Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

hell yea text me

small historical fact: the expression "calling for Ulrich" as slang for throwing up has been in the Danish language for over 300 years

In Norway we call it "calling for the moose/elk" because you sound like a horned up moose when throwing up :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Biplane posted:

In Norway we call it "calling for the moose/elk" because you sound like a horned up moose when throwing up :eng101:

In Finland we call it "speaking Norwegian" or even "taking a call to Norway on the porcelain phone" because of all the black metal bands :eng101:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

VinylonUnderground posted:

I'm familiar with the brand and I feel they need to lean in to their real demographic. "Get a handle on the workday" is much more true. Pair it with a "Half pint for the hustle" for the real Taaka drinkers.
"You've got the shakes and $2.50: Taaka"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Carthag Tuek posted:

i store zaranoff vodka in my balls

You're a Dane, I would have assumed Tuborg Grøn.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

mostlygray posted:

MN is a short form and $20. No questions asked. Just have the minister/pastor/priest/justice of the peace/a cat sign it and it's done. Super easy.

I'm pretty sure you can marry a tree in MN and they wouldn't mind. It's absurdly easy.

IMO the advent of nearly 100% accurate paternity testing has eliminated 90% of the societal reasons for having marriage be a thing. The other 10% is couples having the legal power to make medical decisions in the case their partner gets incapacitated, etc. Not that I'm against marriage or anything, but I think in the future the percent of unmarried couples with children is just going to get higher and higher. So they might as well make marriage absurdly easy, because it really doesn't matter anymore.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sucrose posted:

IMO the advent of nearly 100% accurate paternity testing has eliminated 90% of the societal reasons for having marriage be a thing. The other 10% is couples having the legal power to make medical decisions in the case their partner gets incapacitated, etc. Not that I'm against marriage or anything, but I think in the future the percent of unmarried couples with children is just going to get higher and higher. So they might as well make marriage absurdly easy, because it really doesn't matter anymore.

I got legally married to my fiancee shortly after the engagement, so that she could get on my insurance and for the sweet tax break. We broke up before the actual wedding would have happened, but still came out ahead after paying for a no-assets no-kids divorce.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Carthag Tuek posted:

hell yea text me

small historical fact: the expression "calling for Ulrich" as slang for throwing up has been in the Danish language for over 300 years

barbecue at the folks posted:

In Finland we call it "speaking Norwegian" or even "taking a call to Norway on the porcelain phone" because of all the black metal bands :eng101:

something something kamelåså!

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
We also call it "laattaa"; lay tiles, and "yrjötä"; being named Yrjö. A real Finnish name some are blessed with.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bony tony posted:

You're a Dane, I would have assumed Tuborg Grøn.

vodka + balls = snaps

you can turn anything into a snaps (or as the germans call it "schnapps" because they like extra letters). just mix high alcohol sprits and ______ for a month. the sky is your limit!

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Mar 6, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

except the actual sky. it is not possible to make snaps from the sky.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Here in Iceland I'm not aware for any euphamism for vomitting but a fun euphamism for pooping is ,,tefla við páfann" or "playing chess with the Pope".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

are the chess pieces poop and the pope the toilet bowl?

otherwise i dont get it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think it's because you sit for a while and really concentrate on a single task as if playing chess against a difficult opponent.

Which the Pope would presumably be

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Carthag Tuek posted:

vodka + balls = snaps

you can turn anything into a snaps (or as the germans call it "schnapps" because they like extra letters). just mix high alcohol sprits and ______ for a month. the sky is your limit!

and my favourite schnapps is just vodka or Korn plus finely cut swiss pine cones plus a boatload of sugar. "A guada Zirm", as we say in Bavaria

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I dunno, the Pope's from South America. He could be more of a canasta player.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

System Metternich posted:

and my favourite schnapps is just vodka or Korn plus finely cut swiss pine cones plus a boatload of sugar. "A guada Zirm", as we say in Bavaria

im gonna try that

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao im gonna use that on my parents next time they try their woodlouse-snaps on me

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Buick" as a verb was what we called vomiting when I was a lad.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

"Buick" as a verb was what we called vomiting when I was a lad.

In college we called it selling Buicks

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The idiom predates Black Metal by decades.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Carthag Tuek posted:

vodka + balls = snaps

This is my wife's quarantine hobby.

Schnapps works because my favorite is ginger and ginger snaps is something else.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The idiom predates Black Metal by decades.

Jerry knows this because he predates telephones by several decades

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Carthag Tuek posted:

hell yea text me

I think every country must have a variation on this. In Northern England it's "looking for Huey".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

darkwasthenight posted:

I think every country must have a variation on this. In Northern England it's "looking for Huey".

every language does not have this

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

darkwasthenight posted:

In Norway it's "shout for the moose".

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

every language does not have this

Just the cool ones.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

That rules

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
In Serbian it's "to throw an iron," as in a clothes iron. :iiam:

I've read some explanations but they sound... unlikely. "Before widespread use of electricity, people would use clothes irons which were hollow and loaded with hot coals. Those would give off noxious fumes, forcing them to eventually toss away the iron and vomit."

I guess it's possible it came from more than 100 years ago, but I find it more likely it was started by a random group of friends who thought it was just a funny thing to say.

There's also "to sing Rigoletto," which is simply onomatopoetic.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Alhazred posted:

Just the cool ones.

not a historical fact but a question: is it weird that I find norwegian and danish very beautiful languages but think swedish just sounds annoying? I objectively know they're similar but my lizard brain can't handle the swedish.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

darkwasthenight posted:

Spanish has "Calling Juan" for Spain (guess it's a northern thing, never heard it here) and some American countries get "Calling Hugo". Both are onomatopoeias.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

not a historical fact but a question: is it weird that I find norwegian and danish very beautiful languages but think swedish just sounds annoying?

Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykj3Kpm3O0g&t=18s

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

not a historical fact but a question: is it weird that I find norwegian and danish very beautiful languages but think swedish just sounds annoying? I objectively know they're similar but my lizard brain can't handle the swedish.

:pwn:
People have been ritualisticly axe murdered for lesser insults you know

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

:pwn:
People have been ritualisticly axe murdered for lesser insults you know

New thread title

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's not weird, you are objectively correct.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

It's not weird, you are objectively correct.

Sorry I can't hear you with that potato in your mouth

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Just :lol: if you're not eating tasty spuds 24/7.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlTukY9fV9Y&t=65s

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Oh yeah? Well at least our child soldiers can take directions because they aren't drunk 24/7

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I objectively know they're similar but my lizard brain can't handle the swedish.

sorry about your bad brain op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Swedish is the refined, gentlemanly Scandinavian language. Like upper-class British English. In this simile Norwegian is Scottish English. Danish is Welsh. Straight Welsh. Just replace the consonants with vocals.