Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

cush core afaik

https://www.cushcore.com/gravel-cx/

I've never used foam inserts, but the idea seems sound for constant thorns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

cush core afaik

https://www.cushcore.com/gravel-cx/

I've never used foam inserts, but the idea seems sound for constant thorns.

You're kinda right? A cushcore system is implicitly is tubeless, which, yes, fixes the thorns.
The foam insert doesn't really do much for that, but is good for letting you avoid pinchflats when running really low pressure.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Tannus do airless tyres too. No idea if they're any good or not.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

meltie posted:

My praxis BB is a little princess that pooes itself frequently. I've been through three.

I had one on a CAAD9 for thousands of miles with no trouble. 🤷‍♂️

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bicievino posted:

Personally I wouldn't look anywhere further than the HED Jet line for rim brake carbon wheels, because loving with a carbon brake track sucks. There's barely a weight penalty and the build quality is good.

:hmmyes:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

vikingstrike posted:

I had one on a CAAD9 for thousands of miles with no trouble. 🤷‍♂️

glad to hear it, because I really like the chainset!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

bicievino posted:

Personally I wouldn't look anywhere further than the HED Jet line for rim brake carbon wheels, because loving with a carbon brake track sucks. There's barely a weight penalty and the build quality is good.

This is exactly the same type of setup as my previous FFWD wheels and they're firmly at the top of the pile.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

bicievino posted:

You're kinda right? A cushcore system is implicitly is tubeless, which, yes, fixes the thorns.
The foam insert doesn't really do much for that, but is good for letting you avoid pinchflats when running really low pressure.

Does the foam insert not absorb all the tubeless goo?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

No firsthand experience, but no, not really. It's not an absorbant foam like a sponge, and while you're actively riding centripetal force will slosh it all to the tire.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Nope.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

bicievino posted:

Those look perfect for the retro-mod I swear I'll get around to building eventually. Didn't know they existed. Love the aesthetics of the black brake track of the Jet Blacks. Can you run them tubeless with the carbon fairing? I'd be afraid of crushing it when tightening down on the valve nut.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

bicievino posted:

No firsthand experience, but no, not really. It's not an absorbant foam like a sponge, and while you're actively riding centripetal force will slosh it all to the tire.

:monocle:

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Longest solo ride yet today! The weather here's been great so I'm trying to soak it in before we inevitably hit hell season shortly.

Do you guys take any kind of supplements to help with recovery at all? I used to do BCAAs when I was lifting a bunch pre-covid but idk if there's anything bike specific I should be looking at.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Objurium posted:

Longest solo ride yet today! The weather here's been great so I'm trying to soak it in before we inevitably hit hell season shortly.

Do you guys take any kind of supplements to help with recovery at all? I used to do BCAAs when I was lifting a bunch pre-covid but idk if there's anything bike specific I should be looking at.

I supplement with carbs, protein, and sugar. The most readily metabolized format for this is a carnitas burrito and a mexican coke.
hth

edit: p.s. I like your purple biek quite a bit

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Objurium posted:

BCAAs anecdotally helped a friend and I after running a trail marathon so i'd assume they're good post-biek too. Or perhaps it was the wine 🤷‍♀️

Nice purple!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

bicievino posted:

I supplement with carbs, protein, and sugar. The most readily metabolized format for this is a carnitas burrito and a mexican coke.
hth

edit: p.s. I like your purple biek quite a bit

I've also heard good things about pizza and beer

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Levitate posted:

what advantages do spd sandals offer

The last time I cycled with normal shoes was the Kitchen Creek 200km brevet (San Diego East County) a few years ago. After 90 miles of some fun climbs in the heat, my feet swelled and I couldn't feel them.

The remaining 35 miles would have been cake, but I literally couldn't deal with it.

So SPD Sandals ever since.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
So I wanna buy a beginner road bike. Not sure what details to give y'all but:
Budget: ~$1000 (including accessories like shoes etc)
Height: 6'4"

I'm in area where cycling isn't much of a thing so there aren't many bike lanes. Maybe a gravel bike would be better, I dunno.

In the next few days I'm going to visit some shops to get educated. What questions should I ask and what should I look for and be wary of?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Do you know if shops down there have inventory on the floor?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah most of them do I think

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

e.pilot posted:

tubeless

I don't know enough to know if there is truth to this, but the mechanic at one of the bike shops here generally recommends against tubeless because he says you trade off the convenience of fewer flats overall for the risk of a catastrophic failure where the tire blows out and people can lose control and end up in a bad accident if it happens at speed.

Do yall have feedback on that, is there something to what he's saying? If there is, I may convert my tubeless set up back to tubes since my prime goal in cycling is to make it home.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Anything that causes a catastrophic failure of a tubeless tire is going to do the same or worse to a tubed tire.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Sab0921 posted:

I don't know enough to know if there is truth to this, but the mechanic at one of the bike shops here generally recommends against tubeless because he says you trade off the convenience of fewer flats overall for the risk of a catastrophic failure where the tire blows out and people can lose control and end up in a bad accident if it happens at speed.

