Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

thrashingteeth posted:

Wow is this my first time online, sorry I'm hungover and accidentally went for quote post instead of edit.

I'll be leaving now in utter shame.

No no, you did a good post.

FWIW I add my name to the people asking politely for Vitamin Pissflaps to be threadbanned - his high-impact posting has made the thread completely unreadable and afaict he's never had a single useful contribution to make. (Neither have I, but I am pure of heart)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
You'll notice when pressed about GIC's Vitamin P goes silent.

Now who's right here, the majority of Britain tran's peoples experiences with the GIC as an insitution or Vitamin P

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
They're probably spellchecking their next incoherent rant before posting

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Ash Crimson posted:

You'll notice when pressed about GIC's Vitamin P goes silent.

Now who's right here, the majority of Britain tran's peoples experiences with the GIC as an insitution or Vitamin P

It sure is weird that he seems to be more invested in policing when a trans person is allowed to be snippy with a cis person when discussing the godawful traumatic healthcare system, rather than engaging with the actual discussion of said healthcare system!

Actually maybe we can make this a Teaching Moment in Effects Of Societal Prejudice 101: When you find yourself getting more angry and concerned that a person in some opressed group might be being impolite or improper in calling out the prejudice that effects them, than you are about the actual hurt being done to them and the wider group of people - you might have something to examine about yourself! I can assure you when this happens with trans stuff - e.g. if a person claims to care about trans people but their twitter feed is mostly getting mad about use of the word Terf - every trans person in a 10 mile radius can see exactly what their deal is. Even if they can't and genuinely believe they can't possibly be prejudiced because they're a Good Person.

I'm sure the guy who unironically uses "woke" as an insult just has reasonable concerns due to his highly knowledgeable views on trans healthcare and will be along to set these out. Or he will just like, stop posting. No more with the posting. Also a good option.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Labour shadow ministers unable to say they support strike action sure makes me proud to have left the Labour Party.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

forkboy84 posted:

Labour shadow ministers unable to say they support strike action sure makes me proud to have left the Labour Party.

agreed, op

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

same. honestly, i have a mate who's a labour councillor - genuine good lefty - but i am of two minds if i'll be able to swallow my pride and vote for labour in may.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I mean its just back to Miliband, remember 'these strikes are wrong at a time when negotiations are going on' ?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

feedmegin posted:

I mean its just back to Miliband, remember 'these strikes are wrong at a time when negotiations are going on' ?

Yes, & I was pretty proud not to be a Labour member back then. Hell, I'd never voted for Labour before Corbyn was leader.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, & I was pretty proud not to be a Labour member back then. Hell, I'd never voted for Labour before Corbyn was leader.

Same. I did vote Lib Dem from 2005-2010, never again :smith:

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Lungboy posted:

Non-medical circumcision is some nasty poo poo, very little difference to FGM

I'm not condoning it but I would implore you to read Cut by Hibo Wardere and re-evaluate this statement.

TRIXNET fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 7, 2021

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Saturday night in the ukmt.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Also is it me, or is Labour's position of nobly arguing that in fact nurses should have a whopping 2.1% pay rise just weak as gently caress. Like, as a negotiating tactic, an extra 1.1% starting point is just pathetic.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jippa posted:

Saturday night in the ukmt.

Couple of small tweaks for authenticity

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

SpicePro posted:

I'm not condoning it but I would implore you to read Cut by Hibo Wardere and re-evaluate this statement.

Yeah I worded that badly. FGM is clearly far worse in what is done and the reasons for it. I was referring purely to the act of removing part of the genitals of a child who can't consent for non-medical reasons.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
You know I kinda have to thank vitamin p, venting about his poo poo to a friend turned into much more, we probably would have gone down this road eventually, the mutual attraction was obvious, he was the catalyst for it happening last night.

(Non-physically no need to report me to GPhC)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Congrats on doing over-the-clothes stuff with your mate

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So today is Sunday. Wasn't the Mail on Sunday supposed to print a front page apology on their website and their newspaper to Meghan Merkle?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Was the NHS payrise under inflation aka a pay cut

Also add me to the people who have no idea what Vit P is arguing about.
I wouldn't vote to threadban though since imo they arent in the same league as the greats

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Communist Thoughts posted:

I wouldn't vote to threadban though since imo they arent in the same league as the greats

I mean he hasn't harrassed me on DMs yet like pissflaps did but honestly incoherently attacking people while ignoring everyone else deserves a thread ban

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ms Adequate posted:

hate to post about posters but come on guys are we really going to have to be sitting here in 2025 going "Actually yeah banning Vitamin P last week was a great idea we should have done it years ago" like another bloody Pissflaps?

