Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

boz posted:

is this real

https://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_spirits_(Metal_Gear_series) number 767

quote:

The green Villager puppet fighter represents Paz Ortega Andrade, a young woman who is often seen wearing a pair of green boots.
The Giant R.O.B. minion fighter represents Metal Gear ZEKE, a giant Metal Gear which Paz hijacks at the end of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.
The stage references Peace Walker taking place in the wilderness of Costa Rica.
The music represents Paz's appearance in Peace Walker.
This spirit's Bob-omb Equipped effect and Bob-omb Festival hazard references the two bombs implanted in Paz's body, one of which eventually detonates in Ground Zeroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

boz posted:

is this real

Different timestamps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yphnqyCqYgI&t=639s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yphnqyCqYgI&t=679s

veni veni veni posted:

There was something like that in Peace Walker. You then "examine" her which is using an X ray to look at her underwear lol.

Lots of great ideas being used in the worst ways. I remember it first showing up after you save Amanda from that kidnapper and being able to look at her broken leg.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 7, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I know there are so many things wrong with what the writers have done across the board but I still can't get over her real name being "Pacifica Ocean"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I know there are so many things wrong with what the writers have done across the board but I still can't get over her real name being "Pacifica Ocean"
Is it really that much worse than Hot Coldman

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Die Hardman

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is it really that much worse than Hot Coldman

Considering our real life Eugene Goodman, yes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I didn't even know you could bow in the game until I saw something mention hidden shrines.

I was looking for it on the wrong part of the Island. And yea, it was do that and go back and light the lighthouse that is part of the final story mission.

Bam, that's 2 plat games, this and Spider-Man.

Okay, who did this?

Well, life really is like a hurricane in Kamurocho

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The reveal about that name by the end of the game was incredible.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Metal gear at least the last two main titles are an example of when horny is obtrusive.

Having villians who are girls that had horrible trauma contrasted with the writhing on the ground and posing sexily was a thing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In any case the best Metal Gear game does its best to avoid falling into most of those traps

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1368316085653618690

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I will acknowledge that Kojima was probably well aware of elements of the sexism on display in MGS4 (coming out of the iraq war years), and was quite intent on juxtaposing the violence of western society, corporatist abstraction, commodity fetish, and the subjugation of women. The problem is more a lack of effective or meaningful articulation, it's a messy rear end buffet of undercooked ideas. Will your audience actually understand what you are trying to say when you have them firing a gun at the moaning catsuit ladies until they cum? I mean, maybe. :geno:

MGSV has no excuse, tho, it's just kind of revolting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The problem is more a lack of effective or meaningful articulation, it's a messy rear end buffet of undercooked ideas. Will your audience actually understand what you are trying to say when you have them firing a gun at the moaning catsuit ladies until they cum? I mean, maybe. :geno:

IDK that he deserves the benefit of the doubt, given his other work.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I will acknowledge that Kojima was probably well aware of elements of the sexism on display in MGS4 (coming out of the iraq war years), and was quite intent on juxtaposing the violence of western society, corporatist abstraction, commodity fetish, and the subjugation of women. The problem is more a lack of effective or meaningful articulation, it's a messy rear end buffet of undercooked ideas. Will your audience actually understand what you are trying to say when you have them firing a gun at the moaning catsuit ladies until they cum? I mean, maybe. :geno:

Again, there's like the kernel of an idea there and then there's the photoshoot minigame

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I mean, probably not much, yeah, though I do think he's getting at something loading this stuff in at the front end of his game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSZl0Es_BBs

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Rinkles posted:

Yeah, I mean, let's not beat around the bush there: Kojima is a great game maker, but he's also kind of a sleazebag.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I tried to play Control and I really want to get into it but man, it feels like a game that was designed with the PS5/PC in mind because it chugs on my base PS4.

I got it free with PS+ but I assume it would run better on a PS5 whenever I get one? Or does it need a special patch to take advantage?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

To be honest I don’t really give a gently caress about any of that, it’s not like he’s been outed as some sort of disgusting sex pest like uh everyone in Ubisoft

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it’s not like he’s been outed as some sort of disgusting sex pest
Yet.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

To be honest I don’t really give a gently caress about any of that, it’s not like he’s been outed as some sort of disgusting sex pest like uh everyone in Ubisoft

ok

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ugh please stop doing the whole "I don't like what's in this guy's work, he's probably an abuser"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i don't think anyone even made it as far as 'i don't like this guy's work' yet lol. this thread almost universally adores his work :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gently caress off with this poo poo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean only one person did that. Personally o wouldn’t care about his perv stuff if it wasn’t so front and center.

Sometimes he’s so horny it gives the scenes pacing issues and Kojima already struggled with that

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m playing more of Rage 2 at the moment and I wonder how much involvement id actually had with it cos there’s tons of stuff that feels like they were doing it as test runs for Doom Eternal

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

maybe let's drop the subject, it seems like people are getting mad all of a sudden.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

gently caress off with this poo poo
Well, excuse for being a bit cynical about it after seeing all the other auteur types that gamers like to fanboy over getting their shittiness exposed in recent years.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bad take

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, excuse for being a bit cynical about it after seeing all the other auteur types that gamers like to fanboy over getting their shittiness exposed in recent years.

video game lead with a strong vision -----> rapist

truly an accursed post, one of the worst I have seen lately

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

:blastu: this whole page

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:gas:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I mean, probably not much, yeah, though I do think he's getting at something loading this stuff in at the front end of his game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSZl0Es_BBs

Something I never thought of, was Hayter the voice of Snake in the Japanese MGS? (Because Snake is American)

Or was there a different video clip intro for the JP MGS4?

