Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

Yeah, the year is never displayed in-game but assuming Persona 5 takes place in 2016, Ken is 17 when Persona 5 starts. He'd be a third year like Makoto and Haru probably.

The other question is how old is Nanako. Because I think she's about the right age too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If P5 takes place in 2016, then Nanako would be 11 or 12, she was only ~6 in P4 iirc.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

P5 can't take place in any other year than 2016 because Rise is explicitly 20 years old (plus the calendar matches and 20 years since P1.)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just finished Strikers. I think the road trip vibe really helped the group gel as a true team of friends, as opposed to Persona 5. However when comparing the main storylines, I prefer Persona 5's twist of "Haha, we actually knew it was Akechi all along" (but didn't show it to the audience) over "Oh my God it was Ichinose! And Sophia was a prototype Emma what??"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One thing I like over the three games is how the balance is slowly improved over each game. P3 was terribly balanced, with Akihiko carrying all three debuffs, Yukari > Ken for almost everything, and Junpei really only being good on certain days unless you really like Marakukaja.

P4 was pretty solid, with Yukiko vs. Teddie being 'better mage' vs 'better utility', Chie having Power Charge and better trash clearing vs Kanji's raw stats, and Naoto being great at trash mobs but terrible at bosses. P4G kinda screwed over the balance a bit, though; Naoto became universally better, Kanji got Power Charge and kinda stomped on Chie until January, and Yukiko basically watches the world burn.

P5 is... good? Ryuji and Ann's kits are nearly perfect and it's amazing how consistently useful they are. Morgana and Makoto swap back and forth between who's the better healer until late game where Makoto just wins out, and Haru and Yusuke... well, they're not optimal but they have enough to be serviceable. P5R gave everyone some customizability and more unique stuff, though I feel like Haru and Morgana still lost out (at least the latter still has Miracle Punch). P4 is probably slightly better balanced but the P5 cast feels more fun to use because of Baton Pass.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If you get Yusuke Charge at the jazz club he’s really good. It’s crazy that it’s only available once though.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

ApplesandOranges posted:

One thing I like over the three games is how the balance is slowly improved over each game. P3 was terribly balanced, with Akihiko carrying all three debuffs, Yukari > Ken for almost everything, and Junpei really only being good on certain days unless you really like Marakukaja.

P4 was pretty solid, with Yukiko vs. Teddie being 'better mage' vs 'better utility', Chie having Power Charge and better trash clearing vs Kanji's raw stats, and Naoto being great at trash mobs but terrible at bosses. P4G kinda screwed over the balance a bit, though; Naoto became universally better, Kanji got Power Charge and kinda stomped on Chie until January, and Yukiko basically watches the world burn.

P5 is... good? Ryuji and Ann's kits are nearly perfect and it's amazing how consistently useful they are. Morgana and Makoto swap back and forth between who's the better healer until late game where Makoto just wins out, and Haru and Yusuke... well, they're not optimal but they have enough to be serviceable. P5R gave everyone some customizability and more unique stuff, though I feel like Haru and Morgana still lost out (at least the latter still has Miracle Punch). P4 is probably slightly better balanced but the P5 cast feels more fun to use because of Baton Pass.

Well, Haru gets the gun version of miracle punch but no charge/concentrate isn't great. This kind of kills the last party member too since they can't get charge from the jazz club. At least in P5R there's no member as bad as Yosuke in P4G who I benched as soon as possible. He's also my second least favorite party member so it was a easy decision. Morgana gets Salvation but I'd rather bring more damage and choosing between Makoto and Morgana is incredibly easy.

P5R Final boss: The final palace was pretty good but the boss kind of disappointed me. I was playing on hard too but full party heatraiser, debilitate and Yoshitsune trivializes anything sadly. I figured the second phase would be harder but apparently he has like 2.5k hp which would've been pathetic if I was just attacking. Instead I won with 1 Hassou Tobi. I was pretty hyped for the last fight but instead you win after surviving 3 turns which is anticlimactic. Allow me to damage the stupid thing instead of just handing me the win damnit. I could've just guarded and healed once and there would be 0 chance of losing. Very good game but I wish there was a point to making the better personas. It's not like I couldn't have won easily without Yoshitsune it just would've taken a few more attacks.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
P4G Yosuke is fine, he's a perfectly decent all-rounder and brings a buff option so Teddie isn't burning all his actions on buffing. I can think of several characters that I'd less rather use in boss fights if the weakness doesn't call for it (Koromaru, P4 Naoto, P5 Haru).

