Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

Did you want feathers so you could melt them down into Volatus essentia?

That's the situation. I don't need a ton of them, but I think I only get 2 volatus per feather and I'm probably going to need 2-3 jars. So upwards of a stack of feathers. The drop rate just hasn't been too good, but I'll see what the cleaver gives me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
You could set up a few Pam's Harvestcraft ground traps, they give feathers along with various types of meat.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think my favorite old modpack was probably Regrowth. I played a ton of it some years back, and it's too bad it's still stuck on such an old version of Minecraft because it really was an interesting time. I got super into it. Never really found another quest-based modpack that hit me the same way regrowth did.

Actually, I may as well ask for recommendations in that vein. I can't really play minecraft any longer without having some kind of objective beyond vanilla's mechanics or playing in multiplayer. Ideally I'm looking for a modpack that has an in-game quest book with rewards, but also limits progression so that you must actually use the quest book. I'm sure there's a million skyblock quest book modpacks around that fulfill this criteria but that's why I'm asking here. Maybe someone knows a good one.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

gregtech new horizons :unsmigghh:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Do you mean particularly that progress is specifically blocked on various quest rewards?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well, like, Regrowth didn't technically block you through quest rewards, but it was structured in such a way that following the quests also progressed you along the modified tech paths the pack had put together. Basically, I'm looking for something where my progression loosely mirrors a quest book because it just helps me set short and long-term goals and stay focused on them. Agrarian Skies was another example of this from what I remember.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Enigmatica 2 Expert vaguely does that. I recommend the Skyblock version.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Hooplah posted:

gregtech new horizons :unsmigghh:

I am still playing this, for some reason. I'm in IV. Got a tier 3 blood orb too.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

FPzero posted:

Well, like, Regrowth didn't technically block you through quest rewards, but it was structured in such a way that following the quests also progressed you along the modified tech paths the pack had put together. Basically, I'm looking for something where my progression loosely mirrors a quest book because it just helps me set short and long-term goals and stay focused on them. Agrarian Skies was another example of this from what I remember.

If you want to punch yourself in the dick in skyblock form then Project Ozone 3 set to 'Kappa' mode will keep you going for a long rear end time with a quest book that keeps you on a decent path.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

If you like quest based packs but don't enjoy punching yourself in the dick, I've been having fun playing Compact Claustrophobia recently. It starts you off in the smallest compact machine (3x3) and you have to build your way up from there, mostly by finding different things to hit the walls with for resources. It feels a little bit like the reverse of a skyblock pack - getting resources is fairly easy, but figuring out how to use them in the space you have can be a challenge. Important tip - automate charcoal production as soon as possible (I think you require a 7x7). You'll need an absolute ton of it.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also, play Blightfall.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

FPzero posted:

Gregtech New Horizons is the best example of this that I've seen. You almost have to follow the quest book or you'll be lost and confused.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's really funny to see people unironically suggesting a gregtech pack these days because back when technic pack was getting started, it was the butt of jokes here. The million intermediate steps to lengthen IC2's already somewhat complex recipes especially.

I can't help but think of those days when I see you all mentioning it, heh. I have a bunch of stories from early minecraft modding days since I was there, helping test the pack in prerelease.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

FPzero posted:

It's really funny to see people unironically suggesting a gregtech pack these days because back when technic pack was getting started, it was the butt of jokes here. The million intermediate steps to lengthen IC2's already somewhat complex recipes especially.
Yeah I think it's some kind of stages of grief thing.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I remember reading in this thread that he balanced his mod to make sure he was always ahead of everyone else on his server

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

GTNH uses an unofficial open source clone of the original gregtech, so the weirdo who made the original mod has no say

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Wolfsbane posted:

Compact Claustrophobia

Started this up and really enjoying the meta cube experience.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I feel like GTNH may take over a year to complete, if you know what you're doing. And you leave it running or use a server.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well, I tried out GTNH yesterday and it seems interesting so far. However, I kept getting huge lag spikes while playing, some so bad they actually crashed minecraft without crashing the game, causing all entities to stop moving and for the game to crash when trying to exit. Today, I tried booting it up and opening my world, and the game just never loads the world, instead just kicking me out to the main menu again. Maybe this pack was just never meant to be for me. Maybe it's the ghosts of technic pack past trying to stop me from playing a gregtech focused pack.

Any thoughts?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

Well, I tried out GTNH yesterday and it seems interesting so far. However, I kept getting huge lag spikes while playing, some so bad they actually crashed minecraft without crashing the game, causing all entities to stop moving and for the game to crash when trying to exit. Today, I tried booting it up and opening my world, and the game just never loads the world, instead just kicking me out to the main menu again. Maybe this pack was just never meant to be for me. Maybe it's the ghosts of technic pack past trying to stop me from playing a gregtech focused pack.

Any thoughts?

What version of the pack are you playing?

