Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
As with everything Nvidia offers its just a brand name on top of "here are more tensor cores to dedicate to the thing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DLSS is the proprietary thing and that’s easy to get confused because it often is required for RT

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Wtf is DLSS and why should I care about it?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

CyberPingu posted:

Wtf is DLSS and why should I care about it?

Deep learning super sampling, basically AI powered image processing that speeds up rendering without affecting image quality too much

From all accounts it’s very good for videogames, speed increases in FPS, very little image quality loss

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
That sounds better than whatever the gently caress ray tracing was supposed to be.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It is an nvidia-proprietary very high quality image upscaler and you should care about it because it lets you boost your frame rates 50% or more with almost no detectable loss in image quality.

CyberPingu posted:

That sounds better than whatever the gently caress ray tracing was supposed to be.

yes.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
DLSS causes an obvious image quality reduction when upscaling 720p->1080p, people look at the 1440p->2160p tests and decide it's always that good.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Malloc Voidstar posted:

DLSS causes an obvious image quality reduction when upscaling 720p->1080p, people look at the 1440p->2160p tests and decide it's always that good.

Two other ways this could be looked at:

- DLSS 1080p looks much better than native 720p while keeping the same performance

- DLSS 1080p performs much better than native 1080p with a much smaller quality hit than e.g. turning all the textures and geometry down to 0

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Which is very relevant for the relevant buyers who want to run a $1200 GPU at 300 FPS on a $100 1080p60 monitor.

The reality is you have no business buying any of the GPUs in the discussion if you haven't bought at least a 1440p 144hz monitor yet. At least to my blind testing, at 1440p DLSS 2.0+ quality is always a straight up visual upgrade from TAA, especially in motion.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That's where the x60 cards keep coming in despite performance that hasn't been groundbreaking in six years. The 3060 isn't a leap forward into unexplored territory like the 3080 is, but it isn't supposed to be. It's for people who thought the 1080ti was too much back when a GPU wouldn't cost over $800.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

That's where the x60 cards keep coming in despite performance that hasn't been groundbreaking in six years. The 3060 isn't a leap forward into unexplored territory like the 3080 is, but it isn't supposed to be. It's for people who thought the 1080ti was too much back when a GPU wouldn't cost over $800.

The 3080 is a lie.

Amazon has like 60 reviews on the one I want in like 6 months.

Ebay prices have been climbing for months because the supply is basically non existent.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

spunkshui posted:

The 3080 is a lie.

Amazon has like 60 reviews on the one I want in like 6 months.

Ebay prices have been climbing for months because the supply is basically non existent.

ebay prices are already coming back down, they've dropped from $2200 to $2000, and that's with an ebay bucks promo this weekend pushing demand up. mining profits have fallen significantly and the mining demand just isn't there to support those kind of prices anymore, and gamers sure as gently caress ain't lining up to buy them at $2200 a pop

january/february was the confluence of a lot of bad events, mining profit spiked sky high in december/jan/early feb, plus lunar new year hit at the exact same time, plus stimulus dollars. Prices might get another bump from the stimulus checks whenever those finally go out (although democrats significantly tightened the eligibility rules so a lot less of the middle-class people who dumped it into luxury toys are going to be eligible this time around) but overall this is probably about as high as it's going to get and I think it'll gradually work its way down to a more "reasonable" level of shortage. Gamers will suck it up at $1200, not so much $2200.

vvv yeah, Cyberpunk was driving things up in december too, and there hasn't been anything since. vvv

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 6, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Probably doesn't help the scalpers that there's been no must-play game released in about 4 months now. Anyone who wanted a tricked out machine for Cyberpunk got it already and there's been nothing else to push demand for new cards other than the fact that they're new cards.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

the 3060 is for people who still have a 1060, who looked at the 2060 and said "nah"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they call it the 3060 because when you see it you'll turn 3060 degrees and walk away

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Once it is officially announced is there anywhere I can just sign up for a pre-order to get in line to get a 3080 ti? I don't care if it takes six months to get it as long as I can get a confirmed slot.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Universe Master posted:

Once it is officially announced is there anywhere I can just sign up for a pre-order to get in line to get a 3080 ti? I don't care if it takes six months to get it as long as I can get a confirmed slot.

