Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ither posted:

How do you deal with a bad new job?

A couple of months ago, I left a low paying but chill job for a six figure position. The money is great, but everything else is terrible.

For instance:

1) I'm stuck in meetings (stand ups and other ceremonies) from 9 to 12.

2) I'm new, so I can't really do anything on my own yet. But when I try to ask questions, they are either too busy or just straight up ignore me.

I'm thinking about starting the job hunt again, but should I give it more time?

You got hired because the project was in trouble and management claimed that the reason they were behind is lack of resources, so upper management called their bluff and hired a lot of people. The reason your company is trying scrum is because their previous development methodology (which they'll call waterfall) didn't work, so they are imposing "agile" onto your development team. Management has fixated on the whole "working software every x weeks" thing, and has set hard deadlines. Your coworkers don't want to show you the code because they are busy trying to create a series of Potemkin-village style demos to show "progress" every two weeks in the sprint demo, and frankly the code sucks and doesn't make sense, and they don't think anyone on the individual contributor level can help with that. The project will fail because you can't make working software out of potemkin village style demos every two weeks. Fortunately, your paycheck is not in danger because the company probably has money if they have three hour meetings and are hiring new people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ither posted:

How do you deal with a bad new job?

A couple of months ago, I left a low paying but chill job for a six figure position. The money is great, but everything else is terrible.

For instance:

1) I'm stuck in meetings (stand ups and other ceremonies) from 9 to 12.

2) I'm new, so I can't really do anything on my own yet. But when I try to ask questions, they are either too busy or just straight up ignore me.

I'm thinking about starting the job hunt again, but should I give it more time?

- look for a new job if you want to not feel like poo poo at work
- don't look for a new job if you want to figure out how to seem just productive enough to not get fired while making 6 figures

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
At some point it stop being surprising how the same mistake is repeated again and again by multiple organisations regarding software development and to a broader sense project management in general.

As an individual contributor there are next to no chance of you having an influence over this.

Interviewing is a two-way street. If you take time to think about it, were there telltale sign you could have picked up during the process that you can pick up during your next round of interview.

From personal experience, the best job is not purely a function of you financial compensation.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Number gotta go up...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AskYourself posted:

From personal experience, the best job is not purely a function of you financial compensation.

I disagree, it's just that it's a large multiplicative value.

Would I work 80 hour weeks? Maybe. If it was low 7 figures almost assuredly.

Would I put up with a dysfunctional environment? Maybe. But it'd need to be high enough to be worthwhile.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hughlander posted:

I disagree, it's just that it's a large multiplicative value.

Would I work 80 hour weeks? Maybe. If it was low 7 figures almost assuredly.

Would I put up with a dysfunctional environment? Maybe. But it'd need to be high enough to be worthwhile.

There is no way in hell anybody making 7 figures is working more than 20 hours a week unless you are in a startup.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You need to be thinking in terms of career progress and life satisfaction. Early on that first one is more or less synonymous with your current income, but later on it diverges a bit. And yes, quality of life is worth trading off some cash.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

AskYourself posted:

At some point it stop being surprising how the same mistake is repeated again and again by multiple organisations regarding software development and to a broader sense project management in general.

As an individual contributor there are next to no chance of you having an influence over this.

Interviewing is a two-way street. If you take time to think about it, were there telltale sign you could have picked up during the process that you can pick up during your next round of interview.

Thinking back, I didn't ask as many questions as I should have.

The money seduced me. :eng99:

ultrafilter posted:

You need to be thinking in terms of career progress and life satisfaction. Early on that first one is more or less synonymous with your current income, but later on it diverges a bit. And yes, quality of life is worth trading off some cash.

I'm starting to understand this.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Ither posted:

I've been put on multiple projects, each with their own standup and ceremonies. This adds up to my morning calendar being booked pretty much everyday.

Oof that's bad. If those three projects are completely different you'll be ramping up very slowly. Even if the tech stack is the same just the domains being different will be bad and make context switching hard.

Are the stakeholders completely different? If you have essentially three bosses you work for it may be impossible to appear like you're making forward progress even if you are busting your rear end.

If everyone else just has one job, and you have three jobs, guess how hard you have to work to not look bad.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

DoomTrainPhD posted:

There is no way in hell anybody making 7 figures is working more than 20 hours a week unless you are in a startup.

Well then I guess I won't be working 80 hours!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I don't even want to work 80 hours a month

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

If you work more than you're paid for without adequate remuneration then you're a chump which your employer will notice and take advantage of. I get paid to work 38 hours a week and that's exactly what I work (Approximately, TBH I'm not counting and neither is my manager, as long as I get poo poo done it's fine). I've no qualms with working more than the 38 as long as I can claim OT.

The notion of working beyond what you're paid to in order to advance your career is both regressive, toxic and downright dumb. Your employer's goal is to extract as much value from you whilst giving as little remuneration as possible. If they know that you'll work for free in an attempt to achieve some goal then they're incentivised to keep that out of reach and encourage your regressive behaviour.

Also anyone earning >=7 figgies is most certainly not working more than they're expected to.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Fintech roles easily pay that much specifically because they require both great skills and long days.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Is there anyone pulling down 7 figures in fintech who isn't trading?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

prom candy posted:

:emptyquote:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Working in Development: I don't even want to work 80 hours a month

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

Is there anyone pulling down 7 figures in fintech who isn't trading?

