Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

puppets freak me out posted:

While we're talking QoL improvements, I'd love it if harvesting carrots wasn't a pixel hunt (unless there's a way to mass harvest I haven't figured out). Also it'd be cool if we could see the radius around planted crops so we don't have to guess where to plant. Either one would be good, really.

Build the low fence around your farm area and eyeball the verticals for crop spacing, works great. When you harvest, just hold e and strafe down each row then move up for the next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Because copper has about twice the atomic mass of silicon, which is what rocks are made of normally. Copper is heavier than rocks.

This is true, but it's also true that you are putting one ore in for one bar out, and the bar magically weighs more.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 6, 2021

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

xzzy posted:

The swamp has a good source of surtling cores too.

Well "good" might be overstating it because you have to stand around and watch but it's low effort.

I already had more cores than I know what to do with, but while I was running around clearing some crypts, I dug out a couple surtling deathtraps around my outpost just for funsies. And honestly, I feel like this was definitely worth it just for all that coal. Gonna save me a loving ton of wood when I can just quickly pop over through the portal and grab a good few dozen lumps in half a minute.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what can you place in braziers? always see an option to place an item... but nothing will work?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The hanging braziers burn coal.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Scoss posted:

This is true, but it's also true that you are putting one ore in for one bar out, and the bar magically weighs more.

You're also putting in coal. Coal weighs 2, so you're putting in almost 14 weight and getting out 12. I'm pretty sure this is how fire works.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Khanstant posted:

The axe works on the globs just fine, I was asking if there was a more elegant way to get to the high ones without building your own weird scaffolding to it.

Oh my bad. No there isn't that I'm aware of.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Taffer posted:

Problem is this sucks, not only are those about as rare as silver veins, but each has about ~5 iron ore in it compared to about ~75 for each silver vein, and it is often literally impossible to mine them out fully due to them nearly always being below the water level. They're barely even worth bothering with, and its a painful chore to harvest them when you do just need that little extra bit of iron. There should just be infrequent-but-large veins of real iron ore in the swamps that is above the water level, similar to copper in the dark forest.

I've had good luck mining in the swamp transitions to other biomes, especially as it goes into mountains it gains a lot of height before it's not swamp anymore and you can find some through that raised area a lot of the time. Still a pain in the rear end but it's an option.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Anyone have any tips for building a stone bridge over a river? Right now I'm running into issues with having to build bottom up. It seems like you have to kind of guestimate distances instead of just snapping things into place, and if you are building bottom up from a river you have to make sure that the river is the perfect depth or stuff won't line up height wise.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Demon_Corsair posted:

Anyone have any tips for building a stone bridge over a river? Right now I'm running into issues with having to build bottom up. It seems like you have to kind of guestimate distances instead of just snapping things into place, and if you are building bottom up from a river you have to make sure that the river is the perfect depth or stuff won't line up height wise.

You could build up a grid of stone pillars and horizontal wood beams across the bottom and build it up so you have the spacing correct, then go in later and delete what you don't need for structural support.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Demon_Corsair posted:

One important thing to remember is that pieces don't have to snap to give support. This means you can put the small wooden logs along the side and then free place a large one on the bottom and as long as it intersects with the small one (even phased through) you'll still get ground support.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ugh. So I went clockwise. Realized I clearly went the wrong way to get to Bonemass when it hooked around so awkwardly. Surely counter-clockwise would have been better.

Dropped a portal. Back in the boat to head home. Yeah, coastline is curving north. Clearly should have gone the other way. NOPE, gently caress me. Balloons out west. gently caress this continent.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Did you look for rivers in that middle bit?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There were none, yeah.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Another bite on the other side that would have been frustrating had I gone counter-clockwise instead.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

toasterwarrior posted:

Swamps needing to have crypts (which then have a variable amount of iron in them) to even be worth delving into is the issue, IMO. Most Black Forest biomes I've seen are very generous with copper and tin; I can't say the same for swamps and that's not good when iron is probably the most widely used metal in the game. Like I mentioned before, it's probably best to have like guaranteed iron veins or whatever in the mountains so that you can have multiple reliable sources to consider.

I think this is my big problem with it. The Black Forest feels like it takes a while to conquer and has lots to offer - trolls, burial chambers, ores, tons of good stuff to forage. There are lots of reasons to be in the biome and there’s pretty distinct progression there.

Then you get to the swamps, and it feels like it’s literally just iron. And so many of the generated zones don’t have crypts. Sure there’s some other good stuff to craft with, but you kind of end up with piles of it from clearing crypts anyways.

