Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Here's a video on the Rivian doing cold-weather testing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjjyeJ21YKQ

Video unavailable
This video contains content from PIAS, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It would be fun to drive up and have the machinery just take a chunk out of your car because it doesn't know wtf to do though. If batteries were like AAs in the bottom of a cheap RC car I'd be like "yeah this idea is good" but they're clearly not for a variety of reasons you've mentioned already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxqhd4FkP0c

Stupid or not, it's already being done over in china. Can see how it turns out for them.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 5, 2021

stevewm
May 10, 2005
https://insideevs.com/news/492387/hyundai-confirms-kona-electric-fires-cause/

So they claimed to have figured it out.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

quote:

According to Hyundai, it was indeed a folded anode tab in the batteries that caused the fires. Remember that these folded anode tabs could also be on the Chevrolet Bolt EV, which uses LG Energy Solution cells and also experienced fires recently.

Well that certainly sounds like something GM won't be able to 100% fix via software only.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Hyundai also tried a software fix.. it didn't work.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irm8xMZQr0w

234 miles on a single charge at 70mph and ~40 degree weather. Should be able to exceed the 250 mile EPA rating at highway speeds in warmer temps. Not bad!

Charging speed seems good too.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Updates on the Buzz from some random German website via reddit:

https://edison.media/idbuzz-der-elektrische-vw-bus-nimmt-endlich-fahrt-auf/25214792/

quote:

Summary:
Production starts in February 2022, deliveries at the end of July
4.7 meters in length, up to 7 seats (2-3-2)
Long wheelbase version (close to 5 meters long) coming in spring 2023 at the earliest (that's also the reason for the delay in the US because only the longer version will be released there)
First self-driving versions using Argo AI technology will start field trial this year, full service in selected cities expected in the middle of this decade
Interior is similar to the ID.3 and ID.4, including the AR HUD
At start it will only come with a single 150 kW motor RWD, the AWD version isn't expected before 2024
The entry version will have a battery capacity of around 60 kWh, the long range version roughly 100 kWh for over 500 km range
Price: 40,000-60,000 Euros

So, only the long version for the US in 2023. I didn't even know there were going to be multiple versions.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The cross turismo configurator is on the website, amusingly it has even more options than the regular Taycan. Looks to me like it's pretty much the same cost, maybe a couple of thousand more. There are some new wheels which are quite nice.

Two of my friends have booked test drives so far, I had thought it would be pretty niche but maybe there are a load of 5 series touring owners that can be tempted by something like this.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cross Turismo is the absolute worst, focus grouped, beige, bland, antithesis of exciting name for a car, it actually inhibits any interest I might have in it. Corolla is a more exciting name.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Finger Prince posted:

Cross Turismo is the absolute worst, focus grouped, beige, bland, antithesis of exciting name for a car, it actually inhibits any interest I might have in it. Corolla is a more exciting name.

It’s the Taycan Cross Turismo, so it’s name is Taycan.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irm8xMZQr0w

234 miles on a single charge at 70mph and ~40 degree weather. Should be able to exceed the 250 mile EPA rating at highway speeds in warmer temps. Not bad!

Charging speed seems good too.

I got my email today to finalize my order and pay the remainder of the deposit for my non-1st edition so I guess US production is expected to start soon.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s the Taycan Cross Turismo, so it’s name is Taycan.

Yeah, it has. By Honda.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Well for that matter, Taycan is also a pretty poo poo name. And Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo S has so many things wrong it's untrue.

It's still the best EV you can buy so I think you'd get over the name fairly quickly.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm holding out for the Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo S RS GT

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah, it has. By Honda.

Interesting that this looks pretty identical to a Model 3.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Interesting that this looks pretty identical to a Model 3.

If you'd seen one in person, you wouldn't think that.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1368017749851598850?s=20

In true Tesla fashion, how to let them know is left as an exercise to the reader. Is a tweet to papa Elon enough? Should you make a service request? I feel sorry for all the random employees that are going to have to deal with filtering through all the calls and requests that are going to happen because Musk decided to tweet something.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You have to send them a bitcoin

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

1 like = 5 minutes of fully self driving action

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I totally missed all of the Ioniq 5 stuff, it looks...really good? Good amount of range, solid aesthetics, great use of space for cabin and cargo, infotainment looks decent and supposedly will use the SK batteries. This is the first other EV I've seen that makes me want to get rid of my Model 3 and go with that instead. It would be a big step up in several departments without the big price jump of the Y. Anyways really interested in it! I don't know what the price will be but I imagine I could probably swap cars without any cash involved and the writeoffs on this one will have eaten the depreciation for me. Looks like a better deal than the ID4 to me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I am really keen to see when the ioniq 5s arrive in numbers to check one out. My wife has a santa fe sport that she wants to upgrade and this might be a great option.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1368329387733512193?s=20

Now you can sit and :f5: in your car.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Any idea if Tesla is actually close to a safe release of the full self driving? Just curious if this is a huge coincidence that the wide beta release is happening just as real competition (Ford and VW) is hitting dealerships, and the stock price is staring to trend downward.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Orvin posted:

Any idea if Tesla is actually close to a safe release of the full self driving? Just curious if this is a huge coincidence that the wide beta release is happening just as real competition (Ford and VW) is hitting dealerships, and the stock price is staring to trend downward.

