Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
So I guess the Rust console beta is happening soon, so that's cool.

I do most of my video game stuff on playstation so I'm looking forward to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
7 Days to die is a great game, don't expect it to ever be properly released (it's still in beta I think?) but it's a complete game as it is more or less... although there's no proper ending. I've played it for countless hours over the releases since 2013 (it's a major release every year or so). Buy it on pc only, some other company handled the ports and I don't think they update it any more. It's my favourite survival game.

Pros:
- minecraft-like destruction of everything and building. Low 'bedrock' floor so you can mine far down
- cool looting and survival mechanics
- base building with electricity, auto-turrets etc.
- they made guns WAY more accessible in the last couple of releases. It used to be that guns were super hard to get and maintain and get bullets for, now it's way easier and the game is more fun. Guns are good.
- recent-ish addition of traders with quests and quest locations that when you activate them, populate zombies etc according to quest difficulties
- recent-ish poi revamps, now every POI has some kind of interesting loot stash which may be OP or whatever, but does make it more fun.
- elaborate base building and traps are possible. Weird mouse-run style zombie kill platforms, etc.
- Cool levelling system that sort of gives you a goal for playing more, or something
- Good PVE co-op multiplayer
- Powderkeg has a server he runs in the 7dtd thread, but the days of goon co-op in a single house are mostly gone I think (?)
- Tower defense of ... you... every 7 days. Zombies will try to kill you. Will you drive around / bike around, or will you set up on top of a concrete police station (I do that) or will you actually sit in your base and let them destroy it / defend it?

Cons:
- Janky looking graphics that still uses a fair amount of resources
- long dev turnaround times, may never be fully complete.
- Goon servers can be hacked, it last happened ages ago but yeah. Also without hacking if people break into your base then they can destroy your chests which drops the items in the chests, which despawn after a couple of minutes. Happened to me once and ruined my fun for that game.
- Sometimes they update the map auto-gen and it results in maps with no towns, maps almost entirely covered by water, weird 'cracks' like high mountains then canyons over a short horizontal distance making it hard to move around, etc etc.
- Vultures suck, but then 'just' stay out of those biomes.
- loot has a long respawn time, and books are important, and if you play on a goon server someone will be flying to every book shop on the day books respawn with the endgame gyrocopter and taking all of the books before you
- on tower defense day, no matter what kind of base you have the Zombies will go through it like butter.

redreader fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 2, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

redreader posted:

- recent-ish addition of traders with quests and quest locations that when you activate them, populate zombies etc according to quest difficulties

This is the best cheat ever.
Go to the mission, loot the hell out of it of everything, then activate it and its instantly rebuilt/repopulated.

Did they ever make it so you could turn off the 7 day horde?
Last I played you could just delay it, but that first one was still as powerful as whatever day it was, i.e. 7 or 30.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The SCUM talk has me thinking about buying it. I remember when they went in to early access it had terrible PvP in that is was laggy and looked really unfun. Has that gotten better? I guess it's only $18 so won't kill me to try it out myself.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

As someone completely uninterested in PvP stuff Scum isn’t getting a second chance (I refunded it shortly after it came out) until the PvE aspect sees some serious improvement and development. I’m not holding my breath for it, despite their promises.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

OgNar posted:

This is the best cheat ever.
Go to the mission, loot the hell out of it of everything, then activate it and its instantly rebuilt/repopulated.

Did they ever make it so you could turn off the 7 day horde?
Last I played you could just delay it, but that first one was still as powerful as whatever day it was, i.e. 7 or 30.

I mean, you can always just loot any place though. Missions do make it convenient in that you always have a place to go. My big problem with the system is that you sometimes end up with only a handful of places at a particular tier, which gets really really boring really really fast.

You can turn off the horde entirely. It's also entirely possible to make bases that will hold up to a horde, but you need to actively defend them; you can't just turtle up and wait for the zombies to die. The first horde night that a friend of mine and I played, we ended up standing on top of a bridge and layering the walkways up the bridge with wooden spikes so that we could shoot at zombies below without any major issues. Granted, our gamestage was low enough for no vultures and no ranged zombies, so it worked out. Later horde night bases were better made, culminating in a concrete bunker with automatic turrets to shoot down vultures and a ramp with tons of dart traps and electric fences, and a separate base which was a giant hole to the bottom of the map with a funnel up on the ground level that made zombies fall in. The zombies would be forced to stand up after falling, and we could shoot them with impunity during that time.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It’s a few patches back now for sure, but a buddy and I had a living base and then tiny, but extremely well fortified tower for defense every seven days.