It's fine to not like the character (and he has plenty that has aged really badly), but it's a disservice to call him a bad character mechanically when he's perfectly adept. I'm not even sure he's the worst character in P4G since he's not completely outclassed like Chie is once Kanji joins (at least until January).

Also in regards to P5R: that's what the NG+ bonus bosses are for.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I don't particularly hate Yosuke, he and Teddie are just easily my least favorite party members. The fact that he gets stuck with medium tier heals, wind spells and physical attacks for a very long time kills him for me. He's a red mage that doesn't get dual cast. I'd rather run Yukiko/Chie/Kanji because it's not like Yosuke gets charge/concentrate either. He's not bad, just somewhat weaker than the rest. It's not like you need to min/max your party at all so it's not really a problem.

I wonder if I'll instantly bench the wind user in P6 or if I go back and play P3 because I'm 2 for 2 so far.

Edit: I guess the NG+ bosses could be fun but I'm not exactly rushing into NG+ after 132 hours just to do two bosses. Also, I was hoping P5R would let me use the MCs upgraded Persona since it isn't the last thing that happens in the game but nope that's NG+ too. What's the point of making a cool design for the MCs Persona if you never use them for more than a few hours? I get that you don't need your own persona to be good since you have hundreds to choose from but it feels like a waste of a good design.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 6, 2021

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Brandfarlig posted:

P5R Final boss: The final palace was pretty good but the boss kind of disappointed me. I was playing on hard too but full party heatraiser, debilitate and Yoshitsune trivializes anything sadly. I figured the second phase would be harder but apparently he has like 2.5k hp which would've been pathetic if I was just attacking. Instead I won with 1 Hassou Tobi. I was pretty hyped for the last fight but instead you win after surviving 3 turns which is anticlimactic. Allow me to damage the stupid thing instead of just handing me the win damnit. I could've just guarded and healed once and there would be 0 chance of losing. Very good game but I wish there was a point to making the better personas. It's not like I couldn't have won easily without Yoshitsune it just would've taken a few more attacks.

I think they just didn't bother balancing the new palace to P5R's overall easier experience.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yosuke's learnset isn't actually that bad. Compare him to the other two mages:

Yosuke learns Garula at 29, Magarula at 40, and Garudyne at 53. He gets Diarama at SL8, and it's very easy to get him up early to the point that you can get it by May or June playing fairly casually.
Yukiko learns Agilao at 21, Diarama at 33, Maragion at 39, and Agidyne at 51.
Teddie starts with Bufula and Mediarama, learns Mabufula at 38, and Bufudyne at 54.

So Yosuke is notably behind Yukiko for his mid-tier spell, but otherwise he's pretty much on par with them offensively from then on. They learn their Boost/Amps at similar levels, with Teddie getting Ice Boost a bit earlier than the other two. His healing obviously falls behind, but Diarahan is actually learned comparatively late by them (late 40s to early 50s), so he's fine as a spot healer if you don't need Mediarama, and since Teddie doesn't get a single target heal until Diarahan he can run dry on SP very quickly. The main thing holding him back is his mid-tier Ma, otherwise he's an equally competent caster, and his physical ability is way better than Teddie's. His exclusive skill isn't amazing but the boys pretty much all got shafted there, and his is much better than Kanji/Teddie's.

Honestly, Teddie packs a lot of utility but he's so busy and his skillset is so messy that if he wasn't a healer I'd consider him worst party member in P4G. Not as bad as P3 Ken, but SP is a real concern for him for a while.

Brandfarlig posted:

I wonder if I'll instantly bench the wind user in P6 or if I go back and play P3 because I'm 2 for 2 so far.

The good/bad news is that your wind user in P3 is pretty much indispensable since they're your primary healer and your alternative is gotten really late and honestly is just worse at the job all around.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 6, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

lunar detritus posted:

I think they just didn't bother balancing the new palace to P5R's overall easier experience.

Which is weird since it's all new. Still a pretty fun boss since it plays well with baton pass but I'd prefer if there was more of a point to how OP you can get.

Yeah since Yosuke gets his mid tier damage spell 8 levels later that's potentially an entire chapter. And Yukiko is the better dedicated healer since she gets Mediarama and gets the 50% heal boost which turns it into a full party heal basically. He's not that bad he just doesn't have a lot going for him other than being a decent bro some of the time and Kanjis got him beat there anyway. Also, if all games could just do away with molestation/harassment as a joke that'd stop a lot of characters from getting dumpstered.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 6, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In P5R it is kinda weird that there's no difficulty that really makes it worth it to be as strong as you can be, even without DLC personas. Hard isn't that hard once you're really up and running, and Merciless kinda makes you more OP if you know what you're doing.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Well I did it, I got to the ending credits which means after 133 hours I completed all of P5R.