There’s a lot that the swamps do right, and I really enjoy the oppressive atmosphere and biome design, but it feels like it needs a second material for weapons/armor or something. Some changes to the overall generation leading to larger swamps with more crypts would help too.

Ravenfood posted:

Where the gently caress can I find more burial crypts for Surtling cores? There seem to be none at all in several of these black forest biomes.

Look around anywhere you see skeletons that isn’t one of those stone tower spawns - sometimes they are hard to spot if they’re the low/small cave ones, but I think that is the only other spawn source of skeletons in the forest.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'm getting a version mismatch /can't see my friends game. We're on ein the same version

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
the swamps would be better if they had more diverse plant life, different types of herbs and stuff used in meads but I don't want mead making to be any more complicated.

maybe the makings of a nice viking salad? ancient bark is pretty underwhelming as a crafting material too, but this all sounds like stuff they've put on the roadmap.

Woden
May 6, 2006

boo boo bear posted:

the swamps would be better if they had more diverse plant life, different types of herbs and stuff used in meads but I don't want mead making to be any more complicated.

maybe the makings of a nice viking salad? ancient bark is pretty underwhelming as a crafting material too, but this all sounds like stuff they've put on the roadmap.

5 of the 8 mead recipes require something that drops in the swamp.

The swamp also has 2 great food recipes associated with it, 3 if you include the farmable one. Not all of them are exclusive but that's a good thing.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So as I'm trying to do a build that's more than just a poo poo-shack with the necessary benches/chests in it, I'm noticing one main thing.

This game is too loving dark all the time. Basically the only time with functional light is when the sun is directly overhead +/- like 15°

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The iron grind before/after 3rd boss is a bit much. It's about 200 bars for a solo player?

Finished Bonemass tonight.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Warbird posted:

Check my post history for the thread. Feel free to ask any questions you have or offer points to improve on. Just skip the gcp portions and/or reference the docs I’m talking about directly. I’d also suggest looking into Docker if you’re down to play with containers.

I'm going to give setting up a server a go, as even though there are 3 or 4 of us I've never done anything like this before and it seems fun and interesting. One question, if anyone can answer - if I do the whole Google Cloud VM thing, is there any way I can import the local world that we've been building on so far and use that for the dedicated server?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My best iron advice: find the merchant first and go there with about 700 bucks

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

I'm going to give setting up a server a go, as even though there are 3 or 4 of us I've never done anything like this before and it seems fun and interesting. One question, if anyone can answer - if I do the whole Google Cloud VM thing, is there any way I can import the local world that we've been building on so far and use that for the dedicated server?

I'd be very surprised if not, it definitely works for other ways of running a dedicated server. Just need to figure out where to drop the files I guess.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Vanadium posted:

I'd be very surprised if not, it definitely works for other ways of running a dedicated server. Just need to figure out where to drop the files I guess.

Thanks - I found a way via Google Cloud to upload the files. They've uploaded into my /home/$USER directory. Would anyone be able to suggest how to replace the map the server is using with the world I've just uploaded? I'm not a programmer (although finding setting up a server cool and interesting!).

Edit: I've figured out how to move files around. But I can't for the life of me figure out where to move them to on this VM. Do I need to start the server up first so it creates a world that I can then replace?

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 6, 2021

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

jesus christ, i just died twice in a row to what im pretty sure is the same wolf

ive got troll hide shirt/pants, a helmet, and a rectangular shield

do i just need to get better at blocking? i keep forgetting how fast they are

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well I tamed another one-star wolf, which was actually really easy to do since I made a stone enclosure and just watched videos for an hour or whatever as the required time past.
Then, as I let it out of the cage during the daytime, the AI just ran back over the hill I got it from and despawned itself :negative:

While I have another idea cooked up for one last attempt, this is 100% not worth the effort and time until further notice.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't see the point of taming in general. Wolves are glass cannons, meat is easy to get so why bother with pigs, lox don't breed currently

If I want to build stuff and tediously tame I'll just go back to ark, at least the dinosaurs are useful

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

boofhead posted:

jesus christ, i just died twice in a row to what im pretty sure is the same wolf

ive got troll hide shirt/pants, a helmet, and a rectangular shield

do i just need to get better at blocking? i keep forgetting how fast they are

Are you using a tower shield? They're not as useful as regular shields because they don't allow parrying. Also wolves are a bit above your gear level.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

Thanks - I found a way via Google Cloud to upload the files. They've uploaded into my /home/$USER directory. Would anyone be able to suggest how to replace the map the server is using with the world I've just uploaded? I'm not a programmer (although finding setting up a server cool and interesting!).

Edit: I've figured out how to move files around. But I can't for the life of me figure out where to move them to on this VM. Do I need to start the server up first so it creates a world that I can then replace?