It was super fun but also extremely tense for us to survive the horde night. It usually took me a full day if not two to get the tower back to full defensive strength, and it became a full several work-days to get enough ammo to survive. So yes, a very active defense.

I’ve since heard that yes there’s plenty of better ways to cheese it and what we did kept us on a razors edge of surviving, but considering it kept a challenge up through like day 70+ while always feeling like we were just pulling through was next level survival game poo poo.

The caveat to that whole story is that I do think our play style and the whole situation we built was sort of lightning in a bottle and I’m not sure we could even recapture how fun it was to do. Having to start every day fastidiously taking inventory and laying out what needed to happen before the next horde became an art. There was no more bad rear end feeling than sealing us off on the evening of the horde with our mass of ammo, explosives, and other tools while we waited for those first zombies to hit the outside wall.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Rusty posted:

The SCUM talk has me thinking about buying it. I remember when they went in to early access it had terrible PvP in that is was laggy and looked really unfun. Has that gotten better? I guess it's only $18 so won't kill me to try it out myself.

The performance is a lot better than in the beginning. I remember in the first six months it was out every encounter had terrible rubberbanding, teleporting and skill lag. It might still have some lag on servers that are absolutely full but generally you won't have those issues anymore. (except in the big city of Samobor which is called lag city, but it's still in the middle of optimization.)

And it is true that the PVE side is lacking so far like I mentioned earlier. However I do feel like you'll get fun out of the game even if you're not into full-on PVP, especially on an EA game not even at version 0.5 yet.

Last night had a patch that updated the UE engine to a new version and the devs specifically warned that it might break some things, and servers have been really wonky, so take note if you do decide to buy it now. They did mention that they're already working on a hotfix though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

In my last group game of 7D2D, the server scoped out a big cathedral and thought "this would make an extremely epic and poorly-defensible base".

Promptly dug out the catacombs underneath for the actual base part of the base, with storage and crafting and whatever, while building walls around the cathedral Spanish mission-style. Dug a trench outside the wall and lined it with spike traps, with the only entrance over the trench being a mazelike murder room that could be shot into from above.

That was fun as heck (and laggy as all get out) to defend.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

lordfrikk posted:

How long did it take to finish and why didn't you stop earlier?

* about 12 hours, but a lot of that was spent building a big space station that never did anything but fall apart
* i apparently have serious sunk cost fallacy issues about finishing mediocre games

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I tried playing 7 Days to Die after this thread's suggestion (apparently I bought it years ago!) and despite its clunkiness there's some hooks there for sure. I finally reached my first blood moon and I guess I just don't see the point? They're such a central mechanic the game is all but built around them but I don't understand them beyond just being sinks for your ammo and resources. I died partway through and then when I came back the horde was just gone? The entire rest of the night was completely peaceful and for about 3 hours no more zombies even showed up. As far as I understand you don't even get anything for surviving, the way you get things for exploring points of interest?
So it kind of seems like the most practical solution is to just die right off the bat, eat the XP debuff, and then go about your business as normal. Maybe I should just turn them off.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 3, 2021

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Vib Rib posted:

I tried playing 7 Days to Die after this thread's suggestion (apparently I bought it years ago!) and despite its clunkiness there's some hooks there for sure. I finally reached my first blood moon and I guess I just don't see the point? They're such a central mechanic the game is all but built around them but I don't understand them beyond just being sinks for your ammo and resources. I died partway through and then when I came back the horde was just gone? The entire rest of the night was completely peaceful and for about 3 hours no more zombies even showed up. As far as I understand you don't even get anything for surviving, the way you get things for exploring points of interest?
So it kind of seems like the most practical solution is to just die right off the bat, eat the XP debuff, and then go about your business as normal. Maybe I should just turn them off.

The most common solution is to either run, use a vehicle, or have 2 bases: a horde night deathtrap (they path directly to you on horde night) and a smelting/forging/concrete/my stuff kind of base with minimal defenses. If you're really good you can go out and fight zombies but I don't recommend that. Most advanced players have one uberbase or a side deathtrap base for horde night. The second base makes it more fun because there's nothing less fun than Zombies getting in and smashing your poo poo.

