Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

brand engager posted:

That aoe does nearly nothing with essence of the veteran

I mean if you're using essences and lost actions, not a single one of the CEs poses any danger or annoyance :shrug: i was assuming a base line of no shard uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

WoW was, and probably still is, pretty good and if this game didn't exist I am sure I would still be playing it. But thinking back, there have been a lot of time that I hate played WoW (and other MMO's) and it's interesting to me that the times that I have hate played this game are pretty rare. Pretty much isolated to some of the shittier relic steps to be honest.

I think it's a combination of FFXIV being the beneficiary of a single director and producer with a uniquely clear vision for the sort of game he wants to create, and WoW, as a market leader, being under enormous pressure to constantly reinvent itself in order to maintain its preeminent position. FFXIV is fine occupying a specific niche as a more casual, play-as-you-like experience, and that's given it the freedom for its broad strokes to remain basically unchanged since 2.X, aside from the introduction of different types of side content and the overall increasing quality of the content they produce.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Oh you're gonna love Dumdum Reginald!

The CEs are structured in a way that you're pretty much guaranteed to eat poo poo repeatedly the first time you run it. For most of them the mechanics aren't really unfair, though they can be hectic and a lot of them will have at least one "gotcha" that's likely to tag you sometimes even after you think you know the fight well. Then when you actually clear something like Red Choctober without taking a hit you feel like a badass (until you get picked for a duel and eat poo poo in front of an audience).

Honestly I really don't think any of the Bozja stuff is unfair with the possible exception of Slimes/Golems in Savage and that is largely because it's a weird esoteric bunch of loving mechanics that can wipe both parties and even that is 90% the slimes being badly designed. Honestly if you removed Slimes/Golems you'd probably see triple the DRS clears.

The bulk of it either builds off mechanics you've already seen or expects you to be paying attention to the mechanics. The Savage content is effectively the same ol' Extreme method of "Same content but faster and upside down" and since you have to finish DR to even see it you've already got idea of how most things work and can focus on what is weird. For the actual CEs almost all of them either recycle content from previous boss fights in new ways or give you the normal 'learning phase' where it's basically impossible to die. There are some intentionally nasty things but those are balanced out by the fact that Lost Actions are hilariously OP. Lost Reflect basically turns Chocohell into a walk in the park, Banish makes any undead CE melt hilariously fast, etc, etc, and that's even discounting the absurdly OP poo poo like Lost Flare.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vanilla WoW was way more about the worldbuilding and the journey to level cap than the actual like, story-story. the reason the player character isnt presented as invested in anything going on around them is because they barely talk to anyone important. each zone has its own small series of stories and quests that you go through and its about that adventure. the entirety of WoW is built around that structure. WoW has good stories in it, but it's stuff like the darrowshire quest chain where you meet the ghost of a little girl who died in a zombie plague and she asks you to find her dad, and her dad is this badass paladin who betrayed the defenders at the last moment or whatever, and you help his ghost redeem himself and reunite him with his daughter and they pass onto the afterlife happily. that isnt main story stuff its just a random quest chain you can totally fail to find if you arent exploring for it. like the reason wow has that feeling of 'these big writers pets that you barely interact with' is cause thats how vanilla wow presented them. like you'd quest the entire game and see thrall in action maybe once, or you'd get uther's ghost to tell you you're a good boy if you went out of your way for it. it took a full 40 player raid to down kelthuzad, a guy any of the 'main characters' of WoW could easily 1v1 going by Warcraft 3. They're above the player, and designed to be distant.

and imo vanilla wow is very tedious to get through these days but in terms of like, that fun slow exploratory/adventure feel its still pretty good at that. ff14 has some decent sidequests but lets be real, with the amount of exp msq and duty roulette give barely anyone bothers to do them, and there's certainly not much exploring to do unless you wanna find good places to take screenshots of.

