Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
How do credit card limit raises work? My credit union basically just gives me a small form that has text field for the request (don't know what to put down here, I'd just buy more expensive nerd poo poo), and the text field for the maximum amount I would want. Can I be asking for 2x-3x of my current limit if Ive been paying off all my bills on time? How do I know what's too much or too little?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

neosloth posted:

How do credit card limit raises work? My credit union basically just gives me a small form that has text field for the request (don't know what to put down here, I'd just buy more expensive nerd poo poo), and the text field for the maximum amount I would want. Can I be asking for 2x-3x of my current limit if Ive been paying off all my bills on time? How do I know what's too much or too little?

I just asked on the phone when I was responding to a time when they blocked my card for using it outside the country or whatever risk keeps flagging my card for. She asked how much do you want and I said a big number and she said there would be extra paperwork for that but I could approve this other also big number right now over the phone so I took that.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

You're generally not going to get a credit limit higher than about ~15% of your income without really pushing for it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Google makes me believe it's a Kitchenaid trash compactor.

drat, those things are $1500. What an odd appliance.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

Qubee posted:

If it were up to me, I would. I've been unemployed for the better part of a year and I don't have the money to throw at applications, unfortunately. So I just need to pick my best chances and I can afford at most 4 applications.

Many schools will offer fee waivers or reduced application fees based on financial need. It's worth looking on their websites and/or contacting their admissions staff (if you can't find information). That may increase the number of applications you're able to afford.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Why do some posters have 'fallen rib' under their avatar? Why do I have 'fallen rib' under my avatar? I mostly use the app so I only just noticed.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

YggiDee posted:

Why do some posters have 'fallen rib' under their avatar? Why do I have 'fallen rib' under my avatar? I mostly use the app so I only just noticed.

I think it's from a past SA donation drive. An old account of mine had Nap Ghost for a while so I figure it's the same thing. Might be wrong tho

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

YggiDee posted:

It's a donation tag, and that has the list of them. The tag depends on the total you've donated over the years, so in your case you've donated a total of at least $15 to the forums. If you see one with a yellow color, that means the poster last donated when Lowtax was around, which you can see on the last page for Flash Gordon Ramsay's posts. If it's a blue color, as the one you and I have, that means you most recently donated after Jeffrey took over. I think I was Fun Shoe for a while from the original times the tags were handed out (Which was likely 2018 based on the SAclopedia entry), and then upped it a bunch to get the Wedge Regret tag after Jeffrey assumed control a few months ago.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Also there's an option in the control panel to hide your donation tag. Was added during the take over, partly for the option and partly because people who donated before poo poo (really) blew up could opt out of having it on show.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
How do the ISS astronauts clean their clothing?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crankit posted:

How do the ISS astronauts clean their clothing?

They don’t. Dirty clothes are put on a departing cargo capsule and are vaporised on reentry to the Earth’s atmosphere. Clean clothes arrive on resupply ships with all the other consumables.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Platystemon posted:

They don’t. Dirty clothes are put on a departing cargo capsule and are vaporised on reentry to the Earth’s atmosphere. Clean clothes arrive on resupply ships with all the other consumables.

I just want to point out that this isn't a Calvin's dad explanation; this is actually how they do it.

Launching things into orbit is really expensive, roughly ~$10,000 per pound. Wash water would be prohibitively heavy, so they just ship up enough clothes for the entire mission and they throw them away as the mission progresses. IIRC the weight rationing is strict enough that they have to wear a pair of underwear for something like 4-6 days at a time to stretch their supply out over the course of the mission.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Khizan posted:

I just want to point out that this isn't a Calvin's dad explanation; this is actually how they do it.

Launching things into orbit is really expensive, roughly ~$10,000 per pound. Wash water would be prohibitively heavy, so they just ship up enough clothes for the entire mission and they throw them away as the mission progresses. IIRC the weight rationing is strict enough that they have to wear a pair of underwear for something like 4-6 days at a time to stretch their supply out over the course of the mission.

"I'm not a filthy animal, I'm an astronaut." I say as I turn my boxers inside-out for the third time.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

The fact that they're vaporised makes this sound like they're actually stretched out over the hull. It's a funny mental image. Why not just wash them on earth though? Or make millions of dollars selling the underwear I guess.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BonHair posted:

The fact that they're vaporised makes this sound like they're actually stretched out over the hull. It's a funny mental image. Why not just wash them on earth though? Or make millions of dollars selling the underwear I guess.

Getting stuff back from orbit in one piece is hard

Much harder than is worth it for dirty boxers.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

can you IMAGINE the onlyfans/patreon for dirty space knickers

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
When a new president's administration begins their term, is it noticeable in DC in everyday life? I mostly mean in regards to people moving - the best comparison I can think of would be how ppl who live in Boston can expect an influx of students every year, and when I lived there it was really obvious. The timing on getting a good rental at any point was influenced by that yearly influx. DC is a similarly sized city and metro with tons of jobs in a single sector, so do they have a similar known and noticeable "wave" every 4 years?

I know that not every federal worker gets replaced when a new admin arrives, but surely there are plenty of lobbyists, ppl who were there to work with the outgoing party specifically, departments and organizations that get downsized, etc etc.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I made a cursory check of the YLLS forum...is there an alcohol/alcoholism thread?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's a thread in E/N that seems to be functioning as a general purpose alcohol problems thread.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ultrafilter posted:

There's a thread in E/N that seems to be functioning as a general purpose alcohol problems thread.

