Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

They should've gone a different direction and made another episode about Wanda atoning for her capturing of Westview. A tragicomedy episode set in prison, they could've called it Scarlet is the new Black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I hope they properly make her the bad guy. This seems like the end of get out, where everyone was asking the director "but the girlfriend is innocent right? She's a white lady, she's good, right?".

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Wanda is pretty unambiguously the antagonist if not outright bad guy and I don't think any part of WandaVision has been even close to resolved yet honestly I had reasonable expectations and really enjoyed the show

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

nimby posted:

They should've gone a different direction and made another episode about Wanda atoning for her capturing of Westview. A tragicomedy episode set in prison, they could've called it Scarlet is the new Black.

That was in Civil War. :v:

Also, the ending does seem to point towards Wanda taking on a more villainous role. Hell, I consider myself smart, but just because I read one medical book doesn't mean I could be a doctor. And anyone who did would be a danger to society. Again, going by the original release timeline, it seems that we'll get some answers in Dr. Strange 2: Electric Boogaloo of Madness.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

QuoProQuid posted:

i think viewers have been primed by decades of mystery box programming to dissect narratives and latch onto inconsequential details and i ducking hate it

e: the ducking typo is your first clue that i am, in fact, a hyper-intelligent waterfowl who is hell bent on destroying these dastardly avengers

Did Tony Stark kill your parents by feeding them white bread instead of like seeds or peas and sweetcorn?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cage Kicker posted:

Wanda is pretty unambiguously the antagonist if not outright bad guy and I don't think any part of WandaVision has been even close to resolved yet honestly I had reasonable expectations and really enjoyed the show

There was a fair bit of clunk but I enjoyed the hell out of that. The kids were not a uh strong part of the acting ensemble though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I mean, they’re kids. You kinda have to grade on a curve when it comes to kid acting and they were mostly fine.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

sebmojo posted:

There was a fair bit of clunk but I enjoyed the hell out of that. The kids were not a uh strong part of the acting ensemble though.

I admit I winced when I saw they managed to grab the worst kid actor from The Haunting of Hill House.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean, they’re kids. You kinda have to grade on a curve when it comes to kid acting and they were mostly fine.

If they weren't used so sparingly it would've been pretty intolerable. The Malcom in the Middle episode highlighted how bad they were, since it just reminds you of how great Malcom and Dewey were.

e: I don't blame the kids themselves though. They're kids, they probably didn't even have much choice in the matter. It's just bad casting.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

QuoProQuid posted:

i think viewers have been primed by decades of mystery box programming to dissect narratives and latch onto inconsequential details and i ducking hate it

e: the ducking typo is your first clue that i am, in fact, a hyper-intelligent waterfowl who is hell bent on destroying these dastardly avengers

Howard? :goose:

Svensken
May 29, 2010
We thought we were watching House of M, but we were actually watching the prelude to Avengers Disassembled.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

BlackIronHeart posted:

I admit I winced when I saw they managed to grab the worst kid actor from The Haunting of Hill House.

Wash out your mouth! Baby Luke Crain was the most precious thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Barreft posted:

That ppl want to see 10 year olds in relationships is way creepy. These are like 40 years olds saying it's cute to watch a 10 year old learn their sexuality.

What the gently caress? No-one is saying this.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think a point that is lost is that not only did they not do x-men, the whole Bohner fakeout is a signal that whenever they do start x-men; it won't be any of the fox mutants.

To which I say fine. They killed off all the good mutants offscreen after First Class.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
From a story telling perspective, the outcome of the Vision fight should have been revealed after we lost this version of Vision.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i really don't care about x-men or the multiverse or "no more mutants" comic book theories. i just wanted an emotionally satisfying and narratively complete exploration of the consequences of trauma that acknowledges the interior lives of people outside the main cast

Kal-L posted:

Howard? :goose:

so, you've uncovered my true identity. allow me to close this door and ask you if you've told anyone else.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I think the thing this all cemented for me is that Marvel's stories always fall apart in the third act but the mid/post-credits scenes are like crack.

Can we just have a show made entirely of post-creditses instead?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Umbra Dubium posted:

I think the thing this all cemented for me is that Marvel's stories always fall apart in the third act but the mid/post-credits scenes are like crack.

Can we just have a show made entirely of post-creditses instead?

First half has to be all Lost-style 'previously on' intro though

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
One huge nitpick I have for not only Wandavision but a lot of superhero media is that the feds still show up to confront the supes with nothing but common body armor and rifles. Like I can understand if it's the first supe they ever saw, but c'mon SWORD should've had at least some better gear.

Just rip off PS4 Spider-Man. Have SWORD show up next with power fists, jet packs, and pulse rifles. It's one of those suspension of disbelief things where the US govt would never not make it a priority with full bipartisan support.

If the show budget doesn't allow it just give them "futuristic armor" and recolored nerf guns.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Barreft posted:

That ppl want to see 10 year olds in relationships is way creepy. These are like 40 years olds saying it's cute to watch a 10 year old learn their sexuality.

