Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i'd show up at road a for dumb poo poo's coupon kravitz concert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Razzled posted:

i'd show up at road a for dumb poo poo's coupon kravitz concert

A single ticket is $450,000

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
The company I used to work for was actually developing an easily removable battery pack for a 125cc equivalent scooter. The thought wasn't so much for extending range by easy switch outs but for people who didn't live in a house, or have a garage, or a street accessible plug so that they could take their battery pack into their apartment and charge. The project didn't get to finish because our parent company ran into some cashflow issues and when you're looking at a spreadsheet of what costs a lot of money and does not bring in a lot of money a fledgling electric vehicle company is pretty easy line item to cross off, especially back in like 2012 or so when this happened. We had a deal going with BMW on this project but they were basically bleeding us for information until ultimately the company shut down. I'm not totally versed on the business end of this but gist I got at the time is that they'd give us a task with a deadline but then keep changing the scope of the task so that it became harder and harder to complete within the deadline and because of the contract we were in with them their end goal was that they could say we were in breech of contract for not delivering so that they could get out of working with us in the end. All the while they are getting a pretty good look at the technologies we were using and how. If you check out the thing posted in this link https://www.electrive.com/2018/10/29/electric-scooter-so-safe-you-may-not-need-a-helmet/ that is basically what we were working on. There were many renderings of that scooter setup with the canopy and all that all around our building. For anybody that might be interested the company I was with was Vectrix. I worked there twice for about 4 years each.

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 5, 2021

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh hey I remember that thing. LMAO at riding that without a helmet, no matter how strapped in or whatever you are. But also nice design that makes it impossible to comfortably ride it wearing a helmet. Props.

The whole removeable battery that you can take inside to charge is the tipping point for me. I don't have a garage, and don't want to rely on charging stations at work. Considered getting a used brammo years ago since it had the suitcases, but judged them to be way too loving heavy for how often I'd have to charge.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

bigbillystyle posted:

The company I used to work for was actually developing an easily removable battery pack for a 125cc equivalent scooter. The thought wasn't so much for extending range by easy switch outs but for people who didn't live in a house, or have a garage, or a street accessible plug so that they could take their battery pack into their apartment and charge. The project didn't get to finish because our parent company ran into some cashflow issues and when you're looking at a spreadsheet of what costs a lot of money and does not bring in a lot of money a fledgling electric vehicle company is pretty easy line item to cross off, especially back in like 2012 or so when this happened. We had a deal going with BMW on this project but they were basically bleeding us for information until ultimately the company shut down. I'm not totally versed on the business end of this but gist I got at the time is that they'd give us a task with a deadline but then keep changing the scope of the task so that it became harder and harder to complete within the deadline and because of the contract we were in with them their end goal was that they could say we were in breech of contract for not delivering so that they could get out of working with us in the end. All the while they are getting a pretty good look at the technologies we were using and how. If you check out the thing posted in this link https://www.electrive.com/2018/10/29/electric-scooter-so-safe-you-may-not-need-a-helmet/ that is basically what we were working on. There were many renderings of that scooter setup with the canopy and all that all around our building. For anybody that might be interested the company I was with was Vectrix. I worked there twice for about 4 years each.

Oh man. A friend of mine just upgraded his Vectrix with Chevy Bolt cells.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Electricmotorcycles/comments/gv140v/update_on_vectrix_lithium_conversion_details_in/

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Gogoro have deployed swappable batteries for electric scoots in Asia. Honda announced their version of the tech back in 2019.

It’s definitely a thing. Especially for the city dwelling 125 sized market.

The question i have is, how do you get it adopted? Bikes in Asia are a bigger thing than here which I presume is one of the reasons gogoro works.

What’s going to convince every petrol station to stock them? It might be worth it in the denser city centres where bikes are predominantly ridden to, but as you move out you’re going to get a lower density of bikes.

Is the petrol station on the edge of rural/surburbia going to stock a battery rack for the 3 bikes it sees a week?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Horse Clocks posted:

Gogoro have deployed swappable batteries for electric scoots in Asia. Honda announced their version of the tech back in 2019.

The question i have is, how do you get it adopted? Bikes in Asia are a bigger thing than here which I presume is one of the reasons gogoro works.

What’s going to convince every petrol station to stock them? It might be worth it in the denser city centres where bikes are predominantly ridden to, but as you move out you’re going to get a lower density of bikes.

Is the petrol station on the edge of rural/surburbia going to stock a battery rack for the 3 bikes it sees a week?

