Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
XTB Menasor is a fine end result, but goddamn transforming that trailer is a nightmare. It's every bad XTB habit rolled into one and magnified. At that price point I should NOT have to be bending parts in unnatural ways to attain panel clearance. And I don't know who the gently caress over there is so in love with double hinges but they need help.

It'll never change modes again, I can tell you that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Keldroc posted:

XTB Menasor is a fine end result, but goddamn transforming that trailer is a nightmare. It's every bad XTB habit rolled into one and magnified. At that price point I should NOT have to be bending parts in unnatural ways to attain panel clearance. And I don't know who the gently caress over there is so in love with double hinges but they need help.

It'll never change modes again, I can tell you that much.

Both my irl friends who own it have snapped a knee on the gestalt frame so I'm waiting for a second release.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Both my irl friends who own it have snapped a knee on the gestalt frame so I'm waiting for a second release.

That surprises me, the knees are very sturdy. One of the tabs that holds Dead End in place on the arm was snapped off when I opened it, but he stays on fine thanks to the fake mid-section that secures the top.

The biggest issue is that the various intersecting double hinge parts can easily smoosh into each other and a couple of scrapes happened, albeit in places you can't see in either mode. Inexplicably, the ankles are friction joints and with Motormaster in place it's so back heavy that it can barely stand in a stable way. Its natural state is falling backwards. It practically has to hold its weapons to stay upright.

Still looks way better than DX9's, but it has that XTB frustration of being so close to great but held back by the same flaws XTB figures always have without fail.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/hotconvoy/status/1367084840642895885

Apparently comes with the Winnebago trailer too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Welp, so long PotP Rodimus.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Welp, so long PotP Rodimus.

And nothing of value was lost.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I'm really curious to see how Galvatron turns out. He needs to be good to fit with Cyclonus and Scourge.

Also second issue of Beast Wars is out, it's a fun read. There's two new bots, one for each side. I"m sure most will probably wait for the trade.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Judging solely by the review/transformation videos I've seen, and the quality of Cyclonus, whoever's working on the TFTM crew really has their poo poo together. If Scourge, Hot Rod, and Kup have the same grade of plastic as Cyc, I'm real excited to get them in hand, and that goes double for Rodimus. I skipped the POTP one and loving binned the MP in a fit of drunken pique, so I don't think I've had a proper Rodimus Prime since 1987.

Interesting that they've gone with "Hot Rod But Burlier" for the car mode, but it's all good if he comes with the 'bago.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
found my childhood Transformers while digging through some stuff today. Slag struggles to stand without the support of his tail (did he used to be sturdy? i don't remember) and Hawk's right arm is lost to the mists of time (another sad victim of the civil war) but i wasn't sure where these guys had ended up so it's nice to see them again

plus a jaunty Batmobile knockoff i got from somewhere or other as a kid as a fun bonus

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Opened up Kingdom BW Megatron "Beast" ( Why isn't it Predacon Megatron?) and yikes the first transformation is an ordeal, the booklet really doesn't give you enough to get the chest movement right without feeling you will damage it. Looks great though.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I always appreciate when toy stores play with their toys that they display.

https://twitter.com/taikututodasei/status/1366973978103795715?s=20

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Revolver Bunker posted:

I always appreciate when toy stores play with their toys that they display.

https://twitter.com/taikututodasei/status/1366973978103795715?s=20
My local was accused of being swindlers on a local forum for pricing things where they would make a profit (ie: "slightly cheaper than importing at retail price, after shipping + customs) so they started using Animated Swindle to announce all their new stock and various deals. I appreciated how petty they got.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Keldroc posted:

And nothing of value was lost.
I still prefer the way PotP Rodimus incorporates the trailer into robot mode like the cartoon. It always bugged me that Rodimus' trailer just kind of blobbed into him, Optimus' at least had the courtesy to slide offscreen as a distinct separate entity. The shoulders are total crap though.

