Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Haha I found the chat where the Proto23 dev talks about the game and it turns out even he says it's early alpha and only 2% done and suggests most people wait a decade before trying to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Blattdorf posted:

I wish NGU Idle would show you the total time to completion for many of the features. How long, for example, does it take to gain one level in Daycare? It's always just "time remaining". I have to guesstimate the effect of various upgrades.

you could always just take a look at it right after putting the item in daycare

and anything other than NGUS or hacks are pretty much uncapped so there really isnt anything unless you want to set a goal

and even for NGUs/Hacks the caps are so high you're gonna probably ignore them

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I initially asked for something with good presentation--preferably like a visual element, like Clickocalypse, but I think I'd like something sort of like Proto23, as it gives me strong ProgressQuest vibes.

If there are games that look like that, with a bit of combat and can stand actually being idle (as opposed to having to upkeep food/hunger 😬 ), then I'd be happy to look at them, too.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

DaveKap posted:

wait a decade

3652 days of offline progression here i come!

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 3, 2021

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

you could always just take a look at it right after putting the item in daycare

So you're telling me I should just take out the item and put it back in real quick every time I want to check?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

perhaps the cat won't notice

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

perhaps the cat won't notice

Maybe she will and open a gate to the kitten zone

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If this isn't a sign of something I dunno what is

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I just assume everything is 12 hours a level

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Been looking into another creative hobby and figured i'd dabble with some programming/coding (is that the same thing?)
This is just for the sake of doing something creative, not with the goal of actually ending up with something useful, but i might as well try to apply it to something i find interesting.
What is the language to learn if i want to make an idler?
Do "standalone" games like NGU/WAMI/leafblower use the same language as browser based ones like synergism/fe00000000000/kittensgame?

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Ineptitude posted:

Been looking into another creative hobby and figured i'd dabble with some programming/coding (is that the same thing?)
This is just for the sake of doing something creative, not with the goal of actually ending up with something useful, but i might as well try to apply it to something i find interesting.
What is the language to learn if i want to make an idler?
Do "standalone" games like NGU/WAMI/leafblower use the same language as browser based ones like synergism/fe00000000000/kittensgame?

Browser-based ones are generally written in JavaScript and have the advantage of being extremely portable and easily shared, nobody has to download an app or anything to run your game. The Incremental Games reddit has a nice central repository for JS game resources here.

I am pretty sure NGU and WAMI are both Unity games; not sure about leaf blower. Unity is an engine and framework that allows you to write portable standalone games of any kind; it has some built in easy UI elements like buttons and input fields that mimic what you might use in a browser. Unity uses the Mono framework internally which means it's compatible with a number of languages but I believe most work in it is done in C#. The advantage of Unity is you get the control over resources and loading that come with being on a native environment; the disadvantage is Unity is a pretty big package and it can be overwhelming if you just want to make an idle game, and people will need to download a native app to try your game, which is more effort / bigger security concern / harder to do at work :v:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

GetDunked posted:

Browser-based ones are generally written in JavaScript and have the advantage of being extremely portable and easily shared, nobody has to download an app or anything to run your game. The Incremental Games reddit has a nice central repository for JS game resources here.

I am pretty sure NGU and WAMI are both Unity games; not sure about leaf blower. Unity is an engine and framework that allows you to write portable standalone games of any kind; it has some built in easy UI elements like buttons and input fields that mimic what you might use in a browser. Unity uses the Mono framework internally which means it's compatible with a number of languages but I believe most work in it is done in C#. The advantage of Unity is you get the control over resources and loading that come with being on a native environment; the disadvantage is Unity is a pretty big package and it can be overwhelming if you just want to make an idle game, and people will need to download a native app to try your game, which is more effort / bigger security concern / harder to do at work :v:

Of course, Javascript is an awful language that's probably harder for a complete beginner to pick up. C# is a lot friendly because it's type safe and uses a much saner object oriented inheritance model. Typescript is a good in-between choice, I'd recommend that over straight JS.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Speaking of the reddit space, someone's taken Cirrial's Shark Game and has been making a mod out of it. https://www.reddit.com/r/incremental_games/comments/lunfji/new_frontiers_a_wip_mod_of_cirrials_shark_game/

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

GetDunked posted:

Unity's main advantage is if you want graphics or want to use your idle game dev experience to pivot into other genres. Javascript is not exactly a language many games are made in exactly. Though they may have Javascript elements depending on how the UI is made.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I've also considered trying an incremental game as a recreational labor but my basic foundation of python seems woefully inadequate for something browser based.

