Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
On the off chance that this is not a troll, 1000hp is not easy and you're going to spend a lot of money achieving that, especially if you are, you know, asking questions like this. Which indicates that you don't have any idea where to start on this project.

I do know one of the better JTEC ECU tuners in the country though, and he's done a bunch of vipers including ones with forced induction. So if you actually start down this path post pics and what your build plan is and I'll send it on over to him and see if he wants anything to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Even stock, a Viper's back end very much wants to be in front of the front end. Buy the car first, see if you can live with it, then worry about trying to break 1000hp without grenading the motor or sliding into a daycare.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

On the off chance that this is not a troll, 1000hp is not easy and you're going to spend a lot of money achieving that, especially if you are, you know, asking questions like this. Which indicates that you don't have any idea where to start on this project.

I do know one of the better JTEC ECU tuners in the country though, and he's done a bunch of vipers including ones with forced induction. So if you actually start down this path post pics and what your build plan is and I'll send it on over to him and see if he wants anything to do with it.

Do you think it could be done for around $50k? At this point this is all speculative, I think it would be cool to own a 1000 hp viper, and saw some used vipers online that go for around $50k, so the thought of a sub $100k, 1000 hp viper piqued my curiosity.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You won't make it past the first tree without giving it a big ol hug.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

human garbage bag posted:

Do you think it could be done for around $50k? At this point this is all speculative, I think it would be cool to own a 1000 hp viper, and saw some used vipers online that go for around $50k, so the thought of a sub $100k, 1000 hp viper piqued my curiosity.

You will end up as an actual literal human garbage bag if you get a 1000hp viper because you think it would be "cool to own". Sorry my dude.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

I think you're on the right track... buy two and connect them somehow. It will probably involve pulleys, so I'd start here https://www.explainthatstuff.com/pulleys.html

If it were me I would set the front wheels of the back viper on the trunk of the front viper (they are rear wheel drive) and connect the controls with pulleys (lots of pulleys)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

spankmeister posted:

You will end up as an actual literal human garbage bag if you get a 1000hp viper because you think it would be "cool to own". Sorry my dude.

It might be cool to own, but driving it probably won't be enjoyable or perhaps even possible.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Dance posted:

Even stock, a Viper's back end very much wants to be in front of the front end. Buy the car first, see if you can live with it, then worry about trying to break 1000hp without grenading the motor or sliding into a daycare.

Theoretically, if the transmission was flipped so the wheels spun the opposite way, then would driving the viper in reverse be extra stable, since driving it normal is rather unstable?

Basically turning it into a front wheel drive car.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Theoretically, if the transmission was flipped so the wheels spun the opposite way, then would driving the viper in reverse be extra stable, since driving it normal is rather unstable?

Yes, Go for it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
op how much experience do you have with high power RWD cars

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

i will do it for 100k but only if you go back to fyad or byob or wherever you crawled out of

its called a dv 1v1r1f swap

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

We all have to start somewhere. And just because I don't have driving experience doesn't mean I'm like a 16 year old kid, I've read and watched a lot so I have a healthy respect for powerful RWD cars.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

We all have to start somewhere. And just because I don't have driving experience doesn't mean I'm like a 16 year old kid, I've read and watched a lot so I have a healthy respect for powerful RWD cars.

Make sure to save room in your Viper for a fire pit and French doors.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Zero. This reads like a troll who's trying to build up to some "GOTCHYA!" thing in the thread. And too many people are falling for it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

Zero. This reads like a troll who's trying to build up to some "GOTCHYA!" thing in the thread. And too many people are falling for it.

Just having fun posting man.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opMYVTkRmec

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

good! i suggest you buy a viper and drive it stock for a little bit then you can mod it when you get bored :)

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

I actually think it's more like Dunning-Kruger, where I got a little into cars and did some research, and got the impression that a "cheap" 1000 hp viper is actually possible, so I am now asking here because I'm aware that it might be too good to be true.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

I think human garbage bag is on the up-and-up and should wire $100k to his favorite poster ITT and they will build him a 1000hp car (that is also quiet so the people who put up the neon yellow kids-playing signs on their curb wont shake their fists at him)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I actually think it's more like Dunning-Kruger, where I got a little into cars and did some research, and got the impression that a "cheap" 1000 hp viper is actually possible, so I am now asking here because I'm aware that it might be too good to be true.

And if that were the case you would have led off with those three details....cheap, 1000hp, Viper....not the lazy trolling and stringing information bit you're trying to pull.

You really should have spent an extra 5 minutes to come up with a plan here. You get a D- in trolling for today.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I feel the 1000hp rwd question would be best off if the OP made a new thread so we can answer his questions in a detailed and well laid out manner.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

buy a prius

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

And if that were the case you would have led off with those three details....cheap, 1000hp, Viper....not the lazy trolling and stringing information bit you're trying to pull.

You really should have spent an extra 5 minutes to come up with a plan here. You get a D- in trolling for today.

I was pulled into discussing specifics because posters asked for specifics.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nah, you were doing pretty well overall until the comment about driving backwards. please don't do the puppetmaster thing next cause it's really cringey

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah I was like 75% sure you were a troll by the second post and 99% by the third, you suck at this.

Even these trolls were better and more entertaining than you, and they sucked and were obvious too:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3665545
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777544
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3713894

This kind of question/build really needs its own thread anyways.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Safety Dance posted:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

taqueso posted:

buy a prius

Chevy Volt is better

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Seconding the Hayabusa, so we can at least shunt your thread into the subforum.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

*looks devil in the eye*

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PainterofCrap posted:

*looks devil in the eye*

Like a Rock! I was flat as I could be.
Like a Rock! A giant boulder flattened me.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

*looks devil in the eye*

Ran when parked.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Need a borescope to verify 1,200 miles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

*looks devil in the eye*

a small boulder the size of a large boulder.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
Been a while since I last bought a car and I remember being able to get an unlimited-for-x-days CarFax or AutoCheck to use during the process. Am I right that those sorts of deals have been sunsetted? Seems like now both just offer bundles with a lower cost per report.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep, those unlimited ones were unsurprisingly heavily abused, and pretty much every backdoor option (i.e. using a dealership's website that didn't limit reports to cars in their actual inventory) has been closed for years.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yep, those unlimited ones were unsurprisingly heavily abused, and pretty much every backdoor option (i.e. using a dealership's website that didn't limit reports to cars in their actual inventory) has been closed for years.

I think it was the default pricing model, or at least common. I remember apparently AI was asked by Carfax not to socialize them out. Before that there were tons of threads like " I have 28 days left, who needs a Carfax?" Etc

Onto a question of my own: has anybody used a Wankel as an electricity generator? Not a serious question, I was just thinking a rotary is supposed to be good at running at higher rpms, etc.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Charles posted:

Onto a question of my own: has anybody used a Wankel as an electricity generator? Not a serious question, I was just thinking a rotary is supposed to be good at running at higher rpms, etc.

Why would you want higher RPMs for a generator? They're also not very fuel efficient.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Charles posted:

I think it was the default pricing model, or at least common. I remember apparently AI was asked by Carfax not to socialize them out. Before that there were tons of threads like " I have 28 days left, who needs a Carfax?" Etc

LiquidPiston is a CT based company working in a DARPA contract for this. Their design is a bit different than a normal wankel in that the combustion chamber rotates. Looks kinda promising

And yeah a generator will usually rotate a fairly fixed rpm where it’s most efficient- usually but not always designed to be a multiple of the grid frequency in your current area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

While asking of you should buy a 1000hp viper is in fact a stupid question, its a stupid question worth its own thread. Lets get back to helping goons fix their cars, thanks.