I always spend the first one or two blood moon nights up high on a concrete building that I've destroyed stairs or ladders to. Even the top of a shop should be fine, but note they'll probably destroy everything underneath you. I generally don't die. You do get tons of xp for unloading into an endless horde of zombies so horde night is great for that.

edit: build a little wood house shelter on top of the base concrete building because jesus christ, vultures suck.

redreader fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 3, 2021

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Isn't SCUM the one that had the Nazi tattoos? :thunk:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

redreader posted:

The most common solution is to either run, use a vehicle, or have 2 bases: a horde night deathtrap (they path directly to you on horde night) and a smelting/forging/concrete/my stuff kind of base with minimal defenses. If you're really good you can go out and fight zombies but I don't recommend that. Most advanced players have one uberbase or a side deathtrap base for horde night. The second base makes it more fun because there's nothing less fun than Zombies getting in and smashing your poo poo.

I always spend the first one or two blood moon nights up high on a concrete building that I've destroyed stairs or ladders to. Even the top of a shop should be fine, but note they'll probably destroy everything underneath you. I generally don't die. You do get tons of xp for unloading into an endless horde of zombies so horde night is great for that.
I'm not asking how to survive it, I'm asking what the point is. I'm sure I could survive it with better practice but it doesn't really seem worth doing.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Vib Rib posted:

I'm not asking how to survive it, I'm asking what the point is. I'm sure I could survive it with better practice but it doesn't really seem worth doing.

A couple of levels of XP from murdering 100 zombies with headshots

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I think horde night only ends after you die on a low game stage. There's a limit to how many spawns you will get for the night where it's possible to kill them all before morning. At low game stage you can run out, and I think zombies despawn around where you died, so it's like you killed them all. The first few hordes are more of an introduction.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

There's not really a point, fortifying and defending the base against zombie hordes is just a really fun part of the game, and helps put goals around all the building and looting and crafting you do. If you don't enjoy that part just turn it off, but I do think that's one of the key additions that differentiates 7dtd.

Dying has a few other effects besides the XP penalty. It also reduces "gamestage" which sets back your progression - this reduces the difficulty of zombies but also reduces the quality of loot you find.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

packetmantis posted:

Isn't SCUM the one that had the Nazi tattoos? :thunk:

Wow, I thought it was one of those things where they accidentally used something that looked like the Totenkopf but they literally had "1488" tats in the supporter pack.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/8/31/17805254/scum-nazi-imagery-14-88-iron-cross-removed

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

redreader posted:

A couple of levels of XP from murdering 100 zombies with headshots

And the random Z-pack drops!

Blood moon hordes can be useful times to drink the exp bonus elixirs.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

being sinks for your ammo and resources

They are this and also a chance to try out fun toys. Landmines, rockets, grenades, blade traps, dart traps, electric fences, various weapons, turrets, etc. In return you get xp and some dropped loot (which can be quite good!). Horde nights are quite fun once you have the hang of the game.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

HelloSailorSign posted:

And the random Z-pack drops!

Blood moon hordes can be useful times to drink the exp bonus elixirs.

How do you get those when you're on top of a killzone? I always just miss most of the drops.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Got up to bronze equipment in Valheim. I'm going to stick with troll for now for that sweet, sweet sneak bonus. It takes a ton of copper and tin ore to make anything out of bronze. I don't know how people are supposed to be able to afford to make bronze arrows. It takes me multiple hours just to get enough bronze to make or upgrade each piece of equipment.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You can probably get away with skipping bronze armor if you're careful.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

redreader posted:

How do you get those when you're on top of a killzone? I always just miss most of the drops.

Many of them will linger long enough for end of the horde.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You can probably get away with skipping bronze armor if you're careful.

True. Upgraded Troll Armor is enough for a good while. I still recommend crafting the bronze buckler, though. It's the best investment of bronze, aside from tools.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Quill posted:

True. Upgraded Troll Armor is enough for a good while. I still recommend crafting the bronze buckler, though. It's the best investment of bronze, aside from tools.

Bronze buckler, bronze axe, get a finewood bow, murder the 2nd boss with fire arrows. Maybe get a fermenter in there somewhere so you can get healing potions, and you'll want one anyway for poison resist later on.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

That's my biggest issue with Valheim right now. Everything takes so much to craft. With two players it's even worse, now you need twice as much grind or you have to grind separately and then what's the point of playing together. Also, the constant greydwarf attacks where I can't even spend 5 minutes doing anything in peace is ruining the fun.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

VegasGoat posted:

Also, the constant greydwarf attacks where I can't even spend 5 minutes doing anything in peace is ruining the fun.

