Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Hey remember when Notre Dame was set on fire?

That was two years ago.

Get the gently caress out, seriously? It feels like yesterday :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I remember at my last job, MS sent some evangelists to talk up the upcoming release of Edge to the web UI engineers of the company. They spent like five minutes talking about how it was supposed to make our lives easier, how we shouldn’t worry about how IE would continue to be installed, and then spent the majority of the presentation talking about some feature that let tablet users draw all over a web page and share it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rexxed posted:

Oh you mean the internet?

It's called Foxfire, and it comes from my airport modem in the basement.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Biowarfare posted:

at what point does this stop being called a 'web app' wtf

what OS does this even run on (as a client?)

Windows 10, at least that’s what I used when I had to dig into the multiple 3-5k line scripts to implement similar functionality to make the equivalent documents for a newer product architecture.

Thanks Ants posted:

Honestly I’d love to know how some of these design decisions get made

It was the early 00s and they wanted to replace things more or less typed with typewriters. And it has worked since then, and as I said it’s used to make documents for some very expensive machines so we ain’t doing anything that risks breaking things. I mean it’s 4 years since I made this for more modern machines using real things, and we are finally getting this old monster replaced now

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

zokie posted:

Windows 10, at least that’s what I used when I had to dig into the multiple 3-5k line scripts to implement similar functionality to make the equivalent documents for a newer product architecture.

Windows 10 even lets you run activex or vbscript and remotely control and execute local software? Please tell me there's some addon or BHO helping this because :psyduck:

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Biowarfare posted:

Windows 10 even lets you run activex or vbscript and remotely control and execute local software? Please tell me there's some addon or BHO helping this because :psyduck:

I haven’t touched it in years, because yuck! But I’m pretty sure we ran win10 when I was last involved. That said it was IE only and security/trust settings set to nihilism.

Which reminds me, we are using regular cmd poo poo and not powerkjell for almost everything because there is no RemoteExecutionPolicy involved then :eng99:

We’re caught between not wanting to touch it on our servers and IT just looking at us vacantly when we bring up wanting code signing...

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Thanks Ants posted:

Honestly I’d love to know how some of these design decisions get made

In my experience, it follows this pattern: "We're going to start with making it barely work (in this case: on one browser, by forcing specific settings)" -> "We discovered that it's going to be hard to add <feature> or <compatibility> or a reasonable configuration, given the way we programmed the proof of concept" -> The business going "deadline's coming up/customer wants to onboard, let's release what we have and fix the problems later" -> "We have other things for the developers to work on."

This is how most companies think they "do Agile." Working fast and sloppy without the "feedback" and "iteration" steps that are so crucial.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Capital-A Agile would have been better served with a high-falutin’ bullshit name like “Six Sigma”, because far too many people hear it and think it just means “nimble” or “responsive,” not realizing there’s a methodology behind it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I sigh as I unsheathe my katana

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
My favorite part of that graph/model/abomination is how Leadership is completely isolated in the upper right, with no connection or relation to the actual work whatsoever.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

KillHour posted:

I sigh as I unsheathe my katana

some management consultant shithead just saw a tokyo train or subway map and decided to design a system around it and i hate them for it

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We each got 5 pages of inventory or some poo poo dropped on our desks. Hand-written so we're putting them in excel.

Whose job am I doing right now?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It's international women's day.

Gets pinged at 7am about being on a tech focused podcast.

lmao.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have state inspectors here the last week.

"There's a computer that has the screen on over there...and there's no employee by it."

Right now our screen saver comes on and locks the screen after 6 minutes.

They want us to do 1 minute.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

"There's a computer that has the screen on over there...and there's no employee by it."

Why is there an unlocked computer without an employee at it?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Fart Amplifier posted:

Why is there an unlocked computer without an employee at it?

:emptyquote:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Auto-screen lock should only be the safety yet. I find users pick up Windows-L pretty well if they think of it as "Windows-Lock" The GUI works too, but each extra step you have to take to get up to go to the bathroom reduces the likelihood they'll be consistent about it.

INAL Bob but iirc you work in healthcare and HIPPA mandates a 5 minute screen lock, so you should reduce it from six regardless.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

Why are your users not trained to loving lock their poo poo when they walk away from it?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Bob Morales posted:

If your employees are too stupid to windows+L they deserve the punishment.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Bob Morales posted:

That is not unreasonable. Unattended machines should never be left unlocked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We were only tangentially related to healthcare and enough instances of leaving a computer unlocked would lead to termination.

It's not a thing you gently caress around with.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

Pretty standard for computers in areas you would expect patients in be in.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

klosterdev posted:

INAL Bob but iirc you work in healthcare and HIPPA mandates a 5 minute screen lock.

Are you sure about that?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

dragonshardz posted:

Why are your users not trained to loving lock their poo poo when they walk away from it?

