Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Razakai posted:

According to the mod Discord there's a 1.3 patch coming at some point soon-ish. No details beyond it breaking more mods.

Ah good, I can't wait to have my save broken again. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Katt posted:

No one else was going for it.

Where on this screen do I restrict mortars again?

Hrmm CE or another mod that both you and I have seem to remove the Shells tab that is normally on the Mortar. My apologies.

No clue whats up then. Are the shells 81mm and not 83mm? I've done that before though I believe thats another addition from a mod.

Could always just forbid rounds you don't want used as well, though that is non ideal.

Edit: Just did some tests, CE does remove the shell tab.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 5, 2021

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

It's the right shells.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Katt posted:

It's the right shells.

Then no idea other than pathing weirdness.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

My pawns won’t put on parkas despite developing hypothermia. I have no idea why - they’re not restricting from wearing anything. The only new mods I turned on are common sense and best mix, but they shouldn’t interact with wearing outfits. Basically, why is clothing such a pain.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are they wearing something else in the outer torso slot?

I honestly didn't know that they would put on clothes by themselves to adjust to temperature.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Might have to change their outfit, draft them and then undraft them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I have had issues with pawns and outfits when it comes to temperature control in the past - I think what happens is that when they're already wearing something, they won't replace it unless the thing they're replacing it with is significantly more attractive to them - warm clothing in cold weather is an attraction value, but if they're wearing something made out of a particularly expensive material, for example, they might end up still feeling like it's "better", because the situational factors aren't enough to overcome the base value. So ultimately if they refuse to wear warm clothing and keep getting hypothermia, all you can really do is just manually force them to do it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Are they wearing something else in the outer torso slot?

I honestly didn't know that they would put on clothes by themselves to adjust to temperature.

The vanilla apparel optimizer does account for temperature, but it's often not noticeable. Usually the most important aspect is protection, literally the sum of Sharp, Blunt, and Heat damage protection, and then if the pawn senses that they're in dangerous need of a change in insulation then a multiplier is applied to the insulating apparel's score.

If a pawn is getting hypothermia while there's a perfectly good parka sitting there odds are that the pawn is more worried about getting stabbed to death than losing fingers and toes to frostbite

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Curse these absolutely fabulous dusters everyone already has, then

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
Also any forced clothing will prevent pawns from ever changing unless you force another item or clear the restriction in the assignments tab.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have a ground-penetrating scanner, and every time I try to force my researcher to do it he leaves to do something else. Is the scanner a different work task than researching? Do I need to make a zone and stick him in one place?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have a ground-penetrating scanner, and every time I try to force my researcher to do it he leaves to do something else. Is the scanner a different work task than researching? Do I need to make a zone and stick him in one place?

it's Intellectual and you do basically need to zone him to keep him on task. i loving hate scanning because of this semantic.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DoubleNegative posted:

Ah good, I can't wait to have my save broken again. :negative:

I just had a satisfying conclusion to a pretty long and successful base that marked my second-ever escape via building a ship, so I have happily put RimWorld aside for now. I am uniquely lucky in this regard because usually I, like everyone else, get turbofucked by updates :v:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

"Put Rimworld aside"? What are those incomprehensible words?

This is my base. I've got a hospital, enough bedrooms, one Knight and the stuff needed to keep him happy, tons of food, hydroponics, granite spike traps which (so far) have kept the mechanoids out. I have the favor that lets me call in an airstrike, and I've researched turrets and mortars.

What do I need to keep these people safe? The outer wall is two layers of granite, but that won't stop sappers. In general, I'd like to toughen this up against, not only attacks from without, but drop pods (already happened) and bug infestations, which I fear are just around the corner.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

A better killbox and fallback points.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You only need a single killbox/entrance, raiders will path an absurdly long path before even considering beating down a wall (unless Sappers are coming). They'll ignore closed doors, too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Shadowlz posted:

A better killbox and fallback points.

Could you explain fallback points?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If one position is overrun, you have another position to back up to, hopefully behind another killbox/traps/whatever, so that you don't have them blow up all your poo poo or you lose cover advantage

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Matryoshka killboxes.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Manhunter pack of 57 cassowaries? Uh, I think I'll just reload the last autosave.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Moon Slayer posted:

Manhunter pack of 57 cassowaries? Uh, I think I'll just reload the last autosave.

https://youtu.be/aCbfMkh940Q

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

jokes posted:

If one position is overrun, you have another position to back up to, hopefully behind another killbox/traps/whatever, so that you don't have them blow up all your poo poo or you lose cover advantage

This. Honestly for you base I would add more walls further out and create the main killbox in that. Then just tweak you current setup to be the fallback point.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Double post somehow.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Here’s my question. How much pathing is too much? Where the raiders will say screw this, get the dynamite.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

More like Beelzebulbs for how much these little fuckers like to sentence my pawns to burn for eternity.