No, Tesla and everybody else are still decades away from full self driving.

It's just advanced driver assist despite the marketing hype. It can "fully self drive" in very limited, well marked situations, like following lanes on a highway.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ola posted:

I'm holding out for the Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo S RS GT

Letting Capcom name cars now....

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Silly Burrito posted:

Letting Capcom name cars now....

Bring back Auto Modellista, I've been saying this for years.

papa elon, put AR on the front windshield so everything looks cel-shaded please

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

It's just advanced driver assist despite the marketing hype. It can "fully self drive" in very limited, well marked situations, like following lanes on a highway.

So you are paying $10k for Tesla’s version of GM’s Supercruise? Gotcha. That sounds much more reasonable.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Deteriorata posted:

Oh wow, how long have you been working in the autonomous vehicles field?

Elon Musk
Jun 2, 2020

X Ash AXII

Shamino posted:

Oh wow, how long have you been working in the autonomous vehicles field?

I'm not giving you FSD for free, you can take my dick out of your mouth.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

KozmoNaut posted:

Tesla uses 18650 cells, right? Just load 'em like a shotgun magazine.

If I ever have to get a prosthetic arm, I want it to have a loading gate for new 18650s and pump action to eject the spent ones.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008

Elon Musk posted:

Buying a gimmick acc to post this gross poo poo.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The only thing I'm worried about with the Ioniq 5 is what the interior quality will be like.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Orvin posted:

So you are paying $10k for Tesla’s version of GM’s Supercruise? Gotcha. That sounds much more reasonable.

There are loads of people in the replies to those tweets saying they paid $4-6k for FSD and their leases are nearly up. Make of that what you will.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elon Musk posted:

This really is the worst gimmick ever. There's not even the slightest trace of caricature. If there's any attempt at actual parody behind it, it's landing so far off the mark that the FAA is compelled to investigate.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

GoutPatrol posted:

Bring back Auto Modellista, I've been saying this for years.

Yup, such a great looking game. It never quite handled right but sort that and I'm buying.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

cakesmith handyman posted:

There are loads of people in the replies to those tweets saying they paid $4-6k for FSD and their leases are nearly up. Make of that what you will.

Oh wow, I hadn't thought about people who paid for FSD on a lease... Talk about getting burned.

I do not expect FSD to really be ready through the life of my vehicle which I expect to keep into the late 2020s, which is part of why I didn't get it when it was $7k (also that was still too much).

Though it wouldn't surprise me if in the next 2-3 years the forever FSD beta becomes more reliable and safer than human drivers in good conditions, not really a stretch because autopilot is already significantly safer than human drivers on freeways in good weather.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ola posted:

This really is the worst gimmick ever. There's not even the slightest trace of caricature. If there's any attempt at actual parody behind it, it's landing so far off the mark that the FAA is compelled to investigate.

So what you’re saying is that it’s Harrison Ford’s account.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Is there a good place to look up home level 2 charger reviews?

I have pretty much settled on buying a Mach-E, I just need to start checking with local dealerships to see who actually has what is listed on their site. But I need to get a charger installed at some point as well. I am trying to figure out if there is any advantage to going with the Ford charger over any of the other brands out there. I plan on having an electrician hard wire in the charger, as I have read that some outlets do not react well to hours of high amp draw. I think that is easily mitigated with an industrial grade outlet though.

Consumer Reports doesn’t go into much detail, but they like the Juicebox 40 and the Chargepoint Home Flex. Anyone have experience with either of those?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

New Scientist has an article out today about self driving cars and researchers saying that pedestrians should wear sensors in order to not get mowed down by them.

If your car already fitted with 360 degree sensor arrays and supermagic AI capable of billions of calculations a second isn't already able to avoid hitting stuff they should probably not be on the roads yet.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2270282-should-we-all-wear-sensors-to-avoid-being-run-over-by-driverless-cars

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrn_9OwVxKA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

New Scientist has an article out today about self driving cars and researchers saying that pedestrians should wear sensors in order to not get mowed down by them.

If your car already fitted with 360 degree sensor arrays and supermagic AI capable of billions of calculations a second isn't already able to avoid hitting stuff they should probably not be on the roads yet.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2270282-should-we-all-wear-sensors-to-avoid-being-run-over-by-driverless-cars

quote:

says a team of researchers that has created a device to make people more visible to a vehicle’s artificial intelligence.
No bias there.