Textbook homophobe take of "young children showing romantic interest is sexual!" (But only if they're gay!)

It's no more sexual than children having "crushes", which is a very common on screen trope. There is nothing different when the child is also gay. People aren't born straight and discover their gayness when they discover sexuality.

People want Wiccan and Speed to become ongoing characters because they are a famous example of well done gay and bisexual representation in comics. We don't want explicit relationships for the sake of it, though that is totally fine (within reason and obviously age dependant), we want the on screen representation of a marginalised and under-represented group.

Most of the discussion around this assumes they are aged up anyway, to the young adult period they are famous for

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Honestly, Wiccan and Speed being Wanda's kind of sort of reincarnated kids is the least interesting thing about them and is mostly referenced when writers want to make "Boy aren't comics weird?" jokes, and if they are going to use the, for a movie or a show it might be for the best to excise that in the interest of streamlining the characters.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

HardKase posted:

Agatha got a raw deal. Saved a town of people from the mind control off a very powerful tantrum, then gets mind wiped for it while the prison who literally enslaved a while town just flys away.

Also why did the general get arrested? For shooting imaginary people?

He also shot at Monica who was a real person. So that's attempted murder right there.

Kal-L posted:

Also, the ending does seem to point towards Wanda taking on a more villainous role. Hell, I consider myself smart, but just because I read one medical book doesn't mean I could be a doctor. And anyone who did would be a danger to society. Again, going by the original release timeline, it seems that we'll get some answers in Dr. Strange 2: Electric Boogaloo of Madness.

Well, I kind of took it that the Darkhold wasn't so much a book as a multimedia program that encompassed four year of "med school." Evil med school, maybe, but still "med school." Essentially Wanda went way the gently caress out in the middle of nowhere to really study and learn her magic so she wouldn't have to fight people pursuing her (and thus hurt them) or hurt anyone else with the occasional magical "whoopsie." I think the bit at the end with her hearing her kids was the first time that happened and that's what will bring her to Dr. Strange.

I admit that I think it'd be funny if somebody landed a float-plane on that lake, came up and asked her "Why are you in my house?"

Everyone fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 6, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I strongly get the impression that the shapeshifting alien infiltrators are by far the most reasonable, rational and diplomatic members of SWORD.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What's your favourite disproven fan theory about wandavision?

Mine is Emma caulfield being a secret magic character because of the flowers outside her house and the registration of an "arcana" trademark that turns out to not be done by Disney

i missed this earlier but i read a theory early on that the stork in episode three was really mephisto trying to steal wanda's children in disguise or something, an absolutely buck wild bit of fan theorizing.

that said, i would have loved to have 10 episodes with a sinister stork on the prowl eating babies

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 6, 2021

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Everyone posted:

He also shot at Monica who was a real person. So that's attempted murder right there.

Even if not for this and all the things other people mentioned, he would be embroiled in the center of a massive ethical inquiry after a shitshow like this. One hopes. Hell, a huge part of the reason no other heroes were called in was because he was intentionally trying to keep it all under wraps.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

QuoProQuid posted:

i missed this earlier but i read a theory early on that the stork in episode three was really mephisto trying to steal wanda's children in disguise or something, an absolutely buck wild bit of fan theorizing.

that said, i would have loved to have 10 episodes with a sinister stork on the prowl eating babies

[pitch meeting]Evil, baby-eating storks are tight[/pitch meeting]

But yeah, that one was kind of absurd on its face because we see that the stork was a painting in Wanda's nursury that her sitcom-goofy magic brought to life.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I strongly get the impression that the shapeshifting alien infiltrators are by far the most reasonable, rational and diplomatic members of SWORD.

I kind of loved that the Skrull was dressed as a stereotypical "TV cop" complete with badge necklace because the Skrulls would absolutely think that's how Earth police actually dress.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 6, 2021

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Even if not for this and all the things other people mentioned, he would be embroiled in the center of a massive ethical inquiry after a shitshow like this. One hopes. Hell, a huge part of the reason no other heroes were called in was because he was intentionally trying to keep it all under wraps.

You could see the FBI going through all of Hayward's computers and documents near the end. Hayward had to be running CATARACT without authorization and that's also a federal crime.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

XboxPants posted:

There's also nuVision, who now knows who he is, how he came to be and what Hayward was planning to do with him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Honestly Hayward's the most realistic part as being a ham-fisted authoritarian clown who is hosed the moment he starts really pissing off people more important than he is.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Did the show end how I wanted it to end? No. Did it end good enough in context of the rest of the show? Not quite, but that’s MCU for you. Am I now fully invested to the internal emotional lives of Wanda and Vision? Hell yes.

If Wanda does become a Big Bad then I may be on her side. Well, not on her side, but very sympathetic.

Seeing Wanda’s Vision deescalate conflict with Cataract through dialogue, kindness, and earned trust was very on point for the character and I would love to see more conflict resolution like that in the MCU. Paul Bettany is great.

