty decent

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

bushisms.txt posted:

Has this thread discussed the unofficial Treverrow comic yet?

http://awinegarner.squarespace.com/duel-of-the-fates

It's actually pretty decent

I’m sad we didn’t get this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The comic is a lot better than I would have given it credit for after the brief summaries i'd read of Trevorrow Wars.

Especially Finn vanishing into a sewer with a ninja jump