Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

theironjef posted:

It feels like he's mad that all these Cyclops fights keep using eye lasers.

THEY'RE CONCUSSIVE FORCE BLASTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Was it Ewing's Ultimates where America Chavez used her powers to open a portal to the dimension where Cyclops' beams come from to blast some baddies?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

theironjef posted:

In a similar out of the comics problem, my brother messaged me this morning angry that a lot of the big fight was just shooting magic beams at each other. I get that complaint for Agatha, but shooting magic beams is literally Scarlet Witch's original and primary superpower, right? She shoots hex bolts. It's never been especially well defined what those are exactly, but one thing's for sure, they're her specialty.

Completely unrelated, but it's still hilarious to me Storm was able to clown him without any powers and he's supposed to be the most tactically minded X-man.

You have a loving weather goddess who is better than your best when she isn't being a weather goddess.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

took me a minute to pin it down but now that i recognize it it's funny that luthor in S&L is wearing the doom slayer armor

Just looked it up and you're really not exaggerating

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

My issue issue is, in the comics, Agatha Harkness was never a villain.
They can handwave that away:

Wanda breaks the 'spell' the Darkhold placed under Ags. Turns out she's supposed to amplify magical potential, not suck it dry. The darkhold instead perverted her skill to gain more power.

Not great but not impossible.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

theironjef posted:

In a similar out of the comics problem, my brother messaged me this morning angry that a lot of the big fight was just shooting magic beams at each other. I get that complaint for Agatha, but shooting magic beams is literally Scarlet Witch's original and primary superpower, right? She shoots hex bolts. It's never been especially well defined what those are exactly, but one thing's for sure, they're her specialty.

i kinda get this complaint because our first experiences with mcu magic are batshit crazy stuff from dr strange and infinity war, and even though agatha keeps harping on magic magic magic, all we see get are generic wavy power blasts. i get it's probably a budgetary issue but it looks a lot less cool that what we've already been exposed to

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Agatha's only crimes were killing a bunch of witches and trying to stop someone who was foretold to end the world. Is she a villain?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I mean Agatha did more to spring the population of a fairly crummy looking New Jersey town than SWORD did, she was just a dick to the main character while she did it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vince MechMahon posted:

Agatha's only crimes were killing a bunch of witches and trying to stop someone who was foretold to end the world. Is she a villain?

i mean obviously this is speculation on my part, but she's been around for hundreds of years, doesn't seem to mind killing, and was in possession of the darkhold, gonna guess she's probably left some bodies in her wake in the interim period

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

i kinda get this complaint because our first experiences with mcu magic are batshit crazy stuff from dr strange and infinity war, and even though agatha keeps harping on magic magic magic, all we see get are generic wavy power blasts. i get it's probably a budgetary issue but it looks a lot less cool that what we've already been exposed to

I mean... the whole hex was magic, though? We saw way more cool poo poo than 'just wavy power blasts'. She turned a whole town monochrome!

And the Dr Strange stuff felt like weird half-measures to try and couch it as pseudo-sci-fi. (And the odd insistence over the last few years to give Strange kung-fu or a sword or axe so he can just hit dudes instead of casting rad spells)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i guess it wasn't clear but i meant specifically in the finale, because that's what the quoted post was referring to

and all the environmental manipulation in dr strange and everything during the strange/thanos fight in IW was way crazier than kung fu stuff

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I was thinking more about the weird flail things they all had in the first Dr Strange when I mentioned the kung fu thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh yeah, i guess that didn't bug me at the time because it in comics he's always yelling about the crimson bands of cytorrak which seemed fuctionally the same as the thing he produced in the first house fight, or he when he's guesting in someone else's book they're always going to his house to get some magical weapon

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The bands are usually more of a binding spell, like he waves his hands and they wrap around the bad guy, not magic nunchaku. It's just a trend I noticed from around that one DTV animated movie, it feels like an odd frustration over the idea that a wizard superhero means you can't just have him punch the villain, so let's make it so magic works by punches. Like that one Babylon 5 spin-off where the ship's guns were fired by a lady doing sweet flip-kicks in VR.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gaz-L posted:

that one DTV animated movie
that one Babylon 5 spin-off where the ship's guns were fired by a lady doing sweet flip-kicks in VR.

im intrigued by both of these

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910865/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280453/

Don't be.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I think that was a mostly satisfying conclusion, though I was right that they had too many plates still spinning to completely stick the landing. Solid 8/10, and if they skimped on a lot of the logic stuff to make sure the emotional beats got hit, well, that was the right decision.

Not giving us an instant's glimpse of White Vision after he got restored was the biggest cop-out, I thought -- he's a main character, he deserves his share of closure! The cutaway from him getting his memories back to Vision showing up to help the family was so abrupt that until the final farewell, I honestly thought they were doing a misdirect and it'd been White Vision since then, with Hex Vision having merged/dissolved/just hung back. And White Vision doesn't want to talk to Wanda at all? C'mon.

