Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah lol I figured this out just now. I was totally not aware certain gestures were triggered by motion controls on the PlayStation! I saw my guy do it and my jaw dropped like holy crap. Because I was feeling exactly the same way.

yeah I think it's hold down X and waggle the controller. I did it by accident so many times and didn't realise how it was happening till like 3 games and a year later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Haha! I’ve never seen my character do a little hip and Yeehah dance that’s so awesome. Havel took me three attempts to learn to bait out his jumping heavy attack and whack him a bunch immediately after. I just played it slow and baited those out and won.

https://twitter.com/blind_rasputin/status/1367672012416503813?s=21

From what you all said and some info in the wiki, the drakeblood greatsword doesn’t sound very great on paper. It scales D only with strength and dex, and does split physical, magic, and lightning damage. But since getting it I’ve upgraded it to +8 (I have a ton of supplies at this point) and it’s such a great weapon for me?? Is this bad? It does a ton of damage, fast (I don’t like the slowness of ultra greatswords so far), and is so light I can wear Gundyr’s armor... which is a huge defense upgrade for me. I feel like a loving tank. I think the lightning/magic damage also goes far in this archdragon peak right now because the enemies all suck.

I absolutely hate these pesky rock lizards.

Well, I’m gearing up for the nameless king fight. I have been avoiding all spoilers and fight info. But I’m aware it’s like the hardest fight in the game. I figure if I’ve come this far, and killed the champion gundyr.. I can do it too.

There are no bad weapons! Go nuts!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

goblin week posted:

There are no bad weapons! Go nuts!

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
for me, ds3 is easily the most fun dark souls game to play. the combat is pretty great

still love ds1 the most though. that game had an effect on me

still find myself thinking about the ds2 dlcs pretty frequently too

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Yeah I think DS3 is the one that feels the best to engage with moment-to-moment

DS1 and pre-remake DeS feel fine but they're too easy, good if you wanna just zone out, haven't played the DeS remake

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

feelix posted:

Yeah I think DS3 is the one that feels the best to engage with moment-to-moment

DS1 and pre-remake DeS feel fine but they're too easy, good if you wanna just zone out, haven't played the DeS remake

I love all the games, but the one thing that bugs me more than anything else is how estus flasks work while invading in DS 3. The way DS 2 handled it was great and made the PvP fun for me, but in DS 3 it felt more like a battle of attrition.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Mesadoram posted:

I love all the games, but the one thing that bugs me more than anything else is how estus flasks work while invading in DS 3. The way DS 2 handled it was great and made the PvP fun for me, but in DS 3 it felt more like a battle of attrition.
huh? In DS2, invaders can't heal at all except with spells while hosts can do whatever they want

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

feelix posted:

huh? In DS2, invaders can't heal at all except with spells while hosts can do whatever they want

Yup, it made invading feel like a "challenge" instead of who has more heals. Also the way estus worked in that game healing took longer so it was a terribly big deal if the host popped one.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
DS3 feels like they actually thought about it, unlike DS2 where they just did the first thing I came to mind. That doesn't mean that the considered design they arrived at in DS3 won't be less preferable to some people than the DS2 design.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

feelix posted:

DS3 feels like they actually thought about it, unlike DS2 where they just did the first thing I came to mind. That doesn't mean that the considered design they arrived at in DS3 won't be less preferable to some people than the DS2 design.

I feel like the DS 3 model just made the invasions last too long. In DS 2 I am in and out in a few minutes, in DS 3 it could go on for like 10-15 minutes depending on the hosts "dedication" to staying alive. I can understand why they went with what they did with DS 3, it's a preference thing I suppose.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i like the ds3 invasion system well enough

most of my fights are over within 3-5 estus chugs

lots of weapons and spells seem designed to catch and punish runners trying to break away for estus

plus, i try to keep all my fighting in a tight area for specifically that reason: ain't nowhere to run

spear of the church is my fav pvp and that doesn't allow estus, but the spear ornament provides plenty of cover for miracle healing so its kind of a wash

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Just wrecked a twinked out PVP build on the road of sacrifices with an uchigatana weapon art parry. This game is good man.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Mesadoram posted:

I feel like the DS 3 model just made the invasions last too long.
Undead Hunter Charms are your friend.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

AAAHHH! I can’t believe I did it. It took a lot of tries today, a lot of learning and adjusting my loadout. I got to the point where I could kill the dragon without even getting hit, most times, but then the Nameless King would just wreck me. Usually because I would be out of sync with him and not blocking or rolling perfectly in time with him. What a hell of a fight.