Now give me Dr. Doom.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly Hayward's the most realistic part as being a ham-fisted authoritarian clown who is hosed the moment he starts really pissing off people more important than he is.

Yeah, Hayward is an alphabet agency director that wants his own pet WMD. Maybe not sophisticated but believable.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 6, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

Textbook homophobe take of "young children showing romantic interest is sexual!" (But only if they're gay!)

It's no more sexual than children having "crushes", which is a very common on screen trope. There is nothing different when the child is also gay. People aren't born straight and discover their gayness when they discover sexuality.

People want Wiccan and Speed to become ongoing characters because they are a famous example of well done gay and bisexual representation in comics. We don't want explicit relationships for the sake of it, though that is totally fine (within reason and obviously age dependant), we want the on screen representation of a marginalised and under-represented group.

Most of the discussion around this assumes they are aged up anyway, to the young adult period they are famous for

It's really just you obsessing over this.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I felt cheated that we didn't at least get a visit from Wong.

Loki sets one foot on Earth and it's :siren: DEFCON 1 :siren:, but Wanda does this and doesn't even merit a Sanctum *intern* to show up to ask what's going on? Odin was just chilling in Norway waiting to die and it was implied even he had to check in with Strange.

Only thing I can think of is "Agatha cloaked it from their sight/noticing," but you'd think after Wanda drained her powers, they'd all be :stare: and port there instantly.

I hope they address this. Probably in the movie. Like I said, they are probably busy with something else. Like Mordo. If he wasn't snapped, he was probably still going around stealing magic.

And I'm gonna have a good laugh if the one who actually opens the multiverse and fucks it up all is Loki and not Wanda.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Desperado Bones posted:

I hope they address this. Probably in the movie. Like I said, they are probably busy with something else. Like Mordo. If he wasn't snapped, he was probably still going around stealing magic.

And I'm gonna have a good laugh if the one who actually opens the multiverse and fucks it up all is Loki and not Wanda.

You say that like it would be in the slightest surprising that it was Loki.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah there's a literal Loki alternate timeline/multiverse TV show premiering in three months.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Everyone posted:

Emma Caulfield-Ford's Dottie turning becoming Emma Frost would rock hard. drat you for making me want that now.

This really makes me want Wanda to become the cause of all mutants. Suddenly a town in New Jersey spawns a poo poo ton of people with unusual powers from being trapped inside the Hex for so long.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I don’t know how anyone watches that finale and thinks that they’re actually setting Wanda up as a legit “big bad” or villain. The entire episode frames it as a sort of redemption/heroic act that she’s doing to correct the wrong she did.

- Agatha is portrayed as clearly wanting her powers to do bad things
- We’re explicitly told the difference between them is that Agatha hurts people on purpose and this is never refuted.
- Wanda harms the citizens by gagging them clearly by accident and frantically tries to undo it.
- Wanda starts breaking down the hex and tells them to all run to escape (which clearly they don’t get to, but the framing is to show she’s trying to do the right thing).
- Before Wanda leaves we get a heart to heart with the character that’s the moral compass of the show (Monica) and they part on friendly terms, wishing each other well.
- Wanda leaves, promising to learn to control her power so she doesn’t do something like this again

Not to say she may not do something that ends up being bad as she tries to learn more about her powers, but the show goes out of its way to show that the harm she caused innocent people was accidental and due to her processing trauma with powers she doesn’t understand. I mean the lines about her being destined to destroy the world seems pretty important and I can see the story going where she tries to change that and is temporarily unable to do so. But, again the show clearly is saying Wanda is good deep down and it doesn’t make sense for them to have her go full villain (not to mention they probably want to be able to keep marketing her as a hero for money reasons).

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Desperado Bones posted:

Honestly, it's probably better that they don't, because this is going to be a problem in every single Marvel movie that's not an Avengers-level crossover event, and it will get tedious if every Marvel thing from now on has to do a checklist of "here's why all the other heroes aren't here". Better to just leave it to suspension of disbelief.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Ouhei posted:

I don’t know how anyone watches that finale and thinks that they’re actually setting Wanda up as a legit “big bad” or villain. Not to say she may not do something that ends up being bad as she tries to learn more about her powers.

I'm betting they're just setting up the classic comic book trope of having two heroes fight when they meet for the first time. When she meets Dr. Strange there will be some sort of misunderstanding, then after a short fight they'll team up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They could go not that way and be just like: Find out in the new -insert character name- only in theaters 2024!!

enki42 posted:

Honestly, it's probably better that they don't, because this is going to be a problem in every single Marvel movie that's not an Avengers-level crossover event, and it will get tedious if every Marvel thing from now on has to do a checklist of "here's why all the other heroes aren't here". Better to just leave it to suspension of disbelief.

It doesn't have to be half the movie explaining a why. That's poo poo can be explained in one passing line, that's all. Like other goons have explained, is weird none of the sorcerers are in full alert.