I thought that was pretty standard when you take into account bonuses but I could be wrong.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Fintech roles easily pay that much specifically because they require both great skills and long days.

I was in a fintech role that had me consistently doing overnight deployment support and had poo poo pay! Though to be fair once I really realized how much I was being shafted I got out of that hellhole quick.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Even in a big bank or hedge fund with stupid amounts of cash you have to demonstrate your effect on the bottom line to pull down that kind of money. I can't imagine fintech being much different.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What happens in those places when they have a bad year? Do they still invent a reason to give out big bonuses or do they cut the bonuses and everyone leaves except the chumps?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Ither posted:

I've been put on multiple projects, each with their own standup and ceremonies.

If you're a new hire that's super dumb; you should start out with only one. I'd speak with your manager about it if they're not a tool.

I've been in this situation, but usually it comes about if you've shown yourself to be a person who gets poo poo done, the company does not have enough of those people to go around, and you have trouble saying no. You get stuck in meetings and ceremonies all day, but you're still expected to deliver in all these teams so you start working more hours... Burnout 3: Takedown

marumaru
May 20, 2013

prom candy posted:

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Some good questions to ask during an interview relate to how they handle software lifecycle management. How do they handle work assignement, how pull request are conducted, how does a code change get release to production, who's doing estimate, system design, quality control. The area of friction can come from inside a team but it also often come between departement interactions.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

smackfu posted:

What happens in those places when they have a bad year? Do they still invent a reason to give out big bonuses or do they cut the bonuses and everyone leaves except the chumps?

You get fired. As long as the gravy train is rolling everything is fine.

They'll find a reason why you don't function anymore and off you go.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

YanniRotten posted:

Oof that's bad. If those three projects are completely different you'll be ramping up very slowly. Even if the tech stack is the same just the domains being different will be bad and make context switching hard.

Are the stakeholders completely different? If you have essentially three bosses you work for it may be impossible to appear like you're making forward progress even if you are busting your rear end.

If everyone else just has one job, and you have three jobs, guess how hard you have to work to not look bad.

Everyone is on multiple projects. The core is the same, but every client wants tweaks and customizations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Just venting but how do you let a file get to 1300 lines and not think "you know maybe some of this functionality doesn't belong here"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

prom candy posted:

Just venting but how do you let a file get to 1300 lines and not think "you know maybe some of this functionality doesn't belong here"

By not caring or not being paid enough to care OP.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

DoomTrainPhD posted:

By not caring or not being paid enough to care OP.

But like presumably as you're writing the file you're also working on it? I don't refactor code because that's what I get paid to do, I do it to keep my sanity while I'm working. I guess maybe it's the same people who don't care that their sink is piled with dirty dishes?

I get if you inherit an 1100 line file and need to cram 200 lines of functionality into it, I'm not washing somebody else's dishes either

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Looking at other’s people’s code takes away from time spent writing more technical debt that makes you feel more productive and get you those sweet sprint points, bro

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

necrobobsledder posted:

Looking at other’s people’s code takes away from time spent writing more technical debt that makes you feel more productive and get you those sweet sprint points, bro
Refactoring requires me to read code, and that requires me sustaining attention on something that doesn't engage my brain the way that writing code does. Since I never developed an ADHD coping strategy for this situation, I'm just going to not do it, and hope that everything turns out for the best. If it's really important, somebody else will do it anyway,

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

prom candy posted:

I’ve been debugging through multiple 10k line files and some classes with like 100 fields for the last few weeks. It’s been loads of fun.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I somehow broke something in 2014 that we just found out a couple of days ago. Said code has been running in production that whole time. Woops.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
People who learn that methods should be short and do only one thing, and then proceed to wrap the entire standard library in one-line methods are annoying. I hate having to read the methods they write where they actually try to do some work, because it's now almost entirely in a syntax they've decided on rather than the standard and I have to look up every method to see what it actually does.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Wibla posted:

I somehow broke something in 2014 that we just found out a couple of days ago. Said code has been running in production that whole time. Woops.

Honestly that's your own fault for staying at the same job for 6 years

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

prom candy posted:

Honestly that's your own fault for staying at the same job for 6 years

I’ve been at my job for 7.5 years and still stoked about it AMA

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm just joshin I stayed at my last job for ages and I hope to stay at this one for a long time too.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Steve French posted:

I’ve been at my job for 7.5 years and still stoked about it AMA

What is your job and why are you still stoked?

I'm at my job 7 years and progressively less and less stoked every year.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Just lol if you don’t put off sleep for hours every night to avoid having to wake up and go to work.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

prom candy posted:

IDK I've never really understood this - if I have a ButtService and I'm doing a lot of butt-related functionality, why wouldn't it get to 1k+ lines? IDEs take a lot of the pain out of long files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ChickenWing posted:

IDK I've never really understood this - if I have a ButtService and I'm doing a lot of butt-related functionality, why wouldn't it get to 1k+ lines? IDEs take a lot of the pain out of long files.

You might be doing too much with butts in your butt service. It may start to make sense to break out different aspects. It's not an issue of file length, it's an issue of big classes being change resistant due to testing surface area and bloated contracts. Lines of code is just a heuristic that can point to a class that's violating the single responsibility principle.

And in job length chat:

This year will be 10 at my current job. Still like it. Not going anywhere.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 7, 2021