It doesn't have to be petrol stations - no reason why it couldn't just be something like an Amazon locker at a car park, supermarket or just on the street. Obviously in that case you need some kind of automatic verification that what you put in is actually a battery, but with an industry standard that seems like a pretty easy thing to do.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Horse Clocks posted:

I dunno about the suburban fringe but "a counter/locker/machine where batteries are exchanged" is exactly the sort of near-zero-effort thing that weird small town combination businesses like to have in my area. Like in my last town the post office had a lotto counter and a gas bottle cage and an ice locker and had just put in an ATM so they could amend their signs out on the highway like "NORTH BUGARUP FUEL POST GAS ICE AND NAIL SALON NOW WITH LAST ATM FOR 97KM" and it must work because they all keep doing it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Horse Clocks posted:

Anyone who owns a gas station and pays attention to their market knows that electric is coming and it’s better to get onboard and figure out how to make money with it now

What percentage of gas station owners does that represent? No idea

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't know about you plebes but I intend to get my batteries from a shady guy with a storage locker in the bad part of town. No idea where these "easily removed from vehicles" batteries come from, but they are cheap!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Making the single most expensive component of a bike easily removable can in no way backfire.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Horse Clocks posted:

Legislation.

As the current political climate(heh) is, there will be laws promoting electric transport vs gasoline. Motorcycle battery banks will likely be subsidized or in other ways promoted for gas stations to have.

Here in Norway some of the bigger gas station franchises has electric charging as default.
It's the place you fuel your vehicle no matter the energy storage medium.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
If Honda, Yamaha, Piaggio/Aprilia/Moto Guzzi and KTM adopt the same standard and actually build bikes with those packs, I would expect to be able to go to any of those dealerships and maybe some of the large automotive shop chains and swap out batteries, It wouldn't be like having them at every gas station but even rural communities will have a Honda Powersports dealership somewhere.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

It seems like it's easier for them to develop a standard battery pack size and just adopt CCS charging infrastructure. Not everywhere will have a battery pack exchange but everywhere has electricity to DCFC.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What do you what to bet that the standard will define voltage, current, and connectors, but not the physical form factor of the battery, so all the production side stuff is interchangeable for manufacturers but the actual completed batteries themselves are not.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

What do you what to bet that the standard will define voltage, current, and connectors, but not the physical form factor of the battery, so all the production side stuff is interchangeable for manufacturers but the actual completed batteries themselves are not.

I will bet everything.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Danm it. I'm sure you're right.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

For scooters/mopeds, the system will work brilliantly, although you may have to sacrifice some of the under seat storage space.
But for larger stuff, there is a whole stack of issues. For sports bikes, active cooling might be necessary, and in most cases you also have the awkward form factor of 'stuffing as many cells in there as possible' to get an acceptable range. Same with cars. Getting rid of the heat is a serious engineering task, that is already consuming quite a lot of space in a conventional electric car. If you'd split the battery up into smaller units, each with coolant fittings that can be plugged in and out several hundreds or thousands of times, and foolproof electric contacts, it would really eat into the range of the whole battery system (when you keep the dimensions and/or weight fixed).

As of yet, most sports bike batteries are where normally the engine would have been, and the weight is in that ball park too.
That kinda rules out swapping batteries on bigger bikes.

I'm not too worried about people wrecking the batteries by deep discharge and flogging them. If you get a battery back 90ish % discharged, then the charger could completely discharge it, and then charge it fully. Then you know the precise capacity of the battery pack, and when it is out of spec you lock it out and ping the supplier to replace it. Recording the number of cycles is also pretty easy to engineer in. Give it a real time clock running on a separate battery like the cmos battery in you PC, and you can also register if the user has left it deep discharged and fine them for that. For instance when you drain the battery to an indicated 0% (it'll have some overhead so it's actually at 5% or so), then leave it for a few months so it will actually be at 0% charge - that will hurt the battery and in such cases it should be cycled and if it has gone bad, the previous user charged for that.

The battery can also communicate with the vehicle to display the amount of charge in it, so you have an expectation of how much range you can expect from that specific battery.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 6, 2021

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

What if they made the batteries really small, like long AA batteries, so you could dump them out when they discharge, and literally fill up your electricity again?