And the math. I'm poo poo for poo poo with math. I haven't even thought about attempting the Blind challenge in NGU.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Of course, Javascript is an awful language that's probably harder for a complete beginner to pick up. C# is a lot friendly because it's type safe and uses a much saner object oriented inheritance model. Typescript is a good in-between choice, I'd recommend that over straight JS.

I'd argue JS is actually easier to get into as a complete beginner. It's just harder to transition to/from other programming languages because of all the insane poo poo it pulls.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

Speaking of the reddit space, someone's taken Cirrial's Shark Game and has been making a mod out of it. https://www.reddit.com/r/incremental_games/comments/lunfji/new_frontiers_a_wip_mod_of_cirrials_shark_game/

That was linked a while back and it's not great. It mostly just nerfs the poo poo out of the recycler so it takes ages to close out a finished run.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

This might be useful:

https://angular.io/tutorial

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
as someone who writes Python and JS for work, JS is... not... awful. Being able to just get stuff going in the browser and being able to just send a HTML file with a script tag in it to friends sounds way better than compiling Unity poo poo. I have an idle game I'm recreationally poking at in JS.

yeah this is way overkill

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
also, do we have enough Idleon players to form a guild, or should I just slum it somewhere? I checked the last few pages and didn't see anything

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

I'd argue JS is actually easier to get into as a complete beginner. It's just harder to transition to/from other programming languages because of all the insane poo poo it pulls.

Agreed, the lack of strong typing is only confusing when you're already used to strongly-typed languages.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

also, do we have enough Idleon players to form a guild, or should I just slum it somewhere? I checked the last few pages and didn't see anything

there is one, called “pizza is free” I believe.

Speaking of, is there a rough guide for where to put talent points? Or would someone spit out a few words on the subject?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Princey posted:

Agreed, the lack of strong typing is only confusing when you're already used to strongly-typed languages.

Isn't that partly solved by Typescript.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MikusR posted:

Isn't that partly solved by Typescript.

All the nerds at work swear by Typescript.

They've all got horror stories about types gone wrong.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1282730/Loop_Hero/

Loop Hero is out. I really enjoyed the demo.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Played about an hour or so and it already owns a lot. Was kind of turned off seeing it described as a "deckbuilding" RPG cause those are kinda getting played out at this point but it's really quite different from what I was expecting. I can see this getting quite addictive over time.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Played about an hour or so and it already owns a lot. Was kind of turned off seeing it described as a "deckbuilding" RPG cause those are kinda getting played out at this point but it's really quite different from what I was expecting. I can see this getting quite addictive over time.

That's weird because I played the demo and I'd consider it neither a deck builder nor an idle game.

Like it's closer to "reverse tower defense" but even that doesn't really do it justice.

Cool game though

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lone Goat posted:

That's weird because I played the demo and I'd consider it neither a deck builder nor an idle game.

Like it's closer to "reverse tower defense" but even that doesn't really do it justice.

Cool game though

Yeah it's not really an idler in the classic sense but it does remind me a lot of mobile games like Postknight which I consider an idle-ish game. I said it in the steam thread already but I'd love a mobile version of Loop Hero.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Lib and let die posted:

And the math. I'm poo poo for poo poo with math. I haven't even thought about attempting the Blind challenge in NGU.

For incremental games, obviously, the mathematics of growth/progession is a thing. But I just wanted to encourage you -- speaking as someone who was first introduced to programming in 1984, still does it both professionally and as a hobby, and is terrible at math -- by telling you that unless you lean toward physics simulations or graphics engines, MOST of programming isn't mathematics. The overwhelming majority of it is logic and data representation/processing.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 5, 2021

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Also for the blind challenge in NGU you can just get beefed up enough to beat it in one/two cycles and not have to worry about losing number.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Epsilon Plus posted:

Accepted you, but for anyone else in need, pizza is free is the place to be!

