Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Oh poo poo he said Hall of Flavor, didn't he

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

the big Guy, feed me more

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

I'd legit love to see Guy Fieri as a celebrity guest. For someone as over-the-top as he is he also comes off (and is apparently) as down to Earth behind the scenes.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

These motherfuckers...

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1368275188815593472?s=20

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Posting as a screenshot because of the like at the top being perfect.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

The only way to escape is to climb the cage! Or ask the ref to open the door, I guess.

IIRC someone once posted that Bruno Sammartino would win cage matches via door escape by beating the other guy half to death, and then calmly sauntering through the door. That's the only time a door escape has ever sounded like a satisfying conclusion to a cage match.

Shine fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 7, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shine posted:

The only way to escape is to climb the cage! Or ask the ref to open the door, I guess.

IIRC someone once posted that Bruno Sammartino would win cage matches via door escape by besting the other guy half to death, and then calmly sauntering through the door. That's the only time a door escape has ever sounded like a satisfying conclusion to a cage match.

I remember a cage match he had with Zbyszko basically ending like that. He eventually overpowers Zbyszko, batters the poo poo out of him, is on his way out, but makes sure to give him one last punch to finish the job, and then he leaves.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Door escapes in cage matches are absolute boring bullshit 100% of the time and I’ll die on this hill.

Don’t give me that “it’s because the cage is to stop the cowardly heel running away so a face climbing over the side makes no sense” poo poo, the entire point should be that in order to win you have to beat the other guy so badly that he can’t stop you from climbing out of the cage.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Door escapes in cage matches are absolute boring bullshit 100% of the time and I’ll die on this hill.

Don’t give me that “it’s because the cage is to stop the cowardly heel running away so a face climbing over the side makes no sense” poo poo, the entire point should be that in order to win you have to beat the other guy so badly that he can’t stop you from climbing out of the cage.

Any kind of escape rules are stupid. Bruno walking out of the cage was at least a cool visual, climbing over the cage is boring.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

All cage matches should be regular no dq matches, the cage should have a roof and should be the blow off for a feud in which someone keeps escaping their comeuppance.

Also no one should ever be able to interfere. That includes Kane and Big Show

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm on team climb out of the cage. In fact, that should be the ONLY way to win. No pinfall or DQ or going out the door. You gotta go over the top.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Somebody climbing out of the cage was probably mind-blowingly cool the very first time somebody did it

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Escape rules are bad. Cages are structures that are good for providing space for cool spots and escape rules make those spots seem dumb.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I've always hated the escape poo poo

A cage match is the blowoff to a really heated feud where the wrestlers want to kill each other and you win by... fleeing? Lame

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tully and Magnum proved that all cage matches should be "I Quit" matches.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Orange Carlisle posted:

I've always hated the escape poo poo

A cage match is the blowoff to a really heated feud where the wrestlers want to kill each other and you win by... fleeing? Lame

Only the heel is fleeing. The face is beating the piss out of the heel to the point that they’ve finished the job so thoroughly that the only thing left to do is walk away, like when the hero doesn’t look back at the exploding building at the end of any given action movie.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm on team climb out of the cage. In fact, that should be the ONLY way to win. No pinfall or DQ or going out the door. You gotta go over the top.

:hmmyes:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Only the heel is fleeing. The face is beating the piss out of the heel to the point that they’ve finished the job so thoroughly that the only thing left to do is walk away, like when the hero doesn’t look back at the exploding building at the end of any given action movie.

cool

when's the last time that was actually how an escape the cage match played out, 1972?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

A good cage match should be a contained last man standing match, basically.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
There should be a cage match where initially the heel tries to flee but then the face says “oh you missed the fine print in the contract for this match” and then a roof descends and it’s actually helllll in a celll

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

How about having a cage, and then putting a Hell in a Cell structure around it, and then having a bunch of dogs running around in between the two cages?

It can't possibly fail!

Seriously though: "escape rules = all bad" is not entirely fair, when it comes down to the manner in which it's applied. The Bruno v. Zbyszko cage match works really well because it's built around the winner battering the other down to the point where they can no longer capable of fighting, and then leaving. What I'm trying to say is, it comes down to how the rules of the match are used in the story that you're trying to tell.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 7, 2021

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Could one or more of these cages possibly be made of bamboo or a bamboo-like substance?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
bring back the blue bar steel cage, but only let terrible people do matches in it since it hurts way more

e: or this thing (and the Tower of Doooooooooom)

e2: also more Punjabi Prison matches

Hirez fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 7, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Can we stack two or three cages, and then have two guys battle about 7 or 8 guys who have formed some sort of alliance to end something?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Arn and Flair in those grey sweatsuits so they don't get scraped meanwhile the Dungeon of Doom is shredding lettuce on the cage lmao

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The point of a cage is to keep Jey Uso from interfering in your match, god drat it

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Where wrestling is now, cage matches only exist for someone to do a death defying leap off the top onto their opponent instead of leaving and winning the match. So every cage match has a spot where the good guy reveals that he is brave, and a little bit crazy, and also very dumb.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What if there was an electric chair inside the cage?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Stealth Tiger posted:

Where wrestling is now, cage matches only exist for someone to do a death defying leap off the top onto their opponent instead of leaving and winning the match. So every cage match has a spot where the good guy reveals that he is brave, and a little bit crazy, and also very dumb.

This was a specific game mechanic in the PS2 Smackdown games. When you reached the top of the cage, your character would stand there for a moment, and you could press a button to leap onto your opponent. Or press nothing and after a second or two you'll just climb down the back and win, but where's the fun in that?

Now I'm remembering when Rikishi cage splashed Val Venis. Christ.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Vince MechMahon posted:

Basically the Dragon Gate Dead or Alive match, which is a six man cage match with five flags at the top. You grab one to escape and the last person left loses either their hair or their mask. Lots of unit shenanigans.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

cage matches should only be won by breaking the cage to be able to get out. no door or open top

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

yo what if you had to tunnel out

or like, what if the title was buried underground and you had to dig to it. could you imagine

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Stealth Tiger posted:

or like, what if the title was buried underground and you had to dig to it. could you imagine

A Reverse Buried Alive Match

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why not just make the cage walls solid?

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Darby & Sting vs Team Taz in a Scavenger Hunt Match for the TNT Title

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Stealth Tiger posted:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Stealth Tiger posted:

JBL literally won a cage match this way IIRC

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Penguin Patrol posted:

Darby & Sting vs Team Taz in a Scavenger Hunt Match for the TNT Title

DDT has definitely done this stip at some point

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the cage should be made out of solid plastic, and the wrestlers have to sit in the corner chewing on it for quite a while until a hole forms and they can escape the cage. the promoter's parents have to find the wrestler dead underneath something later on and never tell the promoter that they found it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
e: woops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

smoe joe: oh bother