Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

bigfoot again posted:

Thanks. Honestly having to shift kits around does bother me a bit because I’d like to play in community bands if they ever exist again. The ankle thing is a short tendon so it’s not going to change all that much but I could probably develop some kind of technique to compensate. It’s just a bit of a ballache, but I’ll trying to work out if that’s a bigger ballache than needing a special setup and having to learn to do fills and tom grooves on the left.

Sorry, I know people can’t really figure this out for me but it’s really helpful to hear from better drummers

Fair enough, but honestly playing open-handed is cool. Check out Harry Miree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LDe91feTic

He released this video on tips for converting, and if you leaned into left-foot bass drum you could ignore his entire weird pedal-setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nR49qEdONs

I honestly wish I had learned to play open-handed from the jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

bigfoot again posted:

Thanks. Honestly having to shift kits around does bother me a bit because I’d like to play in community bands if they ever exist again. The ankle thing is a short tendon so it’s not going to change all that much but I could probably develop some kind of technique to compensate. It’s just a bit of a ballache, but I’ll trying to work out if that’s a bigger ballache than needing a special setup and having to learn to do fills and tom grooves on the left.

Sorry, I know people can’t really figure this out for me but it’s really helpful to hear from better drummers

It's definitely a tough decision, and one that I think a lot of drummers (or, ehem percussionists :wotwot: ) can relate to.

Do you just keep practicing more and power through the often lovely work of developing weird muscle groups and muscle memories,
Or do you adjust your equipment around you to make it more comfortable for you, thereby allowing you to play better?

Work smarter or work harder?

I'd say if you want to ultimately be a real solid all-arounder drum set player who plays in public or plays in a band, I'd probably recommend adapting to a standard drum kit. The practice will only make you better for it. But if you're just playing for fun at home then you should literally just do whatever makes you the happiest like AndrewP said.

Real talk though I think having to reprogram my brain to play the toms reversed would be a dealbreaker for me, personally. But I like the idea of playing bass drum with the left foot because I already do that sometimes while I drive :)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Double posting to say that whenever I hear someone plays open handed I immediately assume they're a giant DMB fan and judge them accordingly :colbert:

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

When I first started drumming in jr high band, I didn't have a kit yet. My neighbor down the street did but he was a lefty. We'd flip the high hat and floor tom whenever i wanted to play it. Sometimes I was just too lazy to bother and ended up playing lefty a lot. I mean, i was terrible so it didn't really matter much but when you're starting out, it makes perfect sense that you could train yourself to play in an unconventional manner.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

re: non-trad kit setups, i’m looking at getting a remote hat and putting it between my high and floor toms, under the ride, and i feel like this is a step towards just mirroring my whole kit like Gary Chester 🤔

bigfoot again posted:

if you decide to go the standard righty kit route, hit me up. i’m a drum teacher and one of my specialties is technique, so we could prolly find a way to work with your short tendon to do what you want bass drum-wise

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure everyone reading this thread has already seen this, but it's the first thing I think of when I hear 'remote hihat'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FssULNGSZIA

Also bigfoot, what kind of mobility issues does your tendon thing do to your right ankle? If you decide to try and stick with a traditional setup there are various pedal techniques that use more or less ankle motion, though you mentioned speed as a factor and in most cases the faster you go the more movement you get from the ankle vs moving your whole leg.

e:
DynaSync status: Ordered :ohdear:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 27, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

e:

:hellyeah:

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Jazz Marimba posted:

re: non-trad kit setups, i’m looking at getting a remote hat and putting it between my high and floor toms, under the ride, and i feel like this is a step towards just mirroring my whole kit like Gary Chester 🤔

if you decide to go the standard righty kit route, hit me up. i’m a drum teacher and one of my specialties is technique, so we could prolly find a way to work with your short tendon to do what you want bass drum-wise

Thank you. I might do this.

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm sure everyone reading this thread has already seen this, but it's the first thing I think of when I hear 'remote hihat'

Also bigfoot, what kind of mobility issues does your tendon thing do to your right ankle? If you decide to try and stick with a traditional setup there are various pedal techniques that use more or less ankle motion, though you mentioned speed as a factor and in most cases the faster you go the more movement you get from the ankle vs moving your whole leg.

e:

And thanks... this is super helpful.