We're about to hit guild level 20 this weekend, so plenty of slots and good bonuses available.

Chakan posted:

Speaking of, is there a rough guide for where to put talent points? Or would someone spit out a few words on the subject?

For "put the points in these to be the best at x" you'll want the guides over at the Idelon Toolbox:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cY3vg1Z-AgOtIcV128D6kSLQRJE_-MUMtyqW0086Zmk/edit?usp=sharing

It's maintained by the top theory people on Discord and the builds themselves are curated by the #1 top-leveled player so you can trust in their legitimacy, but as a result they tend to focus on idle gains above all else.

There's a few active builds on there, but in general early game you want to have as much accuracy as you need to 100% hit what you're killing or working towards killing, as much weapon power and damage percentage bonus as you can get after that, and at least 1 point in every active skill.

What you focus on after that depends if you're playing active or afk. Levels are more important than anything else, because the higher your level the more talent points you get to spend and the more character slots you unlock.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

postmodifier posted:

Accepted you, but for anyone else in need, pizza is free is the place to be!

We're about to hit guild level 20 this weekend, so plenty of slots and good bonuses available.

Alright then, blowing off this C A T clubhouse and joining the goons as Relative Unit. I've been playing daily & doing all the GP stuff I can.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

mdxi posted:

For incremental games, obviously, the mathematics of growth/progession is a thing. But I just wanted to encourage you -- speaking as someone who was first introduced to programming in 1984, still does it both professionally and as a hobby, and is terrible at math -- by telling you that unless you lean toward physics simulations or graphics engines, MOST of programming isn't mathematics. The overwhelming majority of it is logic and data representation/processing.

I've been a professional software developer for almost 20 years and can barely do basic arithmetic. What you said is entirely accurate.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Yeah I don't know if Loop Hero really qualifies as an incremental game, but it's not a deckbuilder either. I don't think its particular gameplay loop (haha) has a specific title yet. It DOES have the incremental nature of a rogue-lite with the permanent progression and run-based gameplay. It's hard to really nail down since it's an auto-battler, but you're constantly making decisions on gear and sculpting the level for passive bonuses and to control the conditions of combat.

Whatever you call it it's fantastic and will probably appeal to most people who play incremental games while not strictly existing in that category.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I unironically think loop hero's closest genre is citybuilder.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Loop Hero is a really amazing amalgam of several genres in one. It definitely has a bit of incremental gameplay in there. It's not out of the question comparing it to Candy Box. Thinking about it, Stone Story RPG is very similar as well, and people consider that an idle game as well. Genre studies like this are always interesting to me but unfortunately don't really mean anything outside of "should we post about it here."

So just call it a very active incremental game.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 6, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's very obviously a boardbuilder.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

postmodifier posted:

For "put the points in these to be the best at x" you'll want the guides over at the Idelon Toolbox:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cY3vg1Z-AgOtIcV128D6kSLQRJE_-MUMtyqW0086Zmk/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you my friend, the first pie is on me!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

DaveKap posted:

Loop Hero is a really amazing amalgam of several genres in one. It definitely has a bit of incremental gameplay in there. It's not out of the question comparing it to Candy Box. Thinking about it, Stone Story RPG is very similar as well, and people consider that an idle game as well. Genre studies like this are always interesting to me but unfortunately don't really mean anything outside of "should we post about it here."

So just call it a very active incremental game.

I didn't know about Stone Story RPG and I think I might like that kind of game: An RPG where the AI does most of the stuff, but I wouldn't mind a bit of direction/management, as long as losing didn't hinge on me watching it like a hawk (Hence reference to Clickocalpyse2 and Progress Quest). Is Stone Story a good game to try for my first crack at those? Is Loop Hero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

You'd have to watch Loop Hero more than you'd watch Stone Story RPG but both require consistent intervention to play the games.

And neither of them provide offline progression, which I personally think is a requirement of Idle/Incremental/Clicker games. Though the latter does have daily timer stuff.