I'm sure they do lots of stuff they aren't supposed to do.

It's just that they're going to want to change it back...within hours.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

Pretty standard for computers in areas you would expect patients in be in.

The rule is if you have patient information on the screen, you can't leave the computer. Not sure what the auditor saw or whatever. Just overheard the conversation.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I do feel like you fight a lot of battles that are pointless to fight and just seem to piss you off. If the external auditors tell you that you need to set things to 1 minute then set it to one minute. Have it made policy that employees sign that they will lock screens when they leave their desks. Stop worrying about it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I used to work at a bank and if you were caught walking away with an unlocked computer, your desktop background would be changed in GPO to a picture of David Hasselhoff in a swimsuit for a day. It worked well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I don't follow blindly every auditor opinion I get, they at least have to back it up with something that supports their specific recommendation. I think a 1 minute time out policy is totally unreasonable for every machine in an org. You need a very specific machine in a very specific situation.

A 1 minute screen time out for everyone is daring people to circumvent it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I do feel like you fight a lot of battles that are pointless to fight and just seem to piss you off. If the external auditors tell you that you need to set things to 1 minute then set it to one minute. Have it made policy that employees sign that they will lock screens when they leave their desks. Stop worrying about it.

I'm not pissed it's just silly.

Modifying the policy isn't a big deal. It only takes a few minutes for someone to change a group policy from 360 seconds to 60.

The problem is there will be 2-3 meetings about which groups of employees this applies to, a couple new groups will be created, a couple snowflakes will be exempt.

The policy will then go into effect and we'll get 50 calls from pissed off, overworked people on the floor about how their piece of poo poo computer is messing up and it's our fault.

Then we'll have 2-3 more meetings tomorrow and undo everything back to the way it was. Because someone can't lock their computer when they walk away from it.

Edit: Actually they are going to want to change it so after 1 minute the screen saver comes on but then after 6 minutes it locks.

Also I got three more data entry pages.

"Uhhh so who's job are we doing? Why didn't they just enter this on a laptop in the first place?" (everyone in the department got a couple pages earlier)

Well it was faster for them to do it on paper....so-and-so told so-and-so we would do it for them.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 8, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

1 minute lockout is completely unreasonable. gently caress that noise.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I get it but it seems like your work is a constant source of dumb poo poo that you're not in a position to change but the effects of every decision roll down onto you. All you can really do is zone out for your own mental health and see what the job market is looking like, you're way past the point of trying to manage upwards on this.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Smart card being removed locks your computer, and you can't change rooms or enter the loo without it?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Biowarfare posted:

Smart card being removed locks your computer, and you can't change rooms or enter the loo without it?

When I was a contractor for a health insurance company they used smart cards for everything and I would regularly find them on people's desks unattended so... eh.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Internet Explorer posted:

1 minute lockout is completely unreasonable. gently caress that noise.

Yeah this is like the one time I'm with Bob; 1 minute of inactivity to lock the screen is ridiculous. That's like "I took a minute to re-read a case thoroughly" levels of time and could easily be tripped by a present and active user.

5 minutes is valid, as is setting and upholding an expectation that "if you leave your desk and do not lock your workstation that is considered a write-up-able offense, don't loving do it", but one minute is some crazy overreaction poo poo.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Woof Blitzer posted:

When I was a contractor for a health insurance company they used smart cards for everything and I would regularly find them on people's desks unattended so... eh.

I knew someone who ran important data for a state adoption agency who just left the usb key lock in the computer 24/7 and I about had a melt down. I didnt' work with them, it was just a friend but I was just like JESUS loving CHRIST YOU MORON

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We had the "we really think turning on cameras during zoom meetings will make everyone feel less isolated" lecture.

Uh but I LIKE being isolated. This has been the most enjoyable year of my entire IT career.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

We had the "we really think turning on cameras during zoom meetings will make everyone feel less isolated" lecture.

Uh but I LIKE being isolated. This has been the most enjoyable year of my entire IT career.

But this is your golden opportunity to be able to have everyone see your face without associating it with your body odor!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Woof Blitzer posted:

Immediate termination not enough of a carrot to dangle?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah this is like the one time I'm with Bob; 1 minute of inactivity to lock the screen is ridiculous. That's like "I took a minute to re-read a case thoroughly" levels of time and could easily be tripped by a present and active user.

5 minutes is valid, as is setting and upholding an expectation that "if you leave your desk and do not lock your workstation that is considered a write-up-able offense, don't loving do it", but one minute is some crazy overreaction poo poo.

People aren't really pushing for 1 minute lockout. They are pushing for people to lock their machines when not present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

xzzy posted:

I played this during our department staff meeting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZr142ka96k

It seemed to help management understand that we don't need to be on camera all the time, except for the ones that want to be micromanagers. If you can get away with it, something like FaceRig can be pretty helpful as well.