I'm one if those people who defended pissflaps (not a great move in retrospect) and even I won't defend vit pee

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
On the other hand his transphobia is keeping his Islamophobia in check so there's that (+1 for thread ban)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Rumda posted:

I mean he hasn't harrassed me on DMs yet like pissflaps did but honestly incoherently attacking people while ignoring everyone else deserves a thread ban

Maybe but I'm worried we'd probably have to threadban people quite regularly if those were the rules

That's just having an Internet strop

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Otoh I both appreciate and don't wanna get caught up in the threads bloodlust so I'm not gonna protest too hard

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i think over the past several years nhs workers have had a 10% or so pay cut when accounting for inflation, claps have beaten inflation however so it might balance out

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Otoh I both appreciate and don't wanna get caught up in the threads bloodlust so I'm not gonna protest too hard

He's getting incredibly abusive over the word 'if', which doesn't even change the context of the relevant post other than making it slightly grammatically clunky. If nothing else he needs a long-rear end timeout.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Maybe but I'm worried we'd probably have to threadban people quite regularly if those were the rules

That's just having an Internet strop

Its not like he doesn't have form.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The whole "Mumford goes fash" has been mildly interesting, but this tweet made it worthwhile

https://twitter.com/sleafordmods/status/1368495170333851654?s=19

Would love to tell someone to "step outside of ya bloodline" sometime

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

threadban Vitamin P for sure

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

nothing else he needs a long-rear end timeout.
What the hell are you talking about, this isn't even a sentence

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The clap wars are unstoppable. This thing has gone beyond our control and will consume us all.

https://twitter.com/mattwridley/status/1368502203607113734?s=20

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The Venn diagram of people demanding claps and people who use the story of people refusing to be the first to stop clapping after a Stalin speech is a circle

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i think of all the indignities and apocalyptic dystopia theming i've enjoyed this year, the first clap was the most profoundly alienating and frightening (i was working in the NHS at the time). that was the moment i was sure i was in a film somehow, in the worst possible way.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

UKMT: 👏we👏should👏improve👏society👏somewhat👏

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jel Shaker posted:

i think over the past several years nhs workers have had a 10% or so pay cut when accounting for inflation, claps have beaten inflation however so it might balance out

The only reason the NHS hasn't haemorrhaged even more clinical staff is that by and large most will receive an automatic pay progression semi-regularly. So everyone gets a reasonably significant pay rise each year but each individual pay point is worth less year by year due go inflation.

IIRC for nurses it tops out at 9 years so after that you start feeling the below inflation pay rises.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Clap for the generational parasites.

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020
Now that we're at the stage of vaccinating under 60's, is there a moral argument to be made for starting vaccination from 18 and working our way up?
If I get long covid at 30ish, I am (and my cohort are more likely to be) in stable jobs and have a history of income, work, education behind me that means I can adapt more readily to a disability, and that's only increasing above that age towards 60. If a teenager gets it, they're possibly hosed for life, they've not even got the chance to get near that career to be able to adapt or will struggle in education.
Economically, my purchases are houses and higher-end goods, supporting 1-3 people at a time. 18-20s are doing conspicuous consumption from multiple shops, supporting lots more jobs and industries.
To a degree, morally; at the older ages one has had the chance to go on a gap year, go on a holiday, do all those daft clubbing and house parties and one-off weird nights that become incredibly formative and are settled down (and also have more stuff in the house to entertain oneself with), those kids are completely missing that from life.
And from a safety point of view, how many are living in incredibly rubbish home situations they need to move out of, that now can't due to no jobs, and flats going through the roof? I guarantee the second we start hitting the 40 year-olds it's going to be back to work and normal life unless unvaccinated, so good luck getting any of the typical zero-hours jobs (not that one should cheer for that, but even that's blocked).

While it's to save the NHS as one is more likely to be hospitalised the older one is, surely at the 18-60ish cohort with no clinical vulnerabilities the difference is small enough to start thinking about QOLYs and long-term impacts, particularly given the next academic year is so close round the corner.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Isomermaid posted:

On the other hand his transphobia is keeping his Islamophobia in check so there's that (+1 for thread ban)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Borrovan posted:

What the hell are you talking about, this isn't even a sentence

It was all worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Nutapii posted:

Now that we're at the stage of vaccinating under 60's, is there a moral argument to be made for starting vaccination from 18 and working our way up?
While it's to save the NHS as one is more likely to be hospitalised the older one is, surely at the 18-60ish cohort with no clinical vulnerabilities the difference is small enough to start thinking about QOLYs and long-term impacts, particularly given the next academic year is so close round the corner.

The lack of data on long covid means nobody in power really wants to or has to touch the topic. Deaths by age group are really easy to measure, so we're working towards the conclusion that data suggests.
I've heard anecdotes from medic friends of young and healthy people ending up with life changing complications, but we won't have any data for a long while on the number of young people that are going to have a "this scar tissue is where your alveoli used to be" conversation in a decade.
This is the best I can find,. It's alarming
https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1363473889951637504

We've already seen a few attempts to tweak vaccination priorities seen off- the police were a recent example. I'd expect the government to stick to their guns on this. Partly because minimising death is very good moral high ground, and partly because once you let people push for other priorities it's only a matter of time before wealth becomes the measure of priority.