Having David Hayter not just voice snake but appear as himself in MGS4 and then cutting him from MGS5, :sigh:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Something I never thought of, was Hayter the voice of Snake in the Japanese MGS? (Because Snake is American)

Or was there a different video clip intro for the JP MGS4?

Having David Hayter not just voice snake but appear as himself in MGS4 and then cutting him from MGS5, :sigh:

No, the same voice actor (Akio Otsuka) has voiced Snake since MGS1 and still did Venom Snake in MGS5.

Also his real life dad Chikao Otsuka voiced Big Boss in MGS4!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

No, the same voice actor (Akio Otsuka) has voiced Snake since MGS1 and still did Venom Snake in MGS5.

Also his real life dad Chikao Otsuka voiced Big Boss in MGS4!

That's what I thought. So did JP MGS4 have different intro TV clips? Or did they still have Hayter for no reason?

E: Looks like it does have the English TV clips in the Japanese version. Weird.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 7, 2021

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I came in late to the 'are video games too sexy' discussion but the first time I ever noticed and was vaguely offended by fan service in a game was in Ninja Gaiden 2 when the lady FBI agent is dressed like some kind of bondage hooker

Somehow every costume in Dead or Alive up to that point didn't even register as unusual (possibly because everyone is dressed ridiculously in a fighting game) but this FBI agent wearing leather hot pants was a step too far for even teenage boy me

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Conker's Bad Fur Day made me feel dirty just for playing it within seconds of starting, but nothing else has even come close. Stretch Panic probably should have but it made sense in context, and Vanillaware games just are like that so I didn't really notice or care. Heck, even Leisure Suit Larry (at least the first four) weren't super awful about it; it was just part of the game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That BMX game

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bust Rodd posted:

So you're saying that there's no context in which a female character could be naked in a game (shower/swimming/escaping from a lab a la' 5th Element) or show off their body (maybe a cultural armor or skintight venom-symbiote style costume) that you wouldn't find contrived or fan-servicey? What about nude dudes? Are video games a strictly asexual environment for you? Is there any distinction between Nudity and Horny?

I'm asking because I really thought I was anti-horny in games to basically this degree but the sex in TW3 and Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't really bother me at all because it's handled in ways that are specifically hypernormalized and not taboo. Like even as a teen I hated Lulu's design in FFX and was the only 14 year old boy going "This doesn't make any sense for a woman who lives on a tropical island, get some jeans, gurl" and the romance/sex scenes in Mass Effect are legit painful for me to playthrough, but then when sexuality is handled as a core component of the character (Bayonetta) I find that I am totally on board! If the character is designed to be in control of that and the writing is cheeky (!) or slick enough then I tend to be into it! The sex scenes in 2077 or TW3 reflect a more realistic portrayal of adult sexual situations and aren't as transparently "horny" in the teen weeb anime sense, to me.

Does that make sense to anyone else? Bayonetta, TW3, and 2077 are the games that I think best handle sexual subtext and themes in an inoffensive way compared to video games where you can, like, try to bang all your friends for achievements and gamify sex.

EDIT: The sex scenes in The Last of Us 2 enhance the game by adding to the narrative pretty significantly, IMO

There is definitely a distinction between nudity and horny. It is possible to have nudity in games without it turning into fan service but I havent seen it yet. Theres also a difference between sexuality and horny. In the case of W3 theres no issue with the characters having sex but when you start to show it explicitly you begin to walk that fine line. If it were just the unicorn scene and nothing else I could see that as more in service of the characters and plot, but when you start to add in all the other random sex scenes where the reward for picking the correct option is to see the same pair of fake tits on several different women they are straying into fan service area

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I was curious if Death Stranding had Japanese voice acting, since MGS did and it's also very much about America, and the guy who voiced Genichiro did Sam Porter Bridge's Japanese voice, which is cool, that guy owns.

Do Bloodborne/Dark Souls have Japanese VA?

Policenaut posted:

The reveal about that name by the end of the game was incredible.

I screamed then loled in delirium as I tried to finish the game at like 4:30 am.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 7, 2021

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

there's an element of creepy voyeurism that really makes that difference imo, like it's one thing to just include loving in the game and acknowledge that you're loving for normal hookup reasons or whatever but another just to have the camera constantly on a character's rear end or up their skirt just nonchalantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

So you're saying that there's no context in which a female character could be naked in a game (shower/swimming/escaping from a lab a la' 5th Element) or show off their body (maybe a cultural armor or skintight venom-symbiote style costume) that you wouldn't find contrived or fan-servicey? What about nude dudes? Are video games a strictly asexual environment for you? Is there any distinction between Nudity and Horny?

There's definitely a lot of movies with nudity in them that isn't sexual or isn't meant to be horny, but 5th element is an odd choice. Pretty strong feelings of male gaze / fanservice / cheesecake there IMO. The fact that they somewhat lampshade it doesn't mean it isn't still an instance of that.

fridge corn posted:

There is definitely a distinction between nudity and horny. It is possible to have nudity in games without it turning into fan service but I havent seen it yet. Theres also a difference between sexuality and horny. In the case of W3 theres no issue with the characters having sex but when you start to show it explicitly you begin to walk that fine line. If it were just the unicorn scene and nothing else I could see that as more in service of the characters and plot, but when you start to add in all the other random sex scenes where the reward for picking the correct option is to see the same pair of fake tits on several different women they are straying into fan service area

I'm trying to think of any examples... but not coming up with much. Maybe the really lifeless nude bodies in something like that Conan game? I don't think that game actually had sex scenes or anything. Just had dongs because in Conan you're supposed to be running around in a loin cloth.

But I think most games shy away from sexuality in general, so we don't have a lot of cases of mature nudity either.