And I honestly wish they'd just done a handwave to keep the kids around. "Oh haha I fixed the spell", "I'm keeping a tiny portable Hex around each of you", "oh you're tied to me and Vision and since White Vision merged with Hex Vision you're real enough now", "wow it's a mystery", I don't care, whatever. I guess I'm just worried that whatever happens in Dr. Strange 2 won't get enough narrative focus to be satisfying.

And fucksakes, Wanda, turn yourself in to Monica's custody! You can read the evil book in jail too and you kinda deserve to do a bit of time for all this bullshit!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This will be a unpopular opinion for sure but I actually quite liked most of the pew pew lazorz fight and the runes finish. It was charming in its own way.

The finale undeniably failed to deliver on several fronts, but I think people will generally look back favorably on this series. It did a lot to establish a whole lot of characters, and especially Wanda and Vision, as really interesting and engaging, and does set up a lot a bunch of great threads for future stories to follow up on.

For Doctor Strange 2 in particular, I'm really looking forward to how Mordo is going to respond to these events. His vendetta against other sorcerers and unnatural magic was always kinda dumb and weightless in the first film -- why's certain types of magic bad? Because it just is! -- so it'll be cool to see him campaign against an bona fide harbinger of chaos and whatnot, whose unnatural use of magic actually caused a whole lot of problems.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BrianWilly posted:

For Doctor Strange 2 in particular, I'm really looking forward to how Mordo is going to respond to these events. His vendetta against other sorcerers and unnatural magic was always kinda dumb and weightless in the first film -- why's certain types of magic bad? Because it just is! -- so it'll be cool to see him campaign against an bona fide harbinger of chaos and whatnot, whose unnatural use of magic actually caused a whole lot of problems.
Yeah, Mordo's been super vindicated by history between Ebon Maw and now this bullshit. Is he even confirmed for DS2, though? We haven't heard a word about him since the first movie.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah he's confirmed to return

Although, sadly there's been no indication yet that Agatha will be in that film, which kinda sucks 'cuz that's kind of the ideal situation for her to resurface.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 6, 2021

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Can you imagine the pop in the movie theater if that happens, though?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I cannot imagine anything in a movie theater right now :sigh:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe Agatha will join the Thunderbolts

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

site posted:

Maybe Agatha will join the Thunderbolts

Do Dark Avengers and we suddenly have a family-friendly MCU version of Ultimate Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Completely unrelated, but it's still hilarious to me Storm was able to clown him without any powers and he's supposed to be the most tactically minded X-man.

You have a loving weather goddess who is better than your best when she isn't being a weather goddess.

That's always a problem when people get to write their pet characters.

Like Deathstroke beating the entire Justice League.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Back in the Halloween episode The Incredibles was playing at the movie theater and I guess everyone in the Wanda-Vision household really liked it since they practiced their group shot

Barry Convex posted:

-the finale takes pains to make clear that Wanda really has hurt people and is responsible for it, but she doesn't actually do much of anything in the way of taking accountability for her actions, she just flies away while feeling bad about it

I mean, she pretty much says (correctly, I'd say)that nothing she does would ever change how they feel about her, so it's not like just volunteering to go to jail would help. The best thing for her to do is get the hell out of there and try to atone via world-saving down the road.... that is if she doesn't totally break bad after studying that Darkhold too much.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

Just looked it up and you're really not exaggerating

It looks so much like it that I wouldn't be surprised if WB gets a nasty note from Microsoft.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The last time they tried to jail Wanda for her actions it started Civil War.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I liked what they were going for and was glad it was more or less what I thought it was going to be, but I thought the exection was terrible, that last episode really dragged, looked awful and just had so many excruciating moments.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Also it's not like enslaving a whole town for a week is the sort of thing where the state of New Jersey is all set to arrest and sentence her to three days jail and some community service. The trial alone would drag on for years. Plus imagine the bad publicity during discovery when it turns out the Salem witch trials were actually about witches and not just horrific religious fervor murders. And more likely she'd just get disappeared to some government site again.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Later had it revealed that he either threw it so he could go with his family so he could abandon them or it was due to Madelyne making him throw it

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So are people generally disappointed by the finale? I suppose my feeling is just based on raised expectation, i thought the show would be more meaningful. The breakout into everyone fighting someone else so neatly, Haywood being a literal Duke of Hazards villain down to the comical car crash, things ending in beams, eh. Agnes just monologing....it was pretty tepidly done.