Okay - so I've gone through Warbird's GoogleVM instructions to the letter, but whenever I try and start the server and check the details, it comes back as 'stopped', which is why I'm not sure it's working. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is that none of the game binaries seem to exist - I can't find any file structure that's like Iron Gate/Valheim/ etc (which I was looking for so I could find somewhere to drop in a pre-existing world) - just a lot of stuff connected with vhserver. Am I missing something here?

Sorry for what might be a stupid question. I'm not a programmer!

edit: it's this ~/.config/unity3d/IronGate/Valheim/worlds/ that doesn't seem to exist anywhere on the VM.

edit: it's alive! for anyone wondering, the default Google VM might not be good enough - I had to bump up to 'standard' so it wouldn't crash on start.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 6, 2021

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Kruller posted:

Are you using a tower shield? They're not as useful as regular shields because they don't allow parrying. Also wolves are a bit above your gear level.

yes sorry, i couldnt remember what theyre called. i have a tower shield, ill swap to a regular one

ok, ill grab my poo poo and bail until later. i also keep forgetting that i can technically make bronze axes to chop down birch trees, i havent found tin yet so i forget that i technically have enough to use all that copper i mined

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
There's piles of tin along the coast, that's one thing I've literally never been short.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

boofhead posted:

yes sorry, i couldnt remember what theyre called. i have a tower shield, ill swap to a regular one

ok, ill grab my poo poo and bail until later. i also keep forgetting that i can technically make bronze axes to chop down birch trees, i havent found tin yet so i forget that i technically have enough to use all that copper i mined

Tin's everywhere along coasts, anecdotally especially in black forests. And if you can make a bronze axe you should, fine wood unlocks some nice stuff.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Like tables

You can always take down birches by assaulting them with beech trees (or making the elder do your forestry)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Azhais posted:

My best iron advice: find the merchant first and go there with about 700 bucks

I did this (on the 42069lolxd seed) after doing like 6 crypts and am kicking myself. It's a gigantic change and the trader should have been a guaranteed find on every world via runestones or something

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
Saw someone posting about it, but really the nightly Greydwarf bare-knuckle Fight Club while waiting for ore to smelt was the only fun thing about farming iron.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I imagine the current metal costs are partway tied to it being early access and them needing to add filler before people find the end of the game rather quickly.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 6, 2021

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Azhais posted:

I don't see the point of taming in general. Wolves are glass cannons, meat is easy to get so why bother with pigs, lox don't breed currently

It's fun to me to have minions in battle, or to eat greylings as I chop trees. The breeding is because, as you noted, they're so fragile that you'll need to go back to base and refresh your squad probably rather frequently.

Just another aspect of the sandbox to play with, or will be as the game develops I hope.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

mastershakeman posted:

I did this (on the 42069lolxd seed) after doing like 6 crypts and am kicking myself. It's a gigantic change and the trader should have been a guaranteed find on every world via runestones or something

Yeah, finding the trader would be more fun as an adventure with signposting to lead the way rather than just total RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

Okay - so I've gone through Warbird's GoogleVM instructions to the letter, but whenever I try and start the server and check the details, it comes back as 'stopped', which is why I'm not sure it's working. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is that none of the game binaries seem to exist - I can't find any file structure that's like Iron Gate/Valheim/ etc (which I was looking for so I could find somewhere to drop in a pre-existing world) - just a lot of stuff connected with vhserver. Am I missing something here?

Sorry for what might be a stupid question. I'm not a programmer!

edit: it's this ~/.config/unity3d/IronGate/Valheim/worlds/ that doesn't seem to exist anywhere on the VM.

edit: it's alive! for anyone wondering, the default Google VM might not be good enough - I had to bump up to 'standard' so it wouldn't crash on start.

I went the lazy route and rented a server from HostHavoc for 3 months ($43, well spent imo), so I can't really help with getting the server set up, BUT I can help a bit with getting the world seed swapped over!

In your command line that runs the server, there's a section that sets the world name. You'll need to create your seed locally with the name you want to use (in my case, used 'mrxzzy' seed w/ the name 'Summerisle'

code:
-nographics -batchmode -name "DudeWeb.net Presents The Wicker Man" -port 27027 -savedir C:\TCAFiles\Users\boop6\95332\ -world "Summerisle" -password "WHOOPS" -public 1 -logfile C:\TCAFiles\Users\boop6\95332\logs\output.log
Upload the files into the 'worlds' folder once it's established, update the name and restart the server. You can confirm which seed is being used by checking the output.log file found in the logs directory.

Hope you can figure out the Google VM stuff, sorry I can't help there!