Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i have a big bag of tvp in my stash, mostly use it to bulk out my various bean concoctions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i've done this before. biscuizza.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Elviscat posted:

I'm not a vegetarian, but I like substituting plant based meals for meat for at least half my meals, and I always just roll my eyes at the derails.

Anyways, there's this little gastropub in this lovely little town on the Olympic Peninsula that has the best black bean burger ever, huge and hearty and moist, it doesn't taste like meat obviously, but it's so rich and savory you don't care, I wish I could get their recipe.

What's the name of the restaurant? I'm headed down to the Olympic peninsula in a few weeks and could use me some recommendation.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Emmy made you guys a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrBTbfrucGk

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Huh. Just watched this a couple of hours ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGDT0LYJmxc

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm not seeing a problem here

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I heard Keurigs were declining in popularity.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've been making dishes with 1 part meat 3 parts TVP lately and it works great; other than a slight textural difference you can't really tell its not ground meat (at least, when in a sauce). I'm pretty sure you really only need the animal fat to pull off the effect, but I haven't acquired any straight fat yet. Not actually vegetarian, but still better than going all meat. And better for you than sweet, sweet fried tofu.

Black bean burgers are basically a falafel variant, and falafel is amazing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BigHead posted:

What's the name of the restaurant? I'm headed down to the Olympic peninsula in a few weeks and could use me some recommendation.

Next Door Gastropub in Port Angeles.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

"Fat"

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'd use lard but some might use Spry, or Crisco etc. It's a perfectly reasonable direction.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

angerbeet posted:

I'd use lard but some might use Spry, or Crisco etc. It's a perfectly reasonable direction.

The most egregious thing about those recipes is they don't bullet point/number the instructions rather than putting them all into a paragraph. That seems like such an obvious thing in all modern recipes that it's just weird that no one thought of it at the time.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I foolishly thought the spaghetti and meatballs recipe was going to be a recipe for spaghetti and meatballs.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

rodbeard posted:

I foolishly thought the spaghetti and meatballs recipe was going to be a recipe for spaghetti and meatballs.

"season ground chuck and shape in to balls"?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

boar guy posted:

"season ground chuck and shape in to balls"?

The dried spaghetti is used as bread crumbs in the meatballs rather than cooked and used as a medium for the meatballs. It's not a pasta dish.

e: Actually on a second reading it just seems ambiguous. Wow, recipes really have gotten clearer in the past half century, even if they're now prefaced with an essay about how spaghetti made the author feel about their childhood.

AreWeDrunkYet has a new favorite as of 06:25 on Mar 7, 2021

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

no, place the shaped meatballs on top of the pasta-tomato-spices mixture and then heat

the pasta is being cooked in its sauce for 45 minutes tho which is not how we would typically do it today

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

It’s steamed hams on super overcooked pasta in “sauce”

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
These recipes are highly detailed compared to the pre 20th century cookbooks which are written second hand in paragraph form assuming you know full well what paste is.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
archive has hundreds of "community" cookbooks, particularly church ones, with recipes from anybody that wants to contribute. just look up a word like "baptist" or whatever. i love these things

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
a handful of other "Receipts" from a 1916 providence rhode island cookbook

heres an easy to follow receipt,

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

AN ODD SALAD is a good username.

1 drop onion juice? poo poo, don’t go overboard

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Data Graham posted:

Preferable to the other one drop rule I know of.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Data Graham posted:

I got a gallon of onion juice for some reason. It's taken me years and years of making FILLING FOR SANDWICHES (à la Kate Harkness) to even get partway through it

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Auntie Jackson doesn't trust vinegar

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

How the hell do you measure 1.5 cups of uncooked spaghetti?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The hell is a can of French Fried Noodles?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

Very imperially

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Tiggum posted:

A blender

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Bit late for the real meat/fake meat chat but my favorite example is Bacos. People expect them to taste and function like bacon and end up hating them, when if you just accept them as their own thing with their own flavor and texture profile and use them differently than actual bacon bits they're great. They also work great mixed with actual bacon bits.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I've been making dishes with 1 part meat 3 parts TVP lately and it works great; other than a slight textural difference you can't really tell its not ground meat (at least, when in a sauce). I'm pretty sure you really only need the animal fat to pull off the effect, but I haven't acquired any straight fat yet. Not actually vegetarian, but still better than going all meat. And better for you than sweet, sweet fried tofu.

Black bean burgers are basically a falafel variant, and falafel is amazing.

TVP works so well as a meat 'extender' that its listed before the meat in any kind of cheap canned soup/chili whatever that has some real meat in it.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Sekhmnet posted:

TVP works so well as a meat 'extender' that its listed before the meat in any kind of cheap canned soup/chili whatever that has some real meat in it.

It’s also the main ingredient used in lots of expensive meat substitutes. I tried one of those cans of be’f soup a while back, and it was thin watery garbage with a few pathetic chunks of fake meat. I check the ingredients label, and the TVP was listed under the 2% or less of the following section. And yet, a can of that stuff still costs more than progresso or Campbell’s chunky

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

This just ooks like a perfectly normal focaccia bun, perhaps a bit janky in execution, but I'd bite into that happily.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've cooked TVP as taco meat and with the other stuff in the taco it was perfectly fine and I honestly couldn't tell the difference

It wasn't the very best taco I ever had probably but it was perfectly good

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The General posted:

The hell is a can of French Fried Noodles?

My best guess is this.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

LadyPictureShow posted:

My best guess is this.

I eat those using a spoon full of peanut butter or store brand nutella like a chimpanzee eating termites with a stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The most egregious thing about those recipes is they don't bullet point/number the instructions rather than putting them all into a paragraph. That seems like such an obvious thing in all modern recipes that it's just weird that no one thought of it at the time.

This makes sense for recipes on recipe cards, where you could run out of room. I wonder if you compared other instructional texts of the time period, were they also in paragraph form more often than not? When did the step-by-step bulletted/numbered direction style become the rightful king?

I do wonder if it's as others have pointed out ("paste") that some of it has to do with the expectation that you were only looking at a recipe book for either general ideas or ingredient lists (which sometimes don't even have amounts listed). The idea being that anyone using a cookbook grew up pretty well entrenched in cooking basics, so step-by-step instructions would be at best unnecessary and at worst insulting to the user. Like I think the modern equivalent would be if you googled how to do something on the computer and the results began with 1. Turn on your computer and wait for it to boot up. 2. Enter the user password if prompted to do so. 3. Place your hand on the mouse or touchpad and move the cursor to the icon named...

Also, when did the "receipts"/"recipes" etymology lines converge or diverge? My parents have a huge binder which in one of their handwritings reads "Receipts" and for the longest time as a kid I thought they were just being really thorough at documenting their purchases. The binder was started in the 80s or 90s. I'm also wondering about the pronunciation of "receipts," is "recipes" just a simplified form you're meant to pronounce as "re-seeps", and then it got blundered back the other way to sound fancier/more proper by pronouncing the final e?