It was far from a perfect playthough, given my inexperience with JRPGs and the Persona series in general. I missed out on maxing out a fair deal of confidants, and my Persona fusions were...less than stellar.

But I don't care, this game turned out to be an all-time great gaming experience for me. For two months this was literally the only game I was playing. I keep thinking about what kept bringing me back, was it the slick style, the incredible music, the multilayered battle system, palace exploration?

It was the characters and the writing. Seriously, this game has the best characterizations and writing I've ever seen in a video game since....Mass Effect 2, Witcher 3? And I think it even tops those games.

Every character felt like a real person to me, and I wanted to get to know all of them more, even after the credits. There were times I would force myself to turn off the game because I was getting too into it, and had to tend to my own reality (a major theme in the game itself!).

A part of me feels a little sad now that it is all over. As for the writing, goddamn. Some scenes could be an absolute emotional gut-punch, and other bits of dialogue had me literally laughing out loud.

I came into this game thinking it would be the RPG battles and palace explorations that would be the meat and potatoes, but for me it was the slice-of-life stuff and characters that kept me coming back. Certain palaces I wanted to finish sooner, just so I could go back to hanging out with my Phantom Thieves friends.

I don't think I will ever have it in me to do a NG+. However I cannot wait to play Persona 4G and then Strikers.

But I'm going to take a week or three off before I start P4G. Catch up on some of the other games and TV shows, because now I know, once you start a Persona game, it will be the only thing I will play until completion

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 6, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

A part of me feels a little sad now that it is all over.

This is a very familiar feeling for Persona fans, I'd wager. You spend so much time with these characters and in these places that it feels sad to leave them, every time.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Had that feeling when I completed P4G. I kinda wish a true sequel would be made and set a few years later so I can spend some more time with the cast.

If I were Atlus, due to possible demand, I would have a sequel to P4 and P5 in my 'break in case of emergency' backburner, kind of like what Squeenix had with FF7R.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

anakha posted:

Had that feeling when I completed P4G. I kinda wish a true sequel would be made and set a few years later so I can spend some more time with the cast.

If I were Atlus, due to possible demand, I would have a sequel to P4 and P5 in my 'break in case of emergency' backburner, kind of like what Squeenix had with FF7R.

It's called Persona 5 Arena if it ever comes out. Persona 4 Arena was effectively a sequel to P3 and P4.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

And since both p5 and 4 take place during the MCs second year of highschool I was almost yelling "just loving move there and do your last year there what the hell do you have going on in your home town" at the screen during credits.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Joker's parents don't even want him back, which is the ostensible reason Yu goes back despite his parents also sucking.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Yeah since some of your party is moving away for college in 5 it makes slightly more sense but in 4 you have a little sister, like 10 very close friends and probably 1 girlfriend. Just stay, Yu.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yu at least has the excuse that his parents sent him to Dojima because they couldn't look after him for a year, I think the idea is that they travel for work and Yu travels with them, but this time they're going out of the country and that's not something they want to do to their son who is just about ready to graduate high school.

It'd explain why they don't contact him either, if they're international whilst he's with his uncle.

We don't know how Joker's parents feel about him, but it's probably not good. He basically shamed his family with his criminal record, but perhaps they believed him and simply sent him to Sojiro because they had no other methods of helping him serve his probation. They simply might not contact him out of feeling like they don't deserve to do so for having been incapable of protecting him more. Or because they believe he attacked a government official.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQEW6qU_8BU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder if the idea with Joker returning home in Persona 5 is along the lines of like... he put so much effort into helping people not run from their problems here in Tokyo, maybe he feels like he has to go home and face his own past head-on.

If nothing else it's clear that by now Sojiro is his real dad and Futaba is his little sister, though.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Just started the third semester and it's already so good.

Is it supposed to feel like such an explicit parallel with Yaldabaoth? He grants the people's wish of not having to worry about anything, while Maruki grants their specific, individual wishes to make their lives completely free of suffering.

Also I didn't realize this on my first playthrough but it's weird how sudden the break in the narrative is from "the weak are oppressed by the strong, and that's bad" to "we're all oppressing ourselves by refusing to take charge of our own lives."

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Ok I lied in my post about waiting "weeks" before starting P4G...I couldn't even make it 24 hours. I started playing something else (Control) but found my mind wandering and wanting something more upbeat, more...Persona. Said "gently caress it why not" and loaded up P4G on Steam.