Whatever. But its a shame.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The United States posted:

Agents of Shield spoilers: this is what the Darkhold of Darkness: The Darkening

looked like

lol this looks like a middle schooler's notebook

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shageletic posted:

So are people generally disappointed by the finale? I suppose my feeling is just based on raised expectation, i thought the show would be more meaningful. The breakout into everyone fighting someone else so neatly, Haywood being a literal Duke of Hazards villain down to the comical car crash, things ending in beams, eh. Agnes just monologing....it was pretty tepidly done.

It was kind of dully safe as most MCU stuff is but I liked it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

I thought it was pretty great, maybe I just didn't have my expectations as high as others. Like, I never expected any sort of X-Men/mutant/multiverse twists like a lot of people in this thread/the internet at large did, the most I thought would happen was a Dr. Strange cameo and the minute Agatha said she'd become more powerful than the Sorceror Supreme I was like "Well, I guess he's not showing" I think the only thing I was really disappointed about was White Vision just peacing out after getting all his memories restored. Like, I get it, it would kind of ruin the moment of Wanda having to undo the Hex and wipe out Hex-Vision and the kids if White Vision was right there to comfort her, but they didn't really give him a reason to go. Just give me a line about his memories conflicting with his programmed directive, or something about how having all of his memories doesn't make him love Wanda again, I don't know, all I know is that the way the show presents it it makes no sense for him to just leave everyone in danger from the military and a drat witch. Also maybe one of those post-credits scenes could show what he's doing?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

TwoPair posted:

I think the only thing I was really disappointed about was ... Also maybe one of those post-credits scenes could show what he's doing?

We didn't really need a scene to tell me Monica was going to space. Should have replaced that one with something for Vision.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think if you were into the show for the story of Wanda and Vision you're probably pretty happy with it, as I am. If you were into it for potential tie-ins and cameos and other stuff probably not.

I think the people wanting some kind of combination of Mephisto or Nightmare or Doctor Strange or whatever set themselves up for disappointment as there was nothing pointing to that in the series. In fact if Strange showed up at the end to save the day I would have liked it much less as this was Wanda's story not his. He has his movie coming out soon for that part of it. But if you're genuinely bummed by the Quicksilver stuff I totally understand but I don't feel the same way as I was not wanting that stuff anyway.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

As I said, I'm gonna look back fondly on this series. I always liked MCU Wanda as a character, but almost more the idea of her as oppose to her in practice, if that makes any sense. And Age of Ultron had saddled her with some...iffy design decisions that I was very openly critical of even back then, and this show did a lot to recontextualize the character in such a way that I'm really excited to explore even further. And with Vision as well. Now that it's all over, it's really sinking in how good their interactions through this story have been, right up until that final goodbye scene :saddowns:. They might be my current favorite characters in this world. At least, for a couple weeks!

That said, the show has had writing and pacing issues sprinkled throughout and it really comes to bite them in the rear end for the finale. It falls into the things where like, certain parts of the story probably used up more time than it should've, while other parts really needed a bit more attention. (The more I think about the boner, the more bewildering it is, especially since there's not even a follow-up scene to the revelation so it's actually still sort of unclear what really happened and like, why the dude who looks exactly like Fox Quicksilver just so happened to live in the house next to where Vision had planned to surprise Wanda with a deed.)

And there's a question of whether this is even a satisfying conclusion for the narrative this show presented, independent of the wild theories and stunt casting. Is there really any interesting message about grief and trauma here, beyond that it's all just...really sad and traumatic and you just gotta find a way to move on? Wanda ensorcelled and tormented an entire town of people for weeks, and in the end...it's just over, it's just something lovely that happened, welp, moving on?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Wanda did not have to go to jail because she is an absurdly powerful witch with badass magic powers. If I had magic super powers I would also not go to jail and you literally could not make me, even if you were mad at me. Hope this helps.

And I think White Vision peaced out because he is experiencing intense internal conflict at the moment. He is remembering all of his life and love and death and whatnot, as well as coming to terms with his reactivation, but also maybe doesn't have emotions? And is trying to figure out whether his programming obligates him to kill himself, and should he, and how could he even go about doing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SlimGoodbody posted:

Wanda did not have to go to jail because she is an absurdly powerful witch with badass magic powers. If I had magic super powers I would also not go to jail and you literally could not make me, even if you were mad at me. Hope this helps.

And I think White Vision peaced out because he is experiencing intense internal conflict at the moment. He is remembering all of his life and love and death and whatnot, as well as coming to terms with his reactivation, but also maybe doesn't have emotions? And is trying to figure out whether his programming obligates him to kill himself, and should he, and how could he even go about doing it?

All this. Plus the reason the guy looks just like X-Men Quicksilver is because the same actor plays both characters. The people who made the show knew it would get people talking about it. It's stunt casting and it worked on all of you except me, who called it as soon as he showed up. There's no deeper reason.