Earthrise Rodimus is a commander class so I'm curious what exactly his trailer's going to do. I'm assuming Rodimus' bot mode is going to be around the same size as the voyager and leader class figures, so how come his trailer makes him commander class when Optimus and his trailer were just leader? G1 Rodimus' trailer certainly wasn't very complex.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

found my childhood Transformers while digging through some stuff today. Slag struggles to stand without the support of his tail (did he used to be sturdy? i don't remember) and Hawk's right arm is lost to the mists of time (another sad victim of the civil war) but i wasn't sure where these guys had ended up so it's nice to see them again

Yeah, Slag's knees never really locked into place, if I remember right they're just held in place by friction so they'll wear down every time you transform him. It could probably be fixed pretty easily with the furniture polish/nail polish clearcoat trick by just working some into the socket if you don't mind messing with a vintage figure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Optimus's trailer didn't integrate or transform, it just opens. I'm betting they will recreate the terrible battle station mode of the G1 toy somehow to justify the price.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Arquinsiel posted:

My local was accused of being swindlers on a local forum for pricing things where they would make a profit (ie: "slightly cheaper than importing at retail price, after shipping + customs) so they started using Animated Swindle to announce all their new stock and various deals. I appreciated how petty they got.

That's actually really funny.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lodin posted:

That's actually really funny.
I was posting there too, so I knew the lad was a shithead and his reaction to it was amazing.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Optimus's trailer didn't integrate or transform, it just opens. I'm betting they will recreate the terrible battle station mode of the G1 toy somehow to justify the price.
That's all G1 Rodimus' trailer did, open up to form a "battlestation". It didn't really integrate into the alt mode, it just connected further up Rodimus' legs to hide his lower half. And the gun thing that rose up was way less complex than Optimus' cockpit-with-robot-arm thing.

I'm guessing you're right that this one will have a more complex integration with the standalone car mode, but they better do a lot for the battlestation mode to justify a $50 trailer. If it just does this but bigger I'll be pretty annoyed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't know how they'll think of something for that trailer to do after doing a whole toyline themed around base modes.

But yeah, it'd also be nice to have more than just a base mode.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Knormal posted:

I still prefer the way PotP Rodimus incorporates the trailer into robot mode like the cartoon. It always bugged me that Rodimus' trailer just kind of blobbed into him, Optimus' at least had the courtesy to slide offscreen as a distinct separate entity. The shoulders are total crap though.

I like the idea of the PotP figure better, yeah, but the PotP figure is a piece of poo poo even by PotP standards. I wouldn't have minded if this new one was another shot at that idea, but I'll also take the first decent depiction of Rodimus Prime...ever? Even if it comes with a disposable Winnebago shell.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
That Rodimus robot looks cool but not really sure what they could do with the trailer to make me want to shell out commander class money for him when I already have SS Hot Rod

Knormal posted:

Yeah, Slag's knees never really locked into place, if I remember right they're just held in place by friction so they'll wear down every time you transform him. It could probably be fixed pretty easily with the furniture polish/nail polish clearcoat trick by just working some into the socket if you don't mind messing with a vintage figure.

Ah, coolio, that sounds right then. Honestly he stands okay with his tail on the ground behind him so I dunno how bothered I am about getting in and tightening stuff up. It's not like he's got any posability that needs the joints to hold lol

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

The Last Call posted:

I'm really curious to see how Galvatron turns out. He needs to be good to fit with Cyclonus and Scourge.

Also second issue of Beast Wars is out, it's a fun read. There's two new bots, one for each side. I"m sure most will probably wait for the trade.

It’s a fun read but the art is... rough at times.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I finally got bot-tropolis space ship set from Amazon. It's really fun, and the new colors and tampos really improve Ironworks in particular.

The giant loving research missile is fun too.

I wish you could purchase such toys in a physical store but I'll give it a pass until the end of this. It's been empty shelves near me every trip. Admittedly, I haven't been overly adventurous risking my life for TFs.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
No idea what's going on with Cyclonus being Kingdom and Scourge an SS then, if Hot Rod(imus) is in both lines. Would like to know what I get from the Kingdom figure before I pick up the SS.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

No idea what's going on with Cyclonus being Kingdom and Scourge an SS then, if Hot Rod(imus) is in both lines. Would like to know what I get from the Kingdom figure before I pick up the SS.