Exploration causes lots of lag, but that's the same with every other minecraft modpack.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

"2.1.0.0QF1-1.7.10"

The lagspikes don't seem exploration related because they happen the most at my dirt hovel, especially when doing item management. The actual crashes only happened twice yesterday but the large spikes happened a good 5 or 6 times.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is this the version of minecraft where mipmapping has to be turned off lest everything break

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I noticed I had way more Minecraft processes in task manager than I should've. I'm thinking some of them were from the crashes yesterday, and that's why the launcher suddenly told me I was still in a previous session just now. So I ended those and restarted the pack once more. Got to the main menu, got the world loading, then as soon as it looked like it would work the game crashed fully and cleanly, and the launcher gave me this error report:

code:
The game crashed whilst ticking memory connection
Error: java.lang.NullPointerException: Ticking memory connection
Exit Code: -1
I can try the mipmap thing mentioned above but if it doesn't make a difference I'm not really sure what to do.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

I noticed I had way more Minecraft processes in task manager than I should've. I'm thinking some of them were from the crashes yesterday, and that's why the launcher suddenly told me I was still in a previous session just now. So I ended those and restarted the pack once more. Got to the main menu, got the world loading, then as soon as it looked like it would work the game crashed fully and cleanly, and the launcher gave me this error report:

code:
The game crashed whilst ticking memory connection
Error: java.lang.NullPointerException: Ticking memory connection
Exit Code: -1
I can try the mipmap thing mentioned above but if it doesn't make a difference I'm not really sure what to do.

Post a full crash report to pastebin and link it. My guess is you aren't allocating enough memory to Minecraft.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

real basic question that you may already have thought of - how much RAM are you giving the pack?

e: beaten like an lv steam turbine trying to support a thermal centrifuge

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'll have to find where the error logs are located because I didn't click open full at the time. I have 8GB of RAM dedicated to it out of my 32GB available. It actually loaded the world properly this time so I think I'm going to take advantage of it while I can? But I'll look for the crash log as well.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

FPzero posted:

Any thoughts?

How much RAM did you give it? 4-6GB is enough, I wouldn't go lower or higher. I'm giving it 5GB.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

FPzero posted:

I think my favorite old modpack was probably Regrowth. I played a ton of it some years back, and it's too bad it's still stuck on such an old version of Minecraft because it really was an interesting time. I got super into it. Never really found another quest-based modpack that hit me the same way regrowth did.

Actually, I may as well ask for recommendations in that vein. I can't really play minecraft any longer without having some kind of objective beyond vanilla's mechanics or playing in multiplayer. Ideally I'm looking for a modpack that has an in-game quest book with rewards, but also limits progression so that you must actually use the quest book. I'm sure there's a million skyblock quest book modpacks around that fulfill this criteria but that's why I'm asking here. Maybe someone knows a good one.

Take a look at Heavens of Sorcery - its another pack by the guy who put together Regrowth. It has an extensive questbook, gated progression, and is a skyblock with one of the more enjoyable resource "grinds" I've come across (gigantic stack size for basic resources, early interesting automation options + novel resource generation.) I got quite a bit of enjoyment out of it.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/heavens-of-sorcery

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Bann posted:

Take a look at Heavens of Sorcery - its another pack by the guy who put together Regrowth. It has an extensive questbook, gated progression, and is a skyblock with one of the more enjoyable resource "grinds" I've come across (gigantic stack size for basic resources, early interesting automation options + novel resource generation.) I got quite a bit of enjoyment out of it.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/heavens-of-sorcery

Ooh, this sounds pretty neat! If GTNH doesn't stabilize for me, or if I need to take a break from it, I think I'll definitely give this a shot. I never really got into as many magic mods compared to tech mods, so this would be a really interesting time. Thanks!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Every modpack should have that stacksize mod, it's a godsend.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I got little hangups like that too while play GT:NH. Then my system SSD started failing. It's fine after replacing (and reinstalling Windows...).

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Also, play Blightfall.

I have a god drat blightfall server for like a year and I got like 10 people that joined, got bored, then left. I'm currently tempted to just nuke it and put in a different modpack like technic or tekkit or something. There's probably a million more modpacks on more recent versions or whatever with fancier mods I guess.

Blightfall is an amazing handmade modpack, but it's probably not one you would want to play by yourself because there is alot of grind and traveling involved.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 9, 2021

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Iunno about that. A group would make it simpler but it's a pack I preferred to play at my own pace. Also having it on a server has the downside of someone joining at some point after the beginning to see a half clean map and no reason to do anything.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The very end of blightfall where you have to actually cleanse using those movable totems is a grind and also buggy but I was able to solo the rest of it up until then and it was pretty enjoyable.

I'm liking that claustrophobia mod; there was something similar years ago but it wasn't done nearly as well.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I popped on a multiplayer goon Blightfall server a few years ago a few days after it started up. Everything had already been finished with a giant mashup of machines and connectors. I feel like if you want to run a Blightfall server that you'll just have to be ready to flatten it regularly.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Or put some players on the blighting team

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Eox posted:

Or put some players on the blighting team

Dynamite is the best blighting tool

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Quick update on my end, I turned Mipmap levels to 0 last night and since then I haven't had any problems with my GTNH install. Here's hoping it stays that way as I make my way out of the stone age!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
In my head, I have some notion of a team-based block game where the two sides have to blow up the other's MacGuffin or something and there's a mix of offence, defense, resource acquisition, and tech progression ending in a pile of Wile E Coyote machine shenanigans. Unfortunately, I expect it to mostly end in a lot of cheesy behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

In my head, I have some notion of a team-based block game where the two sides have to blow up the other's MacGuffin or something and there's a mix of offence, defense, resource acquisition, and tech progression ending in a pile of Wile E Coyote machine shenanigans. Unfortunately, I expect it to mostly end in a lot of cheesy behavior.

This was old goon server KeepCraft and I've always wanted to see something similar with mods. AM2 had some features to that end, and Mana & Artifice has three factions right out of the gate