EVGA might do the thing they did for the other cards where yes, you can sign up in line and they'll notify you when one is available.

Six months might be optimistic. I signed up for a 3080 on September 17th (i.e. less than 24 hours after they were announced) and I'm still waiting

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Sagebrush posted:

EVGA might do the thing they did for the other cards where yes, you can sign up in line and they'll notify you when one is available.

Six months might be optimistic. I signed up for a 3080 on September 17th (i.e. less than 24 hours after they were announced) and I'm still waiting

Which card did you sign up for? If it was the XC3 or FTW3 non-Ultra, then RIP, they're throwing all their chips into the Ultras and you're likely to never see it. The XC3 Black, XC3 Gaming, and FTW3 Gaming haven't had a single card sent to the notification list.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah it was one of the XC3s because I foolishly assumed that when a company lists a product for sale in their catalog, that product is actually going to be manufactured and made available for sale. I'm pissy about it because I think what they did is basically false advertising, but I didn't pay anything yet so whatever.

It's not significantly better in the other cases though. A friend of mine signed up at the same time in the queue for the highest end FTW model, which moved the fastest, and he still didn't get a card until February. Also it exploded the first time he tried to run a game with it and the EVGA RMA people were assholes about it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

isn't that the place the deathstar blew up?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

ebay prices are already coming back down, they've dropped from $2200 to $2000, and that's with an ebay bucks promo this weekend pushing demand up. mining profits have fallen significantly and the mining demand just isn't there to support those kind of prices anymore, and gamers sure as gently caress ain't lining up to buy them at $2200 a pop

january/february was the confluence of a lot of bad events, mining profit spiked sky high in december/jan/early feb, plus lunar new year hit at the exact same time, plus stimulus dollars. Prices might get another bump from the stimulus checks whenever those finally go out (although democrats significantly tightened the eligibility rules so a lot less of the middle-class people who dumped it into luxury toys are going to be eligible this time around) but overall this is probably about as high as it's going to get and I think it'll gradually work its way down to a more "reasonable" level of shortage. Gamers will suck it up at $1200, not so much $2200.

Yeah, and I need 2 cards since I'm trying to upgrade my wife and I at the same time. No loving way am I spending 4 grand on GPUs.

I pray to God that an open economy is bad for bitcoin HODLing and we get a crash this summer.

If poo poo stays the same then I have to use these loving 1070s until they literally die.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Universe Master posted:

Basically no. This is not like buying an iphone from apple.

Welcome to hell, brought to you by NVIDIA.

The same people who tricked EVGA into doing a bunch of RND for cards EVGA would never have enough volume to bring to market.

edit: EVGA will have a signup thingy but you can see how well that worked out for some lol

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah it was one of the XC3s because I foolishly assumed that when a company lists a product for sale in their catalog, that product is actually going to be manufactured and made available for sale. I'm pissy about it because I think what they did is basically false advertising, but I didn't pay anything yet so whatever.

It's not significantly better in the other cases though. A friend of mine signed up at the same time in the queue for the highest end FTW model, which moved the fastest, and he still didn't get a card until February. Also it exploded the first time he tried to run a game with it and the EVGA RMA people were assholes about it.

Is there a story behind the card exploding? I’d like to know more.

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum
After a day of frustration, pretty sure I got a DOA 3070.

System turns on but no video out, can get a video out with both an old AMD and Nvidia card. Going to try and plug this into a friends system and see if it works there, but not super hopeful.

Was hoping it was my riser cable causing issues, but still have the same problem when not using it, and both the other cards work fine with it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is this a new build or did you swap the card in?

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum
Swapped the card in.

Everything powered up, including it's fans, but no ouput.

Put back in the old 5700 I'd had worked with that. Then pulled that out, put in my friends 2070 super with new drivers and it worked there as well.

Tried the 3070 after that same issue, everything powers up, it's fans spin on, but can't get a signal out from any of it's ports or the ones through the motherboard.

I have my old GPU so my system is useable but this is confusing. Going to try plugging it into another system that's known to be working tomorrow and see if I have any better luck.

