Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
We're not IN the inn, so that means hanky-panky is fine, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Kiss him.

Evertree posted:

You're not sure why, but suddenly all you can think of doing is kissing him. You lean forward, closing your eyes and puckering your lips…

…but all you meet is air. You open your eyes and see Lamuel staring at you nervously.

"I…um…I should probably lock up the…er…the stables."

He practically falls over as he backs away from you. Perhaps you misread the situation…

Then again… As Lamuel moves away, finding an excuse to occupy himself, his gaze flicking through his long hair at you but never holding your own for more than a second, you can't help wondering. For a moment you could have sworn he was about to kiss you.

What do you think of this encounter?

1.I really want to see more of him. I think a part of me is disappointed that we didn't kiss.
2. I'm a little relieved he didn't try anything. I'm not interested in him in that way.

Set Lamuel 50

Unsurprisingly, the man who is freaked out by the prospect of being hugged by a stranger is also freaked out by the prospect of being kissed by a stranger. This choice sets your relationship to 50, depending on how the conversation's gone so far, this can be an increase or a decrease. In our case, we were at 48, so it made very little difference.

Given that we instigated, I'll default to 1 here, but feel free to correct me.

I really want to see more of him. I think a part of me is disappointed that we didn't kiss.

Evertree posted:

As you watch Lamuel, your eyes catch his and you feel a flutter of excitement in your chest. You've not had a special someone in a very long time, and you felt like there was a real connection there, even if only for a moment. You can only hope that he feels the same way…

Once he has finished securing all the animals in the stable, double-checking them and then triple-checking, Lamuel walks over to the door and turns to you. He's still looking a little nervous. It's hard to tell if he's regretting what happened, or what didn't, but his body language has become guarded. You might have to wait before you make any further move.

Evertree posted:

Standing out in the yard with Lamuel, he looks like he has some time to spare. Perhaps you can find out a bit more about the inn.

What would you like to ask?

1. "Do you know how this place came to be built?"
2. "What sort of people usually stay here?"
3. Before I ask any more questions, I'll offer him a gold piece to loosen his tongue.
4. I think there's something Lamuel isn't telling me. I want to read his mind. (Mana: 10)
5. That's everything I wanted to ask for now.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
This has been a very amusing conversation. I like that he's basically the polar opposite of the elf girl. Probably time to get back to the mystery we're meant to be solving, though.
1 doesn't seem super relevant, but we know that this place gets VIPs and at least one of them has died, so I'd go for 2 and see if there's a pattern of that sort of thing here

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

CountryMatters posted:

we know that this place gets VIPs and at least one of them has died, so I'd go for 2 and see if there's a pattern of that sort of thing here
Good call, 2.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"What sort of people usually stay here?"

Evertree posted:

Lamuel looks unsure of how to answer the question and asks, "What do you mean by that?"

1. "I'm curious as to what your typical guest would be?"
2. "What can you tell me about the other guests here tonight?"
3. "Do you remember a guest staying here named Gregori Risenfaal?"
4. That's all I wanted to know about guests.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
1 then 3, perhaps?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

CountryMatters posted:

1 then 3, perhaps?

And then 2 if we have the option.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"I'm curious as to what your typical guest would be?"

Evertree posted:

Lamuel considers how most tactfully to answer your question and then says, "I suppose we get all sorts."

He then adds, "Although I guess I'd say we do get a lot of less than favourable types. Not hardened criminals or anything, just…well, one of the things that makes this place popular is that we don't ask too many questions, you know?"

You're not necessarily sure what to make of that answer.

"Was there anything else you wanted to know?"

"Do you remember a guest staying here named Gregori Risenfaal?"

Evertree posted:

Lamuel hesitates in responding and then says, "Uh…not really. We get a lot of guests."

You're pretty sure that's a lie.

1. "He was here last week."
2. "Come on, you can trust me…"
3. Show him the letter.
4. "All right then, never mind."

We only know that's a lie thanks to our razor sharp perception, which includes reading people.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Is there any way to read his mind now, or have we missed the chance? He's shady as hell

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

We’ll still have the option. Don’t worry.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

4 and then read his mind.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

4 and then read his mind.
This.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"All right then, never mind."