and then the actual main story in vanilla wow was just random apocalyptic threats rolling up and demanding you kill them. the onyxia storyline is slightly ambitious but thats about it, naxxramas literally just rolls up and kelthuzad starts making GBS threads zombies on azeroth, there's no actual windup there, if you dont know who kelthuzad is from wc3 hes just some evil skeleton man. and again thats fine because it isnt like, trying to paint a nuanced picture of kelthuzad.

the issue is wow started to get more and more story-focused without actually updating any of its storytelling tools, which led to absurd poo poo like kaelthas, a guy you killed in a previous dungeon, standing on a roof randomly to /yell TEMPEST KEEP WAS MERELY A SETBACK, and this is his big dramatic reveal that hes still alive. so ff14 has decent cutscenes for most every quest these days while wow is still just dumping giant walls of text or having npcs yell at you while you run around killing skeletons. and the exploratory element is completely gone in the name of streamlining, and while gameplay-wise im not gonna sit here and bemoan not spending 17 hours running across the barrens it does lose a lot of the flavor. so wow is just the worst of every world in terms of its ability to tell a coherent narrative.

And the characters are still treated as distant from the player, even though the player is now meant to be related to them, personally talking to them, and 'on their level.'

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 6, 2021

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly if you removed Slimes/Golems you'd probably see triple the DRS clears.

???

I'm sorry that you've been trapped in some hell prog groups. But slimes (golems are a joke) are a 1 wipe, OK we figured it out, now it is trivial type of deal. The only thing easier is probably Bozjan Phantom.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
The big thing that got me hooked on FF14 after playing WoW was exactly how it includes your character in everything. The other scions and military generals and leaders quickly come to view you as an equal and even as a superior in some cases.

I like how all the story always make attempts to include you directly in events. There’s no rando NPC going “Oh yeah, Raubahn said he wants you over at the Ghimlyt Dark. See you there. [Duty Unlocked]” They make your rear end sit down at the strategy meeting where they decide to ask you if you are willing to deploy as the nuclear option in case Zenos shows up.

Just little touches like that, a lot of the action and story happens with you on screen and directly involved no matter how minor it is.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I agree, WoW had some great worldbuilding but struggles with the payoff. Though there are some things, like Ahn'Quiraj, where level design issues aside (that place is huge and empty) you get some great story build-up all through that half of the continent as things progress from "there's a few bugs here" to "hives are now the predominant land feature and there are strange things just below the surface that miners dig up, something's behind those gates far worse than just a big insect." The Emerald Nightmare with all it's build up and then "buy the book to find out what happened, meanwhile here's the aftermath to mop up", not so much.

My biggest gripe though, the reason I stopped playing back in the day, was the 10/25-person raid split. The split was great, it gave smaller guilds like mine something to organize for, but they never should have had the 10-mans have a lower ilevel of gear. With fewer people we found the mechanical demands to be much tighter, usually wiping if you lost a single person. But the rewards were better for doing it with 25 and then those folks would go into 10 overgeared and being jerks about it.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

brand engager posted:

Rank 7 in bozja and the mandragora CE is the only one i've seen that doesn't feel like annoying bullshit. I don't get why they put all these annoying fights here and then removed the timer from vuln stacks

this is funny cause I think the mandragora one is super annoying and just ignore it every time it pops

HenryEx posted:

CEs like the cerberus who has an AOE that puts you at 1 HP at least has the decency to have no other unavoidable damage, so as long as you dodge everything, you won't die even without heals.

Heads up: the Cerberus raidwide behaves like behemoth meteors. It's always center of arena and you can use the dog's body to block it like you would a stone. It can be fiddly but it works.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

hazardousmouse posted:

Heads up: the Cerberus raidwide behaves like behemoth meteors. It's always center of arena and you can use the dog's body to block it like you would a stone. It can be fiddly but it works.