Do yall have feedback on that, is there something to what he's saying? If there is, I may convert my tubeless set up back to tubes since my prime goal in cycling is to make it home.

Mountain bikes have been mostly tubeless for a decade and this simply isn't true. As Guinness says, anything which can instantly deflate a tubeless tyre can do the same to a tube.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

isaboo posted:

I'm in area where cycling isn't much of a thing so there aren't many bike lanes. Maybe a gravel bike would be better, I dunno.

In the next few days I'm going to visit some shops to get educated. What questions should I ask and what should I look for and be wary of?

Where are you in Georgia? Depending on the area there might be a bigger scene than you know.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

isaboo posted:

You're super tall, so make sure you get a bike that fits properly.

If available to you, ride a bunch of them to figure out which one you like best. The best advice I got from this thread was choose a bike that makes you want to ride it.

Figure out what your cycling case is - on road, off-road/gravel/multi use paths and go from there.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Guinness posted:

Anything that causes a catastrophic failure of a tubeless tire is going to do the same or worse to a tubed tire.

This. The times where I've flatted with road tubeless were also when I got, like, 2mm long sidewall cuts. There's absolutely no solution that will survive that.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Blacknose posted:

Mountain bikes have been mostly tubeless for a decade and this simply isn't true. As Guinness says, anything which can instantly deflate a tubeless tyre can do the same to a tube.

Mountain bikes run a lot lower pressures but still yeah a blowout is a blowout tubes or no

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sab0921 posted:

Find a different bike mechanic.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

OK, so I'm looking into tubeless...ness... and it looks like the rims and tires I have are already tubeless compatible, I just need the rim tape, sealant and injector, and valves, right? I took a closer look at the tires tonight, the punctures were very small with very small, fine thorns that had just barely pushed through the rubber and into the tube. I do like the handling on these tires, as far as I've been able to test them..

For you tubeless veterans out there, would you recommend getting tires with better puncture protection or would making the current tires tubeless make the tiny thorn punctures a relative non-issue? Any recommendation for brands/materials/kits for going tubeless for the first time?

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
That's right. The thread's favorite tubeless rim tape is this. We also love Orange Seal and you can get injectors with their bottles. No consensus on valve kits AFAIK.

And nah, you don't need better puncture protection. These thorns won't be an issue with tubeless anymore. The thorns would have to be huge gently caress-off things.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

rngd in the womb posted:

That's right. The thread's favorite tubeless rim tape is this. We also love Orange Seal and you can get injectors with their bottles. No consensus on valve kits AFAIK.

And nah, you don't need better puncture protection. These thorns won't be an issue with tubeless anymore. The thorns would have to be huge gently caress-off things.

valves are pretty much valves, prestas aren’t a very complicated thing

you’d be surprised how giant of a gently caress off goathead tubeless will brush off

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Off road it's a must imo. Going to bigger, tubeless tires on my cx bike last year completely changed where i feel comfortable riding it. Like doing big stupid rides on rough roads in the mountains where before it was like "uh I better bring 3 tubes and a patch kit. or maybe I need my mountain bike." Of course ,that still didn't stop me from going on this one ride mostly unprepared and having to walk a couple miles in the dark last year because I got two flats but only had one tube and one co2 and no pump

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 8, 2021

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Sab0921 posted:

I wanted to add/qualify some of the glib answers and mention that there *is* some risk with road tubeless. It's not as mature as mtb applications, and the higher pressure does make it more finicky than gravel.
Things that are considered risky are: setting non-tubeless rims up tubeless, running narrow (<28mm) tires on hookless rims, and running tires at high pressure (above 80 or so?).
There are certain combinations of tires/rims that don't go. If you're running high pressure it's worth checking if your rim manufacturer offers any guidance on the subject.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What's the deal with hookless rims? I was looking at tires earlier and they don't tend to mention if they're compatible. Is it just assumed a wide tire is compatible?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Salt Fish posted:

What's the deal with hookless rims? I was looking at tires earlier and they don't tend to mention if they're compatible. Is it just assumed a wide tire is compatible?

Hookless rims are stronger and simpler to manufacture than hooked rims. They make a ton of sense for situations where you might be bottoming out the tire on a rock or something. Pretty much just off-road considerations.
They rely on a tighter tolerance between rim and tire bead, and when pressures are higher, that rim/bead interface can be an issue if you've got a looser tire on a smaller rim. If you're thinking "this should be standardized" - yes, it should, and theoretically they're working on it, but it's still not official yet after years of "soon".

I've never seen tires specify compatibility, only rims. Dunno why.

I wouldn't lose any sleep about any of this for pressures under like, 50.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
how bad are half frame bags on aero? kinda wanna get one

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

probably not at all but i don't have a wind tunnel handy

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

I would be shocked if you could feel the difference. I'm sure it's measurable, but significant? Meh. Better than a burrito bag for sure.

I will mention that I kinda dislike mine because my legs rub on it. I only put it on when I'm really gonna need the storage.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

jan heine (bicycle quarterly) says burrito bags/rando bags probably increase aero and I have a burrito bag so I believe him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Now that its spring again i continue my futile attempt to sell my motorcycle in order to buy a bicycle.