I'm an hour in and the first murder has occurred but so far it seems promising. I like the music, it is definitely more J-pop and boppy but I think it fits well with the time frame of the game (mid-2000s?) and I find myself nodding along to it.

The graphics are surprisingly good, especially the character models. I can't believe this was originally a PS2 game. The hub areas are of course smaller because of it's PS2 roots, but it doesn't seem to hold the game back because it is suppose to take place in a small town. The sound seems a little muted compared to how crisp it was in PS5, but again, I think that's because of it's PS2 roots.

Otherwise, so far, it feels like more Persona! And this alone makes me happy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I'm an hour in and the first murder has occurred but so far it seems promising. I like the music, it is definitely more J-pop and boppy but I think it fits well with the time frame of the game (mid-2000s?) and I find myself nodding along to it.

For reference, Persona 4 takes place in 2011-12. Persona 3 is in 2009-10, and Persona 5 is in 2016-17.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Harrow posted:

For reference, Persona 4 takes place in 2011-12. Persona 3 is in 2009-10, and Persona 5 is in 2016-17.

Really? Everyone in the game has CRT TV's and flip phones though! Then again, it is rural Japan...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Really? Everyone in the game has CRT TV's and flip phones though! Then again, it is rural Japan...

It came out in 2008, that's why. Flat screens were definitely a thing then but flip phones were still common and Atlus didn't really see the ubiquity of smartphones coming. Persona 3 and 4 were both set a few years after when they came out, while Persona 5 takes place in the year it came out. The years actually show up on the calendars in 3 and 4, unlike 5.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Smartphone adoption was slower in Japan than it was in the states from what I understand.

Now, the fact that the internet doesn't seem to exist in P4 outside of Yukiko googling Rise...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone was on their life journals and their myplaces all the time, ask morooka.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Funky Valentine posted:

Smartphone adoption was slower in Japan than it was in the states from what I understand.

Now, the fact that the internet doesn't seem to exist in P4 outside of Yukiko googling Rise...
Specifically it's that the modern ubiquitous smartphone design (flat w/touchscreen) took longer to catch on IIRC, they had smartphones with clamshell designs over there.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I miss flip phones.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How the hell does tycoon work, whoever runs out of cards first wins?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Acerbatus posted:

How the hell does tycoon work, whoever runs out of cards first wins?

A bit simplified but that’s pretty much it. I was surprised how much fun I had playing it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

flipphones had a real nice tactile sense to them and it was nice to have a screen you could like, close. i always put my phone face down just cause i dont wanna accidentally hit it out of rest mode and let everyone see my anime lockscreen

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

I miss flip phones.

flip open, flip closed, clack

repeat fifty thousand times and you have the soundtrack to roughly a decade of my life

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It was the characters and the writing. Seriously, this game has the best characterizations and writing I've ever seen in a video game since....Mass Effect 2, Witcher 3? And I think it even tops those games.

Every character felt like a real person to me, and I wanted to get to know all of them more, even after the credits. There were times I would force myself to turn off the game because I was getting too into it, and had to tend to my own reality (a major theme in the game itself!).

The Persona games make explicit one thing I think more games should do - having a structure for your NPCs. I don't think that the best Persona NPCs are better than in any other game - but even Ohya would be decent in almost any other RPG. First Persona gives each NPC a minimum of ten conversations (one for each rank) and a character arc. This on its own would be enough to give each NPC a B+ rating in any game. But the second thing Persona does is, by mapping each PC to an arcana on the fool's journey (any personality typing system would work), makes them all meaningfully different with a different psychology. This wouldn't just be good for a computer game - it would for a TV series.

Where it struggles is in a few places. First, particularly in P5, there are too few cross-links in the Phantom Thieves (and the P5 Showtimes are the big flashy things rather than the small flourishes that make all the difference). Second it's notable in P5(R) that they all text like Makoto. I'd expect Futaba's texting to be absolutely full of emojis, Ryuji to not use capital letters or punctuation, etc. And the translation was awkward to bad in many places; P5R improved some of the worst bits, but it still doesn't flow and doesn't get many of the nuances right ("Lady Ann" could have been done better for one). Still "it has bad translation" is far above most games.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Really does make you wonder how different Persona 4 would be if it were made in 2011. Instead of revolving around the television, it would focus on the internet and social media.

How people present themselves on facebook would form their shadows, or something.

Or it could be set in 2004 and be based on your gaia online profile instead

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think Persona 4 Dancing All Night updates all the tech to make it more contemporary, which is nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah as much criticism as the games get at times (and rightfully so), they are good at crafting an immersive world that's great for both dungeon crawling and slice-of-life.