The wall and spikes (which do damage) outside of it did wonders for the harassment attacks for me and my friends. Sometimes they figure out enough to try and punch a whole through but it’s so much less annoying than the constant harassment. Also, sleep at night if you aren’t.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

There are also a bunch of mods already that address pain points preventing you from boss-rushing. Not saying that's what you want to do, but that and everything in between seem possible. I haven't personally messed with multiplayer or mods, but I understand the server trusts clients enough that changing weights, yields, stack sizes, how portals function, etc in your client works (for you) on a server as well.

Quiz
Mar 1, 2004
finally
Breathedge seems to be made by a Russian company with very little online footprint. Which somehow explained why it was so extra with the retrograde edgelord shtick

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Quill posted:

i used troll armor for the entire game. movement is way more important than defences after a point

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I know the general opinion of breath edge isn't good but it does have enough subnautica elements to keep me playing for now. One thing I never saw mentioned by the game (sorry if I missed it in here) is that holding right trigger will make your movements a lot slower and more controllable.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

VegasGoat posted:

That's my biggest issue with Valheim right now. Everything takes so much to craft. With two players it's even worse, now you need twice as much grind or you have to grind separately and then what's the point of playing together. Also, the constant greydwarf attacks where I can't even spend 5 minutes doing anything in peace is ruining the fun.

It does feel that way but remember that once you craft something you never need to do it again, unlike every other game

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Unless you die. My friend and I got like 200 iron that we spent on a shiny new boat and basic tools/weapons. We then set out on an adventure to see if we could find another swamp but soon as we saw plains my pal promptly beached the boat in front of a goblin camp hosting Mosquitathon 2021 and we got slaughtered.

Everyone dead, boat exploded, like a half an hour boat ride away from our base. We spent like two hours trying to get our gear back. It was miserable and, even if we mercifully got the gear back after several corpse runs, the boat materials were gone forever.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Det_no posted:

Unless you die. My friend and I got like 200 iron that we spent on a shiny new boat and basic tools/weapons. We then set out on an adventure to see if we could find another swamp but soon as we saw plains my pal promptly beached the boat in front of a goblin camp hosting Mosquitathon 2021 and we got slaughtered.

Everyone dead, boat exploded, like a half an hour boat ride away from our base. We spent like two hours trying to get our gear back. It was miserable and, even if we mercifully got the gear back after several corpse runs, the boat materials were gone forever.

I have also had this miserable experience, I think everyone does. It’s frustrating no doubt but personally I sort of like this. It has made us very conscious and careful of portals and made us plan expeditions a little more and it was kind of emergent and neat.

I made a short tutorial based on our experiences:

https://youtu.be/_4dFDBYWuTc

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
My problem with the resource requirements for anything that uses some form of metal is that actually mining tons of poo poo is extremely boring. "Thunk....thunk.....thunk......thunk..." and on and on. It's just tedious for no reason.

Give me some magic or bombs or something to speed the process up. I like running around finding resources but standing in one spot slowly mining away at a node is not fun. You're literally standing in one spot and clicking one mouse button. Over and over and over and over.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I never thought the "have a shiny spot/x and move it around" would be the extent of resource collection innovation, but its sort of me floor for resource collection engagement at this point and pretty much every game falls short.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Mustang posted:

My problem with the resource requirements for anything that uses some form of metal is that actually mining tons of poo poo is extremely boring. "Thunk....thunk.....thunk......thunk..." and on and on. It's just tedious for no reason.

Give me some magic or bombs or something to speed the process up. I like running around finding resources but standing in one spot slowly mining away at a node is not fun. You're literally standing in one spot and clicking one mouse button. Over and over and over and over.

GlyphGryph posted:

I never thought the "have a shiny spot/x and move it around" would be the extent of resource collection innovation, but its sort of me floor for resource collection engagement at this point and pretty much every game falls short.

Which games in particular are you referring to?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Whoops, thought I was in the Valheim thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Survival games really seem to struggle with this, you end up with pointless bases, bases left behind (no man's sky), or mostly pointless bases (subnautica).

There's absolutely value in aesthetics, though I personally don't get much out of it in most survival games

A fully mobile base or very easy transport between them helps, but it still feels like an aspect that's often bolted on to some games because "that's what survival games do" and not always because it really makes the game better