Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

victrix posted:

Wolf bored the hell out of me but I liked Project Warlock quite a bit

Project Warlock is fantastic I just wish it ran a little better. Was still able to finish it though. Something about the style is like Wolfenstein by way of Irem or something and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

david_a posted:

Saying that the Mac Wolf 3D has “enhanced graphics” needs a giant asterisk since they didn’t bother doing any sprite rotations on that version.

ECWolf has alpha quality support you can enable. I think your only other option is to get a Mac 68K emulator working.

Edit: looks like the Mac version doesn’t tint the screen when you take damage either, which would make it much harder:

https://youtu.be/yhjQcA1TehI

Cheers thank you!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Hmm, I can't seem to get the fov.mml mod to work in the new version of Aleph One. I've dropped it into my scripts folder but nothing seems to change once I load up a level. Anyone got this working that wouldn't mind sharing their setup please?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
always good to see progress reports on the df source port

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DoombatINC posted:

I might still be salty about a twenty year old "this source port should have modern mouse aim" vs "but that wouldn't be authentic to the original experience!" community divide :cheeky:

Modern mouse aim has also been added to Aleph One in the last couple of years. :)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The fact that The Force Engine is open source from the beginning is very promising, but just be prepared for the possibility that lucius vanishes off the face of the earth for half a year when it’s tantalizingly close to a release.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

awesome thanks, I didn't even realize it wasn't a .pk3

sure. .pke SHOULD be the same thing and it works fine when you drag it on to the EE exe. not sure why it trips up Doom Launcher

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I think this just shows how well early Doom and Quake games are put together is a testament to Carmack’s and Romero’s programming abilities. Given contemporary engines like Build and A1 are supposed nightmares to work with and all the different source ports for the early iD games have show it’s a lower barrier to entry.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I think this just shows how well early Doom and Quake games are put together is a testament to Carmack’s and Romero’s programming abilities. Given contemporary engines like Build and A1 are supposed nightmares to work with and all the different source ports for the early iD games have show it’s a lower barrier to entry.

Indeed. A few posts ago I mentioned the Wolf3d black book. In the Doom black book my biggest takeaway was even the original DOS game was kind of a port, in the sense that they developed the game on NeXT.

So from the very beginning Doom had to be modular, cross-platform, and make very few core assumptions about its OS. Turns out that restriction plus Carmack being a "resident of the binding of in-between space that holds reality together" makes for a quality codebase.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

DoombatINC posted:

That grognard poo poo is why A1 is literal decades behind GZDoom and is itself part of why the current user base is so small, like I came to the realization years ago that if I wanted to make a modern Marathon campaign my first step would be getting terminals working in GZDoom

Doom has always been much more popular than Marathon, so it makes sense it attracted more people to develop the open source versions.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

One of the best decisions they made, which was purely dumb luck as they couldn't have the foresight to know how super popular it would turn out, was to develop Doom not on DOS despite but a only DOS game, but on an Unix OS (Nextstep). That obligated them to make a very modular structure to the innards of the game, which surprise, it helped a lot when the game was later ported to other systems and also when the code was open and people started porting it to fridges and calculators.
edit: seems I have been sniped while I wrote my post!

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
holy loving poo poo a new skilsaw release, I know why I’m doing tonight

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Project Warlock is fantastic I just wish it ran a little better. Was still able to finish it though. Something about the style is like Wolfenstein by way of Irem or something and I love it.

I still feel like something like that game but more fleshed out is an fps I'd play and replay often

Going lower res on the assets prevents the shadow warrior 2 problem and let's you do tons of cool environments and enemy types

Unfortunately the 2.5d nature limits what you can do monster design wise

... so 3d project warlock with 50 environments each with unique enemies, procedurally generated but in 3d with low fi graphics

... and now it's obvious why that doesn't exist :v:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

I might still be salty about a twenty year old "this source port should have modern mouse aim" vs "but that wouldn't be authentic to the original experience!" community divide :cheeky:

I refuse to play with noclipping projectiles and blockmap and no one on earth can make me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

victrix posted:

I still feel like something like that game but more fleshed out is an fps I'd play and replay often

Going lower res on the assets prevents the shadow warrior 2 problem and let's you do tons of cool environments and enemy types

... so 3d project warlock with 50 environments each with unique enemies, procedurally generated but in 3d with low fi graphics

... and now it's obvious why that doesn't exist :v:

isn't that nightmare reaper

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

david_a posted:

The fact that The Force Engine is open source from the beginning is very promising, but just be prepared for the possibility that lucius vanishes off the face of the earth for half a year when it’s tantalizingly close to a release.