Basically it’s the sort of problem you don’t really notice until you start needing physio at 30 because your knee is bending in (because the ankle can’t go forward) and rubbing cartilage. I’d noticed my right calf muscle was way smaller than the left but never thought much of it. So it’s hard for me to play heel down in a standard setup unless I sit way back from the lot.

Mostly I notice it with doubles though. With left foot on kick I can comfortably play Walk This Way at 110. With right foot on kick I can’t play Sweet Home Alabama at 95 because the doubles don’t come out. So it’s not about mega high speeds it’s relatively basic stuff.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Sweet. Let me know if it unlocks effortless sixteenth notes for you too.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

DynaSync status: Acquired! GuitarCenter website said it would take 5 days but I got the 'ready for pickup' email this morning. Haven't been by the studio to set it up yet but it's waiting in my car right now, taunting me :argh:

AndrewP posted:

Sweet. Let me know if it unlocks effortless sixteenth notes for you too.

Will do, I'm eyeballing Blondie's Hangin' on the Telephone real hard right now...

bigfoot again posted:

So it's hard for me to play heel down in a standard setup unless I sit way back from the lot.

It's possible to play quick bass heel-down, but I've never been able to do it and most players I see are heel-up (though that's just more common in rock and metal, heel-down gives you more dynamic control and is more prevalent in jazz).

I'm hoping the direct-drive pedal I just got will help me improve further, but my current technique for quick doubles is to pull my foot back and press the bass pedal about halfway down the board, maybe even further back, then raise my foot slightly while kicking it forward to catch the rebound and kick the pedal down again more towards the front of the footboard. You might look into something similar as that doesn't move your ankle up and down as much. Or be like me and watch this video and despair that we'll never be as good as this :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8sTPNNh6hM

e:
Another Larnell video, this one is just fun to watch :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd_UcjMusUA

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Ok so I’ve been playing around and I think I might have actually found a solution for my bass drum problem

This is probably exciting to nobody else but if I put a 2-3 inch book under my right heel, and try to rebound the beater instead of burying it, I can play much much faster and more comfortably. I think this might actually fix things so thanks everyone who gave advice.

Discovered Homer Steinweiss plays open handed because of an injury though so that’s cool.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

timp posted:

Double posting to say that whenever I hear someone plays open handed I immediately assume they're a giant DMB fan and judge them accordingly :colbert:

Mike Bordin.

Judge that :colbert:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I love watching this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4SZ6U5W2Co

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of covers, do we have a thread to post covers in? I have finally gotten around to setting up a way to record my progress and I'm just now getting comfy enough to post them publicly. This is mostly just for me cause I'm under no delusion that anyone really wants to watch some amateur who's barely been playing for 3 months, I like the idea of recording covers and then coming back in a few months to do a re-record and see how different they look

Anyway, here's a BMTH cover I did the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccj08U7tJ8U

Definitely not perfect, I slightly gently caress up a few of the hi-hat hits at the very beginning, there's a few mistimed snare hits I can hear, and at least one of the fills is a teensy bit too fast to my ear, but for one of my first songs I've learned I feel pretty good about my progress!

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

that’s 3mo? drat, i wished my students practiced as much as you do :krad:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
to be fair I have at least 1000 hours of playing drums in rock band, but this has been my first try at actually learning to play independently. so I have a bit of a muscle memory advantage over someone totally brand new who's never picked up a stick

learning how to commit it to memory has been tricky but it's been very fulfilling thus far! and working my way through stick control :)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's up fellow Rock Band expat :wave: Agreed that looks really good for 90 days, though I doubt I could clear a song like that in-game much less IRL. Almost all of my own covers are from the game and turns out I'm a mid-paced 90's rock kind of guy.

vvv You definitely lose a lot just by the nature of the game interface, having a max of 7 digital signals, but it's a lot closer to real playing than buttons on a guitar at least. Can imagine it would be super weird to start playing if you already have experience on an acoustic kit, but going game -> real drumkit is just another hardware upgrade :homebrew:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 6, 2021

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

The first time I played Rock Band I thought "I've been playing drums for years, this will be a snap!" and it was the most clunky awful thing ever and then I realized that in my drummer brain, I control the band, not some video game! So I stuck to playing just the bass lines from all the Beatles songs because that was way more fun.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

:hi5: rock band ex-pats all around!

