Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
One of like, my tertiary cousins was selling Filter Queen vacuums around the time I built my house, so ofc I get roped into buying one. It was stupid expensive, but I can honestly say that I just won't ever have to buy another vacuum in my lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

My parents paid a ton for the "last year's model" Kirby in like 1998, and it is still probably the nicest vacuum I've used. We have a Miele, and it's pretty nice.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Quiet Feet posted:

No, my wife better stay the gently caress out of my kitchen. :mad:

Edit: now she's in here making a sandwich for our daughter! Get out of here!

:same:

My wife can identify the kitchen and where it is in the house, but that's about it.

Speaking of kitchens, is there any little space saving device or storage solution anyone absolutely loves? Like any part of your kitchen or one you've seen that you covet? We're getting more into the detail work of redesigning ours, and I don't even know how to search for novel storage ideas.

e: For example I'm definitely looking into something to be able to store cutting boards and cookie sheets vertically in a cabinet

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Highly recommend keeping an eye on online auctions and estate sales. I got my Roomba lightly used for about a quarter of its original price. It's one of those home items I love to have but never would have owned if I had to pay full price (this was one of the ~$600 models)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Roomba's are okay as long as you know their limitations, so the best advice I have with them is get one at a place you know you can return it within a month or whatever if it doesn't work out well. If you have pets that shed a ton to the point you have tumbleweeds of hair all over the place, or you're trying to use one to cover your a large area, they probably aren't going to significantly replace vacuuming depending on which model you get. This gets magnified if you've got a lot of areas they can't get into (Under certain tables or chairs). I haven't had to deal with them in two years since I left BB&B, but some models were definitely better than others, but the high end ones were stupid expensive (Like $1,200 for one that included a base that emptied it for you). The most positive results with them that I've seen and heard of first hand are people using them to cover just certain sections of a home and basically divide the work. My aunt for example has used a Roomba for years to cover the upstairs part of her home and it handles the halls/open areas so she only needs to use a smaller handheld vacuum to get corners and stuff, rather than lugging the full heavier vacuum there for everything.

Dyson's are okay but never pay full price for the latest model or whatever. The drat things are like cars and as soon as new model comes out every 8 months or so, they drop the price on the previous models by 20% or more overnight and go down from there. Older models and refurbs will be even cheaper, but don't go too far back on some of the older models as the battery life on some of them can drop pretty quick. Like, there was one model that was heavily advertised as having a 20-minute run time on a full charge, but within months we were getting tons returned cause the batteries wore out quick as hell and cut that time in half, particularly if they were getting used heavily. They were getting a lot better about the battery life after that model (V6 maybe?), and I think they've also got models now with quick replace batteries that helps with that.

Shark's are pretty good too, and tend to be more affordable.

tldr on vacuums: just check for decent reviews, and make sure you can return it if you don't like it.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Rectal Placenta posted:

I'm now entering I Am Old Now Chat due to looking at reviews for steam cleaners and getting excited by all the cleaning possibilities of the different attachments

Someone please explain to me how a drat steam cleaner works because I’ve never used one that actually got rid of wrinkles.

I’ve had to iron and I don’t like ironing so if there’s some mythical steam cleaner that does work, please let this goon know.

Does steaming only work on certain fabrics?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

My wife can identify the kitchen and where it is in the house, but that's about it.

Speaking of kitchens, is there any little space saving device or storage solution anyone absolutely loves? Like any part of your kitchen or one you've seen that you covet? We're getting more into the detail work of redesigning ours, and I don't even know how to search for novel storage ideas.

e: For example I'm definitely looking into something to be able to store cutting boards and cookie sheets vertically in a cabinet

I mounted a magnetic strip to the side of a cabinet by the sink and I absolutely love it. No more knives laying out on the drying rack or laying wait in a drawer if you're getting something else out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Are today’s roombas significantly better than the roombas of 15 years ago?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m just remembering some really old rear end ask/tell thread of a door to door Dyson salesman.

My parents got suckered by a door to door salesman into buying a Rainbow back in the 80s or 90s that used water as a filter. That was probably the worst vaccum I've ever used but it sure made the water brown if nothing else.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Braksgirl posted:

I really wish someone would kick me out of the kitchen someday. What a treat.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I think I've told this story before but years and years ago when we'd first moved in together, it occurred to me that I was doing all of the cooking every week. I stopped and asked my now-wife if she ever got jealous that I was the only one who ever got to. She looked at me like I was insane. She hates cooking and has been very, very happy to leave me to it. Like I guess I can see how someone might view it as a chore but I've always loved how you can take various ingredients and sort of magic them into something more than the sum of their parts. When she was on her own she was happy to just make ramen or TV dinners or instant/frozen :effort: stuff.

Edit: the house we moved into had central vac which broke a couple of years after we moved in. It wasn't really any better than a regular vacuum and finding storage for yards of vacuum hose was annoying. That is my central vac story thank you.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Timby posted:

In the series finale, ... And then Sisko and Dukat fight, and they (and the Kosst Amojan) fall into the sacred flames, killing them both and locking the Pah Wraiths away forever.