Can confirm, that's what it's for.

I thought there was an alcoholism thread in TCC but I cannot find it now.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can confirm, that's what it's for.

I thought there was an alcoholism thread in TCC but I cannot find it now.
Alcohol's part of TCC's general addiction/recovery thread.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

When a new president's administration begins their term, is it noticeable in DC in everyday life? I mostly mean in regards to people moving - the best comparison I can think of would be how ppl who live in Boston can expect an influx of students every year, and when I lived there it was really obvious. The timing on getting a good rental at any point was influenced by that yearly influx. DC is a similarly sized city and metro with tons of jobs in a single sector, so do they have a similar known and noticeable "wave" every 4 years?

I know that not every federal worker gets replaced when a new admin arrives, but surely there are plenty of lobbyists, ppl who were there to work with the outgoing party specifically, departments and organizations that get downsized, etc etc.

Having worked in Danish government for a few years, my feeling is definitely "no". Generally speaking, only the top guys get changed, and that's not a lot of actual people. And the number of guys is roughly the same, so it's a more 1:1 exchange. The lobbyists are going to keep doing their thing as well, regardless of who they need to bribe.

The thing about students, here in Copenhagen and other Danish cities as well, is that they all move into the city at roughly the same time, and gradually drop out and leave town all across the year. So your intake of people is focused in August ish, but people leaving is more evenly distributed along the year, so you have more available housing in spring and summer.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Khizan posted:

The Russians just free balled

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

Probably depends upon who you ask.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

Landing cargo on Earth in one piece is expensive and was a serious constraint for experiments aboard the station when the Shuttle stopped flying.

With SpaceX making flights, there’s more capacity than when it was just Soyuz, but it’s still not so much that they’re squandering it on dirty laundry.

Khizan posted:

Well if there’s a danger of people thinking that’s so silly it must be fake, here it is from the horse’s mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JfqdBJDNZc

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is it safe to smoke weed after receiving the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I don't think anyone's looked at that. I personally would avoid any kind of drug for 48-72 hours after getting vaccinated, but that's playing it really safe.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

Is it safe to smoke weed after receiving the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine?
There's some evidence of immunosuppressive effects of weed - https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-15026-z - which might mean you wouldn't have as strong an immune response. So not likely to cause any serious complications or anything, but could potentially make the vaccine less effective. Probably best to abstain for a few days.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is there place other than eBay to buy old video games? I don't mind eBay but some of the folks are a little aspirational in their pricing.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

ultrafilter posted:

I don't think anyone's looked at that. I personally would avoid any kind of drug for 48-72 hours after getting vaccinated, but that's playing it really safe.

Trapick posted:

There's some evidence of immunosuppressive effects of weed - https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-15026-z - which might mean you wouldn't have as strong an immune response. So not likely to cause any serious complications or anything, but could potentially make the vaccine less effective. Probably best to abstain for a few days.
This is what I thought. I was just reading about people who were handing out free weed to people getting vaccinated for Covid-19, and I wasn't sure if there was any information showing this was safe. Appears it's not the case at all.

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/activists-give-out-free-marijuana-to-encourage-covid-vaccination-with-joints-for-jabs-campaign/

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Manager Hoyden posted:

Is there place other than eBay to buy old video games? I don't mind eBay but some of the folks are a little aspirational in their pricing.

How old of a game are you talking about? Are you looking for a single specific game or just games for a specific console/device?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
SA-Mart occasionally has people selling games, though your selection is gonna be kind of limited.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

fartknocker posted:

How old of a game are you talking about? Are you looking for a single specific game or just games for a specific console/device?

Right now, gameboy and gameboy color games. Not rare ones at all, just ones that I might like to play.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Manager Hoyden posted:

Right now, gameboy and gameboy color games. Not rare ones at all, just ones that I might like to play.

I'd say just keep checking eBay at first, as stuff like that comes up all the time. Just quickly checking myself, there's a bunch listed on there from $10-$20. I'm not as familiar with GameBoy stuff, but I know N64 and NES games can typically be anywhere from $10 to $30 just for a cartridge on its own, and will obviously go up if you're trying to get one that includes any of the packaging or stuff like that. I think GameStop also has older games like that too, but they tend to be very expensive and there's usually no recourse if it doesn't work, where as eBay is generally geared toward the buyer if something doesn't work or goes wrong.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Remember to make offers on eBay listings if you have the option. A lot of "selling things on eBay" guides will tell sellers to put the "Buy It Now" price at twice what they'd be willing to accept for it, to let hagglers feel like they're getting a good deal and increase the overall margin. The worst that'll happen is they'll reject your offer.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Is there a trans thread? I've looked in the places I would expect to see one, but can't find anything.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ineptmule posted:

Is there a trans thread? I've looked in the places I would expect to see one, but can't find anything.

As far as I understand, the only trans thread on SA is hidden in YOSPOS because goons. If you troll it because I sent you there, I will enact revenge on you.

e: I've been informed that there are two more, one in The Minority Rapport and one in Cool Crew Chat Central. Again, if you poo poo these up I WILL enact revenge. Godspeed.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 6, 2021

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

There is also one in Cool Chat Crew Central

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

For the record the reason I'm so defensive when answering this is because the last time it came up the asker in question decided to double-down on transphobia and that's not kosher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Why isn't there a trans thread in E/N? I vaguely remember seeing that at some point.