Takes No Damage posted:

vvv You definitely lose a lot just by the nature of the game interface, having a max of 7 digital signals, but it's a lot closer to real playing than buttons on a guitar at least. Can imagine it would be super weird to start playing if you already have experience on an acoustic kit, but going game -> real drumkit is just another hardware upgrade :homebrew:

this is def true. i went back to it once and open hats being not on the hats really messed me up, and it locking you into where to play the crash too

it was a great start into reading music tho too...it’s p much big, colorful, sideways sheet music :eng101:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It's definitely harder to go backwards, I think. Never got the hang of Rock Band drums because it condensed so many things to four pads. Plus I found it impossible to get into a groove since the whole point is playing exactly note-for-note, which just has never been how I approach playing songs.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Hell yeah Rock Band buddies

I broke three pedals and one pad in the few years I played that game

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

New New Fresh posted:

Hell yeah Rock Band buddies

I broke three pedals and one pad in the few years I played that game

I went through 3 pedals and at least 6 of the addon cymbals, those things fell apart super easily

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Think I’m staying off VSTs for now. They were a godsend back when I had a TD-4, but honestly the gap between my current TD-27 and the VST sounds is much smaller than it used to be. Also it’s more of a hassle, the pad sensitivities are a little wonky, it’s difficult to dial in settings and the latency is just ever so slightly noticeable, especially if I compare it directly with the module sounds. A bunch of small issues that just make it not worth it.

I can still hook the module to my computer and record into Logic, which is excellent. God I love having an Apple DAW again.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

AndrewP posted:

Never got the hang of Rock Band drums because it condensed so many things to four pads.

Exactly this. People were always trying to get me to play the kit in Rock Band jams, but the fact that one pad acts as both the hi-hat, one of the rack toms and maybe something else later in the song is just too ridiculous for me.

God I miss playing drums. :( It's starting to feel like I'll never be able to bust out my big SONOR kit again. A few months ago I went to a friend's place and helped set up a very janky old kit for him, and lent him my pedals, throne and hardware. Felt really good to be able to help, but I didn't even get to play around beyond tuning up the skins.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Been a year for me since I've played mine or any other kit for that matter. One day...

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It sucks. I appreciate how far edrums have come but they're so expensive to get even passable quality.

Mister Speaker posted:

It's starting to feel like I'll never be able to bust out my big SONOR kit again.

SQ2? I've been out of the acoustic game for a while but Youtube has clued me into how awesome Sonors sound. SQ2 is sweeeeeet.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
what's the nicest-sounding/most sensitive/most customizable vst for drums on mac? i have osx el capitan and i plan to use it with an alesis surge.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jazz Marimba posted:

it was a great start into reading music tho too...it’s p much big, colorful, sideways sheet music :eng101:

This is probably the most useless skill I have, and that's really saying something, but I've gotten pretty good at going from a Rock Band track to proper sheet music by pausing Youtube videos every second and throwing the notes on screen into MuseScore.

Mister Speaker posted:

Exactly this. People were always trying to get me to play the kit in Rock Band jams, but the fact that one pad acts as both the hi-hat, one of the rack toms and maybe something else later in the song is just too ridiculous for me.

Blue gem was always the GOAT of the Rock Band GUI. It was open hihat, tom 2, crash 2 and ride cymbal :downsrim: Red was almost exclusively snare, yellow was closed hihat and tom 1 while green was crash 1 and the floor tom. It's a marvel that they were able to simulate a real kit as closely as they did with those limitations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sounds like a lot of you never got to try pro-mode drums in Rock Band? The original 4 pad RB drum kit was fun, but definitely lacking, so when RB3 came out they introduced pro-mode and a new Ion kit that was made by Alesis. Pro-mode added 3 cymbals with different symbols in game, so that yellow, blue and green pads were now solely toms, and yellow cymbal for hi-hat, blue cymbal for ride/closed hat and green cymbal for crash. This was a huge upgrade, and I was happy with the Ion kit for several years.

Later they released a midi-pro adapter for both xbox360 and ps4 that let you hook midi-out from a drum brain into your console, so you can use pretty much any e-kit in the game. A little over 3 years ago I picked up that adapter and an Alesis Crimson II e-kit with mesh heads. I was able to reuse a few cymbals from the Ion kit, so now I had a second blue cymbal closer to the hi-hat to play closed hat and an extra green cymbal for a second crash. This setup was pretty awesome, but still lacking in the hi-hat department and the Alesis brain was missing a few features that would let me correct that. It was also awesome because now I could mess around on a kit outside of Rock Band, so that was cool.