On the other hand early game they're great for disposing of corpses because you just throw one blazebulb seed next to the corpse pile and it bursts into flame like phosphor.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
On the attack they'll basically walk the entire map to get to you as long as they can draw an uninterrupted line to your pawns, so try to setup your defensives so they can walk directly to your pawns but have to walk through hell to do so.

You've also got to be careful when they retreat. If they think there's a shorter path off map than walking out they way they came they can and will walk through your base, smashing doors as they go, to do so.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Oh dear

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
think of the upsides, your base wealth took a significant nosedive so easier raids!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Frida Call Me posted:

think of the upsides, your base wealth took a significant nosedive so easier raids!

True, true.

It also saved me the work of having to cremate Mandy afterwards. Silver lining.

https://i.imgur.com/hUW6kPZ.mp4

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

If anyone wonders about the weird pseudo military naming convention. I give pawns prefixes based on their roles. So when I send them on a caravan I can sort them by name and so roles.

Kitty dropped in just now. I still haven't decided what to do with her.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I always beeline to firefoam poppers for that exact reason.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Carcer posted:

I always beeline to firefoam poppers for that exact reason.

I had them. Just on the outside of the bunker I kept all the artillery shells and napalm in. Lesson learned.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Does anyone have suggestions on how to keep colony wealth from skyrocketing?

Even on tribal, by the time i get a simple barracks, stockroom, kitchen, and common room build, a few plants ... planted... and basic berries and such harvested my wealth has gone from 18k to 50k and by the time my first harvest has come and I have a raid or two under my belt im much closer to 90k and then people start showing up with big guns, and I just want to sit here and grow crops and milk my muffalo in peace :(

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

LordAdakos posted:

Even on tribal, by the time i get a simple barracks, stockroom, kitchen, and common room build, a few plants ... planted... and basic berries and such harvested my wealth has gone from 18k to 50k and by the time my first harvest has come and I have a raid or two under my belt im much closer to 90k and then people start showing up with big guns, and I just want to sit here and grow crops and milk my muffalo in peace :(

One thing is to store metal ores in their unmined form and only mine them as you need it. So you keep maybe 100 iron and 10 components on hand.

You also store dead animals unbutchered and then only butcher them as you need the meat. Also make sure to melt and burn all unused clothes, weapons and armor.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I've always found wealth min-maxing tedious, so now I just use this : Combat Readiness Check

It makes wealth calculations only take into account stuff directly related to combat, like guns, armor, pawns and buildings. It has a lot of settings and presets to tweak the difficulty to your liking too.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

LordAdakos posted:

Turn that money into bribes to increase faction relationship by either sending drop pods or caravans (or visiting caravans if the faction is already neutral) and gifting them excess wealth until they are allied with you. Then when a raid comes in, you can call in reinforcements at the comms console for a -25 relations hit which you can then spend more excess money to increase. It's basically trading wealth for security.

Another use for wealth is to trade your excess silver into gold. You can then trade it to the imperial royal tribute collectors for imperial favor (also a good way to get rid of prisoners or colonists you don't want). Of course this will still increase your colony's wealth due to the corresponding bedroom/throne room requirements as your nobles rank up, but the lower rank requirements are fairly modest and let you gain at least a few useful powers and permits before you have to worry about covering everything in fine carpets and gold thrones.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Use Community Builder difficulty if you literally just want to build, you can raise difficulty any time you like at your leisure. Be sure to put practical advances over decorative ones. You should research gunsmithing and have your colonists armed before you engage in a huge map wide mountain smoothing for your intended late game full base space, for example. Research will do almost nothing to increase wealth aside from the gain in Intellectual raising the value of the colonist and you'll be able to take on more difficult raids with full LMGs/Miniguns/Chain Shotguns. If you end up with loads of misc junk you can caravan and gift or trading pod it to your neighbors. Building good will is a valuable resource that lowers your wealth at the same time.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Rimworld played optimally looks like hot garbage with wealth min maxing and killbox corridors that make the game look downright broken to exploit the AI to the max.

Personally I build what I want and then increase the difficulty to keep it at the edge of manageable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
True freedom is seeing a raid, popping on dev mode, pressing /, then clicking 5000 damage on all my new arrivals. If I don't wanna do corpse disposal I just click on the dead body. Then I have another 15 minutes to lay down my decorative path in my open air hospitality village.