It's in an NR200p so my first thought was that the riser cable was the issue, but the problem persists when plugged directly into the motherboard.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Wistful of Dollars posted:

isn't that the place the deathstar blew up?

No, that was Alderaan. Aldebaran is a real star.

e: added links

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

check the power cables running to the card? do you have 2 separate cables?

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, two 8 pins, look to both be in tightly, but doesn't hurt to try again.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Aesirstorm posted:

Swapped the card in.

Everything powered up, including it's fans, but no ouput.

Put back in the old 5700 I'd had worked with that. Then pulled that out, put in my friends 2070 super with new drivers and it worked there as well.

Tried the 3070 after that same issue, everything powers up, it's fans spin on, but can't get a signal out from any of it's ports or the ones through the motherboard.

I have my old GPU so my system is useable but this is confusing. Going to try plugging it into another system that's known to be working tomorrow and see if I have any better luck.

It's in an NR200p so my first thought was that the riser cable was the issue, but the problem persists when plugged directly into the motherboard.

This is almost undoubtedly not the solution to your issue, but I had a friend who went from a GTX 1080 to an RTX 3080 and was having issues getting video out to the display. He was using DP on the old GPU but switched over to HDMI because the new GPU and his monitor both support HDMI 2.1. He was adamant his GPU was dead, but I told him to go into his monitor's OSD and make sure he had the proper input selected. It was set to use DP, not HDMI, so the issue was solved by simply changing the input on the display itself. If you were using DP on your 5700 and are now trying to use HDMI with the 3070 (and your friend's 2070S), double-check your display is set to the proper input. I know you said can't get a signal out from any of its ports, but it might be because the monitor is only looking for one specific connection.

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum
Tried with two monitors, one with HDMI one with DP, both had previously been using that type of input. I don't think that's the issue, but I'll check that as well.

I'd feel dumb, but would rather feel like an idiot and have my card working.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Check your cables to see if they can handle the bandwidth if you're jumping to DP1.4 or HDMI 2.1?

E: extremely unlikely to give you a dead screen, but if you're checking on everything...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Is there a story behind the card exploding? I’d like to know more.

From the pictures he sent me, my guess at the direct cause was a solder bridge on those rear-side MLCC packs that everyone was losing their mind about last year. Could have been something else, but there was obvious scorched flux and at least one exploded/missing SMD capacitor in the area and he said it made a sizzling noise and smelled like the magic smoke.

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum

v1ld posted:

Check your cables to see if they can handle the bandwidth if you're jumping to DP1.4 or HDMI 2.1?

E: extremely unlikely to give you a dead screen, but if you're checking on everything...

Yeah, that's not the issue.

Changing out power cables didn't do anything. Computer turns on, GPU fans spin up and stay on, no output. The other two cards both work fine.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hey all, I had to sell my 3080 a few months ago in order to pay for some unfortunate dog surgery and have been wanting to build my PC back up. I don’t expect to find a 3080 ever again but is it possible to get a 3070 or a 3060ti if I play the refresh discord game or is it better to just sell the rest of my system and buy one of the 3070 prebuilts that seem to be in stock. I just play at 1440p 60 so a 3080 was probably overkill anyway.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Paul MaudDib posted:

vvv yeah, Cyberpunk was driving things up in december too, and there hasn't been anything since. vvv

Eh, not quite. Open box and used 3080s are selling for just slightly under $2000, but the new/sealed 3080s sold today on Ebay are still around 2200-2300.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=rtx+3080&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=1000

Meanwhile Founders Edition 3080s are still selling well above $2000 regardless if they're new or used.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
3070 now is harder to get than 3080 then. 3060ti is pretty gettable

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

or 295x rebirth?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Aesirstorm posted:

Yeah, that's not the issue.

Changing out power cables didn't do anything. Computer turns on, GPU fans spin up and stay on, no output. The other two cards both work fine.

If you've got a Zen3 CPU, it's also worth trying to force PCIe 3, rather than the default PCIe 4, especially with a riser. Dumb, but that's what it took to get mine working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Risers aren't PCIe 4 certified so you should definitely not use pcie4 mode with them