Are you sure that's not just culling and the act of moving behind the boss is putting 47 people between you and the AoE? More's to say, have you gotten that to work when there's, like, 6 of you doing the CE?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I have no idea. What's culling?

also when there's that few people I just leave the zone, I got better poo poo to do

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 6, 2021

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
I've consistently not gotten hit by it just by standing on the edge of the arena.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Culling is the game going "enough people got hit" basically. If you did Pazuzu in Eureka, you could avoid getting hit by his raidwides because you had something like 60 people in there at once. Sounds weird for hard 48 limit per CE though.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've now resubbed and jumped back in by levelling White Mage. I'm at level 52 now, and I think I'm getting over my healing anxiety/shyness. I had one bad experience healing and ever since I was a bit tepid on continuing.... but now I've been jumping into random dungeons and having a decent time! And the one time I wound up letting the tank die, all I had to do was say "sorry my bad" and no one really got mad. AND, that was also during my first dungeon run since resubbing, so I think I've gotten even better since.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

GuyUpNorth posted:

Culling is the game going "enough people got hit" basically. If you did Pazuzu in Eureka, you could avoid getting hit by his raidwides because you had something like 60 people in there at once. Sounds weird for hard 48 limit per CE though.

I've been able to avoid the tornado effect in that CE by just making sure I'm not standing closer to the effect than the majority of the people in there (the whole "I don't need to outrun the bear, I just need to outrun you" principle), so it can definitely happen in Bozja. I think I heard that it only takes 30-something people to start happening.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I've now resubbed and jumped back in by levelling White Mage. I'm at level 52 now, and I think I'm getting over my healing anxiety/shyness. I had one bad experience healing and ever since I was a bit tepid on continuing.... but now I've been jumping into random dungeons and having a decent time! And the one time I wound up letting the tank die, all I had to do was say "sorry my bad" and no one really got mad. AND, that was also during my first dungeon run since resubbing, so I think I've gotten even better since.

Glad to hear it.

14 is definitely the most chill game I've played as far as MMOs go. I mean, it still has its share of toxic assholes, but in my personal experience, they're considerably fewer and further between than in other games.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

90% of assholes in this game self-quarantine themselves in raid party finders and even there they aren't all that common, relatively speaking

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

CYBEReris posted:

90% of assholes in this game self-quarantine themselves in raid party finders and even there they aren't all that common, relatively speaking

I still get anxious when party finding and there aint even voice chat in here.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

the_steve posted:

14 is definitely the most chill game I've played as far as MMOs go. I mean, it still has its share of toxic assholes, but in my personal experience, they're considerably fewer and further between than in other games.

I absolutely agree. Whenever that toxic rear end in a top hat does show themselves though, it almost comes as a shock. Practically every other player I've come across has been incredibly chill and helpful, which only adds to the fact that this game is one of my favs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea you'll always find assholes but I can't even list the countless times I've straight beefed a dungeon/trial run and solved it with a simple 'ah drat, sorry that was me'.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Generally you just have to dive in and do it, kind of similar but I haven't played a healer in a long time and felt like a little change this week as my White Mage is 51-52. Did a quick recap on rotations and popped duty roulette and went into The Wanderer's Palace (Hard) thinking hell yeah; gonna blast some stuff with holy, spread some aeros, not put regen on the main tank during pulls.

Tank decides to wall pull and turned into swiss cheese and I'm reminded how slow spell casting actually is, I say sorry my bad I haven't played this in awhile and the Ninja in the party decides to be a dickbag about it the whole trip. I just stay quiet and think gently caress it I'll play this my way and prioritise the heals over the DPS, and watch the actual DPS party members ignore all the totem spawns during the last boss...

If you want to talk anxiety I normally play Gunbreaker, however if I have to do a trial or boss fight for the first time I change over to Red Mage so there's less pressure for loving up without knowing what's happening :devil:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

sexpig by night posted:

yea you'll always find assholes but I can't even list the countless times I've straight beefed a dungeon/trial run and solved it with a simple 'ah drat, sorry that was me'.

