Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I remember hearing "mischief night" on a lot of kids shows when I was a kid. It was like there was someone from those states who was a higher-up executive and they were trying to force the rest of the country to use their dumb word. Never heard it used in real life and it seems it didn't take off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Same except new jersey

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
I thought that New Jersey had caught on? I hear it used often enough.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The cool kids just call it "Jersey."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I just realized I have no loving clue where Old Jersey is
E: oh, it’s the less famous channel island

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I just realized I have no loving clue where Old Jersey is
E: oh, it’s the less famous channel island

Less famous? Compared to what it's the largest and most populated in the group.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

No one not currently located on Guernsey had ever heard of it. Even if you've lived there all your life as soon as you're far enough from shore it slips from your mind entirely.

That's why they don't pay any taxes.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

I grew up in the one corner of Connecticut that is shaded blue, and I have literally never heard of this tradition until I coincidentally came across this map just a little over a week ago.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

FreudianSlippers posted:

No one not currently located on Guernsey had ever heard of it. Even if you've lived there all your life as soon as you're far enough from shore it slips from your mind entirely.

A friend of mine was imprisoned on Alderney which might be the only thing that's happened on Alderney.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rumda posted:

Less famous? Compared to what it's the largest and most populated in the group.

Britain.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Idk, I just knew Guernsey existed but somehow missed Jersey.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sark is famous for abolishing feudalism in 2008.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah, cows and not paying taxes are the two things I think of when I think (old) Jersey.

Jersey off-shore.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I grew up in the one corner of Connecticut that is shaded blue, and I have literally never heard of this tradition until I coincidentally came across this map just a little over a week ago.

Same. Apparently it's slightly more of a Jersey thing?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I'm from the same and you must be from either Squareford, Squarefield ,or Squarebury. Because it's definitely a thing round' here.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

The cool kids just call it "Jersey."

Joisey

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
NYCGuernseyVoice

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Alderney is famous for being the name of the fake New Jersey in Grand Theft Auto IV.

Sark is famous for feudalism.

The channel islands have a cool brassica.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Pleased to admit that I was today years old when I learned that Jersey and Guernsey are not different spellings for the same island

I blame the fact that the channel isles don’t show up as a territory in any paradox game that I’ve played

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

They're the same island, just in different time streams.

"Guernsey" is from the high middle ages and is the Middle English spelling. Jersey is the modern version.
There's some naturally occurring space time distortion going on in the English Channel.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Pleased to admit that I was today years old when I learned that Jersey and Guernsey are not different spellings for the same island

I blame the fact that the channel isles don’t show up as a territory in any paradox game that I’ve played

The Lux in Tenebris mod for EU4 not only has the Channel Islands a province but makes the one province island nation start as a march of England, which is very annoying playing as France and needing all of Normandy to complete your mission tree, so instead of Jean Bureau gunning down the norman forts and kicking rear end at Castillon, you also need to build a whole navy and win at sea just to finish the hundred years war.

Also, admittedly I don't know a lot about the political history of the islands, but it seems not correct that mainland Normandy itself is just owned and cored english land but the islands are a whole independent vassal country.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 7, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Grape posted:

They're the same island, just in different time streams.

"Guernsey" is from the high middle ages and is the Middle English spelling. Jersey is the modern version.
There's some naturally occurring space time distortion going on in the English Channel.

I stay away from temporal anomalies like Jersey and Guernsey; time travel is just not my bailiwick

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

"Guernsey" is notable for being both the most conservative part of Britain by far AND for being the most anti-Brexit at once.
The locals are extremely against abandoning the Plantagenet holdings for any reason.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m Iceland.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I’m liberated Gotland whose government has chosen the name “island”

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

I'm from Sweden and I agree with this.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

"Making Denmark bigger" is no solution for anything.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAZI5GcPm8c

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Splitting Stockholm in half seems messy... but sure why not.

I get norwegian oil money while the rest of my family south of slussen get to be pig farmers :cool:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Finland is getting the raw deal :(

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
Also, doing some research regarding the author of that image, the "Swedish problems" are - including but not limited to - feminism, immigrants, Greta Thunberg, and too high taxes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Konec Hry posted:

Also, doing some research regarding the author of that image, the "Swedish problems" are - including but not limited to - feminism, immigrants, Greta Thunberg, and too high taxes.

Norway - known for low taxes.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Nah, I think Finland is getting a great deal actually, they're getting beautiful northern Sweden for one and they get access to the huge iron ore deposit located in Kiruna that has one of the largest iron ore mines in the world, if not the largest.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Konec Hry posted:

Regardless of his reasons I'm all for his plan, he's not going to fix any of his "problems" with this solution anyway so his tears are just an added bonus.

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 9, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
wait are swedish chuds also weirdly angry about Greta Thunberg?

Kamrat posted:

Nah, I think Finland is getting a great deal actually, they're getting beautiful northern Sweden for one and they get access to the huge iron ore deposit located in Kiruna that has one of the largest iron ore mines in the world, if not the largest.

the worst deal is either Norway for getting the most swedes or Iceland for getting the largest increase in swedes per capita

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Hmm i think Denmark get the most feminazi swedes by far. They will outnumber the danes lol

Though only if one considers Skåne to be swedish to begin with :sweden:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Konec Hry posted:

"Making Denmark bigger" is no solution for anything.
Dilution of grandeur

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

wait are swedish chuds also weirdly angry about Greta Thunberg?

All chuds are weirdly angry about Greta! I even know some left-ish acquaintances that are weirdly angry about her, even though they espouse exactly the same views.

The answer is probably that misogyny knows no borders :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It was only slightly over one year ago that a Canadian oil contractor made international news for having a decal of Greta Thunberg getting hosed on their work truck.

She was seventeen years old at the time.