I don't think Sisko actually dies, but instead goes to live with the Prophets and told Kasidy that he'd return in a year or yesterday.

Braksgirl posted:

You do not want me to get started on the churchy wife poo poo. You do not.

I actually kinda do now ...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
murica

https://twitter.com/MrOlmos/status/1368261041696632832

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are today’s roombas significantly better than the roombas of 15 years ago?

A good bit, yeah. Obviously new ones have app controls and stuff like that which weren't a common thing even 5 years ago, never mind 15, cause I remember when they introduced that (So many old people complained about not wanting it). The battery life on newer ones is a lot better, both in terms of running time per charge and lifespan. For cleaning they've gotten better with poo poo like HEPA filters, better brushes, and poo poo like that. As they go along, they've improved navigation a lot, and newer models have room mapping which allows them to run, recharge, and then resume where they left off while older models would just stop and go back to their charging station. The older models were all numbered (400 series, 500 series, etc) and the difference between most of those was fairly minor until you got to the really upper end lines (800 and 900 series). Those were just getting replaced by the i-Series when I got out of there, but those were the ones that added the charging base that also emptied the Roomba itself, so you only needed to empty the base every now and then depending on how often you ran the thing.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Silly Burrito posted:

My parents got suckered by a door to door salesman into buying a Rainbow back in the 80s or 90s that used water as a filter. That was probably the worst vaccum I've ever used but it sure made the water brown if nothing else.

We had a water filtered vacuum growing up too. It was disgusting and I was never sure what to do with this filthy water once I was done. I think their only benefit is they tend to capture fine dust a lot better.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

quote:

A Florida woman has been charged for beating her roommate, also her cousin, for blasting the 1978 Chic hit “Le Freak” shortly after midnight Tuesday at their apartment in the Tampa Bay area, The Smoking Gun reports.

Mary Ann Lannon, 53, was charged with domestic battery, a misdemeanor, for attacking the 64-year-old, whose name was not released, after she “became upset” because the victim was playing the song “over and over again very loudly,” according to an arrest affidavit obtained by the outlet.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/florida-woman-beats-roommate-over-repeatedly-playing-le-freak/ar-BB1ejuS0?ocid=msedgntp

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Does anybody have any experience with filing a noise complaint? A few months back, our neighbors installed half a dozen ultrasonic animal deterrent boxes in their yard. They make an annoying, high-pitched, oscillating sort of sound lasting several seconds and they go off a couple times a minute. You can faintly hear these things from every room in our house and, if the weather were warmer, they'd be ruining any attempt to sit on the porch and read a book or peacefully do some grilling. We finally sent the woman next door a letter about it last week (it felt important to do stuff in writing with this neighbor, she's already embroiled in lawsuits with the folks on the other side of her) but that accomplished jack poo poo. The animals just ignore these things, the only thing they're actually doing is annoying my family all day and all night.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

Does anybody have any experience with filing a noise complaint? A few months back, our neighbors installed half a dozen ultrasonic animal deterrent boxes in their yard. They make an annoying, high-pitched, oscillating sort of sound lasting several seconds and they go off a couple times a minute. You can faintly hear these things from every room in our house and, if the weather were warmer, they'd be ruining any attempt to sit on the porch and read a book or peacefully do some grilling. We finally sent the woman next door a letter about it last week (it felt important to do stuff in writing with this neighbor, she's already embroiled in lawsuits with the folks on the other side of her) but that accomplished jack poo poo. The animals just ignore these things, the only thing they're actually doing is annoying my family all day and all night.

man that sounds annoying. I’ve never filed a complaint but it’s basically just calling your local law enforcement and telling them the situation. Then it depends on what local noise laws are in place.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

It's been a year of this same poo poo and I'm so loving tired of caring about these people and "doing the right thing" and all the other bullshit I'm supposed to think about when the right does something stupid.

For once I want them to deal with the repercussions of their stupidity. But nope, gotta be the better person, more good people than bad, etc etc.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ehud posted:

man that sounds annoying. I’ve never filed a complaint but it’s basically just calling your local law enforcement and telling them the situation. Then it depends on what local noise laws are in place.

Yea, your options are talk to them, which you already did, and call the police. If they’re already embroiled in a lawsuit with another neighbor, then they seem like the kind of people who don’t respond to polite requests.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

It's been a year of this same poo poo and I'm so loving tired of caring about these people and "doing the right thing" and all the other bullshit I'm supposed to think about when the right does something stupid.

For once I want them to deal with the repercussions of their stupidity. But nope, gotta be the better person, more good people than bad, etc etc.

Yep dealing with the same crap from my in-laws.

They all thought it was a hoax overblown etc.

My nephew in law is having a birthday party this weekend. They don't understand why I don't want to go.

They all have the vaccine due to either being old, law enforcement, or healthcare

But I'm the one living in a bubble and I shouldn't let this ruin my life any longer.

GTFOH.