Yeah, I'm not gonna get excited about this until it's actually out. I watched the XLEngine far too long to get fully taken in. I hope it makes it this time, everything else in the XLEngine has a source port or engine recreation and God knows Dark Forces deserves one too, but I am not going to have any expectations that this one comes out either.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'm not excited, but seeing a progress report means it isn't dead yet

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I guess the way I see it, I saw a lot of progress reports on the XLEngine that sounded very similar to these ones and it ended up mattering very little. I'll start cutting Lucius some slack if things start coming out though, if Teyon can release that Terminator game after their Rambo game then Lucius can certainly make a comeback in my eyes.

Does anybody have any advice for getting into Ziggurat? I've been trying it out and I'm not sure I like it, but I don't quite know if I'm missing something, just having terrible luck, or if it's just not the game for me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1368366800648347650?s=20

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Wait, does he load the shotgun with the lighter?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

victrix posted:

to be honest project warlock environments being a lot more limited than doom environments matters more to me

also I know that doom 2 did it with shotgun/super shotgun, but I don't like pressing a button twice to cycle through 2 guns bound to that button. and project warlock does that with everything

A.o.D. posted:

Wait, does he load the shotgun with the lighter?
normally with the lighter out he holds the shotgun with just 1 hand, once he finishes reloading it incorrectly switches to the normal 2-handed shotgun grip(while also holding the lighter with a 3rd hand)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yup it's like those clips where someone reloads with a third hand because they're holding the rifle with the other two.

https://twitter.com/KinoFabino/status/1368392850656919555?s=20

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 7, 2021

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

to be honest project warlock environments being a lot more limited than doom environments matters more to me

also I know that doom 2 did it with shotgun/super shotgun, but I don't like pressing a button twice to cycle through 2 guns bound to that button. and project warlock does that with everything
normally with the lighter out he holds the shotgun with just 1 hand, once he finishes reloading it incorrectly switches to the normal 2-handed shotgun grip(while also holding the lighter with a 3rd hand)

I was about to say that I only ever see two hands, but then I noticed at the end of the video there is indeed a third hand, or at least two left hands.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I think I might be done with Ziggurat. I managed to unlock a few characters, so I feel like I've given it a fair shot, but drat was that disappointing. Do weapons unlock randomly, or is there an order? Because in the time it took me to unlock four characters I don't think I got any new slot 2 weapons, and the three I had (or the three I kept getting) were all miserable.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

catlord posted:

I think I might be done with Ziggurat. I managed to unlock a few characters, so I feel like I've given it a fair shot, but drat was that disappointing. Do weapons unlock randomly, or is there an order? Because in the time it took me to unlock four characters I don't think I got any new slot 2 weapons, and the three I had (or the three I kept getting) were all miserable.

The weapons in that game were really unsatisfying. If they get better the further you go, I never had enough interest to keep trying.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/gameralphabeta/status/1368384420311351299?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Heh, that actually doesn't look bad

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The aggressive door opening reminds me of Dead Cells!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/JasozzGames/status/1368588242526801924?s=20

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I realize this has probably been posted before, so my apologies, but I just discovered this interesting deep dive on GoldenEye's AI. Given the recent leak of the Xbox Arcade port, I figured it was worth a quick review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9sOE376tzk

Two things I didn't know.

1. Guards will produce clones of themselves if activated, but not rendered yet. That explains why in some levels if you go guns out or trigger an alarm, you get endless waves of enemies until you progress to a certain point

2. The AI development of Goldeneye had a huge impact on Valve, who claim it was one reason why they scrapped and re-worked Half Life half way through it's development.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Saw this yesterday and it looks fun, apart from perhaps the bad guys seem exceptionally slow on the trigger (but maybe that's just to facilitate an easier door-booting demo)

also;

The Days Before Mouse

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
No mouse, keyboard only, Final Destination was how I played all my FPSes until Half-Life. :c00l:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/DanielWienerson/status/1367996072891576320

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Wow, that's gorgeous voxel work. Matched with Blood's monster design it almost looks like claymation.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/KinoFabino/status/1368639966486683658

I'm so fucken old..........

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

treat posted:

Wow, that's gorgeous voxel work. Matched with Blood's monster design it almost looks like claymation.

I mean, it basically is. Power-ranger/Gi-joe mation more accurately.

https://twitter.com/skacky/status/1368644900556845057

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 8, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, most of the monsters in Blood were stop motion miniatures, ala some of the larger monsters in Doom (except more primitive in construction. Some photos from the construction of the models can be seen here.

The Kins posted:

The US SEC has given the go-ahead for Microsoft's acquisition of Zenimax Media (and as such, Id Software). A decision by the European Commission is expected to come very soon.
The EC has given their unconditional approval.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

well, the doom series was going pretty well again so i guess something had to come and ruin it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ruined? No my proposal to introduce alternate playable characters for the Doom 5 campaign starting with Master Chief hasn't even been announced yet.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
ah, my vega/cortana fics will finally be canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Bill Gates slayer skin.