Also, somewhere around that time I discovered the world of Rock Band custom songs. Turns out there is a large community of Rock Band fans churning out songs that can be imported into certain disc versions of RB3 on X360. https://db.c3universe.com/songs/rb3xbox I went from ~300ish DLC songs to around ~1500 songs now

Latest upgrade was replacing my Alesis brain a month or so back with a Roland TD-9. The Roland brain has more trigger options, upside of which is now I was able to configure the hi-hats so open/closed hi-hat works perfectly in-game now. Now when I play, instead of solely using game audio, I play with the TD-9 going through a PA as well. This really helps with working on dynamics and timing. And I'm finally able to begin learning how to incorporate my left leg into my playing now.

I'm also finally signed up for actual drum lessons now. Decided to go with Drumeo for a year, lessons seem to be pretty great so far. Once Covid hell world is done, I'm probably going to look for some in-person lessons too. Anyway, that's my long-winded Rock Band post. It can be really cool, and I'm glad that the game came along because I doubt I'd be drumming right now if not for that.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I did a drumeo trial but decided not to go through with the full annual package. I was using the app and it just felt kind of clunky, event if there was a lot of content there. Maybe I was missing out on something.

I also need to order a tablet stand for my kit.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

nishi koichi posted:

what's the nicest-sounding/most sensitive/most customizable vst for drums on mac? i have osx el capitan and i plan to use it with an alesis surge.

anything?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The biggest, baddest drum VST is probably Superior Drummer 3.0. You’ll need a shitload of space for it and it’s expensive.

EZDrummer 2 is made by the same company and has a free demo you can try.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I tried the demo of EZDrummer2 the other day, but the lag was way too severe on my setup for playing live. I ran a Roland OM-One usb-midi cable from my TD-9 to a laptop, then I borrowed my brothers Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to run sound from the laptop to my PA. Drums sounded awesome, but was literally a half second or more of lag so unplayable. None of my friends have an audio interface with midi that I can borrow to see if that improves things though, and I don't want to drop a few hundred bucks myself only to find out it didn't help. Not a huge deal, but would be cool if that had worked.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

AndrewP posted:

The biggest, baddest drum VST is probably Superior Drummer 3.0. You’ll need a shitload of space for it and it’s expensive.

EZDrummer 2 is made by the same company and has a free demo you can try.

thank you. (jesus, 419 dollars!)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

Anyway, that's my long-winded Rock Band post. It can be really cool, and I'm glad that the game came along because I doubt I'd be drumming right now if not for that.

This pretty much exactly mirrors my own experience i.e. RB 4-pad kit > RB Pro cymbals > E-kit with MIDI adapter > acoustic drums with IRL instructor. Luckily I was doing all this around the late '00s so in-person lessons were NBD, Covid has to be playing hell with physical instruction type gigs like that :(

If you've never had an in-person lesson before, I'd recommend making sure you look up a few videos specifically on how to hold the drumsticks. Best case you might have to unlearn some bad habits, but it is possible to actually hurt yourself if you hold them wrong for long enough, stuff like repetitive stress and soaking up excessive vibrations in your fingers and wrists.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

If you've never had an in-person lesson before, I'd recommend making sure you look up a few videos specifically on how to hold the drumsticks. Best case you might have to unlearn some bad habits, but it is possible to actually hurt yourself if you hold them wrong for long enough, stuff like repetitive stress and soaking up excessive vibrations in your fingers and wrists.

:emptyquote:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hey, I played drums in junior high marching band! That was only 30+ years ago, I'm sure my technique is still fine!

Seriously though, from videos I've watched I think I'm holding them fine, but I do have a terrible tendency to drop my right hand stick on crossovers and stuff so I really should get someone in person to check things out.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I get hand cramps in my right hand in the muscle between my thumb and index finger (the one that runs down the forearm) and I can't tell if it's bad technique (probably), because of me being a computer-toucher for a living for the last 10 years and a lifelong PC & console gamer and it's carpal tunnel (definitely doesn't help), or a combination of both (almost certainly)

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

At some point I developed the not-great habit of holding my sticks at the very end, to where my pinky is basically off. I just like having as much leverage as possible I think. Need to work on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

yeah you gotta have that fulcrum so you can tip them