And yes, there is a non zero chance that they want me dead lol.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Blowjob Overtime posted:

My parents in law recently redid theirs and every lower cabinet is full extension drawers and now I want nothing but when I get the chance to redo mine. Not having to bend and reach for stuff in the back is amazing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I don't think Sisko actually dies, but instead goes to live with the Prophets and told Kasidy that he'd return in a year or yesterday.

Yes and no.

Sisko's corporeal form dies. :pseudo:

As originally written and filmed, Sisko never said anything about returning one day. Brooks shot the scene as written, but he was uncomfortable with it right from the start, as the optics of a Black man skipping town on his son and pregnant wife to go jet-setting with some wormhole aliens just didn't sit right with him and played into a lot of racial stereotypes. So he personally appealed to Ira Behr, who wrote some new dialogue about Sisko promising his return.

One of the reasons that was so important to Brooks was his relationship with Cirroc Lofton. Lofton was just 13 when he started working on DS9, so here he is, just startiyoung adulthood and puberty and all that jazz, yet starring on a show that had long-rear end working hours. Brooks knew how rocky of a situation Lofton was in, so he immediately took him under his wing and essentially adopted him as his work son. Brooks would help Lofton with his rehearsals, made sure he was keeping up with his schoolwork, helped him get ready to go out on dates with girls, the whole nine yards. He also brought his own son, who was only a year apart from Lofton, to the set quite often, because he wanted to be sure Lofton had the opportunity to socialize with someone his own age instead of just a bunch of actors, knowing that it's pretty hard to grow up as a normal kid when you're in Hollywood, and he wanted Lofton to be as well-adjusted as one could hope for. Basically, Brooks was raising Lofton from Day One and continued to be his mentor long after the show ended. (For example, Lofton used to have a restaurant in Los Angeles, and Brooks would often make appearances there and at the wine bar next door--which Lofton's wife owned--to drum up business.)

So if you're ever finding yourself thinking that Sisko and Jake have really good on-screen chemistry, it's because the actors had a legitimate father-son relationship, and the love you see on the screen was absolutely very genuine and real both on-camera and off.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Spent my Saturday morning patching our Exchange servers because there’s a massive exploit that’s been abused to hell - estimated 30K organizations affected in the US alone. Fortunately we seem to be uncompromised, but talk about stress. Love 2 work in IT baby, it’s the best :shepicide:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Freaquency posted:

Spent my Saturday morning patching our Exchange servers because there’s a massive exploit that’s been abused to hell - estimated 30K organizations affected in the US alone. Fortunately we seem to be uncompromised, but talk about stress. Love 2 work in IT baby, it’s the best :shepicide:

Oof sorry you are still dealing with on prem exchange

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Freaquency posted:

No time for that, you've got a vCenter to upgrade. :colbert:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
In vermin control chat from a few days back news:

My mom was complaining something was vacuuming up her bird food from the feeders and she hadn't seen any squirrels so I put some traps out in some hidey holes last night and checked just now and one trap under this hose holder box thing got two rats in one go.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Qwijib0 posted:

Oof sorry you are still dealing with on prem exchange

lol took my reply

I haaaaaaated having an on prem mail server.

Office 365 is dumb and slow to work in, but man it beats the alternative.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ehud posted:

Office 365 is dumb and slow to work in, but man it beats the alternative.

:hai:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I’m actually in the planning stages of moving away from on-prem. The guy who was here before me hated anything cloud-related so it’s been a slow process of migrating stuff, but I’m starting to get buy-in from the powers that be now. When I was in the MSP world I worked with O365 a bunch and hated it much more than on-prem, but I understand that a lot has changed over the last several years so I might as well make the jump.

Silly Burrito posted:

No time for that, you've got a vCenter to upgrade. :colbert:

Just one of many things on the infrastructure project list that’s as long as my arm. I know probably 99%+ of upgrades don’t run into the issues that you had but that anecdote didn’t exactly make me want to push it up the list!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/channingfrye/status/1368214023783686145?s=19

https://twitter.com/Larrydn22/status/1368215915528134656?s=19

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Replacements was on while I was eating pancakes, so today is the day I realized that these two fine people are the same actor:

I'm sure the rest of you knew that but there it is.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
You smell good, Shane. Is that yam?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/jaredpushner/status/1367946693531025413?s=21

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Wanna blow your mind, watch PCU and guess which character ends up controlling the fate of two separate billion dollar franchises

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leperflesh posted:

Replacements was on while I was eating pancakes, so today is the day I realized that these two fine people are the same actor:

He directed that second film too.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cream rises to the top in hollywood

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Leperflesh posted:

This is the middle part of the journey of Eric the Clown to eventually leading the Death Watch with the Darksaber (The good one).

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

GD_American posted:

Wanna blow your mind, watch PCU and guess which character ends up controlling the fate of two separate billion dollar franchises

You’re wearing the shirt of the band you’re going to go see. Don’t be that guy.

PCU is my favorite comedy. It combines all of my favorite things. Ultimate frisbee, George Clinton, Hepcat, and dumb jokes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Last year I tried to do that "let's watch football movies" thread during the offseason, and it didn't really go anywhere but I could probably bump it again if there's interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Necessary Roughness is the only one you need to see.