About a month ago I ran Violet Tides through roulette with my SAM, and the tank was just constantly berating the whole group if we missed a mechanic. It was a little off-putting, even after letting them know that I wasn't 100% familiar with the dungeon.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

petcarcharodon posted:

I've consistently not gotten hit by it just by standing on the edge of the arena.

this might be the key, since often when I'm trying to hide behind it, it's being tanked near the edge

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Its big AOE attack is also annoying when playing solo and not on a healing class

this reminds me of the funniest poo poo in bozja. people going into CEs solo, joining a random party, then getting grumpy there's no healer topping them off between raidwides. between potions, potion-kits, lost cure 1 and lost cure 2 you'd think solo peeps would actually pack survival tools.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Speaking of Bozja and DR, what Lost Actions should I be packing as a GNB tank?

I've been sticking with Protect and Shell as a default, but I'm sure there's more useful poo poo I should be using.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

These ivalice cutscenes are unbearably long. I probably wouldnt mind the thin story if they just cut the scenes down by half but as-is theyre awful

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Copycat Zero posted:

I've been able to avoid the tornado effect in that CE by just making sure I'm not standing closer to the effect than the majority of the people in there (the whole "I don't need to outrun the bear, I just need to outrun you" principle), so it can definitely happen in Bozja. I think I heard that it only takes 30-something people to start happening.

The tornado is an air centered on the arena. If you're right up to the edge of the circle it wont hit you.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

BisterdDave posted:

About a month ago I ran Violet Tides through roulette with my SAM, and the tank was just constantly berating the whole group if we missed a mechanic. It was a little off-putting, even after letting them know that I wasn't 100% familiar with the dungeon.

Shisui might be cursed, I once asked a tank if they would please establish aggro on mob packs (playing rdm, should not be getting interrupted by autos) and he threw a big ol hissy fit and stopped tanking 20 seconds into boss #2. Had to finish the thing without him.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

the_steve posted:

I've been sticking with Protect and Shell as a default, but I'm sure there's more useful poo poo I should be using.

I always keep Lost Spellforge around, all of the robots are weak to magic damage and you can buff up your teammates with it too (it has infinite charges like Protect and Shell). I usually keep Lost Cure II as well because I often end up without healing.

I used to run Shell but I don't feel like Protect or Shell have ever really saved me a death, I feel like most times I die is to huge overkill in Bozja.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

For random dungeons and normal raids I would never worry much. Aside from a few weird dungeons having mechanically awkward bosses, overall it's easy to just throw out holy at mobs while using healing cooldowns on your tank, toss aero and stones at bosses while keeping your tank alive, and heal up after party wide damage attacks makes you better than 95% of the people who play WHM.

Once you decide to start doing 24 man or extreme raid stuff is when I'd start reviewing some of the mechanics that are instakill since as a healer you're only 1 of 2 people that can revive assuming your party doesn't have a SMN or RDM.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I will admit that I've let myself succumb to salt every now and then, especially if I'm running roulettes in the morning, but even then it's never a super big deal.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the_steve posted:

Lost Bravery's nice since it's basically free damage, and Lost Cure 2 is a surprisingly powerful oGCD heal, so it's useful to keep yourself alive if you have no healers/don't trust our healers. Tanks also have access to Lost Arise, which is a 3s cast time rez that heals you to full HP and MP, without the target getting rez weakness, so it's great... except someone else will probably swift-rez your target normally and make it a waste.

If you trust your party and you wanna go whole hog on damage, there's the tried-and-true Lost Font of Power/Lost Banner of Noble Ends combo you can use to effectively double the power of your burst phase.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

a cartoon duck posted:

this reminds me of the funniest poo poo in bozja. people going into CEs solo, joining a random party, then getting grumpy there's no healer topping them off between raidwides. between potions, potion-kits, lost cure 1 and lost cure 2 you'd think solo peeps would actually pack survival tools.