On this run, I honestly had THE worst start possible. Probably the worst I’d had in an hour or so. I miss-timed the rolls for all his lightning slams, was getting fully owned by the drat camera, the dragon didn’t even fall down for the critical at ~50% health like in every other run! Like, gently caress me lol. And then I got to Nameless King and right out the gate got slapped so hard I figured I’d be dead like every other run. But, you can see the exact moment I got on the ball and focused up. And then I dodged nearly every hit and beat his rear end. I couldn’t believe it. I screamed so loud I scared my cat.

https://youtu.be/Q_G_ex48So0

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Man I hate the Twin Princes fight so much. The only real enemy here is the camera. Nothing like an enemy teleporting directly behind you where you can't see them mid-attack and taking away another two minutes of your life while you ride a long rear end elevator yet again.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

feelix posted:

at least in sotfs hosts and phantoms are both locked out of healing while an invader is present (including npc invaders)

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

giZm posted:

Undead Hunter Charms are your friend.

they're very easy to dodge, and even if you get hit you can just run away/roll until they wear off. legit ds3 has a massive problem with invaders and hosts drinking during invasions and i much prefer ds2's system

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Mesadoram posted:

Yup, it made invading feel like a "challenge" instead of who has more heals. Also the way estus worked in that game healing took longer so it was a terribly big deal if the host popped one.

it's the most boring meta when an invader in the first zone has max charges on an estus flask with max effectiveness versus your unupgraded, minimum uses estus. top-tier pvp strategy, just have 20x the resources of the person you're trying to kill

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
hosts in ds3 also have a huge advantage in that they can run back to the bonfire and summon white's indefinitely, they can also passively summon blues

Or even just escape by running away to a boss fog gate

honestly the only fun I have invading in DS3 is fight clubs, or the chaos of the swamp, where you invade and theres sometimes a wild 4 way fight going on between host+summons/reds/purples/watchdogs

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I like invading Archives because it becomes shutes & ladders but for keeps.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Frida Call Me posted:

it's the most boring meta when an invader in the first zone has max charges on an estus flask with max effectiveness versus your unupgraded, minimum uses estus. top-tier pvp strategy, just have 20x the resources of the person you're trying to kill

Yup :smith:, I don't get how that is satisfying for people.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Twinks have always been an issue in souls games, but I suppose DS3 took it to whole new level.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

And Tyler Too! posted:

I got invaded during my first trip to Archives this run and the guy just kept trying to bait me to run up some stairs instead of fighting. It's been a few years so I didn't remember much, and after awhile some phantoms showed up to help so I followed, figuring we could handle whatever was up there. It was just a trick to get us into a room full of wax priests and we all got covered in wax and immobilized and easily picked off :negative:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

Some people like to piss in the kiddie pool.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mesadoram posted:

Some people are acutely aware that they are garbage and so in order to have fun, must exploit flaws in the system to have any chance of winning and then they can go "pwned get rekt" and revel in the frustration they've caused on low level beginners

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

codo27 posted:

Some people are acutely aware that they are garbage and so in order to have fun, must exploit flaws in the system to have any chance of winning and then they can go "pwned get rekt" and revel in the frustration they've caused on low level beginners

*points down* le epic pwn :smug:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I still haven’t tried any pvp activities besides having the way of blue thing assigned. I got invaded exactly one time while embered after killing Crystal sage and I died because the person seemed to have way better loot than me, and parried literally every single hit I tried to get in.

I think I’m all the way through grand archives, and the next boss in the huge castle up the stairs from the elevator shortcut must be Prince Lothric. I imagine this is “final boss hard.” Any tips?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
If I remember the right one, the castle lothric boss is one of the most fun bosses and has a gimmick that I don't want to spoil.
Not especially hard, but they have a combo where they can break lockon and then oneshot you before you find them again.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

I still haven’t tried any pvp activities besides having the way of blue thing assigned. I got invaded exactly one time while embered after killing Crystal sage and I died because the person seemed to have way better loot than me, and parried literally every single hit I tried to get in.

I think I’m all the way through grand archives, and the next boss in the huge castle up the stairs from the elevator shortcut must be Prince Lothric. I imagine this is “final boss hard.” Any tips?