Evertree posted:

"Was there anything else?" he asks, not sure how successfully he answered your question.

I think there's something Lamuel isn't telling me. I want to read his mind. (Mana: 10)

Evertree posted:

You know there's more going on in this place than people are letting on and perhaps the one who holds the answers is the son of the owner…

You find the surface of Lamuel's mind to be surprisingly open as you perform the subtle hand gestures required to cast the spell and quickly you have access to his thoughts.

I see a charming elf with black eyes gazing at me. I feel the touch of a hand as it brushes against me. I feel a racing in my chest. My heart pulsing like it might explode. Adrenaline coursing through my body.

And then I feel lips. A kiss. I feel my whole body tingle at the fingers in my hair.

You blink dazedly. Lamuel's mind is currently occupied with thoughts of what could have been in the stable. You can't tell if the emotions now whirling in your head are coming from you or him but you push them aside. You didn't cast this spell to spy on his feelings, and it doesn't look like you'll be getting anything else from him this way.
Guile %+2
Magic %+2
Mana -10

Alas, it looks like we're too distracting for mind-reading. That would, of course, have worked if we'd chosen different options earlier.

Evertree posted:

What would you like to ask?

1. "Do you know how this place came to be built?"
2. "What sort of people usually stay here?"
3. Before I ask any more questions, I'll offer him a gold piece to loosen his tongue.
4. That's everything I wanted to ask for now.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 7, 2021

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

4, I think we're done here.

The inn's history is probably pointless given that he's just a young hired hand, we already asked about guests, and he already likes us so bribery doesn't seem like it'll do much. We're probably still on a timelimit before dinner, so we can probably find something more productive to do with our last few minutes.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
4 this guy is useless

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

We're done here.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That's everything I wanted to ask for now.

Evertree posted:

You thank Lamuel for his help and he responds with an obliging nod.

"Not at all. I have to go and do a few more things before dinner now but if you need help with anything else, you can ask Wen in the dining hall."

Then as you turn to leave, your mind still wandering back to the moment in the stable, he blurts out, "So if you perhaps had some time later…"

You turn back around. He falters, suddenly unsure of how to finish his own sentence.

"What I meant to say," he finally manages, "is that if you wanted to spend some more time together later… well, I should like that."

You can't help smiling as you tell him that you would like that too.

Where would you like to go now?

[Note - You have 13 minutes left until dinner.]

1. Check out Room 4.
2. Go back and talk to Daisy.
3. Go back to Isaria.
4. Go and see if Mrs. Dupree is still in the lobby.
5. Go to the dining hall.

Well, someone likes us at least.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Room 4

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Yeah, let’s check out room 4

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Room 4 it is.

Evertree posted:

You walk up to the door to room 4. It is the room adjacent to your own, although the door is located around the corner from yours, opposite the top of the stairs.

What would you like to do?

1. I'll hammer on the door.
2. Break into the room.
3. I'd rather explore somewhere else.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I’ll update as soon as someone votes. :P

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

I don't think we have any intel on who, if anyone, is staying in here, so I say we should just hammer on the door.

OOrochi fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 9, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Hammer.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

3 Leave to go check out the dining hall, it's the only place we haven't checked.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'll hammer on the door.

Evertree posted:

You start to bang on the wood as loudly as you can, creating quite a racket.

With all the commotion, the door to number 4 now opens just a crack to reveal a most intimidating sight.

The occupant of the room stands over six and a half feet tall with the battered green skin of an orc. His hair is long, black, and straggly, and from his bottom jaw, two large tusk-like teeth protrude over his lips. If you hadn't seen a half-orc before you might be intimidated, but fortunately this guy is not your first. The offspring of a human and one of the barbaric orcs that roam the southern lands, half-orcs tend to occupy the underworld of most settlements, and Flom was no different. They tend to have short tempers and the strength to back it up.

After the fire, you definitely had a lot of dealings with their kind.

Whether you want to get involved with another one now is quite another thing.

How do you feel about half-orcs?