I always pack an essence of the beast in case I wind up in a party with no heals (or people using essence of the savior etc) and that by itself is more than enough to keep me alive. I may do less potential dps than if I was using a damage essence but if the party wants me to do more than that they can spot me heals to cover unavoidable hits. :colbert:

Lost Shell and Lost Protect can sometimes be nice in Castrum or Bozja proper but they're almost entirely useless in DR. After all, two hits will kill you no matter what anyway. Bring along a banner or something instead.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 6, 2021

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I usually only get salty at toxic players who suck at the game, but my salt just manifests as vote-kicking them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Systematic System posted:

???

I'm sorry that you've been trapped in some hell prog groups. But slimes (golems are a joke) are a 1 wipe, OK we figured it out, now it is trivial type of deal. The only thing easier is probably Bozjan Phantom.

Haha what? I get you're trying to flex but "Ravana but slightly faster" and "Can you mildly pay attention to mechanics Godzilla" are infinitely faster to clear. Any time I've helped people on a run it's always slimes that are the roadblock to them learning the rest. Pretty much any time a fresh group gets past Slimes they'll get to at least Queen's Guard.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I had a monk in the aery the other day who ran way out in front of the tank, got aggro and died, then the healer ignored their corpse so they alt+F4'd in shame and anger. The very charitable tank chalked it up to bad connection but that's a very suspiciously timed DC, my friend.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Control Volume posted:

I usually only get salty at toxic players who suck at the game, but my salt just manifests as vote-kicking them

Same.

Also I feel like a broken record at this point but the cure to [role/content] anxiety for a lot of people is to just do it, fail, and realize that all failure "cost" you was like 90 seconds and now you know what went wrong and are more confident and knowledgeable for later. This isn't "quitting your boring desk job and trying to make it as a traveling food critic" levels of potential disaster, this is spending less than two minutes getting back where you were and maybe, MAYBE getting smacked with the "......" from the SMN doing a third of your dps. I believe in you, gamer. Now believe in yourself!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Now the only healer anxiety I have is when I decided to put all my future buttons onto my hotbar to decide where they go and then I got anxious about all the buttons. It's a lot.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Valhawk posted:

The tornado is an air centered on the arena. If you're right up to the edge of the circle it wont hit you.

P. sure it's not limited by distance and if enough people are dead / missing, you still get hit on the outside.

The way all AOEs in the game work is basically a damage blast quickly spiraling out from the center of origin, hitting and damaging the people around it in the order it hits them. This is why incoming damage across party members is slightly delayed between them, and you can even see that happen on party buffs you throw out - people on your list will get the buff one after another in quick succession, it doesn't happen simultaneously.

For reasons probably pertaining to error mitigation, these AOEs alwayas have a maximum number of targets they can hit in addition to a maximum range. So if there's enough warm bodies in between you and the AOE source, it'll peter out before it reaches you. Previously, you could only really see that happen with S Rank mobs, where AOEs won't hit you if you stand out at medium range and there's another 100 players clumped up on it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Haha what? I get you're trying to flex but "Ravana but slightly faster" and "Can you mildly pay attention to mechanics Godzilla" are infinitely faster to clear. Any time I've helped people on a run it's always slimes that are the roadblock to them learning the rest. Pretty much any time a fresh group gets past Slimes they'll get to at least Queen's Guard.

I literally didn't know which fight you meant by golems because all 5 of my DR runs have 1 shot them. The only fight I've ever wiped at was Thermometer Wizard.

All the chess lords have 1 Mechanic all of which are just mechanics you've already seen in this game over and over. The one trick one is just the Shadowlord Normal tether to shadow ones again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

sometimes i get a wee bit salty when i get otherwise nice but atrociously incompetent players in my party. like the crown of the immaculate where a solid half of the party insisted on eating every single aoe marker, including one tank who did that while insisting they MUST spam provoke on cooldown so they could eat unmitigated tankbusters so the dark knight using rampart and blackest night stays safe

usually i try to shrug it off and rez people if they play poorly because not getting to play the video game sucks, but the fight legitimately got easier when i stopped trying to rez people with double rez sickness.