Facehug Lorian, bring a black knight or dragon crest shield if you don't trust your dodging.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Smol posted:

Twinks have always been an issue in souls games, but I suppose DS3 took it to whole new level.
not at all lol

compare to original ds1 where you could invade undead burg with a maxed out chaos weapon and 1 or 2 shot people who would do single digit damage to you thru your maxed out armor, and also you had a stack of 99 humanities that full heal you

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Well I faced Lorain and lothric once just a bit ago. Which one is which? I think lothric is the skinny unhealthy looking mage? The first fight was.. very easy. Against Lorain I assume (I guess I thought the one with the crown would be lothric the prince). Huge openings and seemed just really to be a slow fight. I either blocked or dodged and somehow poise broke him 2/3 of the way through and killed him. But, lol, the second stage.. first off, awesome cutscene. I started fighting and got confused at the two health bars and started thinking that meant lothric would be a separate boss somewhere else in the arena. I just stood there looking for him and couldn’t find him anywhere. Then I realized, as a giant white fire sword slammed me like through the floor, killing me, that he had never left lorian’s back.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
In the second phase - damaging Lorian doesn't matter as much because he just gets resurrected, it's all about dodging through/circling around and hitting Lothric from behind.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

IronicDongz posted:

not at all lol

compare to original ds1 where you could invade undead burg with a maxed out chaos weapon and 1 or 2 shot people who would do single digit damage to you thru your maxed out armor, and also you had a stack of 99 humanities that full heal you

also you had 99 soft humanity that gave you the passive defense bonus of a lvl100 character while you were sl1

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Use a lightning resin/bundle for the second part of Twin Princes.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

And Tyler Too! posted:

Yeah actually archives shenanigans can be fun

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Twin princes is such a great fight thematically and mechanically. Going into this one blind was a real treat.

"The gently caress is this rear end in a top hat? Emma didn't tell nothin bout no big bro"

Then in phase 2

"Oh poo poo it's like the lothric castle mobs but boss edition, fuckin cool"

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah, I loved it. I avoided all spoilers for all the bosses and it took me a bit to figure out who is who (I assumed the crown meant prince, but I was wrong). The fight is also hard, but definitely learnable. Phase one has only a few moves and only a few different timings for each move, and phase two was much easier. Just surviving enough to kill off the brother once put lothric in the open and clinched it for me.

Soul of Cinder, however, gently caress I could not learn that hardly at all. I felt like every attack had a different timing from initial-move to final swing, and there was few if any ways to tell what attack would be what, and attacks seemed almost perfectly timed to intercept the end of a roll or the last frame of chugging estus. Brutal. I felt like I got a lucky roll on the first phase when I finally won. I would take the Nameless King over it any day.

I just started ashes of ariendel. Is there a lore description of this place or if why I’m there? I gathered there is a lady there who is “of the flame”, like myself, but the world and its people are literally rotting and they want me to “burn the world away” as in burn the rot away and relight the world with fire and warmth and goodness. The lady tricked people or something. The dead featherless bird corpses that wake up and attack you in the first watery stream area in the town are people who’ve rotted. I take it. Why are there farron knights and Nordic soldiers up above the town, then.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah, I loved it. I avoided all spoilers for all the bosses and it took me a bit to figure out who is who (I assumed the crown meant prince, but I was wrong). The fight is also hard, but definitely learnable. Phase one has only a few moves and only a few different timings for each move, and phase two was much easier. Just surviving enough to kill off the brother once put lothric in the open and clinched it for me.

Soul of Cinder, however, gently caress I could not learn that hardly at all. I felt like every attack had a different timing from initial-move to final swing, and there was few if any ways to tell what attack would be what, and attacks seemed almost perfectly timed to intercept the end of a roll or the last frame of chugging estus. Brutal. I felt like I got a lucky roll on the first phase when I finally won. I would take the Nameless King over it any day.

I just started ashes of ariendel. Is there a lore description of this place or if why I’m there? I gathered there is a lady there who is “of the flame”, like myself, but the world and its people are literally rotting and they want me to “burn the world away” as in burn the rot away and relight the world with fire and warmth and goodness. The lady tricked people or something. The dead featherless bird corpses that wake up and attack you in the first watery stream area in the town are people who’ve rotted. I take it. Why are there farron knights and Nordic soldiers up above the town, then.

You’re inside a decaying scrap of a painting being carried by the weird old slave knight Gael. Gael wants you to find his lady and help her paint a new painting since this one is all gross. Sister Friede wants you should go away and let it rot in peace.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

gently caress that I want to paint a new painting. This isn’t the dragonscale helm it’s bob ross hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
twin princes is my favorite fight in any souls game; sekiro is not a souls game