My impulse is to not worry too hard about the line division. It's the 25th anniversary of Beast Wars this year, but it's also the 35th for TFTM, and they're clearly trying to pump out a bunch of product that ties in with either one or the other, and it seems like whether a TFTM fig ends up in Kingdom or SS is pretty arbitrary (unless it ties into the Netflix series.)

Regarding the Kingdom Rodimus figure though, forgive me if I'm being blindingly obvious here but what you're getting is Rodimus, Not Hot Rod. Like, even without seeing the close-up detailing, you can see he still turns into a fast car from the future year of 2005, but all its proportions are off, even before the Winnebago shell. Like, look at how bulky the cabin is, and it's sitting higher on the wheels. You know how the Subaru Outback was a Legacy, but as a station wagon with a lift kit and extra plastic body cladding? That's what Kingdom Rodimus looks like to me, the Subaru Outback version of whatever car Hot Rod was.

It's a little weird to be getting two different versions of the same character so close together, but I guess that's Hot Rod. Like Cheetor, Hot Shot and some Bumblebees, he's the guy we got to see mature onscreen.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

They're just filling out the waves for each line, it seems. Cyclonus could easily be SS, but presumably he's also in the Kingdom show so they put him there to have more product at that price point available. It also gets more SS characters in our hands faster, so it's a good thing.

Also Hot Rod is not in both lines. Hot Rod is in SS. Rodimus Prime is in Kingdom. Two very different toys, if not different characters. Since Galvatron is in the WfC show, it's not super crazy to think Rodimus will show up, too.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's reminding me of the splitting of the early Generations type figures into Hunt for the Decepticons and Reveal the Shield stuff.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Yeah it seems very much like that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly that's what I was thinking too

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Guys. Guys. GUYS.

WHAT IF RODPOD?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Guys. Guys. GUYS.

WHAT IF RODPOD?

this is it, this is what would get me to buy it

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gonna be another release in the Gridman/Diaclone crossover:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
They might also be separating them by fragility? So the more easy to break ones like Hot Rod, Jazz, and Kup get SS, while the much more stable ones like Cyclonus and Rodimus get the Kingdom line?

That doesn't do much to excuse Blackarachnia, but who knows?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Anora posted:

They might also be separating them by fragility? So the more easy to break ones like Hot Rod, Jazz, and Kup get SS, while the much more stable ones like Cyclonus and Rodimus get the Kingdom line?

That doesn't do much to excuse Blackarachnia, but who knows?

All Beast Wars characters are in Kingdom, and the majority of the non-beast characters in Kingdom are supposed to have a role in the Netflix show

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do you have twenty thousand dollars lying around, and a multi-axle commercial vehicle license (possibly with an airbrake cert)? You can buy Optimus Prime! The truck used in the Bumblebee movie!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It’s a fun read but the art is... rough at times.

It definitely has a certain look to it. I'd prefer the more usual style we get but I can deal with this for a little bit.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just ignore the first minute of terrible add and it's pretty funny at times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37ck0l7U9Ck

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I found another YouTube reviewer I like, The Lazy Eyebrow. His gimmick is that every review is entirely done in stop motion, but he’s really good at it so it’s a refreshing change of pace and fun to watch.

https://youtu.be/OlsTY25yOUo

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I've been watching lazy eyebrow too. The stop motion is pretty cool. He nerds out pretty hard on alt modes and what real life vehicles they are supposed to represent, and nearly all of his custom work looks like poo poo, but the videos are enjoyable.

Also, what the gently caress is up with the transformation on Beast Wars Megatron? I legitimately injured my thumb on the torso going from robot to dino. Is there an easy way to untab the waist? I bought one for my nephew and would've cancelled the order of it hadn't already shipped. No way an eight year old can handle this.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I had a lot of trouble with the waist until I realized you’re supposed to pull up, not out and up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Honestly??

Studio Series Grimlock is... maaaaaybe the best official Grimlock out there.

I need to dig out my MP but he's just an absolute treat in both modes.

I wish his Dino mode had the transparent neck like the box promised but they finally managed to make a Dino Grimlock that wasn't 70% tail, so I'll take it

And he's a nice chunky boy

Stout

Like a teapot

Wheelie can gently caress right out of here, though; he adds absolutely nothing to the package and is just a thing that I don't quite want to throw in the trash

Wish he had a sword, though.