You dump them out by releasing a vise-like mechanism which holds the mass of batteries in place between their contacts, then they fall out when you open a chute at the bottom of the bike/car/whatever. Then you close the exit chute and open the fill-up chute, and connect the battery delivery tube and it streams in like 200-500 of these batteries in an orderly fashion, like loading a GAU-19 magazine. Then you clamp them in the contact plates and you ride away, and the discharged batteries get taken to some kind of charge station to get filled up.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Slide Hammer posted:

What if they made the batteries really small, like long AA batteries, so you could dump them out when they discharge, and literally fill up your electricity again?

You dump them out by releasing a vise-like mechanism which holds the mass of batteries in place between their contacts, then they fall out when you open a chute at the bottom of the bike/car/whatever.

I propose that they do this but use non-rechargeable batteries and just eject the spent ones sideways at the time they are expended. Obviously use a small camera and cloud enabled ai machine learning computer to make sure it's not going to hit anyone or do it while you're leaned over so it bounces up and smashes your kneecap or whatever ("probably not starting any roadside fires" software update promised for next year at minimal cost to the consumer).

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 6, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know you’re joking but if you could prove which industry it disrupts, some Bay Area bazinga would toss you 10 mil for the idea

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I know you’re joking but if you could prove which industry it disrupts, some Bay Area bazinga would toss you 10 mil for the idea

I have increased efficiency and thus shareholder value by predisrupting future industries.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I have increased efficiency and thus shareholder value by predisrupting future industries.

:homebrew:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I propose that they do this but use non-rechargeable batteries and just eject the spent ones sideways at the time they are expended. Obviously use a small camera and cloud enabled ai machine learning computer to make sure it's not going to hit anyone or do it while you're leaned over so it bounces up and smashes your kneecap or whatever ("probably not starting any roadside fires" software update promised for next year at minimal cost to the consumer).

Hipster version: huge rotating cylinder like a revolver, when the battery is dead you eject it with a handle which rotates the cylinder to the next.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gorson posted:

Hipster version: huge rotating cylinder like a revolver, when the battery is dead you eject it with a handle which rotates the cylinder to the next.

Like a kick start lever. And it always takes a few tries to kick the cylinder over because your home built electro-steampunk motorbike is trash and a new Honda will rotate the cylinder automatically.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Ever growing subscription service program in China rabble rabble

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

:clint: this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QuqGtpxMQ0

Look I get that he's spreading *some* good news but he's somehow forgotten:

1.) The H-D LiveWire exists

2.) The fact that the Lightnings don't really exist

edit- I've got more Lighting drama coming

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

LodeRunner posted:

Counterpoint https://amp.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/64hmvv/it_looks_like_youtube_motovlogger_yammie_noob_has/

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

LodeRunner posted:

His schtick is getting really tiring.

inb4 "turn on your monitor".

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat it you guys tricked me into clicking on a yammienoob video and now it's going to gently caress up my youtube suggestions

mewse
May 2, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

drat it you guys tricked me into clicking on a yammienoob video and now it's going to gently caress up my youtube suggestions

Be sure to stay to the end where he yells "keep watching yammie noob" into the camera 15 times

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

absolutely not, this is the only YN video I want to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYmqZBDk_eI

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I'm always irritated by how much YT suggests this rear end in a top hat even after I've asked them not to.

What ended up happening with the Porsche guy? I know there was some physical injury and some insurance bullshit.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

captainOrbital posted:

I'm always irritated by how much YT suggests this rear end in a top hat even after I've asked them not to.

What ended up happening with the Porsche guy? I know there was some physical injury and some insurance bullshit.

I forget, what all did Yammie Noob do again? He hit the Porsche and I think there was a video he crashed into a sidewalk trying to pass a car on the right?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Was he the guy that tossed a bunch of cards at some random bystanders then proceeded to immediately crash into the back of a parked car?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Was he the guy that tossed a bunch of cards at some random bystanders then proceeded to immediately crash into the back of a parked car?

he's e-famous/infamous for target fixating into an oncoming yellow Porsche while riding way over his limits on the street

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Ok I didn't know any of the backstory so I feel less bad for being pissed about his shoddy video.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Didn't he also try to compare himself to Rossi after one of his dumb crashes?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My memory is rusty but I believe he started off on 300cc bike, had it for a few months and got a Daytona 675, and made some video about don't start riding on small bikes. He didn't have the Daytona long until he totaled it being stupid, then he bought another one which he then totaled when he hit the Porsche. To top things off, he didn't a lot of insurance and I remember thinking the Porsche driver got hosed over somehow on medical bills or his car. Although if you're driving a Porsche I'd hope you have adequate insurance for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Why anyone takes or ever took yamminoob seriously is beyond me.

Outside of the :drama: angle obvs