1. I love them! They don't suffer fools and neither do I.
2. I have respect for them. At least you know where you stand with a half-orc.
3. I don't like them. Interactions with half-orcs usually end in violence.
4. I have no opinion.
How does Glangwen feel about casual racial stereotyping?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

2. Respect half-orcs for being straightforward.

Also, anybody want to take odds on whether we get our rear end kicked in this interaction? That 25/100 Combat stat isn't exactly giving me a lot of confidence that Glangwen can handle a pissed off 6'6" half-orc.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
1, maybe we can increase our kiss counter

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Pretty sure we’re about to get wrecked though. Good thing we didn’t try to break in at least.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Do we love them or respect them?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Respect, the other seems patronising.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I have respect for them. At least you know where you stand with a half-orc.

Evertree posted:

This one certainly isn't hiding his suspicion from you as he fixes you with his beetle-black eyes.

"What?" he asks.

1. "Hi, my name's Glangwen. Nice to meet you!"
2. "Excuse me sir, my name's Glangwen and I wondered if I might speak with you about something."
3. "Nothing. Sorry. Wrong door."

The thing I thought happened here actually has a more complicated trigger, so I'll still show it at the end.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 10, 2021

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

2, let's be polite rather than overwhelmingly chipper.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"Excuse me sir, my name's Glangwen and I wondered if I might speak with you about something."

Evertree posted:

The half-orc's stern glare doesn't change as you introduce yourself.

Instead he barely lets you finish before saying, "Not interested," and shuts the door right in your face.

Do you want to knock on the door again?

1. Yes, that was rude!
2. No, it's clear this guy doesn't want to talk to me.
??? -5

In other news, Lux: City of Secrets, the next game in the series, has just got a release date for the 3rd of May.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

He ignored our knocks the first time, now slams the door in our face. We also don’t have any specific reason to want to talk to him, just a vague “hey, sup”. Might as well take the drat hint.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yep. If you get to the point where you either hammer on or break into Room 4, there's no winning.

No, it's clear this guy doesn't want to talk to me.

Evertree posted:

Where would you like to go now?

[Note - You have 12 minutes left until dinner.]

1. Go back and talk to Daisy.
2. Go back to Isaria.
3. Go and see if Mrs. Dupree is still in the lobby.
4. Go to the dining hall.
5. Go back outside now that Lamuel is no longer there
6. I'm done with exploring. I'm just going to rest until dinner time.

Back to the ol' choice of locations.

Just an update on our stats at this point:

Stats posted:

Current Stats

Character
Name: Glangwen Ogg
Race: Elf
Weapon: Staff
Stats:
Combat: 25/100
Guile: 14/100
Perception: 67/100
Magic: 52/100
Gold: 11
Mana: 45
Warnings: None

Suspects
(Suspects with a higher % will be more co-operative)
Owner: Laisa: 33/100
Gardener: Lamuel: 50/100
???: 18/100
???: 18/100
???: 8/100
???: 5/100
Daisy Thorne: 22/100
Isaria Evenveil: 23/100

Romance: You definitely have a connection with Mrs. Dupree's son, Lamuel. You hope it could turn into something more.

Clues
1 - Luxican official Gregori Risenfaal was murdered in room 3 a week ago with a wooden hair comb.
2 - Mr. Dupree died at the inn, 5 years ago, falling into the wood cellar.
3 - The mystery of your stolen 3 gold pieces has been resolved.
4 - ?
5 - The elf in room 6, Isaria Evenveil, is a VIP.
6 - ?
7 - ?
8 - ?
9 - ?
10 - ?
11 - ?
12 - ?
13 - ?
14 - ?
15 - ?

Evertree posted:

Backstory
You grew up in Flom, the oldest of three in a family of elves. Comfortable living alongside nature, your true goal in life was always to become a dedicated shaman.

When a fire destroyed your family home, you and your father were the only survivors. You were forced to start all over again, living on the streets. It all seemed so hopeless until you learned of an opportunity in a far off city, a chance to get your life back on track.

And so with nothing to your name but your pony, your trusty staff, and your keen instincts, you set off on the road to Lux, and that is how you came to arrive at Evertree Inn. It seemed as good a place as any to stop for the